Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:53

yeah was a lot more interesting when rossi was winding him up though :lol:

Advertisement

#1952 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,874 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 18:58

Congratulations to Lorenzo, the deserved winner for me in an equal season with one DNF apiece (neither at fault) until Pedrosa fell off.

No classic championships battles in any category, and a particularly sad season of MotoGP. The future of Spies looks bleak, Rossi/Ducati has failed, Simoncelli still badly missed and Stoner retiring. Lorenzo deserves to win more epic titles.

#1953 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:02

- Widely known (now, anyway) that he uses the least electronics on the grid.

Its hard to compare with the other bikes, but at Honda last year, he was the one who used the least traction control (usually none, then more towards the end of the races). Dovi the most, and Dani somewhere in between. Nakamoto said Stoner's traction control is his right hand, and that Honda actually used Stoner's throttle input data to improve their traction control and engine power delivery.
I reckon Stoner would probably smoke the grid if electronics weren't there.

#1954 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:08

BREAKING!

Althea, Ducati 'split', future plans uncertain

Ducati insists it will continue in the World Superbike Championship next season despite ending its agreement with the Althea Racing team.

http://www.crash.net..._uncertain.html

Comments suggest Alstare or ParkinGO might become the new Duc factory team.

In an other place I read some speculations about a Checa-Guintoli pairing maybe with a full factory team with Tardozzi.

Let's just hope the full factory squad will return to the grid that would be great.

#1955 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:09

Precisely BMW. I couldn't have put it better. You can have a dislike of a rider for his personality or nationality or whatever, but the facts don't just state it, they SCREAM it!

The best of his generation, the first to burst the Rossi bubble of invincibility, the kid who could take a wild beast like the Ducati and sort of tame it.

The stats are impressive in such a short career but they don't even do justice to how good he is/was. Some of his comments at times could be taken as arrogance or bitterness but the self belief of the top guys makes this likely rather than modesty. When bitched about Rossi's motocross effort in the corkscrew back when he was making a call of dangerous aggression that has merit.

The term "alien" is comparatively recent one but their have always been groupings of such riders. Rossi arrived in MotoGP in a vacuum following the retirement of Doohan. Biaggi and Gibernau were merely supporting act riders, good not great. Doohan you have to remember for all his titles took quite a few years to overcome the greatest field of "aliens" of any era. Before that were Lawson v Spencer, Spencer v Roberts, Roberts v Sheene and Hailwood v Agostini.

Next year shapes as the two Spaniards as it's hard to see even Rossi being able to intervene. So really having "only" a dominant two isn't unusual.

Well done Casey, finishing strongly, retiring young and healthy. If ever there were a case for a comeback in MotoGP but somehow I doubt you will look back. You were in the thick of a good era in MotoGP and I agree that the future looks bleak with the sort of people running the sport. Some you have to blame on economics but they are driving the sport the wrong way.

#1956 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:12

To be fair, Doohan would've won a championship when the early 90s "aliens" were all racing if it wasn't for his huge crash.

#1957 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:34

To be fair, Doohan would've won a championship when the early 90s "aliens" were all racing if it wasn't for his huge crash.

That was 1992 right? Same year Rainey was injured numerous times also.

#1958 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:06

No respect to Mick, a terrific rider and no fan was more frustrated than me by his terrible injury. The point was, an "alien" in that group had no guarantee of even a podium on a good day. Next year I can see Lorenzo and Pedrosa trading 1sts and 2nds. Rossi, I feel, is past his best and will struggle against younger, hungrier riders. Marquez, for all the hype, will I expect take some time to adapt to a very different proposition to a "600 Honda in a race frame". The current crop of MotoGP riders have, with the exception of Crutchlow, learned their craft on 'proper' racebikes - 250GP. And that includes Moto2 champion Bradl.

#1959 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:39

Even if I'm one of 3 people who will miss Stoner, Stoner will be sorely missed. Pure, pure Genius! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Regards.

No, I will miss too.

Advertisement

#1960 chunder27

chunder27

• 925 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:22

THe modern era are not a patch on early 90's

Schwantz, LAwson, GArdner, Doohan, Rainey, Magee, Chandler, Kocinski. All could win races on their day, and for Wayne to win 3 title ina row on a bike that staggeringly low on power and grip at times proves he was and is the best ever to me

Mick would have won titles yes I agree, and his injury cost him loads, but that is stating the obvious, he couldnt beat Wayne in 91 or 93 when he was much fitter. And after that he never really had a rival,. Schwantz gave up halfway through 94 and Criville was basically a robot who stole all his settings coz Repsol let him!

Same as Valentino, I do thank VAle would be able to stand with the 90's guys though, he was playing most of the time until Jorge and Casey stepped up and never really had a rival, Sete was on and off and Biaggi was beat in the garage usually! But, he has shown his side now and but for this Ducati mess he would still be rated ahaed of most, but for me now he is behind Roberts, Rainey and Lawson, maybe even Stoner.

#1961 GX390

GX390

• 749 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:42

I'm really going to miss Stoner racing next season.

#1962 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 22:16

Its hard to compare with the other bikes, but at Honda last year, he was the one who used the least traction control (usually none, then more towards the end of the races). Dovi the most, and Dani somewhere in between. Nakamoto said Stoner's traction control is his right hand, and that Honda actually used Stoner's throttle input data to improve their traction control and engine power delivery.
I reckon Stoner would probably smoke the grid if electronics weren't there.

He'd be good, but with no traction control there are a few others who would emerge, like Nicky Hayden.

#1963 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 23:03

The phrase "poetry in motion" was invented for Casey in full flight. I think most fans will miss him. Okay, personality wise he's marmite (and I loathe marmite), but for me, his riding does the talking.

BTW, anyone watching Guy Martin's series "How Britain Worked"? I'll give him his due, he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty.

#1964 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 00:20

THe modern era are not a patch on early 90's

Schwantz, LAwson, GArdner, Doohan, Rainey, Magee, Chandler, Kocinski. All could win races on their day, and for Wayne to win 3 title ina row on a bike that staggeringly low on power and grip at times proves he was and is the best ever to me

Mick would have won titles yes I agree, and his injury cost him loads, but that is stating the obvious, he couldnt beat Wayne in 91 or 93 when he was much fitter. And after that he never really had a rival,. Schwantz gave up halfway through 94 and Criville was basically a robot who stole all his settings coz Repsol let him!

Same as Valentino, I do thank VAle would be able to stand with the 90's guys though, he was playing most of the time until Jorge and Casey stepped up and never really had a rival, Sete was on and off and Biaggi was beat in the garage usually! But, he has shown his side now and but for this Ducati mess he would still be rated ahaed of most, but for me now he is behind Roberts, Rainey and Lawson, maybe even Stoner.

I agree on much here and especially this part. For me I struggle to decide whether Rossi was on the downslide when Casey appeared and Jorge took control at Yamaha. You see he never beat anyone really good on the big bikes until he tangled with Casey who was arguably on the upslope of his career. It can't be doubted that he needs to be included in the top flight of champions. He did know how to close the deal, win in a variety of ways, and so on. Even if you hated his childish celebration games and churlish mind-games on his rivals, he was very good. Stoner on Ducati was the first test and back then everyone said it was the speed of the Ducati that won Casey the title, passage of time has softened that argument. The one on one at Yamaha with Jorge was the most revealing, Rossi now had serious, very serious rivals to being the best rider in the world. The unhappy visit to Ducati GP ended any (unlikely) question of his supremacy that may have existed as Hayden was closely matched.

I would put my own case for Rossi - peaked around 2003 - 2005, highlighted by his bringing Yamaha into winning proposition. Stoner emerged fully genius in 2007 and rode a fast but difficult Ducati and showed also that there are many ways to win a GP. Lorenzo with his immediate impact on MotGP would prove to be too much for an aging champion and at his third attempt he "stole" the crown from Rossi. Being the vain personality he was Vale decided would prove again his ability to rehabilitate a team struggling. This as it turned out, by 2012, undermined much of the glory of 7 championships at the top level. Stoner truly had been hampered badly by an uncompetitive Ducati from 2008 - 2010 and was the fastest rider of this era. Remember how badly Stoner used to dominate teammate Hayden and others?

So where to put Rossi in the cast of champions..... So difficult because clearly he was no mug at his peak but he had no yardstick to compete against - until we were able to place Lorenzo and Stoner in true perspective. Yes for me behind the Roberts, Rainey, Lawson group Stoner the enigma though, is not a rider to rack up the stats so we can just marvel at his incredible skill and speed. Having seen close up the greats of the 80s - 90s I reckon Stoner for skill and speed is also with them, and I suspect Rossi once was but definitely, visibly not today.

#1965 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,461 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:13

Call me a hater, but I'm not gonna miss Stoner. The sport is worse off without him, but the sport is already in shambles as it is. I at least enjoy Lorenzo. Rossi was fun to watch win as well. Anytime Pedrosa wins, I feel nothing. He's got the personality of a cinder block. Stoner winning made me grimace because of his inevitable moaning about something. One of the big things I liked about MotoGP compared to F1 is the personality the contestants have, but that feels like its gone now. Marquez definitely feels like a Pedrosa clone both in riding style and lifelessness. I hope Yamaha build a fantastic bike for next year simply so we can see some guys with personality rather than midget robots winning.

#1966 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,233 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:37

So where to put Rossi in the cast of champions..... So difficult because clearly he was no mug at his peak but he had no yardstick to compete against - until we were able to place Lorenzo and Stoner in true perspective. Yes for me behind the Roberts, Rainey, Lawson group Stoner the enigma though, is not a rider to rack up the stats so we can just marvel at his incredible skill and speed. Having seen close up the greats of the 80s - 90s I reckon Stoner for skill and speed is also with them, and I suspect Rossi once was but definitely, visibly not today.

Stoner reminds me most of Freddie Spencer. For a short period of time he was just the best rider, and he left people scratching their heads as to how he did it. Then, mysterious injuries set in and Freddie faded away.

#1967 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:18

Call me a hater, but I'm not gonna miss Stoner. The sport is worse off without him, but the sport is already in shambles as it is. I at least enjoy Lorenzo. Rossi was fun to watch win as well. Anytime Pedrosa wins, I feel nothing. He's got the personality of a cinder block. Stoner winning made me grimace because of his inevitable moaning about something. One of the big things I liked about MotoGP compared to F1 is the personality the contestants have, but that feels like its gone now. Marquez definitely feels like a Pedrosa clone both in riding style and lifelessness. I hope Yamaha build a fantastic bike for next year simply so we can see some guys with personality rather than midget robots winning.

I think you just don't like the guy because it's exactly the opposite for me. What is moaning to you is just telling it like it is for me. It's fine though, it'd be boring if we all liked the same riders/drivers wouldn't it? :)

I'm going to miss Stoner for sure. And next year I will be rooting for Marquez (I know you really dislike him too but i swear I'm not doing it on purpose to piss you off! :lol: )

#1968 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,461 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:24

it'd be boring if we all liked the same riders/drivers wouldn't it? :)

Would it? I think it'd be great. I dont actually like arguing with you guys. I just wanna high-five everyone and point hateful fingers at Stoner together. :p

#1969 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:39

I'm going to miss Casey so much. Watching him slide that bike, there was no-one more beautiful to watch. The replays of him sliding through turn 3 at Phillip Island... :love:

#1970 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:29

Would it? I think it'd be great. I dont actually like arguing with you guys. I just wanna high-five everyone and point hateful fingers at Stoner together. :p

:lol:

Edited by HPT, 29 October 2012 - 04:30.

#1971 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:23

wonder if they will give Stoner a wildcard for this track next year? 125cc!

Pass on the 125 but that's a great idea.He did say he wasn't finished riding this track.Whether he means he'll be doing a few ride days with the mere mortals or just booking the track for himself(which is probably more likely)who knows.I hope he ends up back on a race bike and not in a V8 Supercar as has been mooted.

#1972 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:13

He couldnt beat Wayne in 91 or 93 when he was much fitter.

I don't think Doohan was fitter than Rainey in 93. I remember seeing him in a video after his 93 Laguna crash heavily limping away from the track. Seeing him also walking in the pitlane was not a pleasant one. Calling him fit is an exaggeration of the decade IMO. Racers retired with more minor injuries. He was a very tough guy, very determined and I say that as a Schwantz fan.

Edited by piszkosfred, 29 October 2012 - 10:14.

#1973 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:40

OK - you're a hater! But seriously it's your right to have a personal aversion to a personality. For me it was the childish antics that Rossi orchestrated after a win. Good for the sport you may say, maybe it was. I come from a different generation where we respect hard men like Doohan, Schwantz, Roberts, not sissies like Rossi. Just personality I guess and I could still admire quite a few of his wins even though many were against paper thin opposition. When Lorenzo grew up and became a real man of MGP it was like "PHEWW!" And his growing respect for other riders was a great improvement from his days of disrespectful arrogance.

To the point, Stoner will be terribly missed because he is still at his majestic peak, the best of the crop, though Jorge is close but not as sublime to watch in action. Pedrosa is still a little mentally weak but this last few months have seen him come sone way. And then there's nobody really close yet.

As for the moaning I have never perceived Casey moans any more than Rossi. Face it (because it's probably the truth) if Casey has a bike capable of winning he usually does. Even with a bike not quite (Ducati) he often did. His moaning which got the whole thing going IMHO was his criticism of Rossi at the Laguna corkscrew - valid IMHO. His criticism of the marshalls who fired up Rossi's bike and left him stranded when Rossi deserved a punch in the face, was also understandable. The era with Stoner is infinitely better than the Rossi dominated one and likely better than the one we're about to enter.

#1974 DS27

DS27

• 1,053 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:38

OK - you're a hater! But seriously it's your right to have a personal aversion to a personality. For me it was the childish antics that Rossi orchestrated after a win. Good for the sport you may say, maybe it was. I come from a different generation where we respect hard men like Doohan, Schwantz, Roberts, not sissies like Rossi. Just personality I guess and I could still admire quite a few of his wins even though many were against paper thin opposition. When Lorenzo grew up and became a real man of MGP it was like "PHEWW!" And his growing respect for other riders was a great improvement from his days of disrespectful arrogance.

To the point, Stoner will be terribly missed because he is still at his majestic peak, the best of the crop, though Jorge is close but not as sublime to watch in action. Pedrosa is still a little mentally weak but this last few months have seen him come sone way. And then there's nobody really close yet.

As for the moaning I have never perceived Casey moans any more than Rossi. Face it (because it's probably the truth) if Casey has a bike capable of winning he usually does. Even with a bike not quite (Ducati) he often did. His moaning which got the whole thing going IMHO was his criticism of Rossi at the Laguna corkscrew - valid IMHO. His criticism of the marshalls who fired up Rossi's bike and left him stranded when Rossi deserved a punch in the face, was also understandable. The era with Stoner is infinitely better than the Rossi dominated one and likely better than the one we're about to enter.

I agree with pretty much all this. Of course it is everyone's right to like / dislike the riders they want, but I am genuinely shocked that anyone can be glad he's retiring. I remember when he announced he was retiring, there were a few people who were jumping through hoops.

Surely you can appreciate his (to me incredible) riding style, even if you dislike him as a person. A bit like how I feel about Hamilton, unlikeable but good to watch - just using that as an analogy, not to argue the point.

#1975 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:22

yeah was a lot more interesting when rossi was winding him up though :lol:

That was before he realised just how hard the Ducati was to ride though

#1976 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:35

Jlo u deserve it. :up: :up: :up:

#1977 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:47

Congratulations to Lorenzo, the deserved winner for me in an equal season with one DNF apiece (neither at fault) until Pedrosa fell off.

No classic championships battles in any category, and a particularly sad season of MotoGP. The future of Spies looks bleak, Rossi/Ducati has failed, Simoncelli still badly missed and Stoner retiring. Lorenzo deserves to win more epic titles.

Well this season has been poor with the injury to Stoner and failure of both Spies and Ducati, i expect next season to be better with Rossi providing more competition for Lorenzo at Yamaha and maybe Marquez might be something special at Honda to compensate somewhat for the retirement of Stoner. I still expect little from Ducati though although it will be interesting to see how Iananone goes, pity maybe that Pol Espargaro has not made the step up to a satellite bike, not sure how good Bradley Smith will be.

#1978 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:54

Cluzel confirmed at Crescent FIXI Suzuki for 2013. That will be interesting. :cool:

#1979 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:26

I think Marquez will struggle a bit. He will probably be fighting with the Tech 3 Yamahas and maybe Dovi if Ducati fix the bike, not slugging it out with the other aliens.

Advertisement

#1980 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:17

I think he'll do just like Stoner and Lorenzo, and just like he did in his first races in Moto2 : bloody fast, but crashing a lot. Then one day he'll find the limit of the tires and will start winning.

#1981 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:31

I agree on much here and especially this part. For me I struggle to decide whether Rossi was on the downslide when Casey appeared and Jorge took control at Yamaha. You see he never beat anyone really good on the big bikes until he tangled with Casey who was arguably on the upslope of his career. It can't be doubted that he needs to be included in the top flight of champions. He did know how to close the deal, win in a variety of ways, and so on. Even if you hated his childish celebration games and churlish mind-games on his rivals, he was very good. Stoner on Ducati was the first test and back then everyone said it was the speed of the Ducati that won Casey the title, passage of time has softened that argument. The one on one at Yamaha with Jorge was the most revealing, Rossi now had serious, very serious rivals to being the best rider in the world. The unhappy visit to Ducati GP ended any (unlikely) question of his supremacy that may have existed as Hayden was closely matched.

I would put my own case for Rossi - peaked around 2003 - 2005, highlighted by his bringing Yamaha into winning proposition. Stoner emerged fully genius in 2007 and rode a fast but difficult Ducati and showed also that there are many ways to win a GP. Lorenzo with his immediate impact on MotGP would prove to be too much for an aging champion and at his third attempt he "stole" the crown from Rossi. Being the vain personality he was Vale decided would prove again his ability to rehabilitate a team struggling. This as it turned out, by 2012, undermined much of the glory of 7 championships at the top level. Stoner truly had been hampered badly by an uncompetitive Ducati from 2008 - 2010 and was the fastest rider of this era. Remember how badly Stoner used to dominate teammate Hayden and others?

I see Rossi's ascendency as similar to Schumacher's, they both started to dominate their sport soon after all the past great champions were no longer around, also i dont see either would be able to dominate against the current generation

#1982 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:31

Then one day he'll find the limit of the tires and will start winning.

Which will be within a year, I'm sure.

#1983 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:32

I see Marquez struggling a lot to be honest. No way he'll be able to ride a MotoGP bike like he does a Moto2 bike on Dunlops, he's going to have to reinvent himself as a rider to succeed and looking at Ben Spies, that's a very tough thing to do. I fear another Spies in the making.

#1984 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:34

I think Marquez will struggle a bit. He will probably be fighting with the Tech 3 Yamahas and maybe Dovi if Ducati fix the bike, not slugging it out with the other aliens.

I disagree i think he will be somewhere inbetween, i think he's a cut above the present satellite riders

Edited by kpchelsea, 29 October 2012 - 16:37.

#1985 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:08

Cluzel confirmed at Crescent FIXI Suzuki for 2013. That will be interesting. :cool:

http://www.crash.net...ent_suzuki.html

Who will be the Parkalgar/PTR supersport riders? Because both Clusel & Lowes left the team (and the SSP 600). + imho the Ten Kate riders are not a top riders, so Honda seems weeker next season. I hope it mean Talmacsi might get more support from Honda.

#1986 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,877 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:15

I see Rossi's ascendency as similar to Schumacher's, they both started to dominate their sport soon after all the past great champions were no longer around, also i dont see either would be able to dominate against the current generation

Rossi's 2008 and 2009 titles were exactly against the current generation and he won convincingly. Now we know the Ducati was already a wild outgunned beast (hindsight is great) and neither Stoner nor Lorenzo had peaked, but still. How many generations and riders did he cross and beat through his entire career?

There are some parallels to Schumacher, though, but Rossi will still ge around next year to have another go at Lorenzo, Pedrosa and the rest while also meeting Marquez (how many generations are between them?)!

If I had to bet, I'd say Marquez first win will come at Aragon.

Edited by Atreiu, 29 October 2012 - 17:16.

#1987 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:39

http://www.crash.net...ent_suzuki.html

Who will be the Parkalgar/PTR supersport riders? Because both Clusel & Lowes left the team (and the SSP 600). + imho the Ten Kate riders are not a top riders, so Honda seems weeker next season. I hope it mean Talmacsi might get more support from Honda.

I don't think Lowes has left PTR.

#1988 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:42

Rossi's 2008 and 2009 titles were exactly against the current generation and he won convincingly. Now we know the Ducati was already a wild outgunned beast (hindsight is great) and neither Stoner nor Lorenzo had peaked, but still. How many generations and riders did he cross and beat through his entire career?

There are some parallels to Schumacher, though, but Rossi will still ge around next year to have another go at Lorenzo, Pedrosa and the rest while also meeting Marquez (how many generations are between them?)!

If I had to bet, I'd say Marquez first win will come at Aragon.

Certainly Lorenzo was inexperienced and we know now that Stoner was bike limited, i just dont believe that Rossi in his prime would dominate these riders in their prime, likewise Schumacher with the likes of Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton.

#1989 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,438 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 17:44

I'll definately miss stoner but next year seems more interesting prospect than this year did to me at this point last year.

#1990 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:16

I don't think Lowes has left PTR.

Paul Bird's CRT?

Or he is an other Lowes?

Or that was just a rumor?

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Edited by Tarzaan, 29 October 2012 - 18:16.

#1991 monza2001

monza2001

• 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 22:18

Ducati continues preparations for 2013 World Superbike season

Ducati is finalising its plans for the 2013 World Superbike Championship, both in the development of the 1199 Panigale and how it will participate in the series.

The company has already confirmed the renewal of its contract with Carlos Checa, who won the 2011 World Superbike Championship on a Ducati 1198, and the Spanish rider will now continue development of the new Ducati 1199 Panigale ready for its World Superbike debut year.

After three years of constructive cooperation, the relationship between Ducati and Team Althea Racing will now come to an end. The cooperation from 2010 to 2012 reached major sporting achievements, including winning the 2011 Manufacturers' and Riders' Superbike World Championship in addition to the 2011 Manufacturers' and Riders' titles of the Superstock series.

Despite both parties' intention to continue the collaboration, an agreement, which meets the requirements of both Team Althea Racing and the Bologna-based manufacturer's management, has not been found for 2013. However, the exceptionally good relationship that Ducati has enjoyed with Team Althea Racing, combined with the friendship and gratitude towards team owner, Genesio Bevilacqua, for his continuing efforts and loyalty during these years, means that other forms of cooperation between Ducati and Team Althea could still be found in the future.

With Ducati's 2013 plans now almost finalised, more details will be released in the next few days

#1992 chunder27

chunder27

• 925 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 23:18

Some real interesting points from guys here.

I do rate Casey as perhaps one of the fastest around, and the parallel with Freddie is spot on, he didnt know how he did it and it only lasted a while, but while it did it was mercurial, weird and staggering, especially when you consider he won a lot of those races on a heavy, underpowered 3 cyllinder.

Remember also he nearly got teh NR in the points a few times before he revved it to bits, and he won on the over the engine NSR as did Mamola at Silverstone.

Rossi I dont know, I think in his mind he was as strong as anyone, I could not see anyone, even Mick getting to Valentino in his prime. He would have shrugged him off.

But the best era for me will always be late 80's early 90's. Awesome riders, bikes that only the Gods could ride quickly, good racing in all classes usually, awful paddock wear and haircuts, good quotes, riders you hated like Lawson and Rainey at the time and ones you loved like Schwantz and Kocinski!!

#1993 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 382 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:45

Are you guys serious about questioning Rossi? I mean ROSSI???

Where is the evidence that any of the current riders is better than him? Can you assume Lorenzo would have won 2010 had Rossi not missed half the season due to the accident (his own fault)? I don't think he would have. In 2007 there was a clear Ducati-Stoner advantage, for which the aussie deserves credit (we now know), true, but Rossi didn't have a chance. When he did in 2008 and 2009 he won all wheel-to-whell battles against the younger guns. Then 2010 and the accident, then the Ducati, which we can't compare to the bikes Stoner rode in previous years, but it has been of course very disappointing. I don't think you can just assume Stoner would have won races with that particular bike like some do.

Lorenzo and Stoner are both great riders, who can deny that, but to me they're still in a different league to Rossi. I like Stoner's style, very natural, but he found it very hard to fight against Rossi. Mentally he wasn't up to the task. Lorenzo was, but his racecraft wasn't as good. They youngsters only won when the old master wasn't fighting with them.

As for calling Marquez a "robot midget"...WTF? He's not particularly short compared to the average rider and you can't say he's not aggressive and uncompromissing most of the time. He'll win races next year, I'm sure.

Edited by Jamelon, 30 October 2012 - 00:47.

#1994 Redback

Redback

• 718 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:33

Are you guys serious about questioning Rossi? I mean ROSSI???

Where is the evidence that any of the current riders is better than him? Can you assume Lorenzo would have won 2010 had Rossi not missed half the season due to the accident (his own fault)? I don't think he would have. In 2007 there was a clear Ducati-Stoner advantage, for which the aussie deserves credit (we now know), true, but Rossi didn't have a chance. When he did in 2008 and 2009 he won all wheel-to-whell battles against the younger guns. Then 2010 and the accident, then the Ducati, which we can't compare to the bikes Stoner rode in previous years, but it has been of course very disappointing. I don't think you can just assume Stoner would have won races with that particular bike like some do.

Lorenzo and Stoner are both great riders, who can deny that, but to me they're still in a different league to Rossi. I like Stoner's style, very natural, but he found it very hard to fight against Rossi. Mentally he wasn't up to the task. Lorenzo was, but his racecraft wasn't as good. They youngsters only won when the old master wasn't fighting with them.

As for calling Marquez a "robot midget"...WTF? He's not particularly short compared to the average rider and you can't say he's not aggressive and uncompromissing most of the time. He'll win races next year, I'm sure.

Rossi, Hayden, Lorenzo and Spies (amongst others) have all said of Stoner (in one way or another) "I don't know how he does it".

No one else has been able to get the Ducati to work except Casey.

When Stoner and Hayden were team mates Casey was more often than not, on a completely different level to Nicky. Yet Rossi is sometimes out qualified by Hayden on the same bike.

The answer is obvious and you're right, - Stoner is in a different league from Rossi.

#1995 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:10

I think that's a good signing. I think his style will probably suit a bigger bike.

Camier's now got a year's experience of the GSXR and I think the team will make progress. As much as I'm a fan of John Hopkins, having an injured rider on the second bike must have hampered the team a bit. Two riders at full fitness will make all the difference.

#1996 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:37

There will be 2 MV Augustas in BSB next year, with factory support. Still no words about the riders though.

#1997 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:11

There will be 2 MV Augustas in BSB next year, with factory support. Still no words about the riders though.

I had heard a rumour linking William Dunlop with MV. Pleased that they're back, whoever's riding!

#1998 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,874 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 13:00

Factory support is good. I don't think anybody noticed the Panigales cruising around at the back this year, unless they broke down.

#1999 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:37

Factory support is good. I don't think anybody noticed the Panigales cruising around at the back this year, unless they broke down.

I only noticed the Dooks cos one of the riders had a fairly interesting surname! :lol:

Advertisement

#2000 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:48

Michele Pirro is to become Ducati's test rider with the promise of some wildcard rides.

I only noticed the Dooks cos one of the riders had a fairly interesting surname! :lol:

Well he is a relative! Fortunately Osama was the black sheep and the rest of them are fairly normal.