Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#501 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:04

How many crashes Rossi had in the last 1,5 years? About 20 I guess. He had 3 just at Indy last year. Hayden even said in 2011 at Laguna that he saw Rossi nearly crash several times when he run behind him. So if Stoner said he hasn't pushed, that's not true.

Advertisement

#502 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:07

Rossi already commented on it, something like "My friend Casey always says the nicest things ha ha ha."

#503 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:52

Hahahahahaha, Casey, you legend. That was relentless.

#504 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:00

Liberty Racing to miss Moscow WSBK round, and to reorganise ahead of 2013 season.

That team is a mess, glad Guintoli found another home.

Edited by GSiebert, 16 August 2012 - 09:00.

#505 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:32

Not content with having a go at Rossi, Stoner has also put the boot into Marques and Bradl.
He really is a bitter, little man.

http://www.visordown...ttle/21185.html

#506 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:42

This is gold, comedy gold, I love this guy. I want him to continue riding, just to read his rants, this is great.

#507 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:46

"The amount of times that guy has had to eat his words is not funny, but people still forgive him for it."

"Waa, I won't go to Motegi!"

"I'm not quitting!"

He's an amazing rider but he's such an annoying person. I'll miss the rider when he's gone but I won't miss the person.

#508 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:00

"Waa, I won't go to Motegi!"

Well he wasn't the only one on that one :)

"I'm not quitting!"

He wanted to announce it himself, I guess you can understand he was denying it until that day.

Edited by GSiebert, 16 August 2012 - 10:00.

#509 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:52

I'll miss the rider when he's gone but I won't miss the person.

Same. At all.

#510 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:01

Well he wasn't the only one on that one :)

True, but if you're going to accuse someone of eating their words then you really ought not to do it yourself. :)

#511 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:25

Well that was a bit unnecessary from Stoner. Also, "the pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind. I'm just waiting if Rossi has anything to say about this little rant.

What can Rossi say, his tenure at Ducati was a failure whilst Stoner won races evey season he was at Ducati and stood head and shoulders above all the other Ducati riders

Not content with having a go at Rossi, Stoner has also put the boot into Marques and Bradl.
He really is a bitter, little man.

http://www.visordown...ttle/21185.html

He's just being honest, Marquez has never raced against the likes of himself, Lorenzo, Rossi or Pedrosa, the only comparison can be made with Bradl who he competed against and whilst doing a decent job in MotoGP clearly is not presently on the level of either Pedrosa or himself

#512 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,572 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:35

I detect no bitterness.

After all he won not only races but championships on a Ducati which Rossi looked like a mediocre rookie on. Then he went to Honda and won again.

I just see him as being completely honest, cutting the bullshit, and say what he thinks damn the consequences. Quite liberating from a sports person in these days so I welcome this and is sad he is leaving the sport.

Rossi is eating a lot of humble pie. He brought his superteam with him to Ducati, they promised to deliver success and had some digs at Stoner and then they failed completely two years in a row and now he's back as a number two at Yamaha. Maybe I'm bitter too ...

#513 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:50

The comments about Rossi is one thing I can understand but dislike, the attacks on Lorenzo, Marquez and Bradel are bad style imho.

#514 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:06

I just see him as being completely honest, cutting the bullshit, and say what he thinks damn the consequences. Quite liberating from a sports person in these days

The problem is that expressing what he thinks tends to show all his bitterness, his chip on his shoulder and his constant bad-mouthing and moaning. The only people who want to hear that stuff are Stoner fans and anti's of the people he's bad-mouthing. He comes off as a grumpy, cynical old man.

#515 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 13:51

I can't see a problem with racers saying what they think.

But, if their thinking is beset by the rider having a huge chip on their shoulder, it would probably be best to keep their thinking to themselves.

#516 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 14:51

The anti-PR, LOL. Makes Kimi look easy and lovable, hehe.
Too bad he's retiring.

#517 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:03

I guess he doesn't care about PR because he's retiring. :p

#518 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,116 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:17

What can Rossi say, his tenure at Ducati was a failure whilst Stoner won races evey season he was at Ducati and stood head and shoulders above all the other Ducati riders

So why did he leave then? Most of the things he's accusing Rossi of doing he's done himself. One thing I'll miss is his riding, watching him drift through a corner. His personality on the other hand, I won't miss.

#519 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:43

Jacque V Nakano for the 250cc title, Last race, Last Lap.
I was jumping around the sitting room at about 5am watching it.

http://www.dailymoti...p-250-oj-1_auto

TBH it was rather processional. Though if someone followed the championship it could be interesting (or nerve-wrecking if that someone supported one of the two riders). They were pushing like hell.

Advertisement

#520 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,405 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:41

I think the whole myth that lighter riders have an unfair advantage has gone out of control, myself. If Pedrosa was 10 kilos heavier and 6 inches taller I reckon he'd be a world champion by now.

Exactly, if only Scott Redding ate more ginsters pies he'd be killing the Moto2 field by now. :lol:

F=ma ? Not on this board. Screw Newton!

Mind you, they do call them aliens. Seems like Rossi has been having the anal probe for the last year or two and is fed up :)

Andy

#521 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,405 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:52

I detect no bitterness.

After all he won not only races but championships on a Ducati which Rossi looked like a mediocre rookie on. Then he went to Honda and won again.

I just see him as being completely honest, cutting the bullshit, and say what he thinks damn the consequences. Quite liberating from a sports person in these days so I welcome this and is sad he is leaving the sport.

Rossi is eating a lot of humble pie. He brought his superteam with him to Ducati, they promised to deliver success and had some digs at Stoner and then they failed completely two years in a row and now he's back as a number two at Yamaha. Maybe I'm bitter too ...

Hold on a second which championships did Stoner win on a Ducati? He actually only won one and that was with a far better engine and far better tyres than anyone else. Even Tony Elias could have won the title that year on that bike. :p

Seriously though he has been on a downward trend ever since 2007. If the bike was that good then he would not have left and gone to Honda would he. Nah he left it and went to a far better bike and guess what, gave eternal bridesmaid Pedrosa another bunch of flowers to catch. Not unsurprisingly as his talents were honed on the Ducati. I'd be interested to see what Stoner thought of todays Ducati, bet he would like it and actually be winning more races than in his last season with them. Interesting thought.

He has been by far the best rider on the Ducati though it has to be said. Still a moaner though. He moaned when he left Ducati and now he moans when he is leaving Honda. Is there anyone he is happy with? Very unprofessional. He's starting to remind more and more of that other precocious talent John Kocinski although I bet he doesn't do as much cleaning.

Now he was a good rider. Spent all his money on shake and vac though, very sad.

Andy

#522 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:56

So why did he leave then? Most of the things he's accusing Rossi of doing he's done himself. One thing I'll miss is his riding, watching him drift through a corner. His personality on the other hand, I won't miss.

Well as i said before it was said he saw Ducati as his family until the lack of support he received during his period of illness

#523 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:01

The anti-PR, LOL. Makes Kimi look easy and lovable, hehe.
Too bad he's retiring.

Kimi may not like doing PR or is not enthusiastic about it, but you will rarely hear him whine or say anything bad about others when he does go in PR-mode. Kimi gives nobody any reason to dislike him except for maybe his 'boringness'. Completely different from Stoner's 'blast away at everybody' mentality.

And what if a guy like Barbera was out there saying the stuff that Casey says? Would anybody pat him on the back? Maybe some, but I think a larger percentage of people would slam him for his unprofessionalism.

#524 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:02

Well as i said before it was said he saw Ducati as his family until the lack of support he received during his period of illness

Do you have any evidence that shows this lack of support? Or is it just some notion you made up that sounded plausible?

#525 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:00

Hold on a second which championships did Stoner win on a Ducati? He actually only won one and that was with a far better engine and far better tyres than anyone else. Even Tony Elias could have won the title that year on that bike. :p

Seriously though he has been on a downward trend ever since 2007. If the bike was that good then he would not have left and gone to Honda would he. Nah he left it and went to a far better bike and guess what, gave eternal bridesmaid Pedrosa another bunch of flowers to catch. Not unsurprisingly as his talents were honed on the Ducati. I'd be interested to see what Stoner thought of todays Ducati, bet he would like it and actually be winning more races than in his last season with them. Interesting thought.

He has been by far the best rider on the Ducati though it has to be said. Still a moaner though. He moaned when he left Ducati and now he moans when he is leaving Honda. Is there anyone he is happy with? Very unprofessional. He's starting to remind more and more of that other precocious talent John Kocinski although I bet he doesn't do as much cleaning.

Now he was a good rider. Spent all his money on shake and vac though, very sad.

Andy

I dont believe that Stoner is having a moan at Honda?

True there was a downward spiral but in 2007 he totally dominated with 10 wins, his teammate by the way finished 7th in the standings, but then you gloss over the fact he was in contention the following season and was level on points with Rossi with 7 races remaining. The next 2 races he lost the front end whilst leading then the title was basically gone, he collected 6 wins, his teammate finished 17th in the standings. In 2009 it could be argued if not for illness he would have been in contention again, he finished 4th in the standings despite missing 4 races, with 4 wins, his teammate Hayden finished 13th in the standings. Stoner averaged 17 points a race in the 13 races he competed in, with that average if he had completed the season he would only have finished 18 points behind champion Rossi, also bear in mind he competed in some of the races whilst ill. 2010 i will give you he was never in contention but he still managed 3 wins that season with a total of 9 podiums finishing 4th in the standings with his teammate Hayden 7th in the standings with one podium and 62 points behind Stoner. So to suggest Stoners only worthwhile season at Ducati was in 2007 because of a dominant bike which anyone could have won on is far far from the truth.

#526 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:29

Do you have any evidence that shows this lack of support? Or is it just some notion you made up that sounded plausible?

http://www.apshaltan...-ducati-motogp/

#527 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:49

So are we to believe actual quotes about the lack of development or Asphalt and Rubber's opinion that it was caused by the lactose intolerance?

#528 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 19:54

http://www.apshaltan...-ducati-motogp/

Can you do a little better than that?

#529 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:00

So are we to believe actual quotes about the lack of development or Asphalt and Rubber's opinion that it was caused by the lactose intolerance?

Its the first time today that ive read that article, i was looking for any articles to back up what i heard some 2 years ago now.

I wonder if you read Gardiner's article about Rossi's first test on the Ducati at the end of 2010, even though Rossi was only 15th fastest he reasoned with Hayden being 6th fastest that Rossi was just keeping his powder dry and come the first proper test in 2011 Rossi would be leading the timesheets. He's your resident expert on why Stoner really left Ducati.

#530 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:05

Can you do a little better than that?

No we'll just have to take Wayne Gardiner's expert opinion on it, no way can i actually remember where i first heard this with it being 2 years ago now but it would have been quite mainstream rather than having to google for articles

#531 Nova

Nova

• 7,080 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:08

Gardner fcs. The man is a legend. Wayne Gardner.

#532 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:09

Wayne's opinion? Did he tell Stoner to tell him those things?

We'll all forgive you if you want to quit grasping for straws and just admit that you had it wrong.

#533 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:16

Wayne's opinion? Did he tell Stoner to tell him those things?

We'll all forgive you if you want to quit grasping for straws and just admit that you had it wrong.

If you actually read the article i found it says the falling out with Ducati happened after Stoner's illness, this coupled with Ducati's loss of performance then led him to leaving

#534 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:25

With zero quotes or citations.

#535 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:29

With zero quotes or citations.

From Stoner?

#536 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:51

Ok another article to show the crap that was coming Stoner's way during his illness, and you think he was ok with this?

http://www.smh.com.a...3989991847.htmlsponsor demands casey stoner apology

#537 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:20

Cal Crutchlow ‏@calcrutchlow
Seriously though you can all stop asking about me riding the red bike …, it’s not avaliable to ride ! So I won’t be riding it …

#538 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:21

Paint it black!

#539 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:53

Jeremy Burgess has been with Rossi for 12 years and it looks like they'll be together for at least another 2. I believe other members of Rossi's team have been there a long time too.

Has Stoner got a similarly loyal crew? The reason I ask is because whenever I watch practice or qualifying, Stoner always (and I mean always) returns to the pits with a sour expression on his face. He never looks happy or satisfied in the slightest with his bike. Obviously we don't get to hear what he actually says to his team, but I know if I worked for the miserable sod, I'd soon be looking to get away.

Advertisement

#540 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:09

Seriously though you can all stop asking about me riding the red bike …, it’s not avaliable to ride ! So I won’t be riding it …

Poor Cal. His feelings are hurt

#541 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:11

I just hope he hasn't burnt any Tech 3 bridges or he might not have a top level ride at all for 2013. Although with both the Honda and Yamaha riders seemingly under contract until the end of 2014, looks like it might be a long wait for Cal. Still if Dovi can make the podium on the satellite bikes, there is no reason Cal can't make a good challenge even on the Tech 3 for a couple of years then take the factory Yamaha ride when Rossi retires.

#542 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:19

http://www.roadracin...amp;image=10144

Even more embarrassing than when Michael Jordan tried to make the switch.

#543 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 758 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:31

http://www.roadracin...amp;image=10144

Even more embarrassing than when Michael Jordan tried to make the switch.

:rotfl:

Took me a minute - thought it was a twelve year-old.

#544 woftam

woftam

• 1,074 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:50

Ok another article to show the crap that was coming Stoner's way during his illness, and you think he was ok with this?

Some people have selective memory loss I think. Nice get.

#545 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:57

Yes, an article from nearly a year before he signed with Honda. Still nothing linking the two.

Oddly enough David Emmett wrote an article today mentioning the bike as the reason for Casey leaving. Care to go and tell him about your take on it?

Some people suffer from wishful thinking.

#546 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:00

Some people have selective memory loss I think. Nice get.

Thank you

#547 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:08

Yes, an article from nearly a year before he signed with Honda. Still nothing linking the two.

Oddly enough David Emmett wrote an article today mentioning the bike as the reason for Casey leaving. Care to go and tell him about your take on it?

It proves my point that the milk had been soured at Ducati, of course ultimately he left because the bike had lost performance, but would he had stayed on if he had received more support during his illness, it was very much his team up until that point.

#548 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:28

whatever the case, i'm sure Ducati are regretting their actions from 2010. definitely has not gone to plan has it.

#549 woftam

woftam

• 1,074 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:37

You don't think being told to apologize because you missed 3 races with illness would bother him? That they didn't even believe he was sick? How would you handle that?
Or the fact they threw the kitchen sink at Lorenzo to replace him had any effect? He couldn't leave right then & there because he was contracted until the end of 2010
Of course riding a better bike is a massive factor,always will be, but there were many elements in play here. Not just one.
I think he still has a soft spot for most people @ Ducati. But I'm sure there are a few at the top & at Marlboro he wont miss at all.

#550 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:27

Also from the article:

Ducati team boss Livio Suppo has been supportive of Stoner and has dismissed the speculation as nonsense.

Man, I wouldn't be unhappy to see Cal at Tech 3 for a while. He could get his shot at a factory ride one day if he's patient and keeps competitive. He may not always bring in the top results race-in, race-out, but he's always relevant and exciting. You dont get many people nowadays coming from World Supersport and thinking they're gonna be a relevant rider in MotoGP. I really like how he's earned his way even through the likes of the other top British riders in the British and World SBK/SS series. He's talented. If he can mature a bit, he might possibly be the best of the non-aliens.