Photo

Ten down, ten to go. Hungarian GP build up

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:01

Did you see the 1997 race? Nothing this weekend can bring can top that...

Why not? I'm not excluding Toro Rosso win at all or something like that.

Advertisement

#52 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:20

Yeah JV won. Nothing unusual about that in '97.;)

#53 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,892 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:24

Yeah JV won. Nothing unusual about that in '97.;)

Putting aside Arrows\DH, Schumacher scrapping with Shinji Nakano or being a mobile chicane for most of the race was not unusual? Johnny Herbert's Sauber finishing 3rd a good 10-15s clear of MS? A Benetton (driven by Jean Alesi no less) finishing behind a Minardi? I could go on but you get the gist...

#54 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:21

Putting aside Arrows\DH, Schumacher scrapping with Shinji Nakano or being a mobile chicane for most of the race was not unusual? Johnny Herbert's Sauber finishing 3rd a good 10-15s clear of MS? A Benetton (driven by Jean Alesi no less) finishing behind a Minardi? I could go on but you get the gist...

Whoosh

#55 Snic

Snic

• 564 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 19:58

Hate making predictions but can't see Mercedes doing well, absolutely no pace on the prime tyres in Germany and remember Schumacher only snatched pole away from Red Bull by less than a tenth in Monaco.

Onboard pole lap from 2003 with Alonso! Can't believe it's been 9 years since his first pole position (sorry couldn't find a stand alone video)

#56 morals

morals

• 150 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 21:26

Hate making predictions but can't see Mercedes doing well, absolutely no pace on the prime tyres in Germany and remember Schumacher only snatched pole away from Red Bull by less than a tenth in Monaco.

Onboard pole lap from 2003 with Alonso! Can't believe it's been 9 years since his first pole position (sorry couldn't find a stand alone video)

9 years since his first pole, right, but that wasn't the first pole, this was:

:)

#57 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,361 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 21:57

The 2006 podium wasn't completely predictable either - with a first time winner coming from #14 on the grid, a first and only time podium for the guy who finished #2 and a pretty unusual podium for Sauber as an addition.

It's still one of my favourite races from the last 10 years or so - though it must have been quite heartbreaking for say, some Fernando, Schumi or Kimi fans among us.

Edited by scheivlak, 24 July 2012 - 21:58.

#58 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 22:06

Slow corners,very little flat out section,mechanical grip rules..me thinks Mercedes may cause a surprise(based on Monaco)

High tire degradation,high downforce...Lotus could win

Ferrari will be there as always...no idea on Mclaren and RB.

In short nothing can be predicted..traditionally difficult to overtake here so maybe Quali would be all important

Sector 2 speaks against that. In 2010 Red Bull were dominant there. Almost one second in that sector alone that year. Mercedes don't have anywhere near the downforce required to run fast there. They will be quick in S1 and S3 but so will everyone else. It's going to be inside 0.15 seconds the top 10 cars in S1 I personally predict. McLaren, Vettel and Alonso will be the ones to watch in S2.

Edited by jeze, 24 July 2012 - 22:12.

#59 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:29

I can find reasons to think Mclaren will win.
I can find reasons to think Ferrari will win.
I can find reasons to think Red Bull will win.
I can find reasons to think Lotus will win.
And I can even think of reasons that a Mercedes might win.

and I can think of more reasons for Sauber or Williams having more chance to win than Mercedes

Slow corners,very little flat out section,mechanical grip rules..me thinks Mercedes may cause a surprise(based on Monaco)

and there you go with a typical correlation which probably won't reveal to be true.

You know, Bahrain and Canada are also full of slow corners where mechanical grip rules, they are even better for Mercedes because they have plenty more straights to play in their hands.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a correlation of performances for Monaco and those 2 tracks, so no, Mercedes won't do anything special here, if I have to make a prediction.

Edited by BetaVersion, 25 July 2012 - 01:58.

Advertisement

#60 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:33

Monaco isn't necessarily a good indicator of Hungary performance.

For example in 2008 Williams was very good at Monaco and poor at Hungary. Toyota was poor at Monaco and very good at Hungary.

#61 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28

Hot weather doesn't suit Mercedes at all. Monaco was one off because of pretty cold weather.

#62 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,841 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:36

Yeah. Look how much they slipped back from China to Bahrain in two weeks...

#63 Bleu

Bleu

• 750 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:17

Just thought I'd bring in a contrast to the modern perspective on the track by bringing up a quote from Ken Tyrrell from when the track was new in 1986:

"This brand-new circuit got a wonderful reception from the public. The crowd are a long way from the action but they seemed to like it. At least they went in their numbers. It is a very slow circuit - the slowest of the non-street races by a long way - but it is an excellent modern facility and I have found it a most interesting track. Drivers complained that it was too slow but I think a circuit like this serves a purpose. The beauty of grand-prix (sic) racing is the variation in the type of circuits, and I think there's a place for a circuit like Hungary's in the calendar." - from Grand Prix by Alan Henry & Alan Brinton, 1987.

Interesting how the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Sadly I think the F1 has lost some of that what Uncle Ken was saying.

#64 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 915 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:19

Sector 2 speaks against that. In 2010 Red Bull were dominant there. Almost one second in that sector alone that year. Mercedes don't have anywhere near the downforce required to run fast there. They will be quick in S1 and S3 but so will everyone else. It's going to be inside 0.15 seconds the top 10 cars in S1 I personally predict. McLaren, Vettel and Alonso will be the ones to watch in S2.

let me add the Sauber's and MALboy

#65 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,183 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 18:39

Latest weather forecasts? They should be pretty reliable already.

#66 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 19:01

Well, if somebody claims to have a reliable forcast, don't believe it. The most probable is that the high temperature (30-35 Celsius) comes back for the weekend. There might be thunderstorms too.

#67 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,875 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:56

After checking a few websites, I think the general consensus atm is dry Saturday and Sunday, with increased chances of thunderstorms on Sunday but only in the evening.

#68 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:26

After checking a few websites, I think the general consensus atm is dry Saturday and Sunday, with increased chances of thunderstorms on Sunday but only in the evening.

Great! :up:

#69 sterla

sterla

• 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43

hi
this year or better next year i want to go to hungaroring
which is the cost for friday?
and is possible like monza go to all granstands?
and which is the best grandstands for better photos?
i already stay in budapest but the circuit is so far from the centre of the city, exist a bus or other for the travel to the circuit?

thanks and sorry for the questions and for my english

#70 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,873 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:53

Not sure what websites you've been checking, but with everything I've read from people who actually write forecasts/give forecast updates, as well as a few websites, the chances of thundery downpours on Sunday most definitely isn't 'only in the evening'. Sunday could see thundery downpours at any time from the early hours. However, with thundery downpours, they're not easy to predict accurately. It's absolutely possible that we could see rain before/during the race itself.

#71 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,875 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:59

Not sure what websites you've been checking, but with everything I've read from people who actually write forecasts/give forecast updates, as well as a few websites, the chances of thundery downpours on Sunday most definitely isn't 'only in the evening'. Sunday could see thundery downpours at any time from the early hours. However, with thundery downpours, they're not easy to predict accurately. It's absolutely possible that we could see rain before/during the race itself.

Well I've been checkin a few sites that predicted rain in the evening. After posting, I checked a few more and some of them actually say rain is possible during the day, so I guess it's about 50/50 for rain on raceday.

#72 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:59

hi
i already stay in budapest but the circuit is so far from the centre of the city, exist a bus or other for the travel to the circuit?

For some unknown reasons the only Friday ticket prizes are not available on internet. You should call +36 1 266-2040 (www.ostermann.hu) and they will answer to all of your questions related to GP tickets.

For more information: http://www.gptickets...ix/tickets.html

#73 sterla

sterla

• 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16

For some unknown reasons the only Friday ticket prizes are not available on internet. You should call +36 1 266-2040 (www.ostermann.hu) and they will answer to all of your questions related to GP tickets.

For more information: http://www.gptickets...ix/tickets.html

i think i will buy the ticket in the circuit
i live not far to monza and when i go in the friday of the grand prix i buy the tickets at the circuit

#74 eREr

eREr

• 476 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:21

i think i will buy the ticket in the circuit
i live not far to monza and when i go in the friday of the grand prix i buy the tickets at the circuit

This will work also here.

How to get there? http://hungaroring.h...n&id=0&sub_id=3

#75 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:32

On Saturday, at the beginning there may be thunderstorms on the northeast, then more storms on the northwest. A few hours of sunshine is expected everywhere. Stays the sultry weather with peak values of around 30 °C.

On Sunday there can be showers and thunderstorms across the country, at some places the temperature can reach 33-34 °C, then a cold front is expected to arrive on Monday, which can bring a more powerful cooling down by 5-10 °C for Tuesday.
(Source: idokep.hu, Hungarian weather forcast, translated by me)

#76 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 841 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:45

1. Räikkönen
2. Vettel
3. Schumacher

Alonso DNF

#77 Snic

Snic

• 564 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:37

"It's a circuit which holds a special memory for me because it was at the Hungaroring where I made my F1 grand prix debut in 2002. That was a real baptism of fire, turning up mid-season and driving a Minardi car that was a real handful. But looking back, I'm also aware that I probably didn't give the circuit the respect that I give it now and didn't fully appreciate that a driver really needs to be on the top of their game to do well here. That's probably why we quite often see such a big disparity between team-mates at the Hungaroring despite the lap itself being relatively short.

I'm a big fan. It's one of those circuits that you can get stuck in to and have a lot of fun in the car - which makes it very rewarding when you get it right. It almost feels in the car like you're driving a big go-kart track because of the way you have to flick the car around, attack the kerbs and feel the rear moving around. It's a very technical circuit, but also one that rewards precision and bravery"
Ant Davidson

http://www1.skysport...r-s-Eye-Hungary

Edited by Snic, 26 July 2012 - 12:38.

#78 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:44

Anyone know the press-conference line-up? A reminder that it's in 15 minutes for those who didn't know.

#79 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 13:19

hi

Hungaroring is certainly the best value for money you'll get anywhere. GA views are just awesome, but to pick one of those better spots you gotta be at the gates before 07:00 AM and as soon they are open, run like hell to your chosen spots. Last year, we decide on Friday evening that we are going to the race. We spent about 130 € for fuel (Zagreb - Budapest) and about 30€ for various tolls. As soon as we park our car in one of the parking lots around the track, there was this guy selling the tickets and we bought 3 from him for 50€ each (face value was 100€!). We bring the food and beers from home, but that lasted only till 05:00 PM Saturday. Beers around the track were from 2.5 to 4 €, so we choose to sit in the car and went to the nearest village, where we found the beers for 1€ and bought the couple of packs. Additional food as well. Parking was free, but it is usually closed during the night. With old-fashioned bribery (2 beers), the guard let us in and we slept in the car just beside expensive camping spots...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#80 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 15:20

Hungaroring is certainly the best value for money you'll get anywhere. GA views are just awesome, but to pick one of those better spots you gotta be at the gates before 07:00 AM and as soon they are open, run like hell to your chosen spots. Last year, we decide on Friday evening that we are going to the race. We spent about 130 € for fuel (Zagreb - Budapest) and about 30€ for various tolls. As soon as we park our car in one of the parking lots around the track, there was this guy selling the tickets and we bought 3 from him for 50€ each (face value was 100€!). We bring the food and beers from home, but that lasted only till 05:00 PM Saturday. Beers around the track were from 2.5 to 4 €, so we choose to sit in the car and went to the nearest village, where we found the beers for 1€ and bought the couple of packs. Additional food as well. Parking was free, but it is usually closed during the night. With old-fashioned bribery (2 beers), the guard let us in and we slept in the car just beside expensive camping spots...

Superb, absolutely superb :up:

#81 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 16:28

last year race was superb , it should be one heck of a race

#82 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 17:57

Posted Image

New hair for Vettel, looks fast.

#83 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,386 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:25

Another short cut for Vettel then.

#84 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:41

LOL :lol: :up:

#85 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:46

Great! :up:

um not really, Hungary GP is also know as a borefest.

edit: just realised Vettel actually dyes his her blond, hah never noticed that.

Edited by g1n, 26 July 2012 - 18:48.

#86 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:37

Does anyone know if there is a video of the Thursday press conference up anywhere?

#87 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,873 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:42

Latest weather is dry tomorrow with a low chance of light showers in the afternoon but likely after FP2 has done. Saturday is the same with a low risk of light rain in the afternoon. Sunday looks better than it did, as the rain is forecast to slide north, meaning Budapest misses the heaviest rain, but is still likely to get some rain, albeit not heavy and persistent. Obviously that can change, but that's how it stands at the moment.

#88 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:03

Does anyone know if there is a video of the Thursday press conference up anywhere?

Edited by MonacoMaster, 26 July 2012 - 20:04.

#89 sterla

sterla

• 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:12

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

really thanks
50€/100€ officially for friday or saturday?
in monza 2 years ago officially the prizes fpr friday was 35€, i see now and this year is 45€....

#90 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:48

really thanks
50€/100€ officially for friday or saturday?
in monza 2 years ago officially the prizes fpr friday was 35€, i see now and this year is 45€....

100€ was a price for general admission weekend ticket (Fri-Sun) last year. It's 90€ this year. We paid 50€ last year, but it was obviously a black market one.

#91 Zinc

Zinc

• 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:52

Those views are great but I prefer to get trackside and have my face blown off/hearing damaged, I'd hate to be that far away.

#92 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 1,935 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 22:02

Any of the top 5 teams who has their car hooked up this weekend are in with a big shout.Gone are the days of one team dominance..and rightly so. :up:

As for the Hungaroring being a bore-fest,that were during the days before internet chat forums! :p

Edited by Fatgadget, 26 July 2012 - 22:09.

#93 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 22:21

Thanks, shame that 90% of the questions were to Fernando! Felt a bit sorry for the guys at the back.

#94 pottiella

pottiella

• 342 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:37

:lol: genius

#95 Madera

Madera

• 368 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:47

Always loved this track. It is a beautiful place. Always an interesting result.
If I could, I would love to be there.

#96 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:01

Why does Narain act like a diva when he answers...

#97 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,386 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:16

Those views are great but I prefer to get trackside and have my face blown off/hearing damaged, I'd hate to be that far away.

For general admission, those are some fantastic views.

:wave:

#98 ferenc_k

ferenc_k

• 41 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:05

I was there on every race since 2005.
The weather is very sunny bright at the moment. no clud at all, just fantastic blue sky.

Posted Image

#99 Madera

Madera

• 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:54

For general admission, those are some fantastic views.

Hey Sean, hope you're waving from the track! :up: