Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#151 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:34

Except for the years when Hayden and spies (3 in a row) handed his ass to him :D

Yea, his toughest competition was Spies, who he could not match for the most part. Spies didn't hand him his ass though, it was close all 4 years. Really though, I always thought Mladin was overrated. Most of his competition was Duhmael, the Haydens and the Bostroms. I fail to see how this competition was any tougher than BSB, much less WSB (even in the lean Ducati years they still had Laconi, Hodgson, Toseland, Vermuleun, Haga, Xaus.. who were certainly better than their AMA counterparts).

Advertisement

#152 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,195 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:08

Mladin won more races than Spies over those 3 years. Mladin was also DQed at VIR one year for a rules violation on his bike while Spies on the same team bike wasn't checked.

#153 Risil

Risil

• 13,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:35

Some sports magazine did a list of the best paid Australian sportsmen, I think in 2008, and it was pretty amusing to see how much bigger a retainer Mladin commanded from Suzuki USA than Stoner got as a world champion. Mladin was good and let's not forget that when he did 500GP he got shafted as badly as (Aussie AMA phenom) Troy Corser would be a few years later.

Would've been cool to see him on a MotoGP Suzuki c.2002, but they already had their American(s). And the team's results were so bad in 2003 he'd probably have gotten Cagiva flashbacks. As usual in racing, fantasy outstrips opportunity. :|

Edited by Risil, 31 July 2012 - 02:37.

#154 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,917 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:36

Yeah, Mladin was just kind of the wrong age at the wrong time. There was nothing between him and Spies, he could have at least gone off and kicked some ass in WSBK even at the end of his career.

#155 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:58

Do you guys think Stoner is really going to SBK? Or is it just a far out rumor?

#156 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14

Never heard of that rumor, Casey being already against having MotoGP bikes closer to production bikes, I guess he probably isn't interested in riding superbikes. And if he was, he'd trash the field so bad, if wouldn't even be fun. :stoned:

#157 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:23

Do you guys think Stoner is really going to SBK? Or is it just a far out rumor?

He did say he was retiring from bike racing, didn't he?

#158 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 743 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 22:26

Stoner going to SBK is just silly, the main reason for his retirement is believed to be because he wants to spend time with his family - joining another world series is hardly going to help this.

On Cal in GP, I am a big fan, but he does seem overly content at the moment to sit behind Spies and Dovizioso.

#159 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 22:47

Seems to me that Cal is quick enough to tail Dovi (like the carrot in front of the donkey), but he's just not quick enough to get by him.

Chubby_Deuce -
You seem to be the AMA expert here, I've been wondering something. What is the bike difference between Daytona Sport Bike and AMA Supersport? I've never really followed either but I know it's a bunch of R6's and gsxr600's.. but the sportbikes seem to be quicker.

I'm trying to get into watching all the AMA races.. Josh Hayes doesn't make it easy on you to watch.

Advertisement

#160 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,917 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 23:34

There's really not a big difference in the bikes, just talent. When Joey Pascarella was bouncing around after winning the 200 and ended up on the SGA bike it was basically a Graves Supersport spec bike that he managed to put on the box at Sears Point. You can do a bit more to the engine and use aftermarket triple clamps but that's really it that I can think of. Sportbikes are still using OEM wheels even. It's a huge improvement from Formula Xtreme where only the factories could afford to build 130hp grenades.

Hayes makes it hard on race fans but as a racer I can sit through some of it simply to appreciate what the guy does. Nobody is as consistent as that guy, not even close. Not just in terms of results but putting the bike exactly where he wants it lap after lap, it's amazing. Even when Blake Young is a bit faster Josh can usually pick up a point for leading the most laps because he gets out front and goes while Blake is still working his way up to speed.

Watching Herrin mature and the EBR bikes gain speed is the most interesting part as far as racing goes. Herrin is performing like you'd expect if you watched him on a 600. As fast as the guy out front but always makes a mistake or two trying to run that pace.

#161 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 00:57

Seems to me that Cal is quick enough to tail Dovi (like the carrot in front of the donkey), but he's just not quick enough to get by him.

can't quite remember but didn't pedrosa also have a hard time getting past dovi quite often as well? Although maybe not as much as cal.

#162 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:56

can't quite remember but didn't pedrosa also have a hard time getting past dovi quite often as well? Although maybe not as much as cal.

im pretty sure pedrosa almost always finished in front of dovi when fully fit. they were only close in points last year due to his injuries.

#163 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:50

im pretty sure pedrosa almost always finished in front of dovi when fully fit. they were only close in points last year due to his injuries.

no I knew that, just meant regarding actually overtaking him wasn't that easy for him sometimes. Entirely possible I have my wires crossed there somewhere though!

#164 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:53

When the astute viewer is able to see Spies' accident looked very peculiar and the bike dragged out of the sand dragging it's ass - why do we need Nick Harris to commentate on what he and his dim mate can't discern? Something clearly went wrong, and the bike didn't "step out" as these commentators stated.

I just hate drone commentaries. That guy's been ordinary on the job for far too long.

Stunning cunning Stoner. He impresses me with the number of ways he can win a tight race. Anyone who thought that was just a straight line advantage type of overtake needs to take a look at how Casey had been positioning the bike on previous laps before he pulled the move, what a drive, what a race!

Edited by Muz Bee, 01 August 2012 - 05:01.

#165 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:23

no I knew that, just meant regarding actually overtaking him wasn't that easy for him sometimes. Entirely possible I have my wires crossed there somewhere though!

oh i see, then yes you're right, one of the best defensive riders in the paddock imo.

Edited by lbennie, 01 August 2012 - 05:40.

#166 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,917 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:27

When the astute viewer is able to see Spies' accident looked very peculiar and the bike dragged out of the sand dragging it's ass - why do we need Nick Harris to commentate on what he and his dim mate can't discern? Something clearly went wrong, and the bike didn't "step out" as these commentators stated.

Because most viewers aren't astute.

#167 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:20

Seems to me that Cal is quick enough to tail Dovi (like the carrot in front of the donkey), but he's just not quick enough to get by him

Dovi is really ultra consistent and makes no mistakes, plus he's a real demon on the brakes.

#168 Rob

Rob

• 8,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:58

Dovi is really ultra consistent and makes no mistakes, plus he's a real demon on the brakes.

I think the Yamaha suits him much more than the Honda did. Which is funny, as he'd been a Honda man his whole career up until this year.

#169 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:44

I think the Yamaha would suit anybody to be honnest. Even Spies. :p

#170 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 743 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 14:29

Looks like another rainy SBK meeting this weekend... I've not been to an all dry race event since the Silverstone MotoGP.

#171 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:05

Not a good news for Max then, he hasn't been very fast in the wet this year.

From a french magazine, Poncharal is in talks with de Puniet, in case both Crutchlow and Dovi were to leave the team next year.

#172 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:41

I think the Yamaha suits him much more than the Honda did. Which is funny, as he'd been a Honda man his whole career up until this year.

He went from finishing 4th on Hondas to finishing fourth on Yamahas :p

#173 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 21:36

Pedrosa has never been particularly strong on the brakes. From my memory I'd say he always preferred to slipstream his rivals. Given his weight and the general concept of the RCV that usually worked pretty well. Of course it gets difficult if the rival is on the same bike. Fortunately for Dani he is simply better than Dovi (and Cal), which is why he rarely got in a position behind Dovi in the first place...;)

#174 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 740 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:41

He went from finishing 4th on Hondas to finishing fourth on Yamahas :p

:lol:

True... I think Dovi showed his hand on that Honda. A clear step behind the aliens...

#175 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,541 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:48

Fortunately for Dani he is simply better than Cal

Based on what evidence?
The fact that he's beating him with a better bike?

#176 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,452 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:13

Based on what evidence?

Lets not Compare Cal to Dani. Someone who has impeccable credentials in the 250 class beating the likes of Stoner and Lorenzo to someone who replaced Spies and finished 4th. Everyone knew Pedrosa was someone who was up and coming and was regarded as the only rider capable to beat Rossi.

#177 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:56

Based on what evidence?

Cal is also getting beaten (if I were really generous I'd say matching at the most) by Dovi and we all know how Dovi fared when he was partnered with Pedrosa.

#178 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:30

Based on what evidence?

I like cal, he's one of my fav's, but he ain't no alien (yet).

I see him a bit like the webber of motogp. best of the rest - no bullshit, always gives 110% etc.

#179 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,917 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:55

http://www.gpone.com...-ma-e-Mary.html

Interesting. Ben's response:

@ellen_briggs if u only knew what really goes on behind closed doors u would have a diff opinion especially with your hundreds of followers

What a mess.

Advertisement

#180 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:56

whoa

now it's getting ugly...

#181 santori

santori

• 3,912 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:50

Dovizioso just said to italian television that it's unlikely for him to move to Yamaha factory team because "Rossi seems very close to it".

I don't think anyone's linked to this:

Ducatiblog:

'Jorge was all the time very nice to me in these difficult past years, from all the others he was the only one to show me respect, I can only thank him. The negotiations with Yamaha are very well advanced.'

Edited by santori, 02 August 2012 - 06:51.

#182 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,917 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:19

Autosport has a different quote:

In response to Jorge Lorenzo's comments that he deserved a competitive bike, Rossi added: "Jorge is among the few who have always shown respect towards me and I thank him for that. He is right: I, too, think I deserve a competitive bike."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/101683

#183 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:35

Stoner said in an interview that he might be back one day. :cool:

#184 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:07

http://www.gpone.com...-ma-e-Mary.html

Interesting. Ben's response:

What a mess.

Having your missus in the pits is one thing, but your mom?! That's just asking for sh!t. :lol: :drunk: :kiss:

#185 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:07

Having your missus in the pits is one thing, but your mom?! That's just asking for sh!t. :lol: :drunk: :kiss:

But his mom is also his manager if I recall.

#186 Rob

Rob

• 8,165 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:38

Jonas Folger is replacing Alberto Moncayo at Aspar in Moto3.

#187 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:07

But his mom is also his manager if I recall.

His mom wasn't very popular in the AMA paddock either.

#188 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 19:16

David Emmett ‏@motomatters
Italian paper Gazzetta dello Sport says Rossi close to 2-year Yamaha deal, then after to WSBK with Yamaha

What I find hard to believe about that is Yamaha going back to WSBK. Sportsbike sales in Europe don't justify their investment.

Valentino Rossi described WSBK as "Serie B" when asked about racing there. Maybe he might go as team manager.

Dennis Noyes ‏@DennisNoyes
@motomatters This could be part of a Mediaset Italia strategy...and it could be true. Paolo Gozzi is a long-time SBK journalist.

No question! RT @DennisNoyes: you think an SBK team with VR could come up with a sponsor that would cover that budget? I suspect so.

+

Guareschi: No Plan B
http://www.twowheels...alentino-leaves

Biaggi in MotoGP?
http://www.theracing...;idnotizia=2904
The article wrote if the Vale-Yamaga deal wil not done, Maxi might have the team mate of Lorenzo...

#189 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:20

How cool is that

Posted Image

#190 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:22

Haha amazing! :) Love how they portrait Cal crutchlow there fits perfectly. :)

#191 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 22:02

Biaggi in MotoGP?
http://www.theracing...;idnotizia=2904
The article wrote if the Vale-Yamaga deal wil not done, Maxi might have the team mate of Lorenzo...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :drunk:

#192 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 23:10

Autosport has a different quote:
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/101683

What a douche. He deserves a fast bike why exactly? He gave up like an immature little boy as soon as he faced some adversity in Ducati.

Stoner said in an interview that he might be back one day. :cool:

I think he'll probably do wild cards at PI and some other tracks he likes but that's it.

#193 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,818 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 00:12

Awesome poster!

#194 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 365 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:15

The Japanese channels/sponsors/stations like to do that. A few years back their intro for F1 were cartoonized versions of the drivers.

#195 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 740 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:09

What a douche. He deserves a fast bike why exactly? He gave up like an immature little boy as soon as he faced some adversity in Ducati.

Ducati won't listen to him and give him what he wants, like every other rider at Ducati. From all reports, Ducati's operation seems to be a clear step behind the others. How many chassis have honda come out with this year just to deal with chatter? He simply can't come to grips with the bike, and they can't fix it quickly enough, so what's the point? What would you do?

All things considered, only a fool would stay there hoping for things to change. Rossi is no fool. Tough decision, though. Go back to Yamaha and get beaten by Lorenzo or stay at Duc and get beaten by Nicky Hay..... er.... Never mind. :rotfl:

Edited by BMW4life, 03 August 2012 - 02:10.

#196 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,907 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:48

Posted Image

#197 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:07

How cool is that

Extremely. :up: Nicky.

#198 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:45

Posted Image

Suits him, doesn't it? :up: :up:

#199 DS27

DS27

• 1,010 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:06

That poster's so cool. No mistaking Cal :lol:
Poor Ben - doesn't even get included..

Nice to see Redding on a bike that doesn't look too small for him - fingers crossed for next year.

Edited by DS27, 03 August 2012 - 07:08.

Advertisement

#200 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:43

I think he'll probably do wild cards at PI and some other tracks he likes but that's it.

I don't know how he could do wild cards with the 4 bikes per manufacturer rule, unless he wants to ride a CRT. :stoned: