* * * * - 3 votes

Maria de Villota suffers testing crash at Duxford [split]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1306 replies to this topic

#51 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34

The data logging will reveal if it was driver or hardware error very soon. Until then, speculation is just retarded. A lady, regardless of her credentials, is fighting for her life from doing something we all love. Have some effing humility!

^ This. No one has a clue what caused the accident, for God's sake.

Advertisement

#52 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:36

Well if they did that, then they'd also have to stop demonstration days because those take place in similar circumstances with a single truck, a tent and some engineers.

If the reports are accurate she was being reversed into the tent area and the car has shot forward and hit the side of the truck. Sounds to me like a freak accident rather than a lack of safety.

Sop the engine was still on while it was pulled back to stationally under the tent. Mechanics controls the car in most cases as driver cannot view the back of the car, we all know that. what and how launch the car is still unknown, we may not know, neither. Sounds like pure accident to me. In either ways, FIA should mandate the testing equipments placement in all situations?

#53 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

SSN just spoke with a reporter who was at the test. She stated that the car Was on the way back into the pits when the cars front wheels locked and she collided with the teams truck. She remained in the car for at least 20 mins after the collision and at that point reporters were asked to leave. Doesn't sound good.
Fingers crossed for her.

Maybe the clutch simply didn't disengage...

One report says the front wheel locked and another says the car suddenly accelerated, so something not quite right happened there before the collision.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 03 July 2012 - 10:39.

#54 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 512 posts

The data logging will reveal if it was driver or hardware error very soon. Until then, speculation is just retarded. A lady, regardless of her credentials, is fighting for her life from doing something we all love. Have some effing humility!

Agreed.

#55 slideways

slideways

• 3,309 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:37

Oh crap I hope she's OK. :eek:

#56 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 338 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:37

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. would be enough

#57 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:38

Some of the comments here are just sad.
I myself think she was a PR stunt. But there is a diference bettween lack of speed and dumb.
She reportedly spent some time on the simulator and there was no way the team would put her in car if she did't know the basics. (and lets forget she did some laps on 2 diferent ocasions on a renault without issues last year). As for the experience argument, if it was Glock in the car im sure there would be people screaming why they risked Timo in a test when they had test drivers.

At this point all points out to something going bad in the car at the wrong time. But as all theories its pure expeculation.

Edited by Red17, 03 July 2012 - 10:40.

#58 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,245 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:39

SSN just spoke with a reporter who was at the test. She stated that the car Was on the way back into the pits when the cars front wheels locked and she collided with the teams truck. She remained in the car for at least 20 mins after the collision and at that point reporters were asked to leave. Doesn't sound good.
Fingers crossed for her.

F1 tyres are extremely sensitive to low temperatures as we know, and if she only had done a run without pushing she might have left her tyres cold and brakes cold aswell, thus having no feeling in the pedal and suddenly locking them up.

We also know that it rained during the night and therefore the skidding of the car.

#59 Foo-Ha

Foo-Ha

• 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:42

This lady has had a serious accident and criticizing her racing abilities is a little crude and distasteful IMO.

Yeah, I think it's at least as easy to make the leap to "Marussia shouldn't be an F1 team" as to say de Villota shouldn't have been in the car.

But the fact is, they are and she was. Now we're all hoping and praying she can fully recover.

Advertisement

#60 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:42

From Press Association wires:

"The front of the Marussia car was destroyed in the crash and De Villota's helmet was seen to impact with the side of the truck.
De Villota was reportedly motionless for around 15 minutes as paramedics attended to her but was seen to move her hands before being transported to hospital."

#61 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:44

Yeah, I think it's at least as easy to make the leap to "Marussia shouldn't be an F1 team" as to say de Villota shouldn't have been in the car.

But the fact is, they are and she was. Now we're all hoping and praying she can fully recover.

Quite agree. I keep checking twitter and news sites but no real news yet. Hopefully no news is good news at this point. :)

#62 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

F1 tyres are extremely sensitive to low temperatures as we know, and if she only had done a run without pushing she might have left her tyres cold and brakes cold aswell, thus having no feeling in the pedal and suddenly locking them up.

We also know that it rained during the night and therefore the skidding of the car.

You have concluded she was coming in too fast.. but there is a report from the BBC guy saying the car suddenly accelerated. The wheel locking could have happened after this sudden acceleration, that's my impression anyway..

#63 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,500 posts

They usually use wet tyres in these tests as they heat very quickly.

#64 kraduk

kraduk

• 291 posts

correct me if im wrong but dont they use different rubber on these kinds of tests?

#65 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Its all pretty shocking, all we can hope is she gets better.

#66 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:45

You have concluded she was coming in too fast.. but there is a report from the BBC guy saying the car suddenly accelerated. The wheel locking could have happened after this sudden acceleration, that's my impression anyway..

If the throttle stuck open she'd have probably jammed the brakes on, hence the locking.

#67 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,889 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:47

I really hope so. But I fear the talk of serious injury and air ambulances from a 20-30mph impact suggests something very bad. :(

I really hope we're all wrong about this - we don't know nearly the full facts yet - and that it is perhaps just a leg injury or something and that makes a full and speedy recovery!

The use of an air ambulance relates to speed of access to the accident site. It also allows rapid extraction to a major trauma centre, I'm guessing for Duxford that might be Addenbrooke's. To sustain a head injury in a modern F1 car needs an intrusion into the cockpit.

#68 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 537 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:48

Possibly caused by inexperience with the anti-stall according to Racecar engineering:

http://www.racecar-e...-testing-crash/

#69 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Speechless :(

#70 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

If the throttle stuck open she'd have probably jammed the brakes on, hence the locking.

Yeah.. or simply the clutch didn't disengage as she was trying to come to a stop... I dunno about killing the engine with the brakes on these cars..

#71 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

I really wish her well and hope she gets through this okay. :(

but she really shouldn't have been in that car, I hope they learn from this and stick to their normal drivers/test drivers.

Even if it was her fault, she did test before with renault f1, twice if I remember correctly. She also competed in other singleseater series, and she has been in the simulator all this year.

I can't see how she lacks experience to do straightline tests, so seriously, don't say stupid stuff like that.

#72 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49

That'd be my guess, too. But let's just hope she will be all right in the end.

#73 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,029 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:50

Oh my god, that is horrible.

I didn't even know you were allowed to run an F1 car these days without a quick response safety crew being there. If I understand reports correctly, they first had to call an ambulance?

No matter how private an F1 test is, or even if it is a show run (F1 cars doing donuts on Times Square with 10.000 people around really creeps the ... out of me), they all should have an ambulance with its engine running ready.

I hope it is not as critical as it sounds right now :|

EDIT: According to Helen Brown, an ambulance was already on the scene:
http://www1.skysport...ured-in-testing

The fire truck can obviously been seen very close by on both the photos directly before and after the incident:
http://twitpic.com/a3e6py/full
http://twitpic.com/a3duh9/full

Edited by anbeck, 03 July 2012 - 12:33.

#74 slideways

slideways

• 3,309 posts

“BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said the car had completed a circuit when it “suddenly accelerated” into the back of the lorry. From where I was standing it looked like the helmet took the brunt of the impact,” he said. “Strangely, the car suddenly accelerated into the lorry and the car went careering into the side of the loading board.”

Helmet took brunt of the impact oh no.

Edited by slideways, 03 July 2012 - 10:50.

#75 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Possibly caused by inexperience with the anti-stall according to Racecar engineering:

makes sense..

#76 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,287 posts

Best whises, I hope she is OK.

#77 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,028 posts

I'm not sure why a live F1 car was even on the same piece of tarmac as a truck - surely there was always a chance this was going to happen

#78 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:51

The impact speed is understood to have been low-speed – some reports are stating just 20-30mph – but reports have been published claiming the 32-year-old’s injuries are serious.

Posted Image
Bell helmet with plank.

RacecarEngineer: Looks like De Villota got caught out by the anti stall http://t.co/9m4C5cQv

#79 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

I love this woman! :( I can't stand if something bad happens to her... :cry:

From the info available, and knowing the height of the truck, it looks like a direct hit in the face! :( and this silence is worrying...

Advertisement

#80 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

From Press Association wires:

"The front of the Marussia car was destroyed in the crash and De Villota's helmet was seen to impact with the side of the truck.
De Villota was reportedly motionless for around 15 minutes as paramedics attended to her but was seen to move her hands before being transported to hospital."

Oh well that's a better scenario than I was fearing, I suppose, if the car did at least absorb some energy.

#81 Absulute

Absulute

• 880 posts

Best wishes to Maria.

#82 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,028 posts

Oh my god, that is horrible.

I didn't even know you were allowed to run an F1 car these days without a quick response safety crew being there. If I understand reports correctly, they first had to call an ambulance?

No matter how private an F1 test is, or even if it is a show run (F1 cars doing donuts on Times Square with 10.000 people around really creeps the ... out of me), they all should have an ambulance with its engine running ready.

I hope it is not as critical as it sounds right now :|

:up: Best wishes, I hope she pulls through

Edited by Spillage, 03 July 2012 - 10:51.

#83 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,245 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52

Or there might have been a combination, a system error that made the car accelerade (for instance throttle jam on a downshift) and the cold tyres/brakes made it hard to stop the car.
I have read the reports of her having 20-30 mph on impact, if she acceleraded before or not i dont know.

They usually use wet tyres in these tests as they heat very quickly.

I thought they only used wets for roadshows and such.. Because it would be more of a data-related benefit to use tyres with the same profile as the racing slicks during aero tests.. not saying it's the same rubber mixture tho...

correct me if im wrong but dont they use different rubber on these kinds of tests?

Yes, a different type of mixture but the tyres has the same profile.

#84 jee

jee

• 733 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52

It would not be the first person to suffer an accident because of a wrong reflex with an unknown car.
Gonzalo Rodriguez springs into my mind.

#85 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:53

The use of an air ambulance relates to speed of access to the accident site. It also allows rapid extraction to a major trauma centre, I'm guessing for Duxford that might be Addenbrooke's. To sustain a head injury in a modern F1 car needs an intrusion into the cockpit.

Yes, Addenbrooke's is the main destination for the air ambulance around the Duxford area.

#86 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:53

would the front of the car be completely destroyed if the speed was as low as 20-30mph?

#87 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:55

It would not be the first person to suffer an accident because of a wrong reflex with an unknown car.

Unfortunately for Gonzo, he was going considerably faster when his throttle stuck open. :cry:

#88 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:56

would the front of the car be completely destroyed if the speed was as low as 20-30mph?

With the front of the car I guess they meant Front wing, front suspensions, mirrors... yeah, perfectly possible to destroy those if you crash with a 30 ton truck.

#89 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Still very conflicting reports. :rolleyes:

#90 Foo-Ha

Foo-Ha

• 19 posts

I was wondering the same thing. I guess it could if the impact came at 20-30mph and the throttle stayed open and continued to push the front of the car into whatever it hit.

Just thinking out loud. I could be completely wrong.

#91 Fabien Pousset

Fabien Pousset

• 149 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:57

I fail to remember at what level Rodriguez's accident was caused by inexperience.
The guy completed at least one full race before his fatal crash.

#92 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,867 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:00

worth pointing out the car is ment to be damaged to absorb the energy

hope she recovers

#93 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01

I'd go with the reports of the guys with names instead of the 'press association' wires... I doubt the front of the cars is 'totally destroyed' in the literal sense.. prolly wing, suspensions, etc.. since it's a low speed impact.

Loading ramp was at face level though, not good..

#94 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 284 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01

Best wishes Maria!

#95 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:02

I'd go with the reports of the guys with names instead of the 'press association' wires... I doubt the front of the cars is 'totally destroyed' in the literal sense.. prolly wing, suspensions, etc.. since it's a low speed impact.

Loading ramp was at face level though, not good..

PA wire service is a highly respected news wire used in every newsroom in the country...

#96 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:03

Thoughts are with Maria :(

#97 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04

PA wire service is a highly respected news wire used in every newsroom in the country...

Let's see how it goes then..

I'm gonna trust that news service in the meantime: http://www.bbc.co.uk...eshire-18685789

#98 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,556 posts

Chris Mann, Drivetime presenter on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, witnessed the accident.
He said: "She got into the car, fired it up and did a test run at probably about 200mph in the rain.
"The car was slightly misfiring but there didn't seem to be any concerns.
"She came back into the area we were in with the engineers. She slowed down but then suddenly, inexplicably accelerated through the crowd and smashed into the side of the truck.
"The top of her car and her helmet seemed to take the brunt of it.
"She didn't move for about 15 minutes.
"Fire crews were there within seconds and the ambulance within minutes.
"After a while we thought we saw some movement of her hands but she appeared to be unconscious or unable to move for quite some time."

#99 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,022 posts

Injuries confirmed as life-threatening, hope she pulls through.

Advertisement

#100 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:05

I thought anti-stall kicked the car into neutral.