Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Who Likes the New Podium Ceremony [merged]

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

Poll: Yes/No (632 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

1. Yes (218 votes [34.71%])

Percentage of vote: 34.71%

2. No (410 votes [65.29%])

Percentage of vote: 65.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 294 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:23

Excellent concept I think.

The press room is a sterile location, where the guys have had time to compose themselves, make sure their caps are pointing forward and answer dull default questions with usually dull formulaic answers.

Quizzed on the podium, they have just finished their champagne celebration, spirits are high and the potential of a funny off-the-cuff remark or jibe is much greater. Plus the paying fans get to see another element of the GP day process being brought to them instead of the drivers being whisked away from view into the bowels of the building to be plonked down in front of the TV cameras.

Jackie is Jackie and love him or loathe him, he is British Racing Royalty and as long as he is around, he will be given the privilege of jobs such as today's.

Ken Clarke, on the other hand was the only 'dignitary' ( a bit of a misnomer probably as one would associate some form of 'dignity' with 'dignitary') who took it upon himself to stand on the higher step than the other two. I wasn't there, but I am sure he could see himself on a big screen close by and would have known that he was right there in the shot and Mark's top step images from Silverstone this year will always have his rather unpleasant mug in the frame - unless they could be photoshopped out!

So, in case you weren't sure which way I swayed, I voted 'Yes'. Good to see.

Advertisement

#52 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:30

I like it, captures the drivers at their most exhultant time much better.

By the time they get into the sterile environs of the press conference they've lost that 'kid in a candy store' mood.

#53 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:27

Surely the gods of Irony can choose better races for the Justice Secretary to give out trophies to.

like Germany 2010

#54 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,560 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:31

Much prefer the drivers being interviewed in the moment rather than in a sterile press conference. Not really much to dislike and gets a thumbs up from me. :)

#55 Rob

Rob

• 8,169 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:44

Cull the flags and the anthems, otherwise it's a step in the right direction.

#56 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:46

For the fans at the track it´s much better! For the viewers at home I prefer the normal press conference :)

#57 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:47

I'm from Yorkshire... We don't like change. :)

lol

#58 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:42

I think its brilliant. They are addressing a crowd rather than some tiny press box.

Also, the normal press conferences makes the drivers look weird sometimes while they look much more natural up there on the podium.

Is this gonna be a change for the rest of the year or was this just something for Silverstone?

#59 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:58

I like it, captures the drivers at their most exhultant time much better.

By the time they get into the sterile environs of the press conference they've lost that 'kid in a candy store' mood.

Plus I'm sure the drivers appreciate the change of scenery, I don't know how enthusiastic I would look if I was being stared at by a bunch of middle aged, sweaty, beady eyed, men with dictaphones all looking for a story.

Edited by Kvothe, 08 July 2012 - 20:30.

Advertisement

#60 Fergo

Fergo

• 145 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 20:02

I liked it, it does seem very video gameish with the background music but having a 'celebrity' interviewer is a good idea too.

#61 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:12

I'm not sure. Where is that option? On one hand I think the drivers gave a better not so serious interview, but on the other hand it was a bit over the top. I'm sure the gold medals aren't far away lol

#62 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 221 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:57

Don't really care that much to be honest, but I'd like to see this podium interview thing performed a few more times to see whether it works out or not.

#63 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:04

I liked it, especially after the problems for the fans on fri-saturday it was a nice gesture to give something back:) they should do the same in USA

#64 Risil

Risil

• 13,737 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:59

I liked it, it does seem very video gameish with the background music but having a 'celebrity' interviewer is a good idea too.

Nah, a good idea would be a proper journalist to ask them tough questions while their PR handlers can't get to them. Wonder how far you could get through articulating that sentence before the team bosses would veto it, though.

#65 reason

reason

• 132 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:29

Nobody wants to get to the podium anymore! It's so awkward.

Or at least Kimi don't want. Cause you have to speak in front of a crowd! :eek:

#66 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,769 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:31

I like that they are trying to improve things. I always that that the podium ceremony was a bit weak. Winning a Grand Prix should be a big thing and should be presented in a bigger way that was used to.

I say remove the politician from the front. They can stand on the side. The politician should also know proper etiquette. Button your jacket!

I think the music during giving out trophies was a good idea. I don't get the statements about it being videogamish. There's nothing wrong with smth just because it was in a video game and you have some bad association with it.

The confetti - they messed up that part. The drivers were in the left and the confetty in large part just missed them.

The podium interviews are a good idea. But really these are not Q&A and more a speech from a driver. Which is again fine. I reserve judgement to see how some of these play out.

#67 Zuban

Zuban

• 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:39

i really liked it, much prefered it to the usual way of things, they can still have drivers press conference after but this kept the energy and buzz of the after race going a little longer and i thought it worked well. Also given the weekends weather issues i thought it was very nice that the drivers made sure to mention the fans and thank them, no time for anyone to get in there and remind them of what to say so all seemed very genuine.

Edited by Zuban, 08 July 2012 - 23:42.

#68 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:56

It's not a terrible idea, but it was executed very poorly. It was really awkward, looked terrible on TV (needed to be better choreographed), and felt contrived to me even though the intention was for it to be the opposite of contrived.

Also, I agree with the poster who said Sir Jackie should have left his own achievements out of it. I like him and am eternally grateful for what he did to make the sport as safe as it is today, but really. Put your ego away for five minutes! Also, I'm not a fan of the "celebrity interviewer" concept in general--much better to have someone skilled at interviewing doing the job.

I do, however, like the idea of capturing the spontaneity, and of changing the old, sterile "interview room" concept. Maybe do them down in parc fermé after the podium ceremony, like the Hunt video that was posted? With a real interviewer, not some tacky "celebrity" thing that I think takes away from the achievement of the winner.

So overall, I voted no because it just came across as really lame, like something that wasn't thought out thoroughly enough.

#69 Withnail

Withnail

• 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:51

Things I liked:

- Having the top 3 interviews straight after the podium speeds things up a little, and means that those of us in parts of the world who don't get the full extended coverage, get to see the interviews when they're often cut from the broadcast to save time.

-It did give the interviews a little more personality

Things I didn't like

- The flags that flipped over when the ceremony started looked awful - like a cheap 1970s quiz show. Can't believe they've replaced the hoisting of the flags with that!

- The questions being asked weren't as insightful as those normally asked by Crofty or James Allen

#70 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:18

I think that despite seeming a bit 'cheesy' on TV, it's great that they can address the fans at the circuit more directly.

#71 john_smith

john_smith

• 242 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:51

good concept but poor execution this time. just too awkward.

#72 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:18

I voted yes, mainly because it is better for the people who turned up to see the grand prix. It is nicer for them to hear the winners, rather than travel home and then read or replay the press conference. However I do agree with the others who say that it is a little show-bizzy. But I guess it should be made better for the fans, so its all good. :up:

#73 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:31

Also, the normal press conferences makes the drivers look weird sometimes while they look much more natural up there on the podium.

And Alonso was totally smooth checking out the Lotus in the FIA area after qually? "La-di-da-di-dah, just minding my own business..."

They are racing drivers and rivals, not actors, it is never going to be totally natural conversation.

#74 andysaint

andysaint

• 247 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:06

Great for the fans that came on to the track at the end to watch it. After a tough weekend it was a nice bonus. From the tv it looked good, nice to see some humour from the drivers and them a bit relaxed.

#75 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,757 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:07

Good for the fans at the trackside therefore a good idea.

#76 Spa One

Spa One

• 344 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:50

Did i hear some members of the crowd booing Vettel? Hope I was hearing things.

#77 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:50

It looks really forced. How many years has the Ode to Joy or whatever it's called been played? It's old-fashioned, boring. Let them play the anthems, get their trophies, spray the champagne and be done with it. I'm interested in the post-race press conference for those who made the podium - the rest is very tiresome.

#78 nugat

nugat

• 102 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42

Didn't like it at all, far from making it more spontaneous it looked completely forced and awkward. The podium looks like it would be better placed on the set of a Star Wars film. And how long before one of the revolving flag boards gets stuck and some guy in a brown coat comes out to poke it with a stick :)

When Jackie Stewart started interviewing the drivers that was my queue to leave the room, cringeworthy. Can't they let the drivers enjoy the moment for five minutes without having a microphone shoved in their faces?

#79 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:14

I liked the continuity, as it feels all part of the moment.
I like the direct link to the fans, cutting out the press is a good thing.

However, someone better to conduct it.

Advertisement

#80 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:23

Yes, after the crowd supported Vettel when he won here (2009 I believe) there are still some bitter idiots booing him because of the @ Not bad for a number 2 driver comments from webber, for wing gate and the preferential treatment people believe he's getting at RB.

A shame really because Vettel seems like a nice guy, always makes time for the Silverstone crowd. It's pathetic really. I have never booed a driver, why would you do it?

Edited by pinkypants, 09 July 2012 - 09:24.

#81 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,743 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:48

English fans booing a German? Surely not!

#82 Risil

Risil

• 13,737 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11

It looks really forced. How many years has the Ode to Joy or whatever it's called been played? It's old-fashioned, boring. Let them play the anthems, get their trophies, spray the champagne and be done with it. I'm interested in the post-race press conference for those who made the podium - the rest is very tiresome.

It's from Bizet's comic opera Carmen, actually, which was old-fashioned in Bernd Rosemeyer's day. ;) Wonder when it first became a matter of course to play it on the podium... And who did it first?

It's a cute idea and I reckon a lot of fans secretly love the Euro pseudo-class it embodies. Maybe they could mix it up a little and play some Wagner tunes in Germany, Rossini in Italy, Gilbert+Sullivan in Great Britain, heh.

#83 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18

I liked it, but it would only work for the classic races. As for Ken Clarke what a tool, fed up of seeing idiots present the trophies, much rather legends of the sport did it such as Sir Stirling Moss, John Surtees, Sir Jackie Stewart, etc

#84 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:01

I liked it, but it would only work for the classic races. As for Ken Clarke what a tool, fed up of seeing idiots present the trophies, much rather legends of the sport did it such as Sir Stirling Moss, John Surtees, Sir Jackie Stewart, etc

Sometimes you get the odd gem like John Travolta giving the third placed trophy at Australia a few years back.

#85 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:06

I didn't like it to be honest... Felt more like the end of a music spectacle than the end of a race.

#86 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:15

F1 the Musical?

Don't give them ideas...

#87 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:41

I quite liked it in the end, though when it all started it felt a bit awkward. The drivers were given the opportunity to address and play to the fans. To a small extent, they each took advantage of the situation to do just that and they got some cheering back.

#88 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,636 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:14

disliked it. hope it dies quickly. Also i cant wait for someone to annoy Kimi and get shoved.

Edited by skinnylizard, 09 July 2012 - 13:15.

#89 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,366 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:12

disliked it. hope it dies quickly. Also i cant wait for someone to annoy Kimi and get shoved.

That's gonna be awkward.

Although the idea is quite good, it's a bit.. acted. They should act on it and get (only) the real journalists to the podium for questions + a local F1 hero.

#90 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:14

It might work with someone else interviewing. Jackie Stewart was a mistake - he can't resist mentioning his own achievements, and he shouldn't be allowed to address these talented and successful drivers as "young man". He might be a good guy behind the scenes, but he came across as egotistical and patronising, and he didn't show the respect that these winners deserve.

The podium should be all about the drivers, and their celebrations. Can't we just let them relax and enjoy the moment?

The typical Jackie Stewart - what else can you expect. Still fishing for compliments in his old days, he must have some real inner deficits.

Other than that, I love the new format as it does justice to the visitors on site! Apart from that the normal PC still takes places, so no harm.

#91 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,483 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:35

Any video of the podium?
I had to leave b4 the end of the race so I didnt get a chance to see it.

#92 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:53

Posted Image

Ken Clark stood in that spot through the whole of the anthems...

And flags flipped into view Blankety Blank style...

Posted Image

Bleugh!

#93 lukestanton91

lukestanton91

• 151 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:11

I liked the fresher, newer look to the Podium, apart from the flags that flipped over. That looked a bit tacky. Everything else about it was fine!

The idea of having the Interviews on the Podium is a great one, it's best to get the Drivers when they are fresh out of the Car and still pumped up, rather than have them in the sterile Press Conference environment. It's also good to have it in front of the Fans, but it might not work in places like Bahrain and Korea.

All in all, I like it! But like all new things, it needs a bit of work done to it before it's the finished article

#94 Peat

Peat

• 1,231 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:15

tacky, contrite, gareish etc etc etc.

Didn't like it. The triumphant music bed behind the interviews was the nail in the coffin and i switched over to the tennis.

#95 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:21

tacky, contrite, gareish etc etc etc.

Didn't like it. The triumphant music bed behind the interviews was the nail in the coffin and i switched over to the tennis.

Doesn't the tennis still do exactly the same thing with forced interviews with Sue Barker on the tennis court right after the match?

#96 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,698 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:26

I liked it as a one off exclusive to Silverstone idea. As the norm, and instead of the traditional press conference, no way!

#97 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:33

Posted Image

Ken Clark stood in that spot through the whole of the anthems...

And flags flipped into view Blankety Blank style...

Posted Image

Bleugh!

I cannot get over the idiocy of that man!

#98 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:00

+ it brings F1 closer to the real fans.

Exactly. I wonder how many people voting against here, were actually in the crowd that was being addressed directly by the drivers?
I've been in that crowd and you do feel rather distant at times.

#99 rt99

rt99

• 180 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:19

Also, I agree with the poster who said Sir Jackie should have left his own achievements out of it. I like him and am eternally grateful for what he did to make the sport as safe as it is today, but really. Put your ego away for five minutes!

Jackie comes across to me as a passionate ex driver, passionate about the silverstone GP and respected by current drivers. I don't think ego comes into it. He did a certain press conference in 1994 and exposed a red faced schumacher for the liar that he was, don't think anyone else managed or was brave enough to try that.

Advertisement

#100 MP422

MP422

• 1,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:22

Reminds me of the seal show at sea world !! I disliked the music and whatever they were doing.