Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#1751 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:12

If they hadn't red-flagged it when they did, how fast Stoner was going wouldn't have been relevant 'cause they'd all have been drownded.

Lol. It was all down to tyre choice. Pedrosa had no problem at the front.

Advertisement

#1752 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:12

MotoGP needs a safety car

Don't you mean a safety boat ?

#1753 Andromeda

Andromeda

• 387 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:14

Race has been called off now :(

#1754 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 967 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:17

Lorenzo so lucky! Well done Dani!

#1755 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:19

How stupid are Dorna?

They run the races late so they can be transmitted at a 'reasonable' time in Europe, but as it's the monsoon season, there's every chance it'll rain and turn the GP into a joke. How much money was thrown down the road with the bikes that crashed today in avoidable accidents?

Someone ought to tell Dorna we've all got tv recorders and it's not necessary to get out of bed at sparrow fart to watch the races.

#1756 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,450 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:38

It would have wet no matter when they had it today and possibly red flagged as well.

#1757 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 967 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:44

And on another note, zip it Stoner.

#1758 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:51

And on another note, zip it Stoner.

What has *Wee* been saying this time ?

#1759 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:53

It would have wet no matter when they had it today and possibly red flagged as well.

Change the date then. Dorna are happy to fly back and forth from Europe to the US, no reason why they can't do the same with this GP.

Advertisement

#1760 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 371 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:58

What has *Wee* been saying this time ?

I think he was a bit cocky. He said something like the later condition suit him and if the race go to the end he could have a chance to win it. Don't quote me on that though.
Edit: I don't know if that is what PARAZAR meant by Stoner to zip it though.

Edited by Rurouni, 21 October 2012 - 10:02.

#1761 0thecougar

0thecougar

• 69 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:08

I think he was a bit cocky. He said something like the later condition suit him and if the race go to the end he could have a chance to win it. Don't quote me on that though.

Could you please lead me to the quote for the stoner comment?
I saw the after race interview and he seemed to mention more about how it was lucky he even entered the race and he's still not close to the front 2 riders?
Amazing that George didn't do a Marquez!!!
I wonder how much the race directors take note of the riders hand gestures?
Would Lorenzos pointing have made much of an impact?

#1762 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 967 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:12

Yup that's the one. I'll edit when I find the exact quote.

#1763 malibu

malibu

• 143 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:20

Once again Pedrosa is outstanding.
Last year, he was recovering from injury and by the middle of this season, with more confidence, he is showing his full potential.

#1764 0thecougar

0thecougar

• 69 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:23

I agree that Pedrosa is riding better than ever, more so than anyone could have predicted. But how much is due to the lack rivals and George being careful about the championship?

#1765 paulesko

paulesko

• 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:49

I agree that Pedrosa is riding better than ever, more so than anyone could have predicted. But how much is due to the lack rivals and George being careful about the championship?

Almost falling to the floor doesn´t seem too carefull to me, and Pedrosa was ahead of Stoner championship wise, before the australian got injured, so...

#1766 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 371 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:59

Could you please lead me to the quote for the stoner comment?
I saw the after race interview and he seemed to mention more about how it was lucky he even entered the race and he's still not close to the front 2 riders?
Amazing that George didn't do a Marquez!!!
I wonder how much the race directors take note of the riders hand gestures?
Would Lorenzos pointing have made much of an impact?

It's up on autosport now.

"Lap by lap I had more confidence to go harder, and heavy rain is my playground, I can normally find higher pace than everyone else.

"To be honest if the race went through to full distance I good chance of winning.

Actually hearing (and looking) it from Stoner mouth at the post race press conf, it sounded more cocky than only reading it.

#1767 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12

It's up on autosport now.

"Lap by lap I had more confidence to go harder, and heavy rain is my playground, I can normally find higher pace than everyone else.

"To be honest if the race went through to full distance I good chance of winning.

Actually hearing (and looking) it from Stoner mouth at the post race press conf, it sounded more cocky than only reading it.

The bits about him having a good chance of winning was a little off-putting.

But early in the PC, he was quite modest where he stated that he lacked the self confidence in the wet condition, and that was the reason why he could not follow the 2 leaders.

#1768 malibu

malibu

• 143 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:26

i really don't think jorge would have beaten pedrosa in all cases.

Because of many crash past seasons, Pedrosa chose to be conservative in the beginning of this season, maybe too much and that's what will probably cost him the title. To take an example, he clearly could have won the first gp but reacted too late. You often see that kind of behavior in all riders after a crash. The mind recovers later than the body (cf casey)

What we saw from Pedrosa today was impressive. After overtaking Jorge, in very difficult conditions, with all the pressure, he just seemed to have passed an additionnal gear, in a very agressive style.

Edited by malibu, 21 October 2012 - 11:35.

#1769 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,785 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:36

It's not really Pedrosa who upped his pace, but more Lorenzo who slowed down due to tire wear.

#1770 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,450 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:08

Either way, Pedrosa came through when it mattered and rode a flawless race, from tyre choice to the flag.

#1771 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,275 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:10

How stupid are Dorna?

They run the races late so they can be transmitted at a 'reasonable' time in Europe, but as it's the monsoon season, there's every chance it'll rain and turn the GP into a joke. How much money was thrown down the road with the bikes that crashed today in avoidable accidents?

Someone ought to tell Dorna we've all got tv recorders and it's not necessary to get out of bed at sparrow fart to watch the races.

F1 did the same thing and got burned badly also. It's just stupid and they should change it back to an earlier time because people who want to watch it will watch it even in europe. And if not they will record it and watch it when they come out of bed.

Stoner was really getting up to steam in the end and i don't think he was being cocky really he was going really fast, i understand why he took it a bit easier in the beginning with the injury he has it's not wise to go all out. Im actually pretty confident that Stoner can join upfront at PI now. Pedrosa again a great job and eating points away from Lorenzo, but i just can't see Lorenzo making a big mistake unless his engine goes boom maybe.

#1772 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:28

Cortese you arse!

Yeah, he could have stick with second. But I guess it's every riders right to fight for the win. A great few last laps, as usual.

Syahrin :clap:

I missed the MotoGP race though :| But a rerun is up I think.

Edited by DrProzac, 21 October 2012 - 12:34.

#1773 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 635 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:11

Great results for the Malaysian riders!

#1774 santori

santori

• 3,902 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:13

A slightly different topic, but does anyone know which of the riders speak Catalan as a home language?

Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Checa, Marquez, the Espargaro brothers, Vinales, Barbara, Elias, Olive etc. are all from areas where both Spanish and Catalan(/Valencian/Mallorcan) are widely spoken.

#1775 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:00

Posted Image

One bike length away from a home win!

#1776 chunder27

chunder27

• 449 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:02

Especially when Cortese didnt need to win! Shame as it would have been great.

I eat my words, I thought Fami would fall away, but he was right there til the end.

#1777 DS27

DS27

• 819 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:09

mmm, can't blame him for winning , I suppose...but i'm finding Cortese quite unlikeable for one reason or another.

Great rides by the home riders.

#1778 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,851 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:13

I'm no fan of Cortese either but you can't take his title away from him. I think he should enjoy this season whilst it lasts as it won't get any easier than this.

It's never easy but Vinales and his team have done him a few favours as has his relative level of experience. He isn't the next big thing.

Edited by Disgrace, 21 October 2012 - 19:14.

#1779 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:25

Jorge is definitely taking it easy and just managing the championship.

Advertisement

#1780 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,377 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:26

I'm no fan of Cortese either but you can't take his title away from him. I think he should enjoy this season whilst it lasts as it won't get any easier than this.

It's never easy but Vinales and his team have done him a few favours as has his relative level of experience. He isn't the next big thing.

Vinales has been by far the best Honda-powered rider and I have no doubt that if he were on a factory KTM he would've won the championship.

#1781 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:02

Vinales has been by far the best Honda-powered rider and I have no doubt that if he were on a factory KTM he would've won the championship.

But he wasn't on a factory ktm, and now he isn't on a Honda either.

And anyway, when did Honda start making 2nd rate motorcycles?

#1782 sesku

sesku

• 280 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:28

Some one should sign the wildcard rider Hafizh Syahrin #86 for next season moto2. Damn good result for a wildcard rider in his 2nd moto2 race.

Great race for Zulfahmi. I think he said there was a team order to let Cortese win. Congrat to Sandro Cortese!

Edited by sesku, 21 October 2012 - 21:31.

#1783 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 22:52

:up: :up: I hope this is the start of something big. Maybe Malaysian motorcycle racing's "Nobby Ueda moment".

#1784 chunder27

chunder27

• 449 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:02

Lol, OK lets get some perspective. Fami is on the same bike as Cortese, and has promise, though hardly threatened the podium, but he is young and well backed and will get better! THe other lad is on home ground on a track he knows very well, so lets see what he goes like at Assen or Silverstone eh!

Its like the wild cards in Japan or France or Spain for years, they flatter to deceive when they get on the main series. But lets hope theya re going to do well, certainly the 2 lad is 6th in Spain now so must be decent.

As for Vinales he would certainly be doing better on a KTM, the AJO bikes have been quickest on straights all year, Mav has been strugling, I also htink he is growing superfaat so this might be an excuse to go straight to Moto2, he looks to big for a 3, like Kent who has made a smart move moving up.

The Honda 250 engine is inferiior, but maybe at a twisty track can still compete, watching the KTM's right now against everyone is like watching Terol on the rocket Aprilia last year against everyone, rather embarassing!

#1785 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,377 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:57

But he wasn't on a factory ktm, and now he isn't on a Honda either.

And anyway, when did Honda start making 2nd rate motorcycles?

Notice how I said Honda-powered. He was riding a Suter chassis with a Honda engine, an engine with a clear performance deficit to the KTM.

#1786 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 635 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:17

:up: :up: I hope this is the start of something big. Maybe Malaysian motorcycle racing's "Nobby Ueda moment".

Yep. I really hope those young riders who compete in local races to step-up and compete in Europe and matching these guys achievement.

#1787 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,525 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:14

Posted Image

One bike length away from a home win!

I'm confused by the photo. One bike is squeezed in vertical plane and the other is squeezed in the horizontal - look at the shapes of the wheels of the two bikes, it has to be a composite.

#1788 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,525 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:24

The usual Stoner haters trying to make Casey look bad, it's expected along with the excuses for Rossi's poor performances. (Are they connected?!)
It's unfortunate the race had to end there and then but rain of that magnitude is always a distinct possibility in Malaysia. The officials did everything right I think. As for timing of event, I agree with those who say that TV audiences should get used to taking races when they are on offer or use the record button. Southern hemisphere viewers watch MotoGP in the early hours of Monday morning throughout the European rounds.
Also a mention for Ant West who continues to show his ability on a rubbish bike in the wet, great ride!

Edited by Muz Bee, 22 October 2012 - 09:28.

#1789 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,450 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:42

What is it between Ian Wheeler and Ant West? There always seems to be something hanging in the air when they meet for interviews.

#1790 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:51

What is it between Ian Wheeler and Ant West? There always seems to be something hanging in the air when they meet for interviews.

Ian Wheeler used to be the Kawasaki team's press officer before the manufacturer pulled out, if that's any help.

#1791 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:56

Lol, OK lets get some perspective. Fami is on the same bike as Cortese, and has promise, though hardly threatened the podium, but he is young and well backed and will get better! THe other lad is on home ground on a track he knows very well, so lets see what he goes like at Assen or Silverstone eh!

Its like the wild cards in Japan or France or Spain for years, they flatter to deceive when they get on the main series. But lets hope theya re going to do well, certainly the 2 lad is 6th in Spain now so must be decent.

As for Vinales he would certainly be doing better on a KTM, the AJO bikes have been quickest on straights all year, Mav has been strugling, I also htink he is growing superfaat so this might be an excuse to go straight to Moto2, he looks to big for a 3, like Kent who has made a smart move moving up.

The Honda 250 engine is inferiior, but maybe at a twisty track can still compete, watching the KTM's right now against everyone is like watching Terol on the rocket Aprilia last year against everyone, rather embarassing!

To give Fami his due, he was challenging for the podium regularly at the tail end of last year, he's just taken a while to get used to 4 strokes.

The Moto2 chap has been racing well on moto2 bikes in the spanish CEV championship, but he definately had some local knowledge, his outside line through turn 5 was cracking :up:

#1792 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:45

Thought Gino Rea's was the ride of the day yesterday, just unlucky that the red flag wasn't delayed another minute or so.

#1793 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:36

http://www.motorcycl...r-philipisland/

:up:

#1794 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:36

I'm confused by the photo. One bike is squeezed in vertical plane and the other is squeezed in the horizontal - look at the shapes of the wheels of the two bikes, it has to be a composite.

I think that effect is caused by one or both of the bikes leaning.

#1795 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:41

http://www.motorcycl...r-philipisland/

:up:

Great. :up: Naming one of Philip Island's bends after Stoner is totally fitting and deserved. He'll have plenty of time to master it in one of those V8 trucks in future years.

Edited by Risil, 22 October 2012 - 13:41.

#1796 barnardferrari

barnardferrari

• 217 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 14:23

Finish line cameras are a special type of camera. It is a composite of sorts showing a narrow, fixed bit of space over elapsed time. They often appear distorted. Here are a couple of good articles on the subject:
http://www.howtospot...astic-athletes/
http://www.cabinetma...elden-adams.php

#1797 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,450 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 14:38

Come to think of it, I'm glad for the red flags controversies. The Motegi GP was so straightforward and boring that not even Marquez' charge in Moto2 was enough to generate significant debate and interest. It was almost as if nobody cared for the season anymore. Now at least things have got more edgy, like there's a real battle going on.

#1798 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 14:55

Indy: Pedrosa was completely dominant

Brno: Lorenzo anything but careful, still lost

Aragon: Pedrosa passes Lorenzo who almost crashes trying to keep up, no question who was better there.

Motegi: Lorenzo keeps a great pace as usual from the start trying to go away, when Pedrosa passes he's able to go at an even faster pace while pulling away from him

Sepang: Lorenzo almost crashes as he's about to get overtaken by Stoner

Stoner was 9 points behind Pedrosa in the championship when he crashed (although Pedrosa was ahead in 2011 as well when he crashed).

I'd say he's just beating the field on pure pace, Lorenzo doesn't have an answer atm, he doesn't need to really.

#1799 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,785 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 15:24

Turn 3 at Phillip Island will be renamed after Stoner this week. That's the best corner they could chose. :cool:

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=Yw24pY6ScNA

Edited by GSiebert, 22 October 2012 - 15:25.

Advertisement

#1800 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 16:06

Come to think of it, I'm glad for the red flags controversies. The Motegi GP was so straightforward and boring that not even Marquez' charge in Moto2 was enough to generate significant debate and interest. It was almost as if nobody cared for the season anymore. Now at least things have got more edgy, like there's a real battle going on.

What? The Moto2 and 3 races were exciting and held my interest no problem. If only for the frantic racking of brain to find an answer to the question "Who is Hafizh Syahrin?" Big class as always a different story, although the tyre/rain issue made it absorbing enough.

Now if the Autosport.com bike thread has died on its arse and it only attracts a lot of comment when Rossi crashes into Stoner, then that's a different matter.

Edited by Risil, 22 October 2012 - 16:07.