Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Who Likes the New Podium Ceremony [merged]

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

Poll: Yes/No (632 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

1. Yes (218 votes [34.71%])

Percentage of vote: 34.71%

2. No (410 votes [65.29%])

Percentage of vote: 65.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:59

I cannot get over the idiocy of that man!

As much as I agree with that, I think the person presenting the trophy will always stand there. I noticed it during GP2.

Advertisement

#102 ANF

ANF

• 690 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 21:48

The idea of having the Interviews on the Podium is a great one, it's best to get the Drivers when they are fresh out of the Car and still pumped up, rather than have them in the sterile Press Conference environment. It's also good to have it in front of the Fans, but it might not work in places like Bahrain and Korea.

Exactly. They should be interviewed in parc fermé when the emotions are running high. Nine out of ten post-race interviews in the press room are just plain boring.

#103 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 22:11

Not a terrible idea if they had the usual James Allen or David Croft style interview. As soon as I heard Jackie Stewart say "I've won the Brittish Grand Prix twice and now you have Mark" I cringed and switched over to the tennis. Very embarrasseing. You were a legend Jackie and always will be, anyone who knows the sport will know that. But that made you look like a sad old man desperate for attention.

Edited by johnhen, 09 July 2012 - 22:12.

#104 Snic

Snic

• 564 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 22:37

You were a legend Jackie and always will be, anyone who knows the sport will know that. But that made you look like a sad old man desperate for attention.

Go wash your mouth out with soap young man!

Imagine if it had been Mansell holding that interview, he would probably have reminded Webber that his measly two was nothing compared to the FOUR times Nige won it, and of course I have no doubt he'd have mentioned how he broke the lap record for 7 laps in a row...

Love the 50/50 distribution btw :p I agree a slightly more in-depth interview would probably work a lot better

Edited by Snic, 09 July 2012 - 22:38.

#105 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:38

What's there not to like about it? For starters, we get to hear the drivers speak much sooner than if they were to go to the press con room. And the fans at the circuit get to witness the interview live. And can you imagine a situation like Alonso/Massa at the Nurburgring in 2007? They wouldn't have had time to cool off and the interview would be electric.

#106 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,988 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26

Thought it was apalling. The flip-over flags were awful, just awful.
It all seemed badly planned and the interviews were non-events.

And then you get to the numpty in the cream jacket - I did enjoy seeing the camera man cropping in close to Webber to try to get him out of the picture though.

But at least the British GP still has a proper trophy, not a 3D corporate logo on a board.

#107 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:45

I too didnt like the flags they used at all. Looked really cheap. I prefer the rasing of the flags while in the podium. I didnt mind the interviews but they are a little generic in that setting, or it may be better with someone else asking the questions. The press conf questions often were a little tougher on the drivers

#108 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 427 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:47

I think they just did it for the crowd that suffered the ordeal of going to Silverstone.
I hope it continues though and completely replaces the usual boring post race press conference.

#109 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:21

And then you get to the numpty in the cream jacket - I did enjoy seeing the camera man cropping in close to Webber to try to get him out of the picture though.

The cameraman was hilarious. The fat bloke in the jacket just pissed me off though. As someone said upthread, even the Prince of Monaco doesn't pull that crap. I wanted Mark to pitch him over the rail.

I liked the things on either side with the signatures of past winners (spotted Sir Jack Brabham in the closeups!), but the podium seemed shockingly small and the flags were just awfully tacky, looked horrible, bring back the proper flags.

I'm not sold on the interview, it seemed a bit weird, although Vettel made me :lol: for the first time in a long time when he tipped champagne over Jackie. That was funny.

I think the worst thing, is that it was trying to play to the crowd, but they didn't let the crowd run over to the podium until afterwards. That lost it for me.

#110 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:08

Bleugh!

:rotfl:

Apparently high tech F1 can't afford to put some colour led screens in the stage for the flags, even though they have dozens of them in the carpark (probably) advising which areas are full!? :confused:

#111 black magic

black magic

• 3,860 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:09

who was the idiot asking the questions?

#112 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:34

It was Jackie Stewart.

I guess he was the only guy they could find who had a big enough ego to think he could pull such a trite interview style off.

Just noticed that despite all the faux hightechness of the whole mess all they changed for the GP2 podium was to blue tac a paper poster on the backboard...

Posted Image

#113 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:56

Doesn't the tennis still do exactly the same thing with forced interviews with Sue Barker on the tennis court right after the match?

I had no problem with the interview part actually. As has been said, any chance to catch the drivers in the heat of joy/despair is better than the press conference. The music bed behind the interviews was particually offensive though. And, those 'flags'...... eeesh.

#114 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:56

:clap:

#115 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:05

Was it just for this single race ot will it reamain for the rest of the season?

#116 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:32

Was it just for this single race ot will it reamain for the rest of the season?

They said it is going to every event from now on.

#117 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,718 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 16:45

Are they going to build a similar contraption for each venue then? That would be boring. Or maybe it's just podium interviews that follow on? I hope not. Proper flags and conferences please.... I thought it was Silverstone exclusive, which would be ok. Even if every year here.

#118 Topsu

Topsu

• 785 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 18:16

What, this form will stay? Oh my lord, I hated it. What if Kimi gets on the podium again? Some ears will burn, surely.

#119 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,166 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 20:36

I don't like it. And I especially don't like those fake flags, please just put real ones up in the future.

Advertisement

#120 Fergo

Fergo

• 145 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 20:47

Are they going to build a similar contraption for each venue then? That would be boring. Or maybe it's just podium interviews that follow on? I hope not. Proper flags and conferences please.... I thought it was Silverstone exclusive, which would be ok. Even if every year here.

Ben Edwards said on BBC they would build a few different ones and alternate them at each GP.

#121 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:57

Go wash your mouth out with soap young man!

Imagine if it had been Mansell holding that interview, he would probably have reminded Webber that his measly two was nothing compared to the FOUR times Nige won it, and of course I have no doubt he'd have mentioned how he broke the lap record for 7 laps in a row...

Love the 50/50 distribution btw :p I agree a slightly more in-depth interview would probably work a lot better

If it was Mansell he'd probably have reminded us how he once pulled 5 Million Gs around here once. He's a massive tosser !

#122 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,438 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:14

I think the drivers being interviewed as they get out of the car or on the podium is great for the crowd and more chance at getting some real comments out of them before they turn into PC mode robotrons.

The cardboard flags were ordinary and the stage looked liked it was trying a bit hard but surely must be better like this for the fans that pay probs 1000 bucks over the whole wkend on the event.

#123 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:41

Today it was quite funny, I must say (the interview) :)

#124 John Player

John Player

• 426 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:48

I dont like it at all

#125 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,036 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:49

Niki Lauda's questions were a thinking man's questions, far more accurate than Jackie Stewart's self-congratulatory questions in Silverstone. Lauda's questions may not have been crowd pleasers (only Button in turn played to the crowd) but Lauda caught out Seb already on the podium (who in turn started mumbling his explanations why he thought his move was legal)

Lauda did an excellent job, at least from a motorsport fan's point of view, and it was quite daring to ask "a Spaniard in an Italian car winning in Germany" in front of everyone - Fernando doubled up by adding "in a car designed by a Greek man!" :lol:

#126 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,057 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:53

I think the drivers being interviewed as they get out of the car or on the podium is great for the crowd and more chance at getting some real comments out of them before they turn into PC mode robotrons.

The cardboard flags were ordinary and the stage looked liked it was trying a bit hard but surely must be better like this for the fans that pay probs 1000 bucks over the whole wkend on the event.

I wonder those at the venue can actually hear the banters...maybe someone who've been actually there can tell how it's like.

surely it's a nice treat for those who got seat at grand stands or pit building.

that cardboard flags at hockenheim was quite funny to me somehow. :stoned: :lol:

#127 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:00

Absolutely, I enjoyed that muuuch more than any PC made in the PC room :up: :up:

#128 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:21

Yep, it was a lot better today. :up:

#129 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 545 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:43

Niki Lauda's questions were a thinking man's questions, far more accurate than Jackie Stewart's self-congratulatory questions in Silverstone. Lauda's questions may not have been crowd pleasers (only Button in turn played to the crowd) but Lauda caught out Seb already on the podium (who in turn started mumbling his explanations why he thought his move was legal)

Lauda did an excellent job, at least from a motorsport fan's point of view, and it was quite daring to ask "a Spaniard in an Italian car winning in Germany" in front of everyone - Fernando doubled up by adding "in a car designed by a Greek man!" :lol:

:up: Also Alonso did a great job.
When done like Lauda today this is ten times betten then "obviously our car was fast today","obviously we pushed hard on the last stint" and all the other"obviously" boring nonsens we heard since Mika quit F1.

#130 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,757 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:50

I'm still undecided about it.

#131 katmen

katmen

• 572 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:54

I like it, it is more fair for spectators on site, much better than old bunker style conference! i would add to have one spectator question!

#132 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,582 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:56

I was reserving judgement, but now I've decided it's just too cheesy and so voted no.

#133 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:57

I liked Lauda´s belly... He seemed drunk.

#134 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:27

I prefer the old press conference too, especially when Peter Windsor used to conduct them. James Allen and now Croft for some reason sound , ummm less formal for lack of a better term. And now this farce.

Oh and who can forget the orange juice? :lol:

#135 beute

beute

• 1,204 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:40

RTL doesnt show the drivers press conference unless a german is on the podium, and even then they just tune in to listen to that german only and switch it off again as soon as he is finished talking.

so yes, I like it to have interviews up there, it's better than no interviews at all.

#136 fer312t

fer312t

• 793 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:11

New podium/interview session is bizarre and painful...

ruins the celebrations...

...and the Fake flags :down:

Please bring back the sit-down, unilateral TV interviews

Edited by fer312t, 23 July 2012 - 06:11.

#137 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:19

I was at Hockenheim yesterday and made it out on the track for the celebrations and I have to say this was great! It gives you an extra chance to see your idols and feel connected with them.

It was a good atmosphere and at first everyone went bananas when every driver was starting to speak and then silence as we listened with huge interest and respect. It has to be a mighty feeling for the drivers as well, to feel that appreciated.

#138 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,770 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:20

THE CCHHHAAAMMMMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGNNEEE :rolleyes:

The thing was embarrassing. I like the podium with signatures, but give us real flags and the formal press conference, please. It's like a silly club event rather than the boundless officialdom that comes with being the top motorsport category on earth. I always saw the F1 poduims more like that at the Olympics, rather than what you see at other races. Protocol above all, respectful of history.

#139 sesku

sesku

• 282 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:27

Did they do a formal PC after that? I hate the new format as the driver is not prepared. It doesn't feel good when you answering question covered in sticky champagne and confetti plus the question asked is not really newsworthy. I also hate the flag flip up board. It look very cheap. I do love the new design of the podium with previous winner signature.

Advertisement

#140 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:28

THE CCHHHAAAMMMMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGNNEEE :rolleyes:

I wanted to smack that idiot so hard when he said that!

Personally I prefer the old ceremony. The new one is like something you'd expect in the US, cheesy and "for the fans". The drivers barely speak for twenty seconds each and then it's over.

#141 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,180 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:35

I wanted to smack that idiot so hard when he said that!

Personally I prefer the old ceremony. The new one is like something you'd expect in the US, cheesy and "for the fans". The drivers barely speak for twenty seconds each and then it's over.

I know what you mean, but the worst thing is when a reporter grabs the driver just as jump out of his car, that is so cheap. Doing it in a more "official" way like this is what F1 is about these days

#142 babbel

babbel
  • Racing Sims Host

• 2,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:36

If they ditch the confetti it's fine :)

#143 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:38

I see some positives with it. The drivers are not as prepared so their answers may be more direct, informal and spontaneous. On the other hand, they seance is shorter and there is less time to get all the questions in that they did in the old presscon. So, I am undecided as well.

#144 natureboy

natureboy

• 72 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:51

I think it's terrible and I hope we go back to the old ceremony ASAP. The worst part are the digital flags.

I can understand in a way the interviews, give something back to those who paid tickets.

#145 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:59

A disaster. Some monkey celebration undervalues victory greatly. Get rid of it.

#146 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,274 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:01

Who watches them?

#147 dts9624

dts9624

• 103 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:06

So far, terrible amateurish rubbish. I'll admit Lauda was ok, and the informality of having
a podium celebration and a PC in front of an audience is nice. However, would it be too much
to have an actual PC (old school) after this podium-tomfoolery?

It's a very odd way to end a race, this podium interview. It almost takes away
from the glamour of F1, the professionalism and so on.

#148 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,770 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:26

I hardly ever watch the interviews, and couldn't care less if they were in the debriefing room or on the rostrum.

I did like the new way to display the flags, though. A bit more 2012.

#149 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:16

This thread just goes to show that you can't please everyone. For years we've had plenty of comments that F1 is too formal, to stuffy and up it's own a**e. That the drivers are media driven robots in interviews and there's not enough access to them. That there's no spontaneity. It's too old fashioned.

Yet when a minor change comes along to remedy that situation, the purists are all over it, saying it's too casual, that the drivers don't have a chance to rehearse their answers. That it's too "American" as if that's something to be ashamed of. That it's amateurish, as if other professional sports don't do the exact same thing. That the interviewers are unsuitable, despite both having long careers in broadcasting since they retired.

You know what, I'm glad I just enjoy the sport for what it is, because if I expected to enjoy the sport the way I wanted it to be, I'd never watch it in the first place.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 23 July 2012 - 09:17.

#150 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:27

Nobody likes change. It's the same with everything. Everytime anything changes people hate it without giving it a while. Just look at Facebook, Twitter or Youtube, every time there's a change there's moaning.

This isn't any different. Give it a chance!