* * * * - 3 votes

Maria de Villota suffers testing crash at Duxford [split]

• Please log in to reply
1385 replies to this topic

#1 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:21

Reports that the marussia crashed into a stationary vehicle today during test.

Advertisement

#2 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:22

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eshire-18685789

Sounds serious

#3 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:23

"BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said the the car had completed a circuit when it "suddenly accelerated" into the back of the lorry"

:(

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:24

I don't like how this story is developing at all.

#5 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:26

Never good to have a confirmation of injury and no details..

#6 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:31

I don't like how this story is developing at all.

Agreed. With nothing announced regarding her health I'm starting to fear the worst.

#7 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:35

It sounds more mechanical to me than driver error so far.

#8 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:37

Surely the truck should not have been parked within contact distance of the car?

She has driven an F1 car before, this sounds like a mechanical failure.

#9 Foo-Ha

Foo-Ha

• 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:40

It sounds more mechanical to me than driver error so far.

This is second (or third) hand information, but I read on Twitter that the BBC reporter on scene described it as a throttle that may have been stuck open. :|

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Surely the truck should not have been parked within contact distance of the car?

She has driven an F1 car before, this sounds like a mechanical failure.

Yeah a lorry, Christ, it's hard to think of something more deadly to a racing car driver.

#11 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 542 posts

http://t.co/elfFxlic - Eyewitness report from BBC Cambridgeshire's Chris Mann via audioboo. Air ambulance has been called, Mann says car only doing 20mph at impact

UPDATE: BBC says she has been seriously injured.

Edited by BrendanMcF, 03 July 2012 - 09:47.

#12 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46

According to Andrew Benson on twitter, she has been seriously injured.

#13 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:47

http://t.co/elfFxlic - Eyewitness report from BBC Cambridgeshire's Chris Mann via audioboo. Air ambulance has been called, Mann says car only doing 20mph at impact

still not nice if it was a normal truck which could have cleared the normal crash structures

#14 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:47

The thing that worries me is the fact an Air Ambulance has been called. You don't call an Air Ambulance just to be on the safe side because Ambulance crews would have made this decision and its only done in serious circumstances.

#15 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52

Daily Mirror states that she is fighting for her life. I sincerely hope this is just the Mirror being sensationalist and this is an overstatement.

Either way, how terrible. :(

#16 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52

According to Andrew Benson on twitter, she has been seriously injured.

:|

Let's hope she recovers.

#17 Foo-Ha

Foo-Ha

• 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:53

The thing that worries me is the fact an Air Ambulance has been called.

Between that, Andrew Benson's report that the injuries are believed to be serious, and the utter silence from Marussia, this is not good at all. This is very bad.

I really hope I'm wrong.

#18 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:56

:|

Let's hope she recovers.

This is truly dreadful. She'd only completed a single installation lap. Presumably, that was the first lap she'd ever driven in the car.

Really hope she comes through OK.

#19 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:56

It sounds really bad.. first thing that springs to mind is likely head injury.. really curious how it happened because I'm not seeing why a F1 car should be on a collision course with a truck, ever..

Advertisement

#20 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58

Daily Mirror states that she is fighting for her life. I sincerely hope this is just the Mirror being sensationalist and this is an overstatement.

Either way, how terrible. :(

Ah the Mirror says she crashed into the side of a loading ramp, on the way into the pits. So maybe not an underrun head contact as you would fear. Let's hope.

#21 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59

Time for the FIA to step in, those straight line tests should be made at proper tracks with walls, not on aircrafts with trucks and no safety walls around.

#22 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02

Time for the FIA to step in, those straight line tests should be made at proper tracks with walls, not on aircrafts with trucks and no safety walls around.

The straight line tests are done on the runway. It sounds like this happened when she was driving back to the team's awning afterwards.

#23 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:04

Well if they did that, then they'd also have to stop demonstration days because those take place in similar circumstances with a single truck, a tent and some engineers.

If the reports are accurate she was being reversed into the tent area and the car has shot forward and hit the side of the truck. Sounds to me like a freak accident rather than a lack of safety.

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:04

It sounds really bad.. first thing that springs to mind is likely head injury.. really curious how it happened because I'm not seeing why a F1 car should be on a collision course with a truck, ever..

The trucks are usually at the end of the track being used and form the pit area around which they operate from.

#25 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:06

Ah the Mirror says she crashed into the side of a loading ramp, on the way into the pits. So maybe not an underrun head contact as you would fear. Let's hope.

I really hope so. But I fear the talk of serious injury and air ambulances from a 20-30mph impact suggests something very bad. :(

I really hope we're all wrong about this - we don't know nearly the full facts yet - and that it is perhaps just a leg injury or something and that makes a full and speedy recovery!

#26 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 745 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:07

really curious how it happened because I'm not seeing why a F1 car should be on a collision course with a truck, ever..

For those who haven't been to straight line testing at Duxford...

The teams usually setup on the edge of the runway apron with all their support trucks and a marquee to use as a pits area.

The cars drive up a access road to the runway, run each way and then trundle back to the 'pits' via the access road. When they return they are pointing straight at the trucks, if a driver accelerated instead of breaking they would go straight under a truck - but that they would is pretty unimaginable.

Have to wonder when she last drove a car with left foot braking...

#27 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire reporting Maria de Villota sustained "life threatening injuries" and has been taken to Addenbrookes Hospital

#28 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Terrible news, sounds also like electronics went mad. Life threatning injury in a formula one car that hit the back of lorry. Hope she had her crash helmet on in her car. I hope for the best. remind me of Kubica accident where we experienced the terrifying news being more or less true...

#29 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13

This is probably not the attention Marussia wanted. Hoping the driver is ok.
There will be speculation/updates as more media picks up the story.

The team has made a statement now:
http://www.marussiaf...m.com/news/620/

Edit: Seems there was a Sky crew on the scene.

Edited by Red17, 03 July 2012 - 10:14.

#30 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13

What the.....To crash on what is a constant speed test run must mean catastrphic component failure. I can see the FIA mandatind a superlicence for all F1 testing from now on.

#31 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:14

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire reporting Maria de Villota sustained "life threatening injuries" and has been taken to Addenbrookes Hospital

Oh :( . Have to worry.

#32 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:15

What the.....To crash on what is a constant speed test run must mean catastrphic component failure. I can see the FIA mandatind a superlicence for all F1 testing from now on.

It wasn't even a run. The car was touring back to the team after a run had finished. A superlicence wouldn't prevent this happening.

#33 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:18

BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said the car had completed a circuit when it "suddenly accelerated" into the back of the lorry.

"From where I was standing it looked like the helmet took the brunt of the impact," he said.
'Terrible moment'

"Strangely, the car suddenly accelerated into the lorry and the car went careering into the side of the loading board."

He added: "There was a terrible moment when everyone was just very shocked by the impact and the suddenness of what had happened."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eshire-18685789

Definitely bad.. :(

#34 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:18

Because of what appears to be serious injuries i do think some comments should be held back until we find out more.

Hope she is ok.

#35 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:20

An official team statement followed minutes later:

‘At approximately 09.15hrs BST this morning, the Marussia F1 Team’s Test Driver Maria De Villota had an accident in the team’s MR-01 race car at Duxford Airfield where she was testing the car for the first time. The accident happened at the end of her first installation run and involved an impact with the team’s support truck.

Maria has been transferred to hospital. Once her medical condition has been assessed a further statement will be issued.’

More details will follow when the next bulletin is issued by Marussia.

#36 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:21

This is probably not the attention Marussia wanted. Hoping the driver is ok.
There will be speculation/updates as more media picks up the story.

The team has made a statement now:
http://www.marussiaf...m.com/news/620/

Edit: Seems there was a Sky crew on the scene.

Typical that they can't bring themselves to simply say what happened but have this compulsion to hedge and obfuscate: "involved an impact with the team's support truck" :rolleyes: .

Anyway I'll quote this for those who've missed it:

If the reports are accurate she was being reversed into the tent area and the car has shot forward and hit the side of the truck.

#37 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:22

This is my first time even hearing of Maria de Villota. I wish that I could have gotten acquainted with her name under better circumstances. Hoping she'll be okay and make a speedy recovery.

#38 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:22

Because of what appears to be serious injuries i do think some comments should be held back until we find out more.

Hope she is ok.

Indeed i thought more people would have a more caring attitude. Its not a matter to joke about. Sounds like a car failure to me.

Edited by Massa_f1, 03 July 2012 - 10:23.

#39 renaultFan

renaultFan

• 295 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:23

Hope she's ok, crash sounds awful :(

Advertisement

#40 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:24

Indeed i thought more people would have a more caring attitude. Its not a matter to joke about. Sounds like a car failure to me.

:up:

#41 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:26

Why the car is reversed into the tent area with engine on? I hope she had the latest helmet with titanium plank over the visor.

Edited by ivand911, 03 July 2012 - 10:28.

#42 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:26

I really wish her well and hope she gets through this okay. :(

but she really shouldn't have been in that car, I hope they learn from this and stick to their normal drivers/test drivers.

#43 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 849 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:27

Even for the internet forums, I cannot believe the crap some folk think it's funny/acceptable to post up here. :mad:

Godspeed Maria de Villota. I hope you make a fast recovery. :(

Edited by BillyWhizz, 03 July 2012 - 10:28.

#44 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:28

but she really shouldn't have been in that car, I hope they learn from this and stick to their normal drivers/test drivers.

It wasn't her fault, it was clearly a component failure.

#45 silversurf3r

silversurf3r

• 306 posts

SSN just spoke with a reporter who was at the test. She stated that the car Was on the way back into the pits when the cars front wheels locked and she collided with the teams truck. She remained in the car for at least 20 mins after the collision and at that point reporters were asked to leave. Doesn't sound good.
Fingers crossed for her.

#46 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

I really wish her well and hope she gets through this okay. :(

we dont know anything yet so it could be anything. If it was her fault though it was obviously just a mistake, and active f1 drivers never make mistakes do they?

#47 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:29

Simply don't know enough about this yet to make a serious comment, but sounds like someone has really screwed up badly.

#48 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:29

we dont know anything yet so it could be anything. If it was her fault though it was obviously just a mistake, and active f1 drivers never make mistakes do they?

I never said it was her fault, I wasn't blaming her at all, I just hope she gets through this.

#49 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30

Why the car is reversed into the tent area with engine on? I hope she had the latest helmet with titanium plank over the visor.

Exactly. This is what I'm asking myself.

#50 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30

The data logging will reveal if it was driver or hardware error very soon. Until then, speculation is just ********. A lady, regardless of her credentials, is fighting for her life from doing something we all love. Have some effing humility!