Photo

Ten down, ten to go. Hungarian GP build up

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,293 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32

The dust has only settled at Hockenheim as we head towards our second double header at Hungaroring.

Posted Image

Circuit Name: Hungaroring
Number of Laps: 70
Circuit Length: 4.381 km
Race Distance: 306.630 km
Lap Record: 1:19.071 - M Schumacher (2004)

Alonso is leading the way with 34p ahead of Mark Webber as we enter the courtain raiser for the second and crucial half of this years world championship. But with the Mclarens looking strong and Lotus yet to score that maiden victory, who will put on a show in Budapest?

Discuss!

Edited by Richard T, 23 July 2012 - 11:36.

Advertisement

#2 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32

One or two DRS zones?

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 959 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:34

It will be very hot on the weekend.
http://www.wetter.co...e/?id=HU0BU0001

#4 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:42

I think it's very open. If Lotus are strong in Qualy (big if) then I think this could be their weekend.

#5 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:48

It's not that* hot and may be rainy:

http://www.idokep.hu/elorejelzes (The site I use day by day for weather forecast.)

*Some weeks before it was constantly nearing 40°C for weeks. It was awfully suffering.

#6 silversurf3r

silversurf3r

• 287 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:49

According to this could rain on Saturday!

7 day forecast

#7 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:14

One or two DRS zones?

Home straight or 3-4, or both? Or none...?

#8 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:16

Just checking the weather models there is currently strong agreement on a pretty unsettled weekend from Friday night onwards.

#9 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:19

Home straight or 3-4, or both? Or none...?

If one, 'cause there will be atleast one, it'll be on the main straight, like last year, but there was talk of perhaps having two zones this year.

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 959 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21

It's not that* hot and may be rainy:

http://www.idokep.hu/elorejelzes (The site I use day by day for weather forecast.)

*Some weeks before it was constantly nearing 40°C for weeks. It was awfully suffering.

Nice to know. :up:
Oh please no rain. :down:

Edited by Yoshi, 23 July 2012 - 12:21.

#11 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26

I can find reasons to think Mclaren will win.
I can find reasons to think Ferrari will win.
I can find reasons to think Red Bull will win.
I can find reasons to think Lotus will win.
And I can even think of reasons that a Mercedes might win.

#12 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:28

I think Sauber will rather win a race before Mercedes wins another this season. Both possible, but not too likely.

#13 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:44

Can't predict this one to be honest. Ferrari should be strong on race pace on this track type, though.

#14 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:45

I think Sauber will rather win a race before Mercedes wins another this season. Both possible, but not too likely.

Well the reason I say Mercedes is cuz Rosberg had a car to fight for the win in Monaco and cars that go well there historically go well at Hungary, too.

#15 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:53

Well the reason I say Mercedes is cuz Rosberg had a car to fight for the win in Monaco and cars that go well there historically go well at Hungary, too.

Could it also have something to do with the fact that both are known driver circuits, where the driver can make more of a difference?

Edited by Kvothe, 23 July 2012 - 12:53.

#16 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,505 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:54

This could be a very unusual Hungarian grand prix.

#17 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:00

The landscape has changed a bit since Monaco but I must say: it goes up and down so quickly that a prediction now will instantly be a penny's worth.

#18 Owen

Owen

• 10,774 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:01

In what way? :confused:

#19 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:05

To jump in before we get the usual comments of "It's such a boring track".

IMHO The layout of the Hungaroring is very fun to drive, fast, twisty, unforgiving. I think it should be a fun race, the Pirellis even made Valencia interesting for once i'm sure the same can apply here.

Advertisement

#20 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:07

According to this could rain on Saturday!

7 day forecast

Another Alonso pole and possible win

#21 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:09

IMHO The layout of the Hungaroring is very fun to drive, fast, twisty, unforgiving. I think it should be a fun race, the Pirellis even made Valencia interesting for once i'm sure the same can apply here.

The second sector is very cool to drive, like the last sector at Valencia.

#22 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:17

Lotus win, it's their last chance (maybe).

#23 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:36

It's already a classic track. Interestingly it's 3rd after Monaco and Monza on the list of the periods of continually hosting grands prix. It beats Silverstone by one as the 1986 British GP was at Brands Hatch.

Funnily its location is also Mo' as with Monaco and Monza; the track is in the area of the small town of Mogyoród and that word would translate to 'your (pea)nut'. :lol:

#24 pottiella

pottiella

• 342 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:41

Another Alonso pole and possible win

Yes, if everything goes right, he's definitely in that mental 'zone' - he just seems to be commanding that Ferrari like it's his slave...BUT I can't help but feel an unexpected bad race is around the corner for him...and boy is Horner trying to curse him at every race for it! 'Fernando is going to have a bad race...' 'Fernando will have a DNF...'

Everyone has been saying every race 'this could be the one for Lotus' and it never is...however, I think the track might suit them, and I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

I can see Lewis and Seb regrouping, and one of them getting the win...Mclaren have always been good at Hungary.

#25 Risil

Risil

• 14,463 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:52

I know, I was there! Weird thing was, before I went on holiday I'd read a forecast predicting high 20s max temperatures, so I kept telling myself "it's not that hot, get a hold of yourself, stop complaining" and so on. When I discovered I'd been walking miles each day in 35-40 degree heat I felt pretty tough. Beautiful city. :up: And I saw the local GP3 driver Tamás Pál Kiss on a couple of billboards, which speaks for the enthusiasm for Grand Prix racing in Hungary.

(I don't know about it being a "classic" track (there are very few on the current F1 calendar, IMHO) but it's got a lot of history and I always enjoy the races. Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Damon Hill and Mick Doohan all won their first Grands Prix there, which is pretty cool. Romain Grosjean might make a good addition to that list. :) )

Edited by Risil, 23 July 2012 - 14:31.

#26 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:10

Given a good qualifiyng McLaren will walk this. Lewis Pos 1 and Button Pos 2.

#27 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:13

Very often Monaco and Hungaroring performances go hand in hand, but far from always. I should have more recent examples, but McLaren in 01 and 02; fast in Monaco, slow in Hungary both years.
Sauber is on a roll, Merc is a bit off.

#28 Nigol

Nigol

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:17

:up: Agreed.

#29 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:22

it is a slowish track but we had so many great gps there...1986 piquet overtaking senna on the outside....1988. mansell winning from 12th overtaking senna for the win...1990. great fights and controversial collisons senna vs nannini and berger vs mansell....1997. hill almost winnig for arrows...1998. schumacher with one extra stop vs mclarens...2003. alonsos first win...2006. fantastic alonso on the wet track and buttons first win...2008. massas fantastic start and cruel dnf few laps from the end...kovalainens first win...

#30 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:23

How so? Spa is yet to come.

#31 Draurelian75

Draurelian75

• 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:51

well, Hungaroring is a slow track, usual it goes in high temperatures as 35C+ is a normal temperature for end july so the track may be at 45-50C - that means the tyre consumption will be at high and degradation big time. A lot of teams will be in trouble from the tyre management - my bets will go for the cars / drivers that are most forgiving with the rubber - Lotus and Sauber may score the first wins this season.
I see Alonso doing another great damage control race and beeing happy to score a top 5, RedBulls both if they got unmapped will strugle and McLarens in good shape for top 5 positions as well.
But, if i were to gamble, i'll put some bucks on Kimi, Grojean and Perez.

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,446 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:56

Highly doubt that. They haven't needed to win yet in order to remain competitive in both championships thus far. It's unlikely they'll win the titles without a race victory, but they are not desperately in need of it due to the consistency of the car at all circuits. They've also had two performing drivers all year, unlike Ferrari and McLaren.

#33 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:59

... a dusty, slippery surface that progressively rubbers in over the course of the weekend. This puts grip at a premium, which is one of the reasons why Pirelli has brought the P Zero Yellow soft and P Zero Red supersoft tires to the Hungaroring. The 16 corners are tight and narrow, similar to Monte Carlo, with a low average speed. This makes the circuit ideally suited to the softer tires in Pirelli’s P Zero range, although this is the first time all season that the supersoft will face competition in very warm weather.

While it rained in Budapest over the weekend, temperatures for the race are expected to be in the region of 79 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning that the drivers will have to think about conserving their tires

Source: Pirelli

-------------

#34 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:04

The trucks are getting there.

Images from Hungaroring's FB:

http://www.facebook....4...3742&type=1

Posted Image

#35 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:49

Source: Pirelli

-------------

I thought Pirelli were taking the soft and medium to Hungary?
http://f1update.com/..._up_to_Hungary/

#36 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:13

The trucks are getting there.

Images from Hungaroring's FB:

http://www.facebook....4...3742&type=1

Posted Image

Don't hang around do they? Such a tight turnaround.

As for the track, until the Barhain and Abu Dhabi turned up it was one of the most boring tracks on the calender. IMO. But to be fair, since they've changed it, it's slightly better.

#37 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,659 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:19

As for the track, until the Barhain and Abu Dhabi turned up it was one of the most boring tracks on the calender. IMO. But to be fair, since they've changed it, it's slightly better.

DRS and rain are usually the only things that saves Hungary from being completely boring.

Nice track to drive, but its so ridiculously hard to pass here normally(w/o DRS) even after the changes.

#38 sock22

sock22

• 406 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:22

http://f1weather.com/

This link predicts very high temperatures with the chance of thundery showers, suggesting that race day could be most affected. If it rains, it is hard to look past the Ferraris as that just seems to be perfect in the wet. If it's dry, Lotus must be a good bet, with high temperatures and lots of aero demand. McLaren may also get to show their potential this weekend too. Personally, I would prefer a dry, uninterrupted weekend just to see where the teams are at.

#39 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:41

Don't hang around do they? Such a tight turnaround.

Yep, very tight turnaround.

IMO, it may be boring for today's F1 as it's made for a different era, for the late 80s. It's not ideal for today's very aero sensitive cars. But that's a problem with some other and even modern tracks too.

Last year a professional photographer (at the caption of his photo at Autosport Plus' Zoom feature) said something along the lines, it's not a fancy modern track, showing its age, but it has character and soul, what the modern tracks lack.

Anyway, interestingly its layout was designed by Bernard Ecclestone.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,477 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:21

Just thought I'd bring in a contrast to the modern perspective on the track by bringing up a quote from Ken Tyrrell from when the track was new in 1986:

"This brand-new circuit got a wonderful reception from the public. The crowd are a long way from the action but they seemed to like it. At least they went in their numbers. It is a very slow circuit - the slowest of the non-street races by a long way - but it is an excellent modern facility and I have found it a most interesting track. Drivers complained that it was too slow but I think a circuit like this serves a purpose. The beauty of grand-prix (sic) racing is the variation in the type of circuits, and I think there's a place for a circuit like Hungary's in the calendar." - from Grand Prix by Alan Henry & Alan Brinton, 1987.

Interesting how the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 23 July 2012 - 22:22.

#41 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:33

Did you see the 1997 race? Nothing this weekend can bring can top that...

#42 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:52

Slow corners,very little flat out section,mechanical grip rules..me thinks Mercedes may cause a surprise(based on Monaco)

High tire degradation,high downforce...Lotus could win

Ferrari will be there as always...no idea on Mclaren and RB.

In short nothing can be predicted..traditionally difficult to overtake here so maybe Quali would be all important

Edited by grunge, 23 July 2012 - 22:53.

#43 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:25

RB will be fast for sure. Lotus will be fast if it's hot.

I think the track is good, it should make for a much better race than Hockenheim.

#44 MP422

MP422

• 2,038 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:43

I hope. The champs aren't over.

#45 anachronox

anachronox

• 148 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58

I would say its Mclaren's race to lose in Hungary. They were very good in Hockenheim!

#46 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:17

Two words:

DRS.
Strategy.

I think it's not already done and dusted.

#47 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:17

I would say its Mclaren's race to lose in Hungary. They were very good in Hockenheim!

they were?

other than hamilton's pace on fresh rubber after he left he pits, i didn't see much indication of that. unless your referring to practice pace.. but I doubt that you are.

#48 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:26

That's like I would say it's McLaren's race to lose in Monaco. They were very good in Barcelona!

#49 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:36

they were?

other than hamilton's pace on fresh rubber after he left he pits, i didn't see much indication of that. unless your referring to practice pace.. but I doubt that you are.

You didnt? Not even when Button was catching the leaders and almost getting the win from 7th? If he had started a few places higher up and not having to navigate through so much traffic, the McLaren looked like a race winner to me.

#50 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,976 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:03

RB will be fast for sure. Lotus will be fast if it's hot.

I think the track is good, it should make for a much better race than Hockenheim.

It will be hot, we're looking at probably anything between 28-32 degrees, give or take. The only issue is that we could get a couple of storms because of the heat, which going by the detailed forecasts is certainly possible, but whether it rains or not, it will be hot.