Photo

Moscow F1 demo run anyone?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:32

Anyone else thinking of going? My favourite places on earth combined with my favourite sport on earth...

BUT
I'm always wondering how these beautiful historic buildings must suffer. In the winter due to the cold, in summer due to the heat (massive temperature discrepancies in the course of 1 year). They suffer also, no doubt, because of all the fumes in the biggest and busiest city of Europe. The massive sounds of concerts, and now F1, surely can't do them any good either ? And yet, they look beautifully prefered. In Soviet times they looked 'grainy', probably because of lack of funding for maintenance.

I reckon Stalin & Lenin are turning in their graves (non-stop).

When I asked my highly attractive female guide how these buildings survive with those massive temperature differences (60 degrees celcius), she said: I survive too. I was all like :kiss: :blush:

Advertisement

#2 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:59

Technically it is the second busiest city in Europe after Istanbul...

#3 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:35

I don't know how we're measuring busyness but two articles I (just) read stated that there is an estimated 3.3 million registered vehicles in Istanbul, but about 4 million registered in Moscow, for example.

I haven't been to Moscow yet, and combining it with F1 would be fantastic, but the traffic issues would bother me slightly. I remember being slightly put off by the traffic problems in SPb, and that was back in 2003...

#4 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:40

I don't know how we're measuring busyness but two articles I (just) read stated that there is an estimated 3.3 million registered vehicles in Istanbul, but about 4 million registered in Moscow, for example.

I haven't been to Moscow yet, and combining it with F1 would be fantastic, but the traffic issues would bother me slightly. I remember being slightly put off by the traffic problems in SPb, and that was back in 2003...

Not sure it is measured by number of cars, think it is dependent on people.

#5 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 22:48

Not sure it is measured by number of cars, think it is dependent on people.

Ah okay, though I thought they are roughly the same level. That said, talking about metropolitan areas, Moscow's population is larger, apparently.

I presume the Russian Grand Prix will work out okay, as Sochi is apparently an extremely popular destination for Russians anyway, but I still don't get why so few people went to the Turkish Grand Prix? :|

#6 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:16

but I still don't get why so few people went to the Turkish Grand Prix? :|

Possiby no interest in the sport in that country? They had no previous history of racing that I am aware of before building an autodrome in the desert and being granted a F1 race? I have always wondered why Greece,an aparently otherwise civilised country also has no history of the sport?

#7 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:29

Pity that, because you could say Russia has very little history of Grand Prix racing or interest, unless you count a couple of races before World War I... but I think just having a guy like Petrov in F1 has really made a difference. Suppose we'll find out though.

Yeah, though Greece did have an A1GP team - briefly - which is more than Turkey ever did...

#8 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:59

crap track

#9 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:24

Yeah, not many places for overtaking.

#10 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:21

I'm being very picky here, but Lenin couldn't be spinning in his grave, as he has not been buried yet.