Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:25

Posted Image

Advertisement

#3802 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:56

:lol: nice

that pic sums it up for me. 'Oh you were the best driver of the year? Well that's nice, have a look at my trophy.."

Edited by goldenboy, 20 December 2012 - 06:47.

#3803 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:17

The messiah-like gesture in that picture is good photoshop material. :)

#3804 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,712 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:33

Ha!

#3805 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:02

I do not understand, in good terms, why some media are returning to Seb's "Brazil move", and what is their point to rehash yesterday's headlines?

#3806 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:18

I do not understand, in good terms, why some media are returning to Seb's "Brazil move", and what is their point to rehash yesterday's headlines?

I suppose because he got asked about it and finally gave an answer that is a little more controversial than the usual politically correct answer he has been giving (don't get me wrong, I think he has every right to start giving it back to alonso a bit).

#3807 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03

There were number of incidents during course of a season, so why pick this one, unless one wants to cast doubt over FiA's decision, and create contraversy? Unfortunately I have seen this movie already to suspect where it is heading.

#3808 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:49

There were number of incidents during course of a season, so why pick this one, unless one wants to cast doubt over FiA's decision, and create contraversy? Unfortunately I have seen this movie already to suspect where it is heading.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you are making out.

#3809 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01

The messiah-like gesture in that picture is good photoshop material. :)

Big size here for those who want to make it a photoshop material

#3810 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:05

I will be glad to be proven wrong on this point, but if your read some past articles carefully as I have for over span of a decade, and compare language (tone, form, focus, etc.) used with those of about some other drivers, you may find out that my concern is not totally without merit.

#3811 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 13:48

Montezemolo: Vettel next in line for ‘number 1′ Ferrari seat

“If, tomorrow, Fernando would withdraw for any reason – let’s say he moves to Hawaii with his girlfriend – then I would want Vettel,” laughed the fabled Maranello based team’s president, according to Auto Motor und Sport.

But he also doesn’t spare his praise of German Vettel, who while contracted to Red Bull has been the subject of long speculation his future could be in red.

“He’s young,” Montezemolo started, “he has his feet on the floor, and he has an indomitable will to win.

“Schumacher made me aware of him years ago because he knew him from his karting years. I must say, Michael was right.”

Montezemolo admitted Vettel, 25, is higher on Ferrari’s wish list than is Lewis Hamilton.

“Because he is younger, and because Ferrari would be Hamilton’s third team. And if you’ve reached your third team, your career is already in its second half.”

Indeed, Montezemolo said he doesn’t even mind that Vettel accused Ferrari of playing “dirty tricks” in a bid to beat him to the 2012 title.

“In the heat of battle,” said the Italian, “you can always say something emotional.”

#3812 Zava

Zava

• 5,019 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 14:07

“Because he is younger, and because Ferrari would be Hamilton’s third team. And if you’ve reached your third team, your career is already in its second half.”

correct me if I'm wrong, but Seb would be STR - RBR - ferrari, which also is 3.
if you count the BMW test drive and stand-in race, then 4. :p
and the last line is no comment...

#3813 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 14:08

Yes, you are correct. :D

#3814 joshb

joshb

• 3,286 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 14:45

correct me if I'm wrong, but Seb would be STR - RBR - ferrari, which also is 3.
if you count the BMW test drive and stand-in race, then 4. :p
and the last line is no comment...

you beat me too it. Seb's only reason for going to Ferrari then would be for a last payday before retirement!

#3815 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 15:52

Red car scent should never be underestimated.

#3816 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 16:31

bourbon would not like that. :lol:

#3817 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:13

Montezemolo: Vettel next in line for ‘number 1′ Ferrari seat

I guess he just said what makes most sense right now. Vettel wants to Ferrari at some point and they want him. But neither RB nor Ferrari have good reasons to let their top drivers go right now. However, Alonso has a contract until 2016/17, which is ridiculously long in F1 terms and enough time to change the whole picture.

#3818 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:18

That's true. A lot of things can happen in the upcoming years. I think Seb can also get an advice from Michael and Kimi with regards to Ferrari.

#3819 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 616 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:43

It's only a matter of time now before Vettel goes to Ferrari. What Luca wants he normaly gets.
If Alonso doesn't win the WDC in '13, the pressure will mount on Fred and Luca. That 2016/17 contract is a long way out, but Santander has the resources to cut it short and pay his buyout clause. Who knows, maybe Newey follows Seb to Marenello. Also sounds like Hulkenburg has the line on seat#2 through the engine connection at Sauber.

Advertisement

#3820 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:37

So here is a fuller version of what Luca had to say. Some might say he was mending fences, but seeing as Seb has been going on about Ferrari going on 7 years now (that I know of), I didn't figure there were any fences to mend really. In any case, it is the right thing for Luca to do in light of Ferrari's recent behavior following the championship - and I suppose Luca likes to make it clear that the welcome mat is still out.

Luca even debunked some of the favorite accusations of Seb's detractors (like his being arrogant or lacking potential - because its zee car!). And Luca doesn't need to see Vettel in yet another inferior car to make his mind up either - which likely means he actually recalls the 2007-2008 STRF drives, lol.

In any case, looks like our trolley is still being shifted along the tracks leading to Ferrari. "I aint even mad" - lol - these things one just has to accept and try to see it through the driver's eyes. If Seb is happy, I'll deal - as I did through Kimi's red car run.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20809274. By Andrew Benson - he's not known to be much of a fan of Sebastian, so read with a grain of salt handy:

"Ferrari favour Sebastian Vettel over Lewis Hamilton"

Ferrari say they would choose Sebastian Vettel over Lewis Hamilton if they needed to appoint a new lead driver.

The company's president, Luca Di Montezemolo, said he believed Ferrari's current driver Fernando Alonso was the best in Formula 1.

But the Italian added that Vettel, 25, "would be very good for us".

"Between all the drivers, Vettel and Hamilton could be perfect for Ferrari in the future, with one difference - Vettel is younger," he said.

"First of all, of all the drivers, we have the best - in terms of speed, intelligence in the race, and a capability to work with the team.

"When you have the best driver you have to put him in the best condition to succeed, to win and have a good environment without peer troubles.

"But if Alonso decided to go to live in Hawaii with the girlfriend, I have no doubt that for human and professional reasons [I would choose] Vettel. He would be very good for us.

"I like Vettel, because he is not presumptuous. He wants to win but he is not arrogant. Michael [Schumacher] told me many years ago that coming from karts, Vettel had the most potential of any young driver and he was right."

After finishing fourth in the 2012 drivers' standings in 2012 - 91 points behind Germany's Vettel - McLaren's former world champion Hamilton, 27, will instead line up for Mercedes next season.

Di Montezemolo, 65, said 31-year-old Spaniard Alonso, who narrowly lost out to Red Bull's Vettel in this year's championship despite having an inferior car, was a powerful mix of the good qualities of two great Ferrari champions - Niki Lauda and Michael Schumacher.

"Niki was very intelligent in the race and the first driver to be closer to the team, details, working even in the night," he said.

"Michael was, for me, a war machine in the race because he was in condition to do 60 laps like qualifying.

"Fernando is a good mix between the two. He is very intelligent. He knows when to push, how to save the tyres, when to attack, super intelligent and super quick, too.

"It is difficult to make comparisons [across different eras] but he is right at the top. But I'm very happy with Fernando. He is a key member of the team."

bourbon would not like that. :lol:

You know me well. :D

Edited by bourbon, 21 December 2012 - 10:42.

#3821 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:07

The most interesting bit about the whole interview was what Schumi said about Seb so many years ago. The biggest potential is of course quite a bit even we don't know the sample but Schumi certainly has been vindicated on that one.

The rest is rather obvious and nothing new. Luca knows that Seb is very strong and still very young. He knows that he has to defend his current star driver which according to him works best without internal peer trouble. All in all this means that right now they will continue with Fernando as long as it works well enough in their view, pairing him with a clear Nr. 2. If something big changes in the Ferrari-Fernando relationship and Seb is still performing as well as he has so far the youngest 3xWDC is the most likely candidate for the seat.

Still I would carry on and support Red Bull but at least it would not be too bad if the right red car wins.

Edited by H2H, 21 December 2012 - 11:10.

#3822 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13

I like Vettel, because he is not presumptuous. He wants to win but he is not arrogant. Michael [Schumacher] told me many years ago that coming from karts, Vettel had the most potential of any young driver and he was right.

Hmmm. Thats interesting. Fernando's boss accepting that Seb has the 'most potential' out of the current lot. Now if that isnt respect and admiration, then I dont know what it is. (MA)

#3823 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:15

My my, one could read that almost as the first hints of "alonso is getting stale"... And like others said above, that montezemolo guy is a moron who is unable to even count the number of teams a driver has been in...

Edited by Rikhart, 21 December 2012 - 11:16.

#3824 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:33

Speaking of Michael informing people about Seb's potential.

Gerhard Berger-" It was Schumacher who informed me of Sebastian Vettel"

You know me well. :D

Seeing how open-minded you are with regards to that, it is obvious to see. :D

#3825 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,180 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 13:01

Hmmm. Thats interesting. Fernando's boss accepting that Seb has the 'most potential' out of the current lot. Now if that isnt respect and admiration, then I dont know what it is. (MA)

'Any young driver'

#3826 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 13:42

Speaking of Michael informing people about Seb's potential.

Gerhard Berger-" It was Schumacher who informed me of Sebastian Vettel"

Seeing how open-minded you are with regards to that, it is obvious to see. :D

Nice. Note that this is from 2007 and Schumi said that much earlier when Seb was still karting. It was a big thing to say but boy it played out practically a 100%, which is rare indeed. The reaction of Seb seems to show that he (obviously) didn't know what Schumi had said to Berger.

Edited by H2H, 21 December 2012 - 13:44.

#3827 Zava

Zava

• 5,019 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 00:44

http://www.auto.it/a..._medium=twitter
autosprint has Vettel in their top10 ever as well. :) the biggest difference to the BBC top20's top10 is that this has Ascari instead of Alonso, Senna and Clark are further back, Stewart and MS closer to the front.

#3828 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:08

'Any young driver'

Even if you want to exclude Fernando - who still was young back then - courtesy of him being 6 years older than Seb, Hamilton surely cant be excluded from that list, right?

#3829 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:37

http://www.auto.it/a..._medium=twitter
autosprint has Vettel in their top10 ever as well. :) the biggest difference to the BBC top20's top10 is that this has Ascari instead of Alonso, Senna and Clark are further back, Stewart and MS closer to the front.

I would rather not put active competitors in there however I have to say they got the first places better then some recent British attempts which might arguably have been influenced quite a bit by recent media events.

#3830 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42

their top 3 is fangio, schumi and stewart? LMAO

#3831 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:46

I've just seen this picture, sorry if its been posted before but :eek:

How the right rear suspension didn't give way i'll never know!! Amazing picture.

Posted Image

#3832 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:35

How the right rear suspension didn't give way i'll never know!! Amazing picture.

Maybe the Pirellis are so soft that they essentially act as airbags. :)

Kobayashi at the start at Spa was even more amazing.

#3833 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:56

Posted Image

That is unbelievable.

#3834 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 15:07

First of all the cars were not that fast at this point, the relative speed (delta) was not too big and the tyres deformation absorbed a good deal of the peak momentum. Secondly the vector of the impact favoured greatly the RB8, with the impact more in line with rear axis while Sennas tyre was more perpendicular with Sebs tyre acting like a big Kerb. Then Sennas suspenision broke first, acting a bit like a crash structure and unable to trasmit a large force on Sebs tyre. All in all excellent luck in a very bad luck one.

Edited by H2H, 23 December 2012 - 15:10.

#3835 joshb

joshb

• 3,286 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 15:08

Maybe the Pirellis are so soft that they essentially act as airbags. :)

Kobayashi at the start at Spa was even more amazing.

Yes Sky had the Belgian GP replay on just now and how his car took the weighto f Hamilton's car on its suspension I'll never know.
I also remember that race in the big crash at T1, Seb was the only driver in the field still remaining who had lost places on lap 1!
Still, P12 to P2 at the restart was a good effort.

#3836 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 16:31

Kind of funny. Was reading old threads at ferrarichat.com and saw this one from 2009:
Is there a driver out there EVERYONE likes? To go to Ferrari?

Practically everyone named Vettel, saying how "nice, great, natural, cool, and down to earth" he is.

And then I saw this comment:

I like Vettel but you watch it is Schumacher all over again. When MS entered into F1 his happiness and smiling was universaly welcomed. Fast forward a few years when he is winning everything and the SAME smile and enthusiasm is seen as arrogant and smug.

Make no mistake: NOBODY LIKES A WINNER.

Vettel has not won enough yet. Give him a few years and you will see what I mean.

They had no idea. :up: :up:

#3837 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 18:09

Wow. That is amazing.

#3838 sopa

sopa

• 3,000 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 19:16

Kind of funny. Was reading old threads at ferrarichat.com and saw this one from 2009:
Is there a driver out there EVERYONE likes? To go to Ferrari?

Practically everyone named Vettel, saying how "nice, great, natural, cool, and down to earth" he is.

And then I saw this comment:

They had no idea. :up: :up:

Awesome find.

The funniest thing is that Vettel's rating was probably higher back then and has dropped.:D In 2009 he was rated as one of the fastest drivers on the grid, a match to Hamilton and Alonso.

Fast forward three years. Vettel has done everything possible to prove himself. Three WDC's. And now people say he is inferior to Alonso and Hamilton.
:D

#3839 joshb

joshb

• 3,286 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:06

Awesome find.

The funniest thing is that Vettel's rating was probably higher back then and has dropped.:D In 2009 he was rated as one of the fastest drivers on the grid, a match to Hamilton and Alonso.

Fast forward three years. Vettel has done everything possible to prove himself. Three WDC's. And now people say he is inferior to Alonso and Hamilton.

success.
The more you win, the more holes people find to pick on- even if they don't actually exist.
People like Perez, Hulkenberg seem well liked. but wait till they start winning (which Perez probably will this year and Hulkenberg will at some point soon) and then see. Already I got the sense that people had changed opinion on Perez between his Mclaren transfer being announced and now.

Advertisement

#3840 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:20

success.
The more you win, the more holes people find to pick on- even if they don't actually exist.
People like Perez, Hulkenberg seem well liked. but wait till they start winning (which Perez probably will this year and Hulkenberg will at some point soon) and then see. Already I got the sense that people had changed opinion on Perez between his Mclaren transfer being announced and now.

True but that might have more to do with both the fact from the announcement onwards he failed to score a single point, due in part to avoidable errors which led to several retirements, and that him now being in the limelight has led to more scrutiny of his past performances and achievements.

#3841 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:38

Awesome find.

I don't think that is true actually. Some people downplay Vettel, but he still appeared in the top 10 of at least two all time greatest ratings, he features 3 times in a row in Laureus awards and has the best votings from team principals on a 5 year average. My impression is actually that his rating has continuously improved each year. We have to acknowledge that the grid is very strong right now, so being at or near the top is quite a feat even with 3 WDCs. It takes some time for everyone to realise the level of success he had. In addition, he won against McLaren and Ferrari driver who have lots of supporters.

#3842 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 21:02

I just realized that Sebastian is the first ever driver to win the WDC at night, at day, and in rainy conditions. :D

#3843 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 22:53

I just realized that Sebastian is the first ever driver to win the WDC at night, at day, and in rainy conditions. :D

Alonso also won Singapore ;-)
Or has he never won a wet race before Malaysia this year?

Edited by mnmracer, 24 December 2012 - 22:57.

#3844 sopa

sopa

• 3,000 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 22:59

Alonso also won Singapore ;-)
Or has he never won a wet race before Malaysia this year?

I think the point was securing a WDC in all conditions.

2010 Abu Dhabi - night
2011 Suzuka - day
2012 Brazil - rain

#3845 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,712 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:46

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! And may the new year bring us more Vettel cheer! :up: :D

#3846 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:33

I think the point was securing a WDC in all conditions.

2010 Abu Dhabi - night
2011 Suzuka - day
2012 Brazil - rain

Yes this is exactly what I meant. :D

#3847 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:36

Ah yeah, won WDC; read races.
Awesome :D

#3848 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 13:03

Kuddo's to F1T user Juzh for a great video of Vettel's 2012 overtakes:

Bookmark it for any "Vettel can't overtake" discussions :cool:

#3849 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 13:43

Kuddo's to F1T user Juzh for a great video of Vettel's 2012 overtakes:

Bookmark it for any "Vettel can't overtake" discussions :cool:

Really? If you compare that video to an equivalent one of other top driver, it seems it's useful for making the opposite case, it was almost exclusively DRS overtakes on backmarkers :D

#3850 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 13:55

Really? If you compare that video to an equivalent one of other top driver, it seems it's useful for making the opposite case, it was almost exclusively DRS overtakes on backmarkers :D

You should double-check your definition of DRS and backmarkers ;-)