Posted 22 October 2012 - 16:10

http://www.motorcycl...r-philipisland/

Just a wee corner is it ?

Advertisement

#1802 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 17:18

Spies has hurt his shoulder, broke a rib and bruised his lung ... not his year.

#1803 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 17:34

Or maybe he and Yamaha have had enough?

#1804 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 17:55

Is rather odd how Spies has utterly failed to deliver this year, he was fairly consistent the last two years, but this year has been a shocker!

Wondering if its coz they have done a Biaggi and built the bike solely for Lorenzo as they did with Max in 2002! Hope this means Valentino can ride it too, or this next two years might be very tough for Vale, but I imagine he still holds a lot of weight within Yamaha and might be ablke to sort that out! He did win them countless titles after all!

#1805 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:41

@motomatters: Catalunya Radio reporting that Maverick Vinales will travel to Australia with his new lawyer, and race at PI. http://t.co/PHvWPd82

#1806 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:02

Wondering if its coz they have done a Biaggi and built the bike solely for Lorenzo as they did with Max in 2002!

Dovi and Cal seem to be doing OK on it.

#1807 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:56

Is rather odd how Spies has utterly failed to deliver this year, he was fairly consistent the last two years, but this year has been a shocker!

Wondering if its coz they have done a Biaggi and built the bike solely for Lorenzo as they did with Max in 2002! Hope this means Valentino can ride it too, or this next two years might be very tough for Vale, but I imagine he still holds a lot of weight within Yamaha and might be ablke to sort that out! He did win them countless titles after all!

In 2010 at Tech 3, he was about where we expected him to be, but 2011 he hardly improved despite being in the factory team and Lin Jarvis was very critical of his performances.

This year I attribute his struggles to not being able to adapt, he's still trying to ride the M1 like a superbike and it's just not working. His crash at Motegi in qualifying highlighted this problem well.

#1808 prty

prty

• 5,219 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:20

Posted Image

#1809 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:22

Yeah they had to stop the race there, he needed clean leathers

#1810 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:40

Posted Image

Considering George isn't a "dangler" he did well to get his foot down and save that. He has the reactions of a cat no less.

#1811 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 14:42

Its baffling how bad he's been. Seriously baffling. All the things he was known for:

- Never crashing
- Fantastic overtaker
- Great race pace

he's been absolutely crap at. I'm pretty sure he's crashed more this year than he has in the previous 5-6 years of his career combined.

#1812 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:36

from MotoGP twitter

ViƱales @maverickmack25 to race in Philip Island after apologizing for his behaviour #MotoGP

Edited by sesku, 23 October 2012 - 15:39.

#1813 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:45

He must have realized he was fcked if he just stomped away.

#1814 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 647 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:51

During the Indy MotoGP race weekend I think, Scott Russell said he talked to Ben and, he told Russell that he was basicly a test/development rider for Lorenzo and Yamaha. That may explain many things about Spies depature. I'm not making excuses for BS but, he's had a disapointing season. Maybe a year with the Ducati junior team and a Suzuki return in '14 may bring Benny back to relavance.

#1815 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 16:50

He must have realized he was fcked if he just stomped away.

It can't be too good for his future employability though. I suppose at 17 he should be more readily forgiven.

Edited by Disgrace, 23 October 2012 - 16:52.

#1816 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:38

During the Indy MotoGP race weekend I think, Scott Russell said he talked to Ben and, he told Russell that he was basicly a test/development rider for Lorenzo and Yamaha. That may explain many things about Spies depature. I'm not making excuses for BS but, he's had a disapointing season. Maybe a year with the Ducati junior team and a Suzuki return in '14 may bring Benny back to relavance.

If Ben actually wanted better treatment, maybe he should've been more competitive. Let's not forget the Rossi-Edwards years.

#1817 Risil

Risil

• 14,455 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:57

If Ben actually wanted better treatment, maybe he should've been more competitive. Let's not forget the Rossi-Edwards years.

:confused:

#1818 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 18:23

Edwards was around then because of two reasons, he was never quicker than Valentino, and he fif a lot of work for Michelin, work which benefotted him and Valentino! And Yamaha!

I seriously doubt Spies has just been told to tool round and develop parts for Jorge! Why on earth would a manufacturer do that? Ben is a proven front runner in 3 championships yet this year has been found wanting after two decent years and a GP win, no different to Dovi who has only one win remember.

And for the klutz who compared Max's bike or 2003 to the modern Yamaha's, well that comment deserves only one retort. You know nothing about what you are talking about, those bikes had no TC, different tyres, very little braking technology, max fuel. So please, think a bit eh

#1819 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:54

During the Indy MotoGP race weekend I think, Scott Russell said he talked to Ben and, he told Russell that he was basicly a test/development rider for Lorenzo and Yamaha. That may explain many things about Spies depature.

Do you have any proof of this at all?

If he did say this, which I doubt, he really is clutching at straws to try and make excuses for the worst season by a factory yamaha rider since...... well probably ever really!
His teammate looks like he's going to win the championship and he's lying 10th without even a rostrum - deserves a CRT and no more, regardless of what bad luck he's had.

Disclaimer: I am a Spies fan, albeit, a very disappointed one

Edited by kosmic33, 23 October 2012 - 19:54.

Advertisement

#1820 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:03

:confused:

I should emphasize that I don't believe for a second that Ben has ever been the de facto second rider at Yamaha bar results

#1821 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 647 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 00:10

[quote name='kosmic33' date='Oct 23 2012, 15:54' post='5986366']
Do you have any proof of this at all?

No I don't. Like I said I think it was Indy weekend when Russell said this on the SpeedTv's pre race show.I'm sure it's out there somewhere.I'm not making excuses for BS but, you gotta admit that if this is the case it makes sense that he would leave Yamaha with another year on his contract.
That doesn't discount his horrible showing this season. I realize if the bike somehow favored Loenzos setup it shouldn't have anything to do with Spies staying upright on it. Speed and tire management is another discusstion all together though.

#1822 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:04

Considering George isn't a "dangler" he did well to get his foot down and save that. He has the reactions of a cat no less.

Interesting that some folks feel bigger riders can easier save a bike in conditions like these... even with their bum off the seat, like J-Lo's was. :rolleyes:

I was happy they red flagged the race. Fingers crossed for J-Lo's second championship. As for Pedrosa, this and next year will prbably be his best chances. I think Marquez is the real deal.

#1823 Cesc

Cesc

• 940 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:39

Yeah they had to stop the race there, he needed clean leathers

:lol:

I wonder what would have happened if Jorge would have fallen in that curve. That would have probably been a championship shoot for Pedrosa.

Edited by Cesc, 24 October 2012 - 06:39.

#1824 Cesc

Cesc

• 940 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:42

It can't be too good for his future employability though. I suppose at 17 he should be more readily forgiven.

For what I could read/hear, the team is quite a familiar one, so he will be forgiven. Even in Saturday at Sepang, they said that his bike was there ready for him to ride.

#1825 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:17

I wonder what would have happened if Jorge would have fallen in that curve. That would have probably been a championship shoot for Pedrosa.

It would have made no difference, the red flag came out seconds later, and from the Moto2 race it seems race direction would go back to the last completed lap by the whole field. Not sure what the rules are, I assumed Rea had won it having crossed the line in first before they threw the red.

#1826 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:26

It would have made no difference, the red flag came out seconds later, and from the Moto2 race it seems race direction would go back to the last completed lap by the whole field. Not sure what the rules are, I assumed Rea had won it having crossed the line in first before they threw the red.

If Jorge had fallen he would have had 5 minutes from them showing the red flag to make it back to the pits in order to be classified

#1827 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:46

The Stoner effect : the number of tickets sold for the PI race has doubled since last year.

#1828 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:56

Werent they interested enough in seing him become champion again?

I read at a other BB there will be a big tribute to Barry Sheene at PI and that lots of people are going for it as well.

#1829 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:05

I thought that Rea had won it. A caption came up saying that they were going back to the start of the lap on which the red flag was called, at which point Rea was leading. Then a minute or so later, the caption went and was replaced by one saying they were going back another lap. This always confuses me. I can never remember what the rule is. I'm still not sure what it is.

Edited by Rob, 24 October 2012 - 09:05.

#1830 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:24

WFR has stopped his racing activities in BSB and British GT. Alex Lowes should announce today his team for next year.

#1831 Risil

Risil

• 14,455 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52

WFR has stopped his racing activities in BSB and British GT. Alex Lowes should announce today his team for next year.

:( Hope he and Westmoreland land on their feet. Promising riders both.

#1832 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,739 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:20

Lorenzo talks abt Stoner and some other stuff

http://www.abc.net.a...d-rider/4330938

found on twitter and thought i'll share..

#1833 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:30

Lowes in particular will have no problem finding a good ride. After a turbulent 2011, it was good to see what he could do given some stability.

Edited by Disgrace, 24 October 2012 - 10:31.

#1834 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:56

It's a shame really. They seemed quicker than the semi-works Samsung bikes.

#1835 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:56

Graeme Gowland wasn't half bad either.

#1836 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 15:12

Thanks for that,good interview with Jorge.

#1837 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 15:20

Just a wee corner is it ?

formular car drivers and bikers are in great majority shorties, anyway

How tall are you? :p

#1838 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 16:58

Its baffling how bad he's been. Seriously baffling. All the things he was known for:

- Never crashing
- Fantastic overtaker
- Great race pace

he's been absolutely crap at. I'm pretty sure he's crashed more this year than he has in the previous 5-6 years of his career combined.

If you factor in the number of parts/tire failures he's had, and the resulting over-riding from trying to compensate, it explains a fair bit. The bike has been junk.

#1839 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:06

The usual Stoner haters trying to make Casey look bad, it's expected along with the excuses for Rossi's poor performances. (Are they connected?!)
It's unfortunate the race had to end there and then but rain of that magnitude is always a distinct possibility in Malaysia. The officials did everything right I think. As for timing of event, I agree with those who say that TV audiences should get used to taking races when they are on offer or use the record button. Southern hemisphere viewers watch MotoGP in the early hours of Monday morning throughout the European rounds.
Also a mention for Ant West who continues to show his ability on a rubbish bike in the wet, great ride!

Ok, you're confused here.

There is nothing to do with that. South America is also on South hemisphere and they have timezones between CET and New York times.

Timezones are related to longetitude. Japan is on North Hemisphere but have similar timezones as Australia, New Zealand.

The thing you guys from Southern Hemisphere share is the climate season, ie, it's the opposite of Northern Hemispheres locations like Europe, North America(including Mexico), Most of Asia(if not all), Big part of Africa.

It's almost(well, only in 21 Dec) Summer in Australia, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa and etc. But it's almost (also 21 Dec) Winter in Europe, USA, Japan and etc.

In summary, when it's summer in northern hemisphere, it's winter in southern's. And when it's summer in southern hemisphere, it's winter on northern's

Sorry for the OT, guys

Advertisement

#1840 Risil

Risil

• 14,455 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:12

I think MB knows that. ;) But most MotoGP viewers in the southern hemisphere are from Oceania, aren't they? Possibly with a few South Africans and Argentinians, although there's pretty much no rider involvement from those nations.

#1841 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:16

Ok, you're confused here.

There is nothing to do with that. South America is also on South hemisphere and they have timezones between CET and New York times.

Timezones are related to longetitude. Japan is on North Hemisphere but have similar timezones as Australia, New Zealand.

The thing you guys from Southern Hemisphere share is the climate season, ie, it's the opposite of Northern Hemispheres locations like Europe, North America(including Mexico), Most of Asia(if not all), Big part of Africa.

It's almost(well, only in 21 Dec) Summer in Australia, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa and etc. But it's almost (also 21 Dec) Winter in Europe, USA, Japan and etc.

In summary, when it's summer in northern hemisphere, it's winter in southern's. And when it's summer in southern hemisphere, it's winter on northern's

Sorry for the OT, guys

This just reminded me of a Simpsons clasic:

Soo, PI this weekend. If Stoner is up to speed in practice I may even find some motivation to get up in the middle of the night to watch it.

#1842 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,493 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:33

Going to be very interesting if we see a stoner pedrosa battle at the end of the race.

#1843 0thecougar

0thecougar

• 71 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:27

Fingers crossed that Stoner is downplaying his chances on purpose.
Found good odds here in NZ for his win so threw $250 on it. $800 return.
(I know our dollar is barely worth the plastic it's printed on) ha!
Other's have any big predictions/bets?
Will Marquez be to careful and drop it again?
Will George seal the title with a race to go?

#1844 Risil

Risil

• 14,455 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:38

Gino Rea for the Moto2 win.

#1845 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:45

I think MB knows that.;) But most MotoGP viewers in the southern hemisphere are from Oceania, aren't they? Possibly with a few South Africans and Argentinians, although there's pretty much no rider involvement from those nations.

There is at least one in Brazil! -3 GMT! ;)

Edited by Atreiu, 24 October 2012 - 19:45.

#1846 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:45

Wet race and Zarco wins it in Moto2.

#1847 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:28

Nice.

#1848 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 668 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:20

Expect Vinales, Cortese, Salom, Folger and Zulfahmi to be the front runners again.

Stoner for win!

#1849 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:53

Turn three officially named Stoner Corner

Should imagine that Australia has many, many stoner corners............ :smoking:  ;)

#1850 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:55

Casey just interviewed on CH10, says his ankle has been getting worse since he's gotten back on the bike - needs proper rest to heal. Is only riding this weekend because it will be his last home GP.