Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#701 Risil

Risil

• 13,968 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:20

Interesting development in the Aussie Superbike series: abandoning control tyre formula and instead allowing Moto3 style competition-with-price-caps. Sounds quite sensible, it'll be interesting to see how the rule works in practice.

If it can reduce the cost of (competitive) tyres and bring more sponsor participation at race events, then the rule will be a great example for other series to follow. It'd be applicable for more or less every bike series that's not MotoGP. Improvement to the quality of racing should be expected.

Advertisement

#702 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,907 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:28

So Dani is reaching his wins-per-season limit which is 2.5 , his all time record being 4 wins per season in 2010. 7 races left, hmm tough ask for Dani. :lol:

I think Lorenzo really deserves this year's title for being so consistent. 5 wins and 5 second places with 1 DNF.

Pedrosa has been just as consistent, but not as fast. So far, any of the three would be deserving, IMO, but Stoner is out of it with his wrecked ankle. It'd like it more if Dani won. The talent is obviously there, but he has never been able to put a whole season together without crashes and injuries.

#703 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:12

Interesting development in the Aussie Superbike series: abandoning control tyre formula and instead allowing Moto3 style competition-with-price-caps. Sounds quite sensible, it'll be interesting to see how the rule works in practice.

If it can reduce the cost of (competitive) tyres and bring more sponsor participation at race events, then the rule will be a great example for other series to follow. It'd be applicable for more or less every bike series that's not MotoGP. Improvement to the quality of racing should be expected.

This can only do some good to the ASBK, this series has been slowly dying in the last few years (sometimes not even 10 bikes on the grid this year).

#704 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 842 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:26

Hayden to miss Brno through injury.

http://www.nickyhayd...eturn-postponed

#705 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 297 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:35

I would be surprised to see Casey at Brno either.

I know he did well - considering - at Indy, but the way he pulled into his pit and dismounted after the race made me think that guy might not have the drive to perform short term when he could end up carrying a long-term injury. He's not going to win the Championship, he's out of here in a couple of months, he doesn't seem to be particularly happy, and taking those factors into account, I can't see (apart from sponsor pressure) where he will get his motivation.

I do think he'll be back for the end of the season alright, I just don't know if it will be this weekend at Brno.

#706 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:56

I would be surprised to see Casey at Brno either.

I know he did well - considering - at Indy, but the way he pulled into his pit and dismounted after the race made me think that guy might not have the drive to perform short term when he could end up carrying a long-term injury. He's not going to win the Championship, he's out of here in a couple of months, he doesn't seem to be particularly happy, and taking those factors into account, I can't see (apart from sponsor pressure) where he will get his motivation.

I do think he'll be back for the end of the season alright, I just don't know if it will be this weekend at Brno.

He'll be there.

And I doubt he's lacking in motivation either

#707 Rob

Rob

• 8,197 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 14:26

How far are we off of an open engine formula for Moto2?

#708 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 14:31

Last I heard it was postponed until at least 2014.

#709 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 15:08

I thought it had an open engine formula already.......
:rotfl:

#710 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,034 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:24

Pedrosa has been just as consistent, but not as fast. So far, any of the three would be deserving, IMO, but Stoner is out of it with his wrecked ankle. It'd like it more if Dani won. The talent is obviously there, but he has never been able to put a whole season together without crashes and injuries.

Pedrosa has always been fast, has always crashed too much but one thing is true, he does not have the x factor during championship fight, hope he does it this season. Lorenzo crashed a lot, then improved, so did Casey. But Dani has shown to be consistent in taking a fall when his chances are getting better.

Also he never had a season where he started off great and then crashes ruining his chances, only 2008 he had a great start. Maybe im having a short sighted view of his career since im viewing his career on wiki. But then having watched him for so many years in races, i feel he will again crash. He should take this opportunity and make best of it.

Edited by ViMaMo, 22 August 2012 - 03:30.

#711 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 376 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:54

Furusawa on the whole Ducati thing

http://motomatters.c...siting_ita.html

[on Yamaha's reaction to him when he asked them if he can proceed with providing assistance/consulting with Ducati]
MF: It was a typical Japanese one. They said ‘We cannot prevent you from doing what you will, but we expect you will do the right thing.’ It does not make sense to create friction between them, so I said ‘’OK, let’s forget it.’

It's like when your lady tells you "you can do whatever you want."

#712 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:53

Furusawa on the whole Ducati thing

http://motomatters.c...siting_ita.html

It's like when your lady tells you "you can do whatever you want."

Well that depends on the situation.................. :eek:

#713 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,416 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:12

It's a shame he decided not to assist them, once retired he should be able to do what he wanted. Yamaha top brass now have 2 instances of "bullying" staff and ex staff. Honda had poor man management skills with Rossi as well....

Dani is doing really well at the moment, wouldn't be suprised if he became champ now considering Stoners injury and Yamaha on the back tyre/foot.

I'd have to eat my hat then :D

Andy

#714 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:34

This can only do some good to the ASBK, this series has been slowly dying in the last few years (sometimes not even 10 bikes on the grid this year).

Its in a horrible way.Two series with Yamaha in one and the rest in the other.The ASBK series doesn't have a round in NSW (Sydney) which is just silly beyond words .Motorcycle racing here is suffering badly from personal feuds between promoters and its dragging the whole sport down the drain.Attendances are next to nil.Outside of family and friends at some events and we are talking national series events.Yamaha completely dominating one series and the other is no where due to no presence in NSW.All this crap is deeply effecting the once pretty good setup that guys like Doohan, Gardner ,Bayliss ,Corser etc competed in to show there stuff before moving over seas.

#715 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,034 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:04

Rossi, Ducati And Yamaha: And the winner

Some of the excerpts from the article:

Where Stoner had found a way to ride the Ducati - based on his blind faith in the front Bridgestone tire, a faith that was sorely tested in his final season with the Bologna factory, crashing frequently in the first half of the year - Rossi could not, and struggled badly.

With the exception of Stoner, every rider has underperformed, the only time Ducati having had any real success is once the factory switched to Bridgestone tires and had them custom built to their own spec. Those tires helped compensate for the Ducati's lack of front-end feel, giving their riders a fighting chance of competing. Once the spec tire was introduced, and Bridgestone had to build a tire that met everyone's requirements, Ducati lost out, and it showed in the results. After his first devastating championship win in 2007, Stoner won fewer and fewer races each season. In 2008, Bridgestone was building tires for Rossi's Yamaha as well as Stoner's Ducati, and the Australian started to suffer the first of what would be an ever-growing list of inexplicable front-end crashes. By 2010, his last season on the bike, and the second season of the spec Bridgestones, it took Stoner and his crew two-thirds of a season to find a setting for the bike that worked. The man who was once deemed invincible on the bike was going backwards, and had decided it was time to go.

The unwillingness to accept the need for change has been Ducati's biggest obstacle to progress. Though Casey Stoner continually asked for changes - one change in particular, which infuriatingly, the Australian refuses to reveal to this day - Ducati saw he was winning races and was in no rush to give in to his demands. Marco Melandri came and went, and his results were put down to a failure on the part of the Italian to adapt. When Rossi came, a man whose talent was above questions, acceptance was slow to come.

And now Ducati know that their design philosophy is wrong, from the Masao Furusawa interview

Two days later, Filippo took his chassis engineer with him and we spoke with once again in his home.

I asked him ‘Either way, it will be inevitable that you have to take responsibility. How come you have to take such a big risk?’ Filippo immediately answered with composure. ‘It doesn’t matter if I lose my position. I don’t care at all. All that I care is one thing; to make our bike better.’ When I heard his remarks I thought in my mind ‘Filippo, you have a real Samurai spirit…’

--------------------

How did Ducati with so much experience in WSBK and road bikes come to this? :eek: :eek:

Edited by ViMaMo, 22 August 2012 - 08:33.

#716 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:25

Im little shocked that this came out in the open like this interview. Puts Ducati in a bad state.

Rossi, Ducati And Yamaha: And the winner

Yes, a very surprisingly open interview. Almost only details left out is what he had for supper and evening/nightly entertainment on his semi vacation :p

#717 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,034 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:24

Looks like someone's hand was forced while a prime asset was protected due to the greater good of an organisation. Hmmm, never mind, im sometimes so illogical. *Slaps himself*

#718 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,194 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:05

He'll be there.

And I doubt he's lacking in motivation either

@motomatters: The Honda press release says Stoner is doubtful of being able to ride at Brno. Too many right handers. Will test fitness on Friday.

#719 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:35

@motomatters: The Honda press release says Stoner is doubtful of being able to ride at Brno. Too many right handers. Will test fitness on Friday.

Also

http://www.crash.net..._difficult.html

Advertisement

#720 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:49

Looks like someone's hand was forced while a prime asset was protected due to the greater good of an organisation. Hmmm, never mind, im sometimes so illogical. *Slaps himself*

Prezioso should fall on his own samurai sword. 6 seasons since the last dry win by someone other than Stoner and one win by someone else in 5 800cc years. Frankly a terrible rate of development. Last year they have 2.5 new chasis and this year they have by all accounts 1. While Yamaha and Honda are on 3 and 4 at this point of the season. Hopefully audi will streamline development for next year for Dovi and Nicky.

#721 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:27

WSBK is at Moscow this weekend. The track looks boring as hell, all corners look the same
http://www.crash.net...ow_raceway.html

#722 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:36

There aren't any landmarks to navigate by but they're hardly all the same. I like it, especially having a long back straight dump you into a tight final corner.

#723 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 15:43

Ultra official : Dovizioso at Ducati for 2 years.

Edited by GSiebert, 22 August 2012 - 15:44.

#724 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 16:02

Ultra official : Dovizioso at Ducati for 2 years.

They must have promised him an R8.

Really hope that Cal stays put at Tech3, at least then he shouldn't have too much trouble getting past Dovi next year. :stoned:

Edited by bigarthurisgod, 22 August 2012 - 16:22.

#725 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,907 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 16:16

looks ok to me http://en.wikipedia....rix_Circuit.svg

#726 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 18:33

Actually looks pretty good. Lots of quick corners, a few double apexers and a nice long back straight.

#727 manmower

manmower

• 365 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 20:03

Some riders' tweets (Laverty, Melandri, Baz,...) indicate they find it rather slow and tight. I know, "twatter" and everything, but just relaying what I read.

#728 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 20:20

Actually looks pretty good. Lots of quick corners, a few double apexers and a nice long back straight.

Why is that particularly a good thing? Long straights are boring; for example the straights in Korea and Aragon circuits are just stupidly long.

#729 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 20:21

I can see only 2 fast corners (5 and 6). Turns 8 through 14 are useless.

#730 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 23:56

I'd like to see Dovizioso do well on the Ducati but I struggle to fathom how he is going to get inside the championship top 5 (his Honda/Yamaha level) as long as they don't significantly improve until next season. With the possible exception of Lorenzo, only Stoner could get dry podiums on merit with that machine this year.

#731 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:38

agree, better than average F1 track

#732 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 655 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:50

kinda Fuji Speedway.

#733 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,416 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:21

I'm not convinced Dovi's style will suit the bike, mind you if they can develope it quickly then that might not matter.

Andy

#734 Rob

Rob

• 8,197 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:11

I wish Tilke would be a bit more varied. I'd love it if he were to suddenly come out with a track with mostly fast corners and fewer than 10 of them.

#735 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:37

Dovi has been confirmed as the replacement for Rossi at Ducati, he's got a 2 year deal.
That's him out of the way.

If Crutchlow has any sense he'll stay with the Tech3 Yamaha and keep piling in the top 6 positions for the next couple of years and then he stands a chance of getting Rossi's seat.
All he needs do is stop falling off and learn to overtake properly.

Edited by Tonka, 23 August 2012 - 10:37.

#736 carbuff

carbuff

• 315 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:24

If Crutchlow has any sense he'll stay with the Tech3 Yamaha and keep piling in the top 6 positions for the next couple of years and then he stands a chance of getting Rossi's seat.
All he needs do is stop falling off and learn to overtake properly.

And also keep his mouth shut :wave:

#737 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,194 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:41

@DennisNoyes: Stoner has reportedly flown home to Oz for surgery. So it is just Jorge and Dani now.

Edit:
@HRC_MotoGP: News: Casey will return to Australia tonight to have surgery on his damaged ankle. At this moment the recovery period is not known.

#738 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:49

I'd like to see Dovizioso do well on the Ducati but I struggle to fathom how he is going to get inside the championship top 5 (his Honda/Yamaha level) as long as they don't significantly improve until next season. With the possible exception of Lorenzo, only Stoner could get dry podiums on merit with that machine this year.

lol @ thinking ANYONE could get podiums on merit on the Ducati this year.

Are you seriously saying that if Stoner or Lorenzo were on the Ducati this season and Rossi was on their bike, they would be able to split the Pedrosa, Rossi, Stoner/Lorenzo trio on merit with no crashes?

On the Ducati?

Seriously?

#739 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:53

And also keep his mouth shut :wave:

That too.

Odd, how those riders will real, top of the tree, talent keep their traps shut, and that's before they get the top bikes. I've never heard the likes of Marques demanding he gets the best bike around. They get on with it and let the results do the talking.

I now expect a Spanish reader to pop up and tell us Marques is forever whinging in the Spanish press!

Edited by Tonka, 23 August 2012 - 11:55.

Advertisement

#740 KavB

KavB

• 1,098 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:57

Such a shame for Stoner's last season to effectively end like this. Would have been nice for him to retire as a champion.

#741 Risil

Risil

• 13,968 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:57

Rossi and Lorenzo were quite vocal while they were still on 250s, weren't they?

Of course it's one thing to go after other riders, but saying anything specific in the press about potential future employers isn't smart careerism.

Edited by Risil, 23 August 2012 - 11:59.

#742 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:11

@DennisNoyes: Stoner has reportedly flown home to Oz for surgery. So it is just Jorge and Dani now.

Edit:
@HRC_MotoGP: News: Casey will return to Australia tonight to have surgery on his damaged ankle. At this moment the recovery period is not known.

I hope we'll see him riding again at Philipp Island.

#743 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:51

That's really a shame for Stoner and the sport. It was building up to a nice finish to the season with some of his strongest tracks coming up.

Im just glad that Dani was in front of him in the championship before the crash. Else we would just hear about how Dani is only in contention because Stoner got injured.

#744 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 13:41

Why is that particularly a good thing? Long straights are boring; for example the straights in Korea and Aragon circuits are just stupidly long.

Balance. Means that everything isn't down to cornering speed and acceleration. Makes it hard to say that it'll suit any one bike.

I can see only 2 fast corners (5 and 6). Turns 8 through 14 are useless.

I suppose it might be because I tend to see tracks from an F1 perspective.

Also, I dont want to see Casey not on track or injured, but I'll be glad for him not to be World Champion. If he dislikes this sport so much that he's quitting it, why should I want to see him do well in it? :well:

#745 Trust

Trust

• 3,191 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 13:55

He likes the sport, he hates politics and ass-licking. Otherwise he would never sit on the bike.

#746 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 14:05

Will Stoner be replaced? If not then there'll be just 9 competitive Motogp bikes. :rolleyes:

#747 Rob

Rob

• 8,197 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 14:08

Elena Rosell is finally getting her Speed Up. This means that Moriwaki no longer has any bikes in Moto2.

#748 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 740 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 14:47

lol @ thinking ANYONE could get podiums on merit on the Ducati this year.

Are you seriously saying that if Stoner or Lorenzo were on the Ducati this season and Rossi was on their bike, they would be able to split the Pedrosa, Rossi, Stoner/Lorenzo trio on merit with no crashes?

On the Ducati?

Seriously?

Interesting stat. After barcelona in 2009 (which everyone remembers), Rossi, JLO and Stoner were tied on 106 points. Nicky had about 9 points. 9! Even when Stoner struggled in the first 2/3 of 2010, Nicky was usually 2 or 3, and often 4 or more positions behind him. We have no better measuring stick that Rossi and Stoner vs. Nicky, so it's safe to assume that Stoner would have done much better than the current ducati riders.

Now, why do you think it's such a stretch to think that Stoner would not have podiumed on this bike?

#749 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,890 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 14:48

MotoGP™ ‏@MotoGP
Both Yamaha Factory riders will get equal treatment and support but the development lead will go to Lorenzo, with Rossi in a supporting role

#750 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:21

He likes the sport, he hates politics and ass-licking. Otherwise he would never sit on the bike.

What politics and ass-licking in particular bothered him so much that he felt the need to quit at the top of his game in a championship-winning team? You think he's the only rider that doesn't like politics and stuff? Thats always been a part of this sport and most every top-tier sport be it football, baseball, F1, or whatever. Stoner has the convenient position of being a guy who doesn't have to be a part of all that stuff, though. He's good enough to where he'll always be desired in a top team and can just get on with doing his job and winning races. The guy has everything going for him, but he's still constantly cynical and unhappy with everything.

As for a replacement, if he's gonna be out for more than a race, dont they have to replace him? I'm guessing it'll just be some useless test rider again?