Photo

Van Dieten/Maasland photos; Jaguar, Cotura, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:16

I have finally finished scanning the photos from the van Dieten collection (please see this thread http://forums.autosp...w...Dieten&st=0 )

I will start with a few I have not identified. It appears to be Joke Maasland in the passenger seat of the XK120, except for the last photo, where she appears to be driving:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

The last photo must be from a different event. The car has a driving light in the bumper, and is wearing #61 on the bonnet. The sign in the background says "Lieden", so it must have been in Holland.

I wondered about the Tulip Rally, but then the car would have had a badge on the front, correct?

What two events would these have been, where, and when?

All photos copyright John Schaepman.

Vince H.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:07

The first lot seems to be some sort of show or parade. The XK seems to have been moved slightly, from position 2 to position 1

Cars in the 1952 Tulip don't seem to have worn rally plates

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:57

Thanks, David.

Yes, it looks like the XK may have been moved slightly, perhaps for a photo op beside the...Spyker (?)

Apparently they did have rally plates for the 1952 Tulip, according to this link:

http://www.plate-pla...lye-tulpen.html

It appears to be a 1951 or 1952 Plymouth next to the XK, if that helps at all. Both the XK and the Plymouth are left-hand drive, so, while there is a British flag in the background, I presume the photos were taken in Holland. Does the setting look familiar to anyone?

Vince H.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:07

The reason I said they "don't seem" to have plates was that, in my quick look, I could find only one photo showing the front of a car, and it didn't have a plate. Perhaps it fell off during the event - and perhaps the XK's did too?

#5 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:01

Interesting pictures Vince!

It surely is Holland. But the events? Possibly some kind of Concours d'Elegance in a Dutch seaside town. Possibly Noordwijk? The older car is indeed a 1907 Spyker!

The lady in the passenger seat (first two pics) and doing her hair in the 3rd is Joke Maasland (Joky), who later became Joke van Dieten.
Here father Simon is also seen (holding the coat). Behind the wheel her mother? Possibly her brother Hans is standing wtaching.

Mr. Maasland (with his wife) became the first Ferrari importer for Holland. For Joke he arranged a 250 Monza for a race a Zandvoort. After a shunt she was hospitalized in Haarlem. She received flowers from Prince Berhard and a watch from Enzo.

Here they are in the Zandvoort paddock, Mr. Maasland sporting a Ferrari pin.
http://beeldbank.ams...hfield=maasland

I am quite sure the last picture was not taken during the Tulip Rally. Someweher between Leiden and The Hague? Can you see other town on the original?

#6 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:01

Great pics of the XK120 but I dont think the XK120 van dietan is sitting in on the other thread http://forums.autosp...w...Dieten&st=0
is the same XK120 pictured at the top of this page,
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by terry mcgrath, 17 July 2012 - 09:03.

#7 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50

Arjan, thanks for the info,

I found this photo of apparently the same Spyker taken in Amsterdam in 1954:

http://www.flickr.co...@N01/6326913444

Hopefully, Johannes, Jr. can confirm the identities of those in the photos.

Interesting photo from Zandvoort.

Here is the road sign from the fifth photo:

Posted Image

I think it says Amsterdam on top of the sign opposite the side pointing to Leiden.

Terry, yes, different XK120, this one is left hand drive, the one in the other thread is right hand drive. More on that later !

Vince H.

#8 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 15:43

Here is the road sign from the fifth photo:

Posted Image

I think it says Amsterdam on top of the sign opposite the side pointing to Leiden.

Vince H.

They are crossing the river De Wetering in a town called Woubrugge (between Leiden, Alphen and Leimuiden (indicated on the signs)).

#9 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:05

They are crossing the river De Wetering in a town called Woubrugge (between Leiden, Alphen and Leimuiden (indicated on the signs)).

Thanks, Arjan. I looked this up on google maps, and, as you say, these towns are indicated on the signs, though the area seems to look quite different now. Does anyone know of such an event that would have gone through Woubrugge in that era?

Here is another photo. These people seem amused at something.

Posted Image

This photo may or may not be related to the ones already posted. Does anyone know who any of these people are? The fellow seated on the left looks to me a bit like John Wyer. What event, where, and when?

Photo copyright John Schaepman.

Vince H.

#10 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:29

thanks vince that makes me look like a real galah! I hadn't noticed the most obvious difference but some minute detail.
but love to get more info on his first car.
There is one thing on the car you have pictured and that is the wheel centres with holes for cooling and the drilled rims to I believe hold tires from slipping and this same feature was on the Dr Oei Tyong Bo car 660726 later to become the teddy yip car and featured in our book.
It would indicate that Van Dietan and Dr Oei Tyong Bo where good friends/acquaintences
Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
We can say the chassis number of this car is between 670185 and 671096 so only 911 cars
I am at present trying to work out which car it is colour possibly red?

Terry, yes, different XK120, this one is left hand drive, the one in the other thread is right hand drive. More on that later !

Vince H.
[/quote]

Edited by terry mcgrath, 22 July 2012 - 09:30.

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:53

This photo may or may not be related to the ones already posted. Does anyone know who any of these people are? The fellow seated on the left looks to me a bit like John Wyer. What event, where, and when?

Hus was a backery in The Hague, making bread and biscuit. So must be in that area. Looks also like Peter Collins standing.

#12 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:14

Hus was a backery in The Hague, making bread and biscuit. So must be in that area. Looks also like Peter Collins standing.

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to the fellow standing on the left? Looks a bit like him, but I don't think it's Collins.

Vince H.

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:01

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to the fellow standing on the left? Looks a bit like him, but I don't think it's Collins.

Vince H.

Yes, me neither.

#14 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:50

Here are a couple more photos of, apparently, the same XK120 pictured at the beginning of this thread...LHD, same license number:

Posted Image

Looks like Zandvoort...racing windscreen, hubcaps still on, maybe Simon Maasland driving? Any idea when this was?
Photo copyright John Schaepman.

Posted Image

Don't know the track...racing windscreen, no hubcaps, driving light on bumper, maybe Joke Maasland driving? Again, any ideas?
Photo copyright Anpfoto.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 25 July 2012 - 00:53.

#15 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:32

Top photo indeed looks like Zandvoort. The bottom photo is almost certainly from the airfield races at Welschap on 14.11.1953.

This was a replacement meeting for a cancelled race at Zandvoort. The track was temporarily banned that year due to the poor-quality surface of a section of the circuit.

First time I have seen a picture of the Welschap meeting, the only airfield race in this country that decade.

#16 Henk

Henk

• 227 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:16

It surely is Holland. But the events? Possibly some kind of Concours d'Elegance in a Dutch seaside town. Possibly Noordwijk? The older car is indeed a 1907 Spyker!

Noordwijk for sure….

Concours d'Elégance, August 4, 1951, organized by the Royal Dutch Automobile Club (KNAC).

The XK120 was entered and driven by Joke’s mother, Mrs. J.J. (Johanna Jacoba) Maasland-Hamersma.

The Spyker was driven by Hans Hugenholtz.

Pictures were taken opposite ‘Hotel Hoek’ (demolished in 1976).

#17 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:29

Noordwijk for sure….

Concours d'Elégance, August 4, 1951, organized by the Royal Dutch Automobile Club (KNAC).

The XK120 was entered and driven by Joke’s mother, Mrs. J.J. (Johanna Jacoba) Maasland-Hamersma.

Thank you Henk! So it is the North Boulevard (Queen Wilhelmina) of Noordwijk, now full of ugly buildings.

#18 Henk

Henk

• 227 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:38

Scheveningen….

The picture was taken at the parking place along the boulevard adjacent to the former ‘Grand Hotel’.
http://www.flickr.co...157621413284991

Here, for many years, the Sports Commission of the KNAC organized their annual ‘Coachwork Concours’.

Apart from the radio reporter (Louis van Noordwijk ?), the persons are probably members of the jury, including KNAC officials.
So far I identified C. (‘Charlie’) A. de Pesters (the bolding man standing 2nd from the left), who was a member of the Sports Commission.

#19 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:50

Top photo indeed looks like Zandvoort. The bottom photo is almost certainly from the airfield races at Welschap on 14.11.1953.

This was a replacement meeting for a cancelled race at Zandvoort. The track was temporarily banned that year due to the poor-quality surface of a section of the circuit.

First time I have seen a picture of the Welschap meeting, the only airfield race in this country that decade.

Wow, fantastic stuff !

As for the top photo in post 14, Hans Maasland had the number 39 on the Cotura BMW in photos from 1953. Could this be him driving the Jaguar at Zandvoort in an earlier event?

As for the November 14 1953 Welschap event, a couple of things:

Posted Image

I believe this is the translation: "Part of the breathtaking duel in the class for cars from 1500 up to 2400 cc, between Van Dieten (first with [Cotura] B.M.W.) and den Ouden with Cidoro"

Posted Image

The results. They show "S. Maasland" in a Jaguar XK120...presumably Simon Maasland.

Vince H.

Advertisement

#20 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:59

Noordwijk for sure….

Thanks for all your help, guys. Fantastic!

Vince H.

#21 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 16:16

Thanks Vince, nice to finally see some photos and results of the Welschap meeting, which was held behind closed doors, so to speak.

Perhaps this is useful to you (and others):

http://www.wegcircui...g_1939-1959.pdf (0.5 mb)

I put this file together awhile ago as a summary of Dutch auto racing from 1939-1959. It forms a basis for further research (which is not high on my priorities list to be honest). Maybe some of you will find it interesting or useful. The results are mostly collected from newspapers and presented without warranty.

#22 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:47

Ah, finally! I have waited so long to see the Coturas!

But never heard from that event in November 1953. What does "Welschap" mean? I did not find that word in the online dictionary.

#23 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:15

You might have better luck with an atlas. It's near Eindhoven

#24 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:21

Oops.

Thank you.

#25 CiroMenotti

CiroMenotti

• 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 16:20

Welschap is the airfield that is now Eindhoven Airport.

Edited by CiroMenotti, 03 August 2012 - 18:31.

#26 Henk

Henk

• 227 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:27

The results. They show "S. Maasland" in a Jaguar XK120...presumably Simon Maasland.

Vince H.

Posted Image

According to the photo caption in the ‘Leidse Courant’ #65 was driven by Joke.

#27 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:13

Scheveningen….

The picture was taken at the parking place along the boulevard adjacent to the former ‘Grand Hotel’.
http://www.flickr.co...157621413284991

Here, for many years, the Sports Commission of the KNAC organized their annual ‘Coachwork Concours’.

Apart from the radio reporter (Louis van Noordwijk ?), the persons are probably members of the jury, including KNAC officials.
So far I identified C. (‘Charlie’) A. de Pesters (the bolding man standing 2nd from the left), who was a member of the Sports Commission.

So that photo would go with the following ones?

Posted Image

"Concours van Koetswerken Aug. 1955 Scheveningen" Is that the Ferrari Joke crashed in 1954? Is that Hans Maasland in the bottom photo?

Posted Image

Which Ferrari coupe is Joke standing beside?

Vince H.

#28 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:47

212 Inter Coupe Ghia 0225EL.

#29 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:32

212 Inter Coupe Ghia 0225EL.

And sold to Dutch racer Eddie Hertzberger. Hertzberger bought this car in 1953 and raced it from 1954.

"Concours van Koetswerken Aug. 1955 Scheveningen" Is that the Ferrari Joke crashed in 1954? Is that Hans Maasland in the bottom photo?

Vince H.

Yes, it is 0420M after restoration in Maranello. Some body details were changed as also its color. Car was sold to Hans Tak who raced it in 1955.

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 13 August 2012 - 11:49.

#30 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:31

Hi Vince H.

Great fotos and commentary but anxiously await the Alfa Romeo fotos as per thread heading!

Richard

#31 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:22

Hi Vince H.

Great fotos and commentary but anxiously await the Alfa Romeo fotos as per thread heading!

Richard

Just two:

Posted Image

April 25th-1st May 1954, Tulip Rally. Results say "#140 Mej. Joh.E. Maasland-Mevr. de Fouw-Niekerk, Alfa Romeo 1900 Ti Sedan, (from) Den Haag". Same licence plate as the XK120 in previous photos, so presumably they sold the XK120 and bought the Alfa? Simon and Mrs. Maasland to the left of the car, I believe. Would this be the start of the rally?

Photo copyright John Schaepman

Posted Image

August 1955, Concours of Coachworks, Scheveningen, Joke Maasland, Alfa. Looks like she's holding a little trophy.

Vince H.

#32 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:05

A couple more photos...I believe they are from the following race:

http://www.racingspo...1950-06-11.html

Am I right?

Posted Image

front row: on the left, Barendregt, Gatso 4000 Roadster; in the middle, Johannes van Dieten, Jaguar XK120; on the right, #47 who?/what?

Posted Image

van Dieten

Photos copyright John Schaepman

Vince H.