Photo

Members' sheds

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:17

And now for something dear to our hearts..............Sheds and what you do and keep in them.

I seem to recall we had a thread about 5 years ago ( but I cannot find it ) where many of you put up fascinating photos of your sheds containing all manor of motor racing related items/equipment/cars etc.
Time to revive certainly a great passion for many British blokes - and probably the world over.
Seeing this today reminded me of it

http://www.blenheimg...urope-car-life/ ..............I wish !

...then this is Jay Leno's idea of a shed as he said one wife and 150 cars .. and who would not do that if they could !

Edited by RTH, 26 July 2012 - 18:22.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:36

Team Tyrrell

#3 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:39

...then this is Jay Leno's idea of a shed as he said one wife and 150 cars .. and who would not do that if they could !

A man as wealthy as Jay must own Two Sheds, surely! :lol:

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:57

I think mine is probably X rated!

#5 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:42

GremShek???

#6 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,459 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:16

I've got a shed load of stuff in mine....

So much so, I need to shed some of it.

And some of it's been bashed about.

I thank you....

Edited by DogEarred, 27 July 2012 - 12:23.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:00

I have no shed now but this was in my shed in Wales at one point last year:

http://www.youtube.c...ObB9lD-xQea1xw=

Edited by Barry Boor, 27 July 2012 - 13:00.

#8 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:09

I've just realised that it's a single track track you have there

#9 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 14:32

I had a shed/summerhouse built a few years ago to house a slot car track.

It is cavity insulated and double glazed and with just a small heater is snug and warm in the harshest of winters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone who races at my track is provided with suitable reading matter for the coffee breaks.

My track is plastic at present but one day I will build the routed wooden track I keep promising myself.

David

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 18:26

I've just realised that it's a single track track you have there

It's Monaco - no overtaking is possible.

#11 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,728 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:40

Very impressed with your rendition of Clermont-Ferrand Barry !!

#12 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:22

I have the fondest of memories from visiting BB's shed that snowy day in November 2010. Barry was gracious enough to ensure that Stirl was leading Brabham at, what was the track du jour, Aintree?

Posted Image

#13 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:47

Here is my old shed.....
Posted Image

And the back of my new, improved, and greatly expanded (but still too small) shed.....
Posted Image

Cheers,
Kurt O

#14 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:30

Now there's something you don't see every day.......a Swallow Doretti. :up:

#15 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:42

Makes my place look pretty pathetic - great stuff Kurt.

#16 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:10

Nothing special about mine.

Posted Image

#17 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:35

We are going to need the whole story about that !

#18 Levin68

Levin68

• 58 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:39

Yes Too Tall, but what about the Norton??

#19 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 17:24

Yes Too Tall, but what about the Norton??

Still have the Norton, it was just not in the shot. Only thing I've disposed of is the kiddie pedal tractor since my son is now 21! Also still have the Byers racing body but it's now hanging from the ceiling over my Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) convertible.

Yes, I have it bad......

I'm still hoping/planning to come up with a slot car setup I can hoist up to the rafters when not in use.

Cheers,
Kurt O.

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 19:22

~

And the back of my new, improved, and greatly expanded (but still too small) shed.....
Posted Image

Cheers,
Kurt O

Can I ask how you got the lower TR in there? Did it go in before the upper half of the frame?
And how did you get the upper one in? There doesn't appear to be enough headroom for a forklift, but I could be mistaken.
Posted Image

Edited by D-Type, 28 July 2012 - 19:23.

#21 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:22

Obviously he stacked them up first, then built the shed. Question is, how will he get them down?... :D

#22 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:01

Can I ask how you got the lower TR in there? Did it go in before the upper half of the frame?
And how did you get the upper one in? There doesn't appear to be enough headroom for a forklift, but I could be mistaken.
Posted Image

Quite a triumph, I say. :blush:

#23 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:03

Posted Image

Not my shed, my son's. :well:

#24 dabeca

dabeca

• 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:09

not much else fits in my current shed with such a large rear end to deal with

Posted Image

#25 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:38

Posted Image

No forklift used, only an engine hoist (cherry picker in the US). I first placed sleepers on the floor and vertical posts bolted to the back wall. Placed the Doretti so the frame rests on the sleepers. Then placed the front posts and the next set of horizontal runners. The next car was lifted into place using the engine hoist. A TR has four mounting points for the body in the interior. I used those points and two lift chains and a load leveler and then just picked the car up and slid it into place. A TR minus engine, gearbox, interior and most everything else is maybe 1200 pounds. I then built up the structure around the second car the same as the first. The top car was a bit trickier as my hoist would not quite lift high enough. So, I built some runners that came straight out even with the top level but were attached with hinges. Those runners tilted down and were supported with some temporary legs. I built a cradle that would slide along the runners and set the car on the cradle using the hoist. I then used the hoist to lift up the front of the runners until they were parallel with the top of the rack and then used some cables and pulleys and a come-a-long to pull the car and cradle back onto the top shelf. I then unbolted the runners and stashed them. Everything is bolted together with structural screws and reinforcing plates and tied into the walls. The garage was built only three years ago and to the latest building codes which are pretty substantial as this is earthquake country.

I wanted to build a bigger garage, about 1200 sq ft, but my city codes wouldn't allow it. I was allowed 800 sq ft max so I had to get a little creative. My wife said I should just get rid of a couple cars but that made too much sense and we can't have that can we?

Cheers,
Kurt O.

#26 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:06

not much else fits in my current shed with such a large rear end to deal with

plus the car. :)

#27 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 18:25

No forklift used, only an engine hoist ~
~ but that made too much sense and we can't have that can we?

Cheers,
Kurt O.

That sounds fun!

Incidentally, this side of the pond a "cherry picker" is a hydraulic platform they use for servicing steet lights. I think your engine hoist is what we call an "Iron Fairy" - a fixed steel gallows on a motorised chassis with a chain block and tackle for lifting the engine with

#28 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 20:41

No forklift used, only an engine hoist ...
...I then unbolted the runners and stashed them. Everything is bolted together with structural screws and reinforcing plates and tied into the walls. The garage was built only three years ago and to the latest building codes which are pretty substantial as this is earthquake country.

Cheers,
Kurt O.

:eek:
Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to rebuild the two TRs and park them in the drive? :rotfl:

#29 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 20:56

Posted Image
Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to rebuild the two TRs and park them in the drive? Posted Image

Hasn't that already been answered? ;)

~ but that made too much sense and we can't have that can we?

Cheers,
Kurt O.

#30 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 21:16

Nothing special about mine.

Posted Image

Hey Wirra, I'd bin the old FIAT, they will never be worth Jack Squiddly. Are those cans of creosote ? Wish we could get that in the UK. H&S buggers have put an end to us using real chemicals.

#31 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:08

We are going to need the whole story about that !

Not much to tell really. It was built around 1950 and when we bought the property in '81 it was fitted out as a granny flat. I stripped out the appliances and the partition walls but left the kitchenette and shower

Hey Wirra, I'd bin the old FIAT, they will never be worth Jack Squiddly. Are those cans of creosote ? Wish we could get that in the UK. H&S buggers have put an end to us using real chemicals.

You're right about the old car... I'll have to get it towed away one day.

It's not creosote but just some coolant and oil containers as well as pool chemicals. I did use some creosote when we built an extension in the '80s so I probably have half a tin in one of the cupboards. Which reminds me, one feature of the shed is the high tech security I have on the wardrobes come storage cupboards - they can be seen in the photo below. I feel confident that anyone breaking into the shed will have trouble getting past this second line of defence.

Posted Image

#32 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:09

Not much to tell really. It was built around 1950 and when we bought the property in '81 it was fitted out as a granny flat. I stripped out the appliances and the partition walls but left the kitchenette and shower

Posted Image

Yes......not exactly what I had in mind !

What is the whole story about the Car ?

#33 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:18

Posted Image

Not my shed, my son's. :well:

So tell us about this .............MG Midget suspension, a Ford Cross flow ( dry sump rocker cover) , big carburetters so about 1800cc ? & ford gearbox a hefty looking rear axle with coil springs watts linkage & panhard rod ? and a big heavy gauge twin tube chassis that looks like it might go under a Cobra replica ?
What's the story ?

#34 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 20:29

Posted Image

So tell us about this .............MG Midget suspension, a Ford Cross flow ( dry sump rocker cover) , big carburetters so about 1800cc ? & ford gearbox a hefty looking rear axle with coil springs watts linkage & panhard rod ? and a big heavy gauge twin tube chassis that looks like it might go under a Cobra replica ?
What's the story ?

Correct on most counts, only 1300cc .The hefty looking axle is from under a 1200 Anglia Super.Twin tube chassis not big enough for a Cobra.Can you guess from the rear end?

#35 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 20:43

Turner?

#36 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 21:14

Turner?

Ten out of ten. :up:
Here it is under it's own power at Anglesey.

#37 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:12

A great thread thanks Rich, but aren't there some sad cases out there in Fantasyland!
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Is that rust under the Alfa's bumper?
Is the Pope a Catholic?
Posted Image

Projects, projects...

Posted Image
Hercus lathe, made in Adelaide and copied from US 9 inch South Bend. Once common in Australian schools.
Posted Image

Those bits of aluminium between the Maybach panel and the clock are from the ex-Tony Gaze HWM-Jag sports. I'm thinking if the car ever gets chopped up with an oxy torch and disposed of in the privacy of a stately English home I'll have the basis of an authentic and valuable reconstruction. In the meantime I try not to think about it and busy myself with other projects.
Collectors' Quiz; First to correctly identify the item hanging to the left of the grille wins a guided tour of my shed. Tea/coffee incl. Cryptic clue; It turns anti-clockwise and is associated with the grille.

#38 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:45

Some interesting stuff there, Rod. The Alfa engines should come in handy......even if you never use them. :lol:

Hope you didn't hurt a VW to get that trans. Same applies to the Carnaby's Black Cockatoos, that once wore those tail feathers.

What about showing some of your panel-work?

#39 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:15

Nice building Rod, big ,weather proof and maintenance free - super. I have a Southbend lathe of about the same size and it is remarkably similar, nice. Can't identify the casting hanging on the wall, -
Is the rear axle an Alfa piece also ?

Edited by RTH, 31 July 2012 - 06:17.

Advertisement

#40 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:24

When this thread begun I think there should have been a certain degree of clarification as to what constitutes a SHED and what is technically a GARAGE.

To me, anything that has doors big enough to pass a vehicle through is a garage, not a shed. :)

I'd like to see other people's opinion of where one ends and the other begins.

Mind you, there are some extremely interesting things in some of these 'sheds'.

#41 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:34

Anything from an 8x6 wooden garden shed up to an aircraft hanger , it is fascinating to see what other people have, workshops, equipment, storage, parts , cars, and crucially perhaps how long some of the items have been sitting there unmoved ! If it is work in progress ?? Great pictures so far.

#42 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:15

A shed by any other name would smell as sweet.

Hope there hasn't been a copyright infringement here. :blush:

#43 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:37

Some interesting stuff there, Rod. The Alfa engines should come in handy......even if you never use them. :lol:

Hope you didn't hurt a VW to get that trans. Same applies to the Carnaby's Black Cockatoos, that once wore those tail feathers.

What about showing some of your panel-work?

Ha Ha! Good one Greg. :lol: It's all good stuff as I frequently need to remind 'Her Indoors'. Re VW trans; Nah, the damage was already done. I bought it from a bloke who was wrecking a Type 3. Congrats! Carnabies' feathers well spotted. Mind you, some are probably Baudins'. We look after a few of each species which have permanent injuries. They're perfectly happy, just not 100% flyers. I haven't done much panel work so why would someone of your stature want to see it unless he's looking for another laugh?
Rich; That barn is not big enough. I have another shed and that suffers from the same problem. I'll wait to see if anyone recognises the grille. The axle near the motors is a Halibrand quick-change diff for a speedway midget.

#44 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05

Hi Rod .The grill looks like its from an old Midget speedway car.

#45 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:49

The 'Mystery item' could be a rear trailing arm mount for said Halibrand rear axle? They do turn anti-clockwise, don't they? :rolleyes:

#46 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:50

Hi Rod .The grill looks like its from an old Midget speedway car.

G'day Doug. :wave: You're spot on. I guess it was designed by Frank Kurtis himself. He certainly designed the rest of that classic car.

#47 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59

The 'Mystery item' could be a rear trailing arm mount for said Halibrand rear axle? They do turn anti-clockwise, don't they? :rolleyes:

Very well done Greg! :up: That bearing carrier is a Halibrand product too. But I said the clue was cryptic. I must confess it was a bit of a red herring as, being an oval track racer, the WHOLE CAR turns anti-clockwise but the carrier [ called a birdcage] doesn't actually turn at all. ;) When are you coming over for that cuppa?

#48 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:20

Your clue is what gave it away. When I said "they", it was the cars I had in mind. That cuppa sounds good......do I need to bring a hammer & dollies, or do you have a few? :lol:

#49 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:25

Your clue is what gave it away. When I said "they", it was the cars I had in mind. That cuppa sounds good......do I need to bring a hammer & dollies, or do you have a few? :lol:

Got plenty hammers but a few more 'dollies' by all means! :cool:

#50 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:31

Getting even more off-topic.....reminds me of a few years back, when I told my grand-daughter that I still had all my dollies. You should have seen the look I got! :lol: :lol: