* * * * * 1 votes

The modern Bathurst 12 hour

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#251 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,531 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:34

As if CAMS are going to do anything that V8Supercar doesn't want them to do...

Advertisement

#252 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:36

Yep, The tail really does wag the dog, and CAMS will use the excuse that it is not 2 major race meetings in the one state, as one is a test session. I stupidly believed CAMS had improved. :mad:

#253 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:10

Here is the promo YouTube video for the 2015 Bathurst 12 hour race.

#254 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 684 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:17

It's a shame FOM can't understand the notion of the appeal of a "curiously different" track in the modern era. 

I'm not suggesting we have loops ala a Hot Wheels track, but...  the over-under at Suzuka was thought of a lonnnng time ago, the dramatic banking of Monza, Avus, the exceedingly long Nordschleiffe, the streets of Monaco, the side of the hill at Interlagos...

Singapore stands alone in my mind among the new generation of tracks that has unique aspects and character.  The money that has been spent with Tilke and the best thing that can be thought up is the big hill at COTA is kind of sad.  China has the gargantuan space ship grand stands, the oddball first turn I guess...

... but Bathurst has two things:

1) the sensation that the cars are going somewhere...

2) ... and the amazing roller-coaster downhill: the track is having to conform to the terrain, the terrain hasn't been leveled/made to conform for the track.

Because of element #2, there is the clime of the cars conquering something.  That is what makes street circuits special: the circuit wasn't meant to be friendly to race cars, and offers weird challenges. 

If an engineering firm is going to be paid a large sum to design a track to be safe, it should also have to meet the goal of presenting a real challenge that meets the standards put forth by these classic tracks, or at least have a unifying unique character. 

It's funny that Hockenheim was made more "fan friendly" in being shortened to provide more laps, but ironically long laps didn't seem to impair the popularity of the Nordschleiffe or LaSarthe....

/ sorry for the tangent, would like to visit Bathurst one day