Photo

Shelby King Cobra CM/5/64: Hoping to close the last remaining ownership gap

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 00:09

Hello. I am new to the Forum, having joined recently on the recommendations of Chuck Brandt and Bob Lee. I own one of the six Shelby Cooper Ford "King Cobras", CM/5/64. Chuck did a fantastic job documenting the car's history through the first four owners: SAI, FAV, James Brown and Fran Larkin. With Fran Larkin's help I was able to pick up the baton and identify the next two owners, Mark Scarano (Fran Larkin's mechanic, who rebuilt the engine but did not race the car) and Craig Smith (who raced the King Cobra in PHA hill climb events). I have spoken with Mr. Scarano to learn about his brief time with CM/5/64. I've also spoken to the PHA historian, Ron Mann, who provided me with Craig Smith's race record and several photos of him in the King Cobra. But neither of us has been able to locate Mr. Smith. It appears that Mr. Smith likely sold the car sometime after the 1971 season because, in 1972, he began racing Oscar Koveleski's old car. (Though the chassis were similar, the two bodies were quite distinct at this point as Mr. Larkin replaced the original Cooper/Shelby panels with a homemade fiberglass body after he damaged the front end in the late 60s. There are a number of other key details that distinguish the two cars, which I won't get into here for brevity.)

I also have a complete ownership record from 2012 back to 1979, when Wayne Lyndon of Roseville, CA owned the rolling chassis. I spoke with Mr. Lyndon recently. Unfortunately he can no longer remember who he purchased the car from. However, other documentation I have indicates that the car was purchased from Dick Johnson of Madison, WI. (FWIW, at one point during my conversation I asked Mr. Lyndon if he recalled someone named Dick Johnson. But I did not give him any context for the question as I did not want to bias his reply.)

I also have documents found in one of the boxes of spares which do indicate that that Dick Johnson owned CM/5/64 at one point during the 70s. One of the Johnson documents contains key details that apply only to CM5/64 (referring to unique modifications made both by SAI and later by Fran Larkin). Unfortunately the trail runs cold here too though because the address and phone number for Mr. Johnson's auto body shop (on the documents referred to above) now ring to a new business. The owners of the new business say that Dick Johnson auto body used to reside at their current location, but that Johnson's shop closed for business approximately 30 years ago.

The only other data point I have for CM/5/64 during the "mid 70s" period are two photos of the car competing at an autocross. Based on an analysis of the photo, I know that it was taken at an autocross event held at or near downtown Denver, likely close to where they hold the annual livestock show, sometime after Pepsi changed its logo in 1974. Thus, the photo must have been taken sometime between 1974 - 1979.

In short, what I'm hoping to find is some way to connect the dots between Craig Smith, Dick Johnson and Wayne Lyndon. I would like to be able to search the 1970s issues of SCCA's Sportscar magazines and Competition Press/Autoweek. Unfortunately the Sporscar Scan database I purchased only runs through 1970. And I don't have any of the old Autoweek/Competition press issues available. I would also think that some of the regional SCCA publications from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Denver might contains some clues. But I haven't found any source for those yet. If anyone has any of these old publications and is willing to take a look, I would be very grateful.

Likewise, if anyone has any other information that they think might help me tie out these last remaining details I'm all ears!

Thank you very much,

Donn Vickrey
Carlsbad, CA

Advertisement

#2 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:08

Craig Smith placed an ad in Competition Press, November 13, 1971, for "A S/R King Cobra". Address and phone number included, no picture. Have you seen that one?

I took a quick look in the 1972 stack, no luck so far. A car like that could be listed in the "Competition Cars" section, or the "Collectors Cars" section, or even in the "Sports & Imports" section, I suppose, so it takes some time to search. I have quite a number of CP&A issues from the Seventies, but not a totally complete set. I'll look a bit more this evening if I have time.

#3 USA Diligence

USA Diligence

• 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:25

Hi Donn,

Call me tomorrow and I can assist in finding Johnson and Smith for you. Besides Sports Car Scan, I am a private investigator and have been doing ownership chain searches for 20 years in the collector car industry...

Regards,

Chad Struer
(831) 277-1118

Hello. I am new to the Forum, having joined recently on the recommendations of Chuck Brandt and Bob Lee. I own one of the six Shelby Cooper Ford "King Cobras", CM/5/64. Chuck did a fantastic job documenting the car's history through the first four owners: SAI, FAV, James Brown and Fran Larkin. With Fran Larkin's help I was able to pick up the baton and identify the next two owners, Mark Scarano (Fran Larkin's mechanic, who rebuilt the engine but did not race the car) and Craig Smith (who raced the King Cobra in PHA hill climb events). I have spoken with Mr. Scarano to learn about his brief time with CM/5/64. I've also spoken to the PHA historian, Ron Mann, who provided me with Craig Smith's race record and several photos of him in the King Cobra. But neither of us has been able to locate Mr. Smith. It appears that Mr. Smith likely sold the car sometime after the 1971 season because, in 1972, he began racing Oscar Koveleski's old car. (Though the chassis were similar, the two bodies were quite distinct at this point as Mr. Larkin replaced the original Cooper/Shelby panels with a homemade fiberglass body after he damaged the front end in the late 60s. There are a number of other key details that distinguish the two cars, which I won't get into here for brevity.)

I also have a complete ownership record from 2012 back to 1979, when Wayne Lyndon of Roseville, CA owned the rolling chassis. I spoke with Mr. Lyndon recently. Unfortunately he can no longer remember who he purchased the car from. However, other documentation I have indicates that the car was purchased from Dick Johnson of Madison, WI. (FWIW, at one point during my conversation I asked Mr. Lyndon if he recalled someone named Dick Johnson. But I did not give him any context for the question as I did not want to bias his reply.)

I also have documents found in one of the boxes of spares which do indicate that that Dick Johnson owned CM/5/64 at one point during the 70s. One of the Johnson documents contains key details that apply only to CM5/64 (referring to unique modifications made both by SAI and later by Fran Larkin). Unfortunately the trail runs cold here too though because the address and phone number for Mr. Johnson's auto body shop (on the documents referred to above) now ring to a new business. The owners of the new business say that Dick Johnson auto body used to reside at their current location, but that Johnson's shop closed for business approximately 30 years ago.

The only other data point I have for CM/5/64 during the "mid 70s" period are two photos of the car competing at an autocross. Based on an analysis of the photo, I know that it was taken at an autocross event held at or near downtown Denver, likely close to where they hold the annual livestock show, sometime after Pepsi changed its logo in 1974. Thus, the photo must have been taken sometime between 1974 - 1979.

In short, what I'm hoping to find is some way to connect the dots between Craig Smith, Dick Johnson and Wayne Lyndon. I would like to be able to search the 1970s issues of SCCA's Sportscar magazines and Competition Press/Autoweek. Unfortunately the Sporscar Scan database I purchased only runs through 1970. And I don't have any of the old Autoweek/Competition press issues available. I would also think that some of the regional SCCA publications from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Denver might contains some clues. But I haven't found any source for those yet. If anyone has any of these old publications and is willing to take a look, I would be very grateful.

Likewise, if anyone has any other information that they think might help me tie out these last remaining details I'm all ears!

Thank you very much,

Donn Vickrey
Carlsbad, CA

#4 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 23:27

Craig Smith placed an ad in Competition Press, November 13, 1971, for "A S/R King Cobra". Address and phone number included, no picture. Have you seen that one?

I took a quick look in the 1972 stack, no luck so far. A car like that could be listed in the "Competition Cars" section, or the "Collectors Cars" section, or even in the "Sports & Imports" section, I suppose, so it takes some time to search. I have quite a number of CP&A issues from the Seventies, but not a totally complete set. I'll look a bit more this evening if I have time.

That's great. I do not have a copy of it, but I would love to get one! Thank you!

#5 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 23:36

JB,

The timing of that ad is exactly as I would have expected since that was about the time of his last race in the car, and he appears to have purchased Oscar's car to run in 1972. If there is any way you could get me a copy of that ad I would be very grateful!

If anyone find an ad placed by Dick Johnson or any race results for Mr. Johnson that would be really helpful. I suspect he is deceased. I believe that there is a race named after him (the "Dick Johnson Cup") in the Midwestern Council. It is a hunch not a fact at this point as I have not been able to verify that the race is in fact named after the same Dick Johnson that once owned my car.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Donn

#6 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:23

The ad in Autoweek, Nov 13 1971, reads;

"A S/R KING COBRA with .060 over 289 ford, Engle roller cam, 48mm Webers, Aeroquip, Colatti transmission. Trailer included. $2900. Craig Smith, Box 258, RD1, Robesonia, PA. 19551. (215)589-2170."

Will let you know if I find anything else.

#7 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:41

Awesome! Thank you very much!

#8 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:10

Chad Struer was able to find Dick Johnson in about 5 minutes... Wow! Thank you Chad.

I had a long discussion with Dick Johnson just now. He tells me he bought the car from Craig Smith in 1971. He also said he thinks "Craig Smith" may be a nom de guerre. When he went to pick up the King Cobra, "Craig Smith" met him outside of Robesonia in a horse and buggy. They then went back to where the car was stored in town to see it. When Dick asked "Craig" if he could start it up, Craig told him they'd have to tow the car out of town a few miles to start it as the noise was not allowed there. So they towed it, by horse, two miles outside of town. "Craig" then gave Dick a ride in the King Cobra.

Dick Johnson bought the King Cobra and transported it back to Madison, WI, where he raced it until 1976. He says he raced the car at Road America, Mid Ohio, Blackhawk Farms, "Winfield" (I may have heard this wrong) near St. Louis, Sebring (in 1973), and Road Atlanta. The car ran the number 85. It still wore it's fiberglass body that was installed by Fran Larkin after his shunt in 1969. The car was painted navy blue with gold lettering and yellow pin striping, in a Penske like scheme.

Dick sold the car to an autocrosser from Denver in 1976 (which explains the autocross photos I found in the box of spares). He said he did not get much information from the man. He said the guy showed up late at night with a truck, a trailer, a bunch of cash, and some guns and ammo. He paid for the car in cash and guns/ammo.

Anyone know an autocross driver from Denver who has a thing for cash, guns and ammo?

Thanks again Chad for finding Mr. Johnson so quickly!

-Donn

Edited by piloto26, 27 July 2012 - 22:02.

#9 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:11

One other important detail... Dick said that on his entries he always listed the car as a King Cobra (at least that's what he recalls). So I'm now on a quest for old race results from 1972 - 1976 listing Dick Johnson in a King Cobra.

#10 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 16:01

Dick Johnson bought the King Cobra and transported it back to Madison, WI, where he raced it until 1976. He says he raced the car at Road America, Mid Ohio, Blackhawk Farms, "Winfield" (I may have heard this wrong) near St. Louis, Sebring (in 1973), and Road Atlanta.

"Winfield" most likely is Wentzville, Missouri, where the old Mid-America Raceway was located.
Tom

#11 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 19:08

"Winfield" most likely is Wentzville, Missouri, where the old Mid-America Raceway was located.
Tom

Thank you Tom. That sounds more like it.

#12 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:29

Dick Johnson bought the King Cobra and transported it back to Madison, WI, where he raced it until 1976. He says he raced the car at Road America, Mid Ohio, Blackhawk Farms, "Winfield" (I may have heard this wrong) near St. Louis, Sebring (in 1973), and Road Atlanta.

You might find this useful:
http://www.oldracing...om/scca/tracks/

#13 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:29

Chad Streur came through again and was able to get me in touch with Craig Smith, who raced CM/5/64 in 1971. I had a long conversation with him which helped confirm several details. Craig Smith also owned and raced CM/4/64 for several years.

Thanks again Chad for your help this week!

Does anyone know where I might find old SCCA regional publications for the Northeast and Midwest?

#14 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:29

Does anyone know where I might find old SCCA regional publications for the Northeast and Midwest?

The Watkins Glen library has some Northeast ones but Central are proving very difficult to get hold of.

You may find this useful:
http://www.oldracing...magazines/scca/

#15 USA Diligence

USA Diligence

• 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 20:20

Glad to be of assistance!

Regards,

Chad

Chad Streur came through again and was able to get me in touch with Craig Smith, who raced CM/5/64 in 1971. I had a long conversation with him which helped confirm several details. Craig Smith also owned and raced CM/4/64 for several years.

Thanks again Chad for your help this week!

#16 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 21:04

Glad to be of assistance!

Regards,

Chad

I've only met one other person that was that good at finding people! My hat's off to you!

#17 piloto26

piloto26

• 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 21:06

The Watkins Glen library has some Northeast ones but Central are proving very difficult to get hold of.

You may find this useful:
http://www.oldracing...magazines/scca/

Thank you very much Allen. Does the Watkins Glen library have anything online, or does it require a visit to them in person?

#18 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 23:05

Does this photograph add anything to the story?

https://revslib.stan...log/jy956bn0384

RGDS RLT

#19 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:06

Does this photograph add anything to the story?

https://revslib.stan...log/jy956bn0384

RGDS RLT

The name on the side is Paul Canary.  Is this the 1968 Road America 500?  Tom?

http://www.racingspo...1968-07-28.html

I don't think it looks like the ex-Koveleski Cooper-Chev

http://www.racingspo...6-05-22-064.jpg

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 01 November 2015 - 06:09.

Advertisement

#20 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:13

Apparently, there is a race car restorer Paul Canary in Santa Paula, California who used to live in Janesville, Wisconsin.  Presumably the same guy.  Found this:

http://www.whitepage...aula-CA/2jc6qd4

Vince H.

#21 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 14:19

Paul Canary bought the Cooper-Chev that Skip Hudson had driven for Nickey Chevrolet in 1964. He raced it sporadically over the next several years, to no good effect. However, that car was Chevy powered, and was owned and raced by Nickey concurrent to the Shelby cars involvement. Hence. it appears to me that the Canary car is not the Cooper-Ford that is the subject of this thread and search.

Tom

#22 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 21:54

The autocross site in Denver was probably the parking lot of the Coliseum, just south of I-70 and east of I-25. I recall driving in autocrosses there in the 1970s, but I don't recall seeing this car. I have access to a set of Redline, the Colorado Region newsletter, but they are not handy, so I'll try to check later.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 01 November 2015 - 21:55.

#23 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:11

Paul Canary bought the Cooper-Chev that Skip Hudson had driven for Nickey Chevrolet in 1964. He raced it sporadically over the next several years, to no good effect. However, that car was Chevy powered, and was owned and raced by Nickey concurrent to the Shelby cars involvement. Hence. it appears to me that the Canary car is not the Cooper-Ford that is the subject of this thread and search.

Tom

So this one:

https://www.bonhams..../12172/lot/132/

I didn't realize that this was the same car that Rodger Ward had raced in 1963.

There are photos here of the wreckage of this car when Bob Holbert in the Lang Cooper spun into the pits at Kent in 1964.

https://www.flickr.c...157629745517155

Did George Wintersteen have this car, too?

Sorry to continue off topic, but I find this interesting.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 02 November 2015 - 04:26.

#24 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 14:47

Wintersteen had a different Cooper. He raced it at the same time that Hudson was racing this Cooper, viz, both were in the 1964 Meadowdale USRRC. Wintersteen's Cooper had been in the Mecom Team in 1963 and he bought if from them over the 63-64 winter.

Ward was the original driver of the Nickey Cooper in 1963, running a few races. Hudson then took over and ran the 1964 races that Nickey entered. I may be wrong here, but I do not think that Dan Blocker was ever associated with this car. His connection with Nickey did not come until sometime in the 1965 season. The old auction house ad muddies the history in this respect, most likely for price purposes.

I believe that John Masterson owned this car in the 1980s, perhaps early 1990s.

Tom

#25 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:41

Wintersteen had a different Cooper. He raced it at the same time that Hudson was racing this Cooper, viz, both were in the 1964 Meadowdale USRRC. Wintersteen's Cooper had been in the Mecom Team in 1963 and he bought if from them over the 63-64 winter.

Ward was the original driver of the Nickey Cooper in 1963, running a few races. Hudson then took over and ran the 1964 races that Nickey entered. I may be wrong here, but I do not think that Dan Blocker was ever associated with this car. His connection with Nickey did not come until sometime in the 1965 season. The old auction house ad muddies the history in this respect, most likely for price purposes.

I believe that John Masterson owned this car in the 1980s, perhaps early 1990s.

Tom

I can tell you about the Wintersteen car.    It was originally sold to Roger Penske,  Jack Deren helped prepare it.   It was for Penske to race while the Zerex Special was being rebuilt into a true 2 seater.   The race you see the most pictures of it is Nassau in '63 in the Mecom livery.    It went to Wintersteen was green and then White.   The White version had a large rectangular radiator opening and different looking tail.  The car was sold to Oscar Koveleski and Jack Deren again took care of it.   Oscar wrecked it badly in a hill climb ('67?) - Jack cut the frame up so no one would try to repair it.   The mechanical bits were moved over to CM/4/64 which Oscar bought from Shelby in the great garage sale.  Oscar raced CM/4/64 until he got his McLaren.  

Chuck 

#26 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 17:03

Here is Koveleski in the #64 Cooper-Chevrolet:

https://revslib.stan...tem/sy609xd5871

https://revslib.stan...log/rg322kb2516

https://revslib.stan...log/my888ym1675

https://revslib.stan...log/fw279kp7480

https://revslib.stan...log/jg505nj9211

Here are some fragments that may be of interest:

https://revslib.stan...tem/ps803kr9250

https://revslib.stan...tem/bv833mq7075

RGDS RLT

#27 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:14

#12 Cooper Monaco-Ford 4700 c.c., driver George Wintersteen, at Watkins Glen, 1964:

https://revslib.stan...log/bs797cx4681

https://revslib.stan...log/zt897yy6779

https://revslib.stan...log/ft095dj8049

Also the #96 Cooper-Cobra of Skip Scott, entered by Carroll Shelby, same meeting:

https://revslib.stan...log/pk271tz4928

https://revslib.stan...log/yy854dz6247

https://revslib.stan...log/yv457bv5131

https://revslib.stan...log/rp567ss1311

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 04 November 2015 - 11:51.

#28 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 13:03

Nice finds RLT!   

The Koveleski car you show is the Penske-Wintersteen-Koveleski one.   Clearly shows the rectangular radiator inlet I tried to describe from the second Wintersteen rebuild. 

The first "fragments" car is CM/3/64 - it was bright yellow. 

The second "fragments" car appears to be a Genie - at least it has Genie wheels

#12 is Wintersteen in green. 

#96 is CM/3/63 the same number it ran at Greenwood Roadway.  

Thanks, I will have to explore that archive more!! 

Chuck