Photo

Rate The British Grand Prix!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate The British Grand Prix! (237 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate The British Grand Prix!

1. 1 (9 votes [3.81%])

Percentage of vote: 3.81%

2. 2 (4 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

3. 3 (11 votes [4.66%])

Percentage of vote: 4.66%

4. 4 (9 votes [3.81%])

Percentage of vote: 3.81%

5. 5 (32 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

6. 6 (42 votes [17.80%])

Percentage of vote: 17.80%

7. 7 (60 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

8. 8 (42 votes [17.80%])

Percentage of vote: 17.80%

9. 9 (15 votes [6.36%])

Percentage of vote: 6.36%

10. 10 (12 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:32

Like always, please vote on the race and not on your favourite drivers position! Feel free to add your own views :)

Best Drive
Despite a fantastic drive, Romain Grosjean was partly to blame for losing his own front wing so I can't give it to him as he surely had the pace to be fighting for a podium.

Mark Webber, flawless victory and matching Vettel for pace, he loves this track

Worst Drive
Pastor Maldonado.

Best Overtake
Bruno Senna on Nico Hulkenburg, I bet that felt amazing for Bruno. A tough few weeks for him and after a poor qualifying he managed to put everything aside and finally nail Nico around the outside. Bet an extra point never felt so good! Not yielding to Nico on the next straight was also brave stuff, hopefully this race will act as a springboard towards the second hald of the season for him

Worst overtake
Webber on Alonso. I mean DRS was horrible, it really isn't needed at circuits that produce natural overtaking, massive anticlimax to that chase when it became push to pass.

Tyres
The tyres were great, I think a mix of medium and Hard would have been a better combination as there might possibly have been a mix of some one-stop strategies too. Overall the tyre performance was fantastic, most of the top cars were running very close lap times so the operational window or sweet spot was much larger. Also great to see cars being able to push on the hard tyres. Again, glad to say there won't be any Pirelli haters on the boards for another 2 weeks at least.

Best Moment
There were many great moments all around, Schumacher Vs Massa was a great little battle, as was the final duel between Senna Hulkenburg and Button.

However I have to say it goes to Perez for his interview on Sky. Even though he was obviously angry, it's good to see drivers speaking their mind in an age where everything F1 drivers say seems to be filtered through PR talk. On this occasion I think it was a little unfair on Maldonado who made an honest mistake, and probably won't do his reputation any good. But good on Perez nonetheless, I'm warming to this kid!

Best Tweet of the Race:
Martin Whitmarsh ?@fakewhitmarsh
Sauber's pit mechanics have just been KK'd… #f1

Edited by Snic, 08 July 2012 - 15:36.

Advertisement

#2 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:38

Good race, a 7. Lotus, Ferrari and Redbull all did well and a pass for the lead and win at the end! Also the sun actually found it's way to England.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 11 July 2012 - 19:49.

#3 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:44

Best fight - Alonso vs Hamilton it always deliver great moments

#4 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:46

Worst drive has to be Button for me. Apart from FP3 he's had an awful weekend, much like his season.

#5 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:49

I gave it a six. Would have been a four without Webber hunting down Alonso at the end. This was a race that really needed the rain, but it never came.

#6 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:59

Snic - disagree Re Grosjean's FW. I don't see how he could have done anything to avoid this.

#7 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:59

7. A pretty good race. Would maybe want a bit of that rain

Best driver:
I'm gonna give this to the race winner, a great quali effort to start it all, and at no point in the race it looked like Vettel would be faster than him...
Honourable mention to Grosjean and the Ferrari duo. Glad to see Massa on par with Alonso.

Best team: Lotus was probably the fastest, but I'll give it to Red Bull, as they got a great strategy as well (Vettel jumped the MS-Massa duo)

Worst team: Weren't Caterham supposed to have some sort of an update in this race? Petrov out before the race and Kova with a slower fastest lap than Marussia duo.

Worst driver:
Maldonado... I have only seen the accident once, so it might not have been his fault, but he's just always involved in these incidents... I think a race ban could do him a favour. Might cool down a bit. He obviously has speed.

Best overtake: Don't know, I would really hate to say Webber on Alonso, because of DRS... Alonso/Hamilton battle was nice (though again "fake" because of tyre difference), did you guys notice that Alonso's DRS opened cause he was behind in the detection zone, but Hamilton was still able to slipstream by at the end of the straight?

Tyres: Degradation wise, it seemed OK, and most drivers set their fastest laps at the end of the race (even Alonso set his FL after Webber passed him). However the problem was, that the softer tyre was just too slow. Webber matched Alonso in the first couple of laps before dropping back, and similarly Alonso seemed to have similar pace to Webber (on slightly worn primes) on the first couple of laps on softs, before dropping back. What we saw today wasn't the usual softs (faster, but degrade quickly) vs hards (slower, but last longer), it was quite simply "good tyres" vs "bad tyres".

DRS: FLICK DRS

Edited by greenman, 08 July 2012 - 16:00.

#8 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:02

Boring race except 10-5 laps before finish, nothing spectacular. Not enough footage of Mr. Bean. :rotfl:

Edited by sesku, 08 July 2012 - 16:03.

#9 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:03

2/10 Promised much, delivered nothing.

#10 andysaint

andysaint

• 529 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:07

Best Drive

Webber, kept his tyres together, very consistent pace throughout the race.

Worst Drive
I would say Maldonado but that is one solitary incident. Hulkenberg and Hamilton both should have scored some better results.

Best Overtake
Massa on Schumacher.

Worst overtake
Bit of a silly one? No overtake is silly if it gets the job done.

Tyres
Someone commented in the weekend that majority rules. On a very funny weekend where little dry running was done, everyone should have gone with what everyone else was doing. Mclaren got the tyres horribly wrong.

Best Moment
Massa v Schumacher. I am so pleased to see Massa's form coming back.

Best Tweet of the Race:
Wasn't following Twitter that closely.

Watching the best drivers in the dry going flat out after Friday and Saturday was a joy and the change in podium celebrations at the end was good thinking. The sight of all the fans on the circuit was fantastic. Despite the frustrations of being stuck in traffic on Friday, I am definitely looking at saving the money to go for all three days next year. The public and circuit showed over the weekend why this is one of the classic motorsport events.

#11 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:08

2/10 Promised much, delivered nothing.

+1

#12 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:09

8 from me.

Best Drive - Webber
Worst Drive - Maldonado
There was enough tension and action - I was glued to Live Timing to follow 3/4 battles

The crowd were their usual glorious selves.

#13 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:10

Worst overtake
Webber on Alonso. I mean DRS was horrible, it really isn't needed at circuits that produce natural overtaking, massive anticlimax to that chase when it became push to pass.

ludicrous assessment. :rolleyes:

Red Bull's amongst the slowest cars on the grid in a straight line, and their KERS is said to be fairly inefficient in comparison to others. I think the way Mark positioned his car in the previous corners so as to overtake Alonso at the one point of the circuit where he could be fairly even stevens with the Ferrari was excellent.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:12

Having just got back I'm really annoyed that having spent the whole weekend suffering rain and mud, the only dry running we had was the race. Was really hoping for a short shower to dampen the track mid-raceish. And the weather as we drove into my village would have been just right, rain and then drying out after 20 minutes, just enough to force them onto inters and see who would be the first to brave the slicks.

#15 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:13

Gave it 8/10
Plenty of action in the opening stages
Fantastic drives by the top 3 drivers
Grosjean recovering was interesting
Drama with McLaren self-destructing in front of the home crowd :eek:

All in all an interesting race
roll on Germany

#16 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:15

Worst driver: Maldonado... I have only seen the accident once, so it might not have been his fault, but he's just always involved in these incidents... I think a race ban could do him a favour. Might cool down a bit. He obviously has speed.

:rolleyes:

So, for an incident that probably wasn't his fault you give him the worst driver and recommend a race ban? Talk about give a dog a bad name.

7. Good solid race

Best driver:
The Aussie; kudos for skill and persistence.

Best team: Red Bull; looking ominously good

Worst team: McLaren. Good pit stops but, really, whats going on?

Worst driver:
Perez; too optimistic in thinking he could pounce on Maldonado while Pastor was on cold tyres.

Best overtake: Alonso / Hamilton or Senna / Hulk. Bruno's pass made me happier though :cat:

#17 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:29

So, for an incident that probably wasn't his fault you give him the worst driver and recommend a race ban? Talk about give a dog a bad name.

No no no... That wasn't my point. There was a lot of talk on whether he deserves a race ban, I'm generally neither for nor against it, I'm just saying that if he were to get a ban, it could possibly do him a favour, just to cool him down a bit - at this moment he keeps getting involved in accidents, and I put him as the worst driver, because he doesn't seem to be learning from any of them. It's cool that he's aggressive, but there just has to come a time, when he learns that he's also throwing a lot of points away because of that.

#18 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:49

Snic - disagree Re Grosjean's FW. I don't see how he could have done anything to avoid this.

Unfortunately there's no videos of the incident yet but it was replayed a few times onboard with RG with Sky. RG was on the outside of the track, maybe a meter from the curbing. Paul Di Resta appeared to his left and started veering right towards him as he was getting past Hulkenburg. Instinctually RG should have moved over to the right, it's hard to blame him for it but it should have been a reflex move that a hooked up F1 driver would normally do without a second thought. He still had that meter to his right when PDR edged into him. Whilst it wasn't his fault he probably should have anticipated & avoided it. (Source: years of experience as an armchair expert :p )

Edited by Snic, 08 July 2012 - 16:51.

#19 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:05

Solid race today, not exactly memorable. Glad to see Webber win. :up:

Advertisement

#20 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:26

How on Earth was Lewis (sans-DRS) able to slipstream and overtake Alonsos Ferrari when his DRS was deployed? Amazing tussle between those two. Shame it wasn't truly for position in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Jamiednm, 08 July 2012 - 18:27.

#21 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:05

The British GP certainly wasn't as exciting as Valencia (never thought I'd say that :lol:), but I felt that the race was still pretty darn good overall.

#22 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:23

8/10

I was entertained the entire time with different strategies and lots of overtaking and while it felt inevitable fairly early in the 3rd stint, its always nice having a late pass for the win(even if its against my team.... :mad: :) ).

#23 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:27

Worst drive has to be Button for me. Apart from FP3 he's had an awful weekend, much like his season.

I don't think he's doing something particuarly bad, he seems to have serious problems with the car itself as far as I remember reading around here. Some may say it is just an excuse but if one is reasonable and see how well he did last year I can understand his complaints are legit.

Indeed he had a very bad race though.

#24 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:33

Worst overtake

:up:

#25 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:36

Solid race. Quite entertaining for a Lotus fan, where both drivers had very good pace and managed some good overtaking manovers. I'm glad that Lotus is in front of McLaren in WCC and not that far behind Ferrari

Edited by korzeniow, 08 July 2012 - 19:38.

#26 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:39

Alright lets see
Webber win is 5, Vettel's 3rd place is -3
Raikkonen's fastest lap is 7
Massa's overtake on Schumacher is 2
Horrible podium ceremony is -4

So it is 7/10

#27 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:40

7. Pretty good race. Not the best, but interesting strategy and some good moves.

Edited by Dispenser89, 08 July 2012 - 19:40.

#28 Rick911

Rick911

• 82 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:47

Solid race. Quite entertaining for a Lotus fan, where both drivers had very good pace and managed some good overtaking manovers. I'm glad that Lotus is in front of McLaren in WCC and not that far behind Ferrari

Kimi once again closed fast but late. Need to wake him up sooner for the rest of the season. Would like to see him atop the podium at least once in 2012.

#29 SparkyF1

SparkyF1

• 40 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 20:09

3/10

Really? This was so boring. Webber always wins boring races, maybe he is a boring driver after all.

Driver of the day: Grosjean
Clowns of the day: the McLaren team

#30 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:17

I'm indifferent about the race. I didn't find it boring. It was a bit more like what we enjoyed a couple of years ago. I know Silverstone is a classic track, but compared to other classic F1 circuits i've never understood the romance about it. It just doesn't excite me like other tracks, say Spa, Monza and Monaco.

#31 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:42

max points: +10
tyres do not last the whole race: -5
nice guy won: +1
ferraris and old zombie too high in points: -1
points total: +5

#32 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:10

That's what happens when you build the car for the less sensitive driver.

Serves mclaren right they are that far behind ahah!

Edited by Morbus, 09 July 2012 - 00:13.

#33 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:29

Really? This was so boring. Webber always wins boring races, maybe he is a boring driver after all.

LOL, that's the most ridiculous thing I've read for a while.

+8

Edited by andrewr, 09 July 2012 - 00:30.

#34 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:08

Tyres
Someone commented in the weekend that majority rules. On a very funny weekend where little dry running was done, everyone should have gone with what everyone else was doing. Mclaren got the tyres horribly wrong.

Technically they don't know what everybody else is doing, everybody had free choice and the race tyres go on the cars 3 minutes before the parade lap so ....

#35 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:15

It was way better than most other races this season.

#36 Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse

• 54 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:08

One of the worst races so far for me, says a lot when Valencia and Bahrain were more exciting. Bit of action at the beginning, bit of action at the end, not much in the middle, it badly needed a cloudburst to liven it up.

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:15

Silverstone as "permanent" race track? Ehmmm...

#38 docronzo

docronzo

• 237 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:33

I was missing the raising action towards the end when the tyres usually start to decline. The race was pretty boring overall.
But Schumacher overtaking Hamilton ontrack was nice to see.
So I gave it a 5.

#39 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:02

Found the video of the incident, I still think he should have moved right and placed his car as far away from all the mayhem around him (following Hamilton's tyre tracks) but I'm not so sure anymore. Really bad luck for both of them though

Edited by Snic, 09 July 2012 - 11:03.

Advertisement

#40 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:38

All good - race was exciting but a slight let down after promise of rain !!

And your worst overtake is actually the best of the season when you consider the RB8 being such a poor in end of straight speed !

#41 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,439 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:46

Wet, Muddy, Chaotic, ........ :(

#42 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:46

I gave it a 6. Slightly above average but mostly meh.

#43 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:35

I gave it a 6. Slightly above average but mostly meh.

I think average is very high this season with only Monaco being boring. British GP was well below this season average.

#44 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:08

3/10

Driver of the day: Grosjean
Clowns of the day: the McLaren team

A last gasp victory over the year's best driver is boring?

Seems to be a few McLaren fans throwing their toys out of their prams in this thread. I sometimes think that a procession with Lewis or Jense at the head of it would merit a 10/10 from many on here!

Edited by goingthedistance, 09 July 2012 - 18:09.

#45 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:13

A last gasp victory over the year's best driver is boring?

Seems to be a few McLaren fans throwing their toys out of their prams in this thread. I sometimes think that a procession with Lewis or Jense at the head of it would merit a 10/10 from many on here!

Disagree. I think it was certainly one of the dullest races all season. Monaco is always boring, and this was better than that one, but there was very little tension in this race and for long portions of the race, the field was spread quite thinly.

#46 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 954 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:15

yawn. too bad it was dry.

#47 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:37

Disagree. I think it was certainly one of the dullest races all season. Monaco is always boring, and this was better than that one, but there was very little tension in this race and for long portions of the race, the field was spread quite thinly.

Tension is perhaps a function of favoured drivers for many though, I found the last few laps very tense myself. I agree that it was not the race of the season, not by a long way. But it was not 3 material! It wasn't that long ago that a battle for 1st that went down to the wire would be enough to make it a classic. We are very spoiled these days.

#48 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:55

7/10 - It was pretty decent, though nothing special. Silverstone is a good track to just watch the cars on though, so I'm kicking it up a point. The race kinda lost its urgency after the first pitstops, which was a bit of a shame. Good race by most drivers, and a good win by Webber.

Most hilarious moment: Hamilton pulling a move on Alonso. :lol:

Anti-climax of the race: Bad tyres and DRS preventing a good scrap for the lead. Meh. :down:

Surprise of the race: Massa keeping up with Vettel. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 09 July 2012 - 18:59.

#49 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:33

How could it have been anybody else's fault ? Perez went around the outside and gave him lots of room. Pastor lost control on colder tyres. Case closed.

#50 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:18

Most hilarious moment: Hamilton pulling a move on Alonso. :lol:

:rotfl:

We are very spoiled these days.

:up: