Photo

Iso Rivolta question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:00

I see that at a Silverstone auction of oldish cars next week there is something they describe as 1965 Iso Rivolta Breadvan.
The description seems rather fanciful to me, but it's not really my period (as the historian's cop-out puts it).
I expect it could be a 1965 Iso Rivolta with a much later body and history, but the final suggestion implies that with a Ferrari 250 motor it would become a Ferrari.

What is the real story?

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:31

More info here...

#3 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:40

I see that at a Silverstone auction of oldish cars next week there is something they describe as 1965 Iso Rivolta Breadvan.
The description seems rather fanciful to me, but it's not really my period (as the historian's cop-out puts it).
I expect it could be a 1965 Iso Rivolta with a much later body and history, but the final suggestion implies that with a Ferrari 250 motor it would become a Ferrari.

What is the real story?

It's pretty much described in this paragraph:-
This car is based on the chassis and running gear of an Iso Rivolta. It is believed to have been built in 1965 using an alloy body reputedly designed and made by Drogo in the classic Breadvan shape. Fitted with a 450bhp V8 Chevrolet engine...

So it's a Chevy powered Iso Rivolta that looks a bit like a Breadvan Ferrari. The Article goes on to say "and could even house a Ferrari engine and running gear" but no claim that this would magically transform it into a Ferrari.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:51

It's pretty much described in this paragraph:-
This car is based on the chassis and running gear of an Iso Rivolta. It is believed to have been built in 1965 using an alloy body reputedly designed and made by Drogo in the classic Breadvan shape. Fitted with a 450bhp V8 Chevrolet engine...

So it's a Chevy powered Iso Rivolta that looks a bit like a Breadvan Ferrari. The Article goes on to say "and could even house a Ferrari engine and running gear" but no claim that this would magically transform it into a Ferrari.

The phrase It is believed to have been built in 1965 uses a form of words that usually means "I want you to believe . . . . although there is not a shred of evidence to support me"

Someone in a Ferrari forum posted:
Factory shows chassis being built March 11 1964 sold as a standard Rivolta GT to owner in France with 340 HP engine 4 speed 3.31 rear end with Borrani's. At some point it was imported into the US, the Rivolta GT was listed by Golden classics.com in 2005

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:19

It seems that Joe Public wasn't convinced and it didn't sell

#6 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:12

This time...  ;)

#7 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:16

"PLEASE NOTE - Parts of the body on this vehicle are made from fiberglass and NOT aluminium as catalogued."

Oh dear...

#8 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:24

It is a nice Iso custom but I think it would look better with some sort of fast-back rather than the van/station wagon look.

The selling hype is asinine.

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:42

The selling hype is asinine.

As it so often is in this line of business, bore the with some fascinating history first, then deliver a knockout blow with a thinly disguised disappointing truth, seems to be a popular formula in the auctioneers arsenal of sales techniques.

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:56

... and could even house a Ferrari engine and running gear, if a suitable 250 donor could be found.

In the words of Victor Lustig "There's one born every day"

#11 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,635 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:54

... and could even house a Ferrari engine and running gear, if a suitable 250 donor could be found.

In the words of Victor Lustig "There's one born every day"

Who is so fussy? Surely any Ferrari engine would do ... :stoned:

#12 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:37

Actually since there are now some rather large Ferrari, or Ferrari parented V-8s out there, put one of those in and really screw with peoples minds.