Photo

Joey Dunlop's races in Scotland

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IanMH

IanMH

• 156 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:44

Saw Joey at East Fortune ...I think it was 1977...made a big impression...although he didn't win , I can still remember the yellow helmet...you kinda knew you were seeing someone who would go on to great things...he may have also raced at Knockhill in the early80's superbike races with Ron Haslam and Andy McGladdery IIRC, anyone got any more info on his Scottish appearances?...Cheers Ian :wave:

Advertisement

#2 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:32

hi ian, you are correct that joey raced at east fortune but im sure this was 1976 and he won one race, great track near haddington.

i remember joey at Knockhill and that was 1976 for sure, dont know where he finished, he was also at croft that year but i dont remember him anymore than that.

just to let you know its the jock taylor 30th anniversary meeting next weekend at east fortune, they are currently restoring jocks sidecar using original parts so they are hoping to disply it :smoking:

Edited by rd500, 03 July 2012 - 09:38.

#3 IanMH

IanMH

• 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:31

Thanks rd, was way off with the Knockhill memory, although there was a J. Dunlop from N.I. at Knockhill in 1980, it was Jim Dunlop!
I didn't attend any Scottish M/C meetings prior to 1977, so could not have seen him at Knockhill.

I've had a rummage in the loft and I actually had the programme for Joey's appearance at East Fortune, it was 31st July 1977 and his results were

1000cc heat 2 3rd
1000cc final 2nd to Jock Findlay
350cc 5th
250cc 1st

There was also a solo invitation at the end of the day which he may have taken part in, but I have not noted.

Jock Taylor with passenger Lewis Ward at that time, won his heat and the final at this meeting.

Hard to believe it's 30 years...where does the time go?

Cheers Ian :wave:

#4 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 21:01

aha, 77 it must have been EF, mabye he done both years?

i was sure he won at least 1 race which is now confirmed, yes 30 years for jock :cry:

a wonderful man indeed, knew how to drive a sidecar with the best of them.

#5 johnyC

johnyC

• 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 22:40

aha, 77 it must have been EF, mabye he done both years?

i was sure he won at least 1 race which is now confirmed, yes 30 years for jock :cry:

a wonderful man indeed, knew how to drive a sidecar with the best of them.

I remember hearing the sad news about Jock, on tv in the bar in Ullapool I was working in at the time. I never saw him race at East fortune, but I did see Mac Hobson racing a tz700 outfit there for the first time, forget the year though.

Edited by johnyC, 03 July 2012 - 22:41.