Alguersuari says he will be back next year

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#1 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:41

http://www.antena3.c...2071700195.html

Sorry but I couldn't find an english source.

Basically, he says:

- He will be back next year competing in F1 - 100% sure (so this can only mean he signed a contract...)
- Having pirelli knowdledge is very important
- Various teams have been interested, some teams from further up the grid, some from lower

So let the speculation begin... which team did he sign up for? :p

Advertisement

#2 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:42

Force india. I bet you my old computer :p

#3 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:44

Caterham !!! :wave:

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:45

I hope he will be back, he was cut out of the Red Bull program just as he started becoming a consistent performer. He is at the very least better than a third of the current grid. That said, Pirelli knowledge didn't do much for Heidfeld and certainly won't for di Grassi.

#5 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:50

I hope he will be back, he was cut out of the Red Bull program just as he started becoming a consistent performer. He is at the very least better than a third of the current grid. That said, Pirelli knowledge didn't do much for Heidfeld and certainly won't for di Grassi.

:D

Go ahead, name eight drivers from the grid that are worse than Alguersuari.

#6 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:55

It'll be nice to see him back. He showed glimpses of brilliance and hope he gets chance to show what he has again. :)

#7 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 16:56

de la Rosa, Karthikeyan, Pic, Petrov, Senna and Massa are my uncontroversial choices. Kovalainen and tossup between Maldonado or Schumacher are my controversial choices. But it's not a thread about them, the point is Jaime is good enough to be on the current grid.

Edited by Disgrace, 17 July 2012 - 16:57.

#8 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:02

de la Rosa, Karthikeyan, Pic, Petrov, Senna and Massa are my uncontroversial choices. Kovalainen and tossup between Maldonado or Schumacher are my controversial choices. But it's not a thread about them, the point is Jaime is good enough to be on the current grid.

+1

I'd add Vergne and Ricciardo too. They've been erratic and very unconsistent. They can maybe learn, but right now if I wanted a driver for my team, I'd pick Alguersuari over them.

#9 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:03

Ferrari, Williams or Sauber IMO.

It depends if Perez has signed for Ferrari or is staying at Sauber

#10 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:03

Whatever. But he's not better than half of those drivers.

I think he's going to some of the "new teams".

#11 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:13

Good news if you ask me... I think he deserves to be on the grid.

Though I feel the same way about Sutil, Buemi and maybe a few others too.

#12 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:14

Whatever. But he's not better than half of those drivers.

I think he's going to some of the "new teams".

Exactly, it's totally subjective. Also, I agree about him possibly going to a new team as there simply isn't space elsewhere other than at a stretch, Force India, which will be dependant on Schumacher.

Edited by Disgrace, 17 July 2012 - 17:15.

#13 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:18

Exactly, it's totally subjective. Also, I agree about him possibly going to a new team as there simply isn't space elsewhere other than at a stretch, Force India, which will be dependant on Schumacher.

there will only be a place in FI if both guys change team, Mallya has already hinted that Bianchi will be promoted, which also suggest at least one of the current drivers goes to another team.

#14 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:22

Well seeing is believing I guess
He's an OK driver but I don't believe for a second that a team has already contracted him.
It's way too early in the season to contract 2nd tier drivers unless they bring mega sponsoring of course

Hope Jaime finds a seat somewhere though
Read a story about Buemi too the other day, he seems to have integrated well into the Red Bull team as test driver and is doing useful work in the simulator.

:cool:

#15 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:29

there will only be a place in FI if both guys change team, Mallya has already hinted that Bianchi will be promoted, which also suggest at least one of the current drivers goes to another team.

That's the problem for teams have invested resources in young talent. Mercedes in particular with di Resta (so I don't believe for a second he won't go to the factory team so the space after Schumacher is taken too in my eyes), Williams with Bottas and Force India/Ferrari with Bianchi.

The only way a space would come is if either Bianchi or Gutierrez at Sauber fall off the radar for whatever reason, which still requires most likely Perez and di Resta moving to better things.

That leaves Ferrari (who haven't taken an equal-status young driver who hasn't been their test driver first since Alesi) and the new teams. Marussia and HRT are career killers, leaving Caterham.

Edited by Disgrace, 17 July 2012 - 17:31.

#16 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:32

Sorry to hear that, he seems pretty boring on and off the track.

#17 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:36

:lol: You didn't think about that much, did you?

#18 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:41

I think he may be going to Sauber. I've got nothing to base this on, but I think Perez will go to Ferrari and Kobayashi will unfortunately get dropped. Apparently Sauber are thinking of running Frijns or Gutierrez, but they wouldn't want two complete rookies, so Alguersuari would fit in well alongside one of them.

#19 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:42

I'd add Glock, Kobayashi and both current STR drivers to that list as well.

Advertisement

#20 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:44

Marussia and HRT are career killers, leaving Caterham.

Agree but at Caterham they have van de Garde with a big chunk of cash aiming for a 2013 seat

#21 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:47

Theres a 7 time WDC who is less deserving of a drive right now IMO, and Jaime is consderably better value for money.

#22 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:53

I could see him at Mercedes, maybe part of the fallout of di Resta and Hamilton senior that he was unable to secure him that seat.

#23 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:55

Agree but at Caterham they have van de Garde with a big chunk of cash aiming for a 2013 seat

And Petrov with a probably even larger chunk of cash aiming to keep his seat.

#24 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 954 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:57

He certainly deserves a seat. He's better than at least half the drivers currently competing.

#25 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:03

Hard to see where he would end up...Caterham, HRT and Marussia could have a seat for him. Also Sauber and Ferrari are possibilities but I doubt, Kovalainen will most likely go to Sauber and Massa will keep Ferrari seat. He is ok driver but so are many others...from current grid only worse drivers are: Pic, Vergne, Ricciardo,Senna and maybe Petrov...rest are better.

Edited by Vesuvius, 17 July 2012 - 18:05.

#26 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:11

Ferrari aims for a Vettel, they hardly will go for someone who was dropped of a mid-field team.

I think Jaime needs to compete against Pastor or Sergio first, to go further up.

In my opinion, he'll be at Williams/Sauber next year, he deserves at least that seat after his last season at TR, he was improving so much, and his consistency was very good.

Edited by SirRacer, 17 July 2012 - 18:11.

#27 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:12

I could see him occupy a spot if a place frees up somewhere, I don't think he's that good but good enough. Massa and Schumacher could leave, if so other drivers will be called up to replace them and that would free up a place for Alguersuari. Petrov as well I wonder how secure he is..

A couple of people mentioned Bianchi, personally I don't think that guy deserves a drive apart with HRT which is irrelevant anyway..

I think Sutil will keep fighting for a seat too, and IMO he's the best available driver that is not a rookie, despite the nightclub nonsense.

edit: Senna is probably done too, but Bottas will replace him.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 17 July 2012 - 18:14.

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:13

He certainly deserves a seat. He's better than at least half the drivers currently competing.

When somebody said a 1/3 earlier, that was tough to swallow. But half? I dont know about that.......

Bold prediction:

Di Resta to Mercedes(Schumacher out)
Alguersuari to Force India

Less bold:

Alguersuari to Marussia(Pic out)

#29 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:16

Pic pays a lot of dough for his seat... unless Glock goes elsewhere I'm not seeing a driver with minimal funding replacing Pic.

#30 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:19

Ferrari aims for a Vettel, they hardly will go for someone who was dropped of a mid-field team.

I think Jaime needs to compete against Pastor or Sergio first, to go further up.

In my opinion, he'll be at Williams/Sauber next year, he deserves at least that seat after his last season at TR, he was improving so much, and his consistency was very good.

what Ferrari is looking for is a driver for 1 year contract and 2014 they aim to have Vettel...Massa will most likely get 2013 seat or Kovalainen is a next choice, I think Alquersuari is way too unexperienced after all as Montezemelo said they want experienced driver.

Williams has no seats as they will have Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas.

Sauber will keep Sergio Perez and other choice they prefer to get is Kovalainen.

so there is no room for Alguersuari on those seats I'm afraid.

#31 Starish

Starish

• 1,773 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:20

Most overrated driver in a longtime... he won't be back next year..

#32 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:23

Most overrated driver in a longtime... he won't be back next year..

Even if he claims he will and may have already signed a contract?
What are you going to do before then, kneecap him? :p

#33 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:24

To throw a curve ball in there, don't lola intend to join before the 2014 season?

British engineering company Lola Cars, who previously attempted to join the Formula One grid in 2010,[11] have stated their intention to enter the sport before the 2014 engine regulations are introduced, pending the availability of a thirteenth grid entry and finalising an engine partner.[12]
[edit]

source - http://en.wikipedia....mula_One_season

Could be out of date mind you, but signed as a lola for season after?

#34 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:26

To throw a curve ball in there, don't lola intend to join before the 2014 season?

British engineering company Lola Cars, who previously attempted to join the Formula One grid in 2010,[11] have stated their intention to enter the sport before the 2014 engine regulations are introduced, pending the availability of a thirteenth grid entry and finalising an engine partner.[12]
[edit]

source - http://en.wikipedia....mula_One_season

Could be out of date mind you, but signed as a lola for season after?

don't think so unless the messiah comes for them: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99638

#35 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:30

don't think so unless the messiah comes for them: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99638

Bloody wikipedia. :-)

Edited by lambylamby, 17 July 2012 - 18:31.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,957 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:49

Jacques Villeneuve said he'd be back too...

Maybe a team just wants him until Kubica is back to full fitness? :p

#37 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:58

I could see him occupy a spot if a place frees up somewhere, I don't think he's that good but good enough. Massa and Schumacher could leave, if so other drivers will be called up to replace them and that would free up a place for Alguersuari. Petrov as well I wonder how secure he is..

A couple of people mentioned Bianchi, personally I don't think that guy deserves a drive apart with HRT which is irrelevant anyway..

I think Sutil will keep fighting for a seat too, and IMO he's the best available driver that is not a rookie, despite the nightclub nonsense.

edit: Senna is probably done too, but Bottas will replace him.

I only mentioned him because DJ Mallya said he could race next year, I'd rate him about as much as you did... :wave:

#38 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:28

I think Williams could be considering to dump both Maldonado and Senna. Maldonado has finished in the points only twice this year, it just happens that one of those he won the race, so the total of points is a bit misleading (not that I'm saying he didn't deserve to win in Spain).

Next year at Williams Bottas and Kovalainen. Alguersuari at Caterham. Maybe a bit too far-fetched, but who knows?

#39 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:33

Maybe a team just wants him until Kubica is back to full fitness? :p

I.e for the next few years.

Advertisement

#40 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:33

I think Williams could be considering to dump both Maldonado and Senna. Maldonado has finished in the points only twice this year, it just happens that one of those he won the race, so the total of points is a bit misleading (not that I'm saying he didn't deserve to win in Spain).

Next year at Williams Bottas and Kovalainen. Alguersuari at Caterham. Maybe a bit too far-fetched, but who knows?

Williams doesn't have afford to ditch both of theri current drivers unless they get more sponsors. Bottas will surely get the seat, maybe even this year. Kovalainen according to recent rumours is very high on Sauber's list as Peter Sauber is dissapointed in both of his drivers consistency to bring the car over the finnish line, especially to Kobayashi. so I would think Caterham indeed could be the place for Alquersuari.

#41 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:38

Lol with Maldonado/PVDSA contracted until the end of 2015 and paying up to £40 million a year
I don't think so, unless Bottas or Kova bring that kind of money

Is Alguersuari bringing any serious personal sponsors?
Otherwise Petrov and van de Garde will be in Caterham before him

#42 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:41

I think Williams will persevere with Maldonado, he clearly can deliver great results (I don't think Kovalainen could) and if they can get him to calm down then he could be very good. If he carries on in the same vein as he has in the last few races, then they might start to consider him a lost cause. I don't think that will happen though. Reading between the lines, it looks like Senna is already out and Bottas is already in. It seems to me that Bottas already knows that. So, Maldonado and Bottas for Williams. At Caterham, I can actually see Kovalainen getting dropped. Apart from a few decent qualifying performances he has never really done much there and he is often matched or bettered by Petrov in race pace. Plus I don't think Caterham will want to loose all those Roubles. Alguersuari and Petrov in 2013?

#43 BRG

BRG

• 25,893 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:45

Basically, he says:

- He will be back next year competing in F1 - 100% sure (so this can only mean he signed a contract...)
- Having pirelli knowdledge is very important
- Various teams have been interested, some teams from further up the grid, some from lower

Basically, I say:

- he is living in a fantasy world

#44 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:04

Theres a 7 time WDC who is less deserving of a drive right now IMO, and Jaime is consderably better value for money.

How can he possibly be better value then Schumacher when he brings in Millions in endorsements?! What a foolish thing to say.

#45 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,049 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:12

I like Jaime a lot and I'd be interesting to see what he can do in a competitive car.

Put him in the 2nd McLaren :)

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:54

I'd quite like to see him back, Alguersuari had more to give in my opinion, even if he didn't exactly set the world on fire. I have absolutely no idea where he could fit in though.

#47 l8apex

l8apex

• 556 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 21:56

Perhaps he is trying to find a decent drive, but has decided that if all else fails he will accept an HRT deal... because that's the only way he will be in next year for sure.

#48 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:34

Van der Garde has had this 'big chunk of cash' hanging around since 2006, and he's got him squat in F1... if he was going to get a seat he would've got it this year when Trulli's seat became available... unless his 'big chunk of cash' isn't actually as much as most people seem to think it is. It's bought him GP2 rides but nothing more than tests in F1 cars.

#49 Chomsky

Chomsky

• 363 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:37

He is going to Ferrari. Think about it.

#50 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:39

He is going to Ferrari. Think about it.

He and Fernando aren't the best of the friends... if you know what I mean...