Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Who Likes the New Podium Ceremony [merged]

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

Poll: Yes/No (632 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it?

1. Yes (218 votes [34.71%])

Percentage of vote: 34.71%

2. No (410 votes [65.29%])

Percentage of vote: 65.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:06

Actually aside from a quick complaint about the flags he seems mostly upset about Ken Clarke standing in front of him the whole time.

Id be upset too.

Advertisement

#302 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,411 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:11

Mark was obviously as impressed with Ken Clarke as the rest of us.

Posted Image

Ken Clarke stood in that spot through the whole of the anthems...

And flags flipped into view Blankety Blank style...

Posted Image

Bleugh!

Edited by johnmhinds, 15 November 2012 - 22:12.

#303 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 121 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:17

Not Mark.

Well said Mark Webber! :up: :clap:

#304 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,291 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17

*sigh* Webber on the top step seem so long ago .....

#305 KavB

KavB

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:19

I'm glad he finally talked about that idiot standing in front of him! I agree with him completely, get everyone off apart from the drivers. When it is time to give trophies then they can come out.

#306 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:19

Webber is right. :up:
I hope the organisation is listening this, because in this case a step back would make podium ceremonies better.

#307 LuisPena

LuisPena

• 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:35

I try to find a Topic in the Forum to talk about this without any luck. But here we go.

This years formula 1 post race podium interview has a new format. So know instead of having a renown Formula 1 character ( Coulthard for example) we have actors and other type of profession ( Brian Johnson in Bahrain case).

After that fantastic race we get the drivers interview by someone we barely know to be involved in the motorsport world.

Is not that I hate this approach but I am not happy with the selection so far. Somehow I feel like a lost of "credibility" of the interview because the guy doing it is not someone we usually know from the Formula 1 or racing circle.

I don't critique  their effort, but I could say that some valuable information of the pilot first thought about the race is lost in those interview

I really want them to keep the approach but probably make a better selection for this role in the future.

#308 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:47

It sucks to put it bluntly.

Brian Johnston is a car nut as far as I'm aware but it really should be someone with good racing credentials.

However I still thing the 'new' podium is rubbish, and there was a thread about that somewhere.

#309 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,440 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:02

Bring back the press conference - genuine journos, genuine questions, genuine tension

#310 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:32

Bring back the press conference - genuine journos, genuine questions, genuine tension

Genuine bordom.

AFAIK they still do the press conference, and all the hard questions were asked after the TV cameras were switched off anyway.

#311 Kristian

Kristian

• 783 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:55

The post-race press conference hasn't been good since the early noughties, when at least we had the characters like Irvine, Hakkinen, Villeneuve and Coulthard larking about. Since then it was interesting in about 1 in 15 races. 

So I'm happy with the podium format, but I prefer if it stuck with former drivers or F1 journos (although Benedict Cumberbatch clearly knew what he was talking about, but still it was a bit wishy washy). 

What really bugs me is the electronic flags. I miss the proper fabric ones. We should go back to having giant wreaths as well http://www.formula1....rian73aut34.jpg

Edited by Kristian, 08 April 2014 - 07:57.

#312 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 470 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:15

^I agree with the digital flags, although its an improvement on the giant stickers from last season.

As for the new on-podium interviews - I hate it. I seldom watch the interviews now, I'll usually go an put the kettle on when the microphones get given out.

#313 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 149 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:15

Lets hope they bring in Rowan Atkinson for the British GP.

And Michael Waltrip @ USGP :wave:

#314 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,520 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:10

Brian Johnson is not 'barely involved in the motorsport world'. Both he and his wife race (I've flagged them both) and his charity 'Highway to Help' was broadly advertised at the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring. To the best of my recollection, he attended both races.

However, I do agree that the motive for picking him was not exactly the purest reason to elect someone for a podium interview, knowing Bernie.

#315 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:17

Brian Johnson is not 'barely involved in the motorsport world'. Both he and his wife race (I've flagged them both) and his charity 'Highway to Help' was broadly advertised at the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring. To the best of my recollection, he attended both races.

And he actually raced at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2012.

#316 slideways

slideways

• 3,307 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:24

The Montoya vs Schumacher and Webber vs Vettel post race conferences were awesome.

I agree something is lost with the open podium format.

Not to mention it's an extremely crass attempt at pulling ratings. Like Bernie is just grabbing whichever celeb he has given free tickets to and is capitalising on their fan base etc.

#317 rtechmobile

rtechmobile

• 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:41

I fail to see the need for some new to do it every race just stick Brundle up there race in race out and we will get some hard questions and a bit of a laugh. Just sticking some random celebrity up on stage adds nothing to the event and imho detracts from and detracts from the winners on the podium.

Change is good but not all change is good or needed.

#318 ANF

ANF

• 853 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:07

I fail to see the need for some new to do it every race just stick Brundle up there race in race out and we will get some hard questions and a bit of a laugh. Just sticking some random celebrity up on stage adds nothing to the event and imho detracts from and detracts from the winners on the podium.

Change is good but not all change is good or needed.

Exactly. They need someone who can ask decent questions. Like Brundle, or Bob Constanduros, Peter Windsor, Jackie Stewart, Will Buxton...

#319 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11

I have no problems with it if it's a well known figure who is at least partially educated about F1 or follows it. Brian Johnson fits the bill with him being a car lover, casual racer and fan of racing. He also goes pretty well each time he appears on Top Gear. :up:

Now, if it's some random celebrity who didn't even know the name of the winner prior to the race, then no thanks. As long as those doing the interviews are informed fans themselves, I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't become overdone. Once in a while is fine, but I want to see the likes of Brundle and company up there asking questions more often than not.

Edited by UPRC, 08 April 2014 - 10:12.

Advertisement

#320 byrkus

byrkus

• 826 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11

I thought it would be Nick Mason's turn this time. Guess I was wrong. :)

At it could also be much worse. Remember Placido Domingo...?

#321 ANF

ANF

• 853 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:33

I do remember Placido Domingo.

#322 Numero14

Numero14

• 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:43

In Bahrain podium interviev was disgrace.

#323 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,622 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:45

I thought Cumberbatch did quite well actually, but I don't like the format at all, regardless of who does the interview. Rosbergs Protonas speech in Malaysia was cringe worthy. The old style press conference was no better.

#324 darkkis

darkkis

• 847 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:46

It's terrible, it was bad even with some proper interviewers. Old press conference was way better.

Edited by darkkis, 08 April 2014 - 10:47.

#325 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:46

Brian Johnston is a car nut as far as I'm aware but it really should be someone with good racing credentials.

He raced in the Daytona 24 last year. 

The podium interview is just a pretext to allow the fans at the circuit to see and hear from the drivers.  It's a bit of marketing fluff, no more. 

#326 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:55

To be honest Johnson and Cumberbatch did a better job interviewing the drivers in comparison to the likes of Jacky Ickx and Mario Andretti in previous season's.

Andretti was particularly bad in Austin, and Ickx was barely able to construct a sentence in Spa, but I fully respect their racing credentials. Maybe a good interviewer would be better as an ex driver is perhaps not guaranteed to be able to conduct a good interview? DC and Brundle are very good because they have the experience but its also nice to see a different range of people on the podium. The drivers are very PR most of the time and you tend to get robotic answers unless something has upset them. They say how great the team are and drop in a sponsor or two lol. 

#327 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,858 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:04

I try to find a Topic in the Forum to talk about this without any luck. But here we go.

You couldn't find it because it was archived, so I unarchived and merged.

#328 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,520 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:07

And he actually raced at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2012.

Thanks--I had a feeling he had contested it at some point, but couldn't remember when and was far too tired to look it up. :p

The glory of that 5AM stupor. :drunk:

#329 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:15

Genuine bordom.

AFAIK they still do the press conference, and all the hard questions were asked after the TV cameras were switched off anyway.

I preferred the press conference to the podium interviews. Both would be fine. Yeah, I think they still film the conferences too. For some reason, broadcast channels in their extra hours of post race puff, choose not to show it.

#330 Lights

Lights

• 9,845 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:16

I think it's good for the fans that paid heavily overpriced start/finish straight grandstand tickets. Some interaction with the crowd is not bad in current F1.

But, the questions are cringeworthy. Because of course these 'celebrities' are not going to ask tough questions or something specific. It's all 'great race, well done, congratulations, how do you feel?' even though a driver might be totally pissed he finished 2nd or 3rd.

And I do agree with someone else saying that the celebrity somehow distracts from the drivers. I mean look, we're talking about it now.

#331 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,578 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:24

I really dislike it and I turn away straight after the anthems and champagne. And then there are the digital flags... yuck. It is so cheesy. Give me the press conference back and let the podium be the podium. Press conferences could be shown on the screens around the track.

#332 ANF

ANF

• 853 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:25

To be honest Johnson and Cumberbatch did a better job interviewing the drivers in comparison to the likes of Jacky Ickx and Mario Andretti in previous season's.

Andretti was particularly bad in Austin, and Ickx was barely able to construct a sentence in Spa, but I fully respect their racing credentials. Maybe a good interviewer would be better as an ex driver is perhaps not guaranteed to be able to conduct a good interview? DC and Brundle are very good because they have the experience but its also nice to see a different range of people on the podium. The drivers are very PR most of the time and you tend to get robotic answers unless something has upset them. They say how great the team are and drop in a sponsor or two lol. 

Rosberg was clearly upset with coming second in Bahrain. An experienced interviewer would have asked a follow-up question. Brian Johnson, the random petrolhead celebrity, did not.

#333 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,858 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:35

We still get the old PC though.  It's not gone, and at the very minimum you still get the transcript.  The podium interview, as others have stated, is floof for those who have paid $tupid for their grandstand seat so now they get to see a celeb as well.

#334 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:39

Rosberg was clearly upset with coming second in Bahrain. An experienced interviewer would have asked a follow-up question. Brian Johnson, the random petrolhead celebrity, did not.

He was? I thought he was just showing a sense of humour. I didn't get any impression of genuine upset.

One thing I do like about the new podium ceremonies is we get a rare chance to see driver personalities, which we rarely got with the press interview ("thanks to sponsor, great race, good job, team did well, yada yada"). I'm ok with celebs doing the interviews, providing they have a genuine interest in the sport.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the podium structure and flags. They just look "cheap".

Edited by Fourjays, 08 April 2014 - 11:40.

#335 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:41

He raced in the Daytona 24 last year.

The podium interview is just a pretext to allow the fans at the circuit to see and hear from the drivers. It's a bit of marketing fluff, no more.

So why do they do it at Bahrain? :)

Respect to AC/DC's second best singer for the Daytona and I'm sure much more but i was meaning more ultimate level credentials. It's quite awkward when the presenter comes across as a starstruck fan IMHO.

I think what annoys me is that I liked the old press conference, where a journo would ask good questions. The type of questions that I'm interested in hearing the answers to.
Nowadays it's just "great race, tell me about it" prompts.

Edited by Brother Fox, 08 April 2014 - 11:43.

#336 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,791 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:46

I know I saw it lol. DC would have probed him I am sure. :)

#337 ANF

ANF

• 853 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:25

He was? I thought he was just showing a sense of humour. I didn't get any impression of genuine upset.

Well, he didn't look very happy...

#338 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:33

The answer is still an emphatic NO from me.

#339 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:39

Exactly. They need someone who can ask decent questions. Like Brundle, or Bob Constanduros, Peter Windsor, Jackie Stewart, Will Buxton...

I'd be amazed if Natalie Pinkham isn't up there eventually given she seems to be everywhere in F1 these days.

I think the electronic flags take away the human touch of the podium preperation.

Advertisement

#340 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 197 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:05

only a matter of time before we run out of cool celebs and turn to hasbeens who have no interest in F1, all to attract a new / young / different audience? desparate :/

#341 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:17

Well, he didn't look very happy...

He did just come off second in a 5-10 lap wheel-to-wheel battle... he seemed in good spirits generally though (joked around on the podium, etc). Not really what I'd call "upset". Certainly not a Vettel-Webber situation (yet).

Edited by Fourjays, 08 April 2014 - 13:18.

#342 demet06

demet06

• 119 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 19:22

Worst one ever was Eddie Jordan, hope he never does it again.

#343 rtechmobile

rtechmobile

• 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 20:55

only a matter of time before we run out of cool celebs and turn to hasbeens who have no interest in F1, all to attract a new / young / different audience? desparate :/

Yes in time Vanilla Ice will be up there or that dreadful Snooki tart from some show about New Jersey :)  

I know the drivers are superhuman athletes but I'm not sure if I would be too keen on entertaining some wally if I had just driven 50/60 laps flat out or as flat as out as the fuel tank allows... 

#344 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,690 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 21:08

I wouldn't mind an updating of F1 Celebs. You can only have so much Leo Sayer.

#345 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,028 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 23:15

Indeed, F1 needs more of this (although it was after qualifying): 

I don't mind the podium interviews - it must be nice for the fans at the circuit and it is nice to tap into the immediate emotions of the drivers - I just object to podium interviews instead of the press conference - why don't they just do both? Emotional podium interview and detailed press conference reflections? AFAIK they still do the PC, just with no cameras. No reason they can't film it as well.

#346 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 00:05

To be honest though, that was like the only entertaining thing that ever happened in a press conference.

#347 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:30

I don't mind the podium interviews - it must be nice for the fans at the circuit and it is nice to tap into the immediate emotions of the drivers - I just object to podium interviews instead of the press conference - why don't they just do both? Emotional podium interview and detailed press conference reflections? AFAIK they still do the PC, just with no cameras. No reason they can't film it as well.

I think you're right there. I don't know when they stopped filming, maybe just this year. Post race conferences for 2013 can be found on you tube etc. Can't find any of this year's, though.

Transcripts are published on the FiA and F1 sites. Indeed, both formats is fine and IMO both should be broadcast. Would be more interesting than some of the dithering we get post race from the broadcasters.

#348 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,446 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:40

To be honest though, that was like the only entertaining thing that ever happened in a press conference.

How soon we forget... though perhaps the date of the clip proves your point. :p  Either way, it's a great excuse to post it once more:

#349 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,446 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:41

Or a more recent example, the hilarious 2009 Abu Dhabi pre-race press conference.

#350 kenkip

kenkip

• 474 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:16

To be honest,i think this is just another avenue for  fans to moan just for the sake of it.I mean,its not like the conferences are not done are they?The transcript is still available and come on,its obvius the podium interviews are for the guys on track,so spare a thought for them.

Seriously,there people here who make it like the old type press conferences were like the conferences in boxing where random fighting beaks out but in all honesty they were mostly flat and the questions were not exactly probing as such(it was the unilateral interviewer) by the time the questions from the floor were  being asked we had been cut off already.

I think the podium interviews should stay,can you imagine Jeremy Clarkson doing the podium for the British gp?.I would pay top dollar for that.And anyway,hasnt F1 been about the glam and the celebs?I think this is a great direction FOM has taken and should be applauded.