Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#301 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 21:38

He finished the 2011 season with endurance races and a couple of races in STK1000 in the Ten Kate team. In 2012 he was doing really well on the MRS Kawasaki in STK1000, until he was called in WSBK. :)

Advertisement

#302 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 22:11

It's kinda funny that Baz scored his first "real" victory before Sykes did. I hope this gives the young Frenchman some big portion of confidence. Would be cool to see him mix up the podiums regularly.

#303 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 22:16

Ignore the finishing order bit, it's because they've gone with how they crossed the line to start lap 9 and not how they finished it, which is what it should be really.

Well he came out of nowhere to me until he jumped onto a Motorpoint Yamaha towards at the Croft meeting in 2010 and was immediately a regular points scorer. He left at some point in '11 and hadn't really followed what he was doing until he got the Kawasaki call.

Exactly a year ago on sunday he quit the BSB! As he said on Facebook;

Yesterday was the 5 august... Is you remember de 5 August 2011 I was sending my press release to said I wasn't able to ride in Bsb anymore cause my sponsor didn't payed.... It's quiet a nice story now! And only the beginning thanks to everybody who believe in me !!!

Hopefully he'll get a decent ride for next year too!

#304 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,236 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:55

This Loris Baz is some rider. The signs were there when he made his cameo in the BSB, and he has delivered.

Yeah, he was really good in BSB. Was quite a shame he couldn't finish the season.

#305 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:20

http://www.motomatte...nnounce_ro.html

That's all the proof that I need.

#306 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:41

About time. Now to watch Ducati slip in to irrelevance.

#307 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:52

About time. Now to watch Ducati slip in to irrelevance.

I dont think they will

Audi have too much money & pride to allow that to happen, especially if BMW go GP racing.
Every series that they have entered in the last few years they have been successful (that I can think of anyway)
WTCC with Seat,
Le Mans with Audi
DTM with Audi
IRC with Skoda
& they've got a €100m per year budget allocated to their WRC campaign....

Will Crutchlow be wearing red next year then?

#308 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 18:44

I dont think they will

Audi have too much money & pride to allow that to happen, especially if BMW go GP racing.
Every series that they have entered in the last few years they have been successful (that I can think of anyway)
WTCC with Seat,
Le Mans with Audi
DTM with Audi
IRC with Skoda
& they've got a €100m per year budget allocated to their WRC campaign....

Will Crutchlow be wearing red next year then?

We will see but bike racing is something different. As for Cal I'm sure there are different options of her isn't the first.

#309 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 19:08

We will see but bike racing is something different.

Throwing money at it works for Honda (most of the time).
Its worked for BMW & Aprilia in WSB too

#310 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 19:18

Yeah, with enough money and a convincing attitude they can basically buy the best engineers and other important personal. Given how Audi approach racing there should be progress pretty soon. Expect them to replace many people in key positions and a change in design philosophy if the old one doesn't cut it.

#311 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:09

Then is it bye bye Preziosi?

#312 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 22:54

Then is it bye bye Preziosi?

I wouldnt be surprised.....

#313 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 23:52

I would be shocked if Audi kept him.

#314 GrpB

GrpB

• 118 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:15

You mean DIDN'T work for Aprilia...in MotoGP. Wonder if Colin would rather be riding a Cube nowadays...

#315 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:38

Apparently Dovi is now the favourite to replace Rossi at Ducati. As Crutchlow said on twitter, the passport helps.

#316 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:58

Crutchlow is getting on my nerves with that shit.

#317 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,418 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:27

Isn't that what Edwards and Spies were on about on Twitter as well tough? Not like he's the only one, it appears to me that they're all having a go.

Edited by Disgrace, 08 August 2012 - 08:27.

#318 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:31

I'm not a big fan of HRC but please do not compare HRC with Audi or BMW or Aprilia. HRC is like a NASA of bike racing. Audi is just a another car company which after a bad season will pull the plug on the Ducati Motogp team. Ducati is only a marketing tool for them. They don't know anything about bikes. Several attempts were made in the past to bring car technology into bike racing. They all failed big time.
As for BMW and Aprilia, they won't go to Motogp because they know will fail.

#319 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:39

Isn't that what Edwards and Spies were on about on Twitter as well tough? Not like he's the only one, it appears to me that they're all having a go.

Not about nationalities in particular, just about his ride next year. Everyone that got/is getting a factory ride earned it, he needs to quit acting like he's the next big thing and is getting screwed.

Advertisement

#320 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:50

Can someone who speaks Italian tell what Mary Spies is saing here?

http://www.gpone.com...-ritirarsi.html

Is she really saying that Rossi was only winning championships because he had the best bike, and that he should retire now?

#321 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:07

BTW Dovi has also contacts in WSBK with Aprilia (Biaggi is asking for a lot of money for 2013), and Honda (rumors are sending Rea at Gresini on the new Honda CRT).

#322 Arn

Arn

• 1,635 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:13

Both Dovi and Cal are primadonnas at the moment, who think they deserve a factory ride, just because they are basically on a factory Yamaha disguised as a Tech 3 customer bike.

I think their performance have really been flattered by the bike and atleast a handful of other riders could achieve the same results.

Dovi is consistant but not that fast while Cal can be relatively fast at times but crashes often in practice or qualifying and have bad races. The one who doesn't get the ride will feel screwed and I hope the other one will get beaten convincingly by Hayden.

And its funny how Cal is talking about passport when there was alot of talk about the series needing a British rider when he was brought in, after a single unsuccesful year in WSBK.

#323 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:25

Cal finished 5th in the standings, with 3 wins, not bad for a rookie year imo. Not as good as Spies that's for sure, but the Yamaha was poorly developped that year.

#324 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,418 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:43

Not about nationalities in particular, just about his ride next year. Everyone that got/is getting a factory ride earned it, he needs to quit acting like he's the next big thing and is getting screwed.

I'm sure politics is involved in getting rides, and I suppose he thinks that is his best strategy, so I can't read too much into his words myself. Rather we'll see where it gets him.

On another note, I would prefer to see Cal over Dovi on a top bike as the latter has already failed at that level. It would be an uninspiring signing whereas with Cal there should be more room for improvement. He's certainly no "alien" though and the way it's turned out for poor Spies puts me off somewhat. The sensible option frankly is to grab Rossi; the best I see for the Tech 3 duo is a Ducati ride at most.

Both Dovi and Cal are primadonnas at the moment, who think they deserve a factory ride, just because they are basically on a factory Yamaha disguised as a Tech 3 customer bike.

It's politics and posturing sure, but I don't think they can afford not to.

I think their performance have really been flattered by the bike and atleast a handful of other riders could achieve the same results.

Agreed, but only a handful. These two aren't going to be fighting for titles anytime soon but they're better than most of what is a weak (and small) grid. I would like to see someone like Bradl get his hands on this kind of bike.

Dovi is consistant but not that fast while Cal can be relatively fast at times but crashes often in practice or qualifying and have bad races. The one who doesn't get the ride will feel screwed and I hope the other one will get beaten convincingly by Hayden.

The latter option has always been the best. An engineer/rider can dial out crashes, but dialling in speed to an already experienced rider is much harder.

Edited by Disgrace, 08 August 2012 - 09:52.

#325 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:14

Crutchlow is getting on my nerves with that shit.

He's shown this sense of entitlement at least since the 2012 brakes he didn't want to pay for out of principle (but mysteriously ended up getting anyway). I understand top flight riders have to keep believing they are the best to some extent, but at least back then it looked like he was going to beat Dovizioso. Right now that's far from certain anymore. Maybe he's just more vocal about it than others.

By the way, isn't it looking like two Moto2 riders with the same passport might be on a Tech 3 and a junior Ducati next year? And to be honest he could be dodging a bullet by missing out on the Ducati ride. He seems obsessed with full factory support, but Tech 3 doesn't look like a bad ride for next year, at all, if only he'd want to stay.

Spies

I keep wondering what's going on with him. His mom seems to place some of the blame for his leaving Yamaha with Rossi, but really he's had a nightmare season since day one, for reasons unknown.

#326 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:15

Can someone who speaks Italian tell what Mary Spies is saing here?

http://www.gpone.com...-ritirarsi.html

Is she really saying that Rossi was only winning championships because he had the best bike, and that he should retire now?

No matter where Spies rode everybody disliked this woman. There were a lot of bad talk in the AMA days too about her. I wonder if she the reason why the Spies - Yamaha relationship got wrong? An article about her "professionalism":

http://www.gpone.com...-ma-e-Mary.html

#327 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:10

I keep wondering what's going on with him. His mom seems to place some of the blame for his leaving Yamaha with Rossi, but really he's had a nightmare season since day one, for reasons unknown.

I have read several times that his bike might have been a rolling laboratory for Lorenzo's bike, and that he wasn't free to set up his bike like he wanted, like Toni Elias at LCR. I guess we'll know after he left.

Edited by GSiebert, 31 August 2012 - 09:59.

#328 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 13:39

He's shown this sense of entitlement at least since the 2012 brakes he didn't want to pay for out of principle (but mysteriously ended up getting anyway). I understand top flight riders have to keep believing they are the best to some extent, but at least back then it looked like he was going to beat Dovizioso. Right now that's far from certain anymore. Maybe he's just more vocal about it than others.

By the way, isn't it looking like two Moto2 riders with the same passport might be on a Tech 3 and a junior Ducati next year? And to be honest he could be dodging a bullet by missing out on the Ducati ride. He seems obsessed with full factory support, but Tech 3 doesn't look like a bad ride for next year, at all, if only he'd want to stay.

Thats why the season plays out. He is talking an awful lot for someone who was looking like they didnt belong in motogp last year. Of course teams are going to wait on him and see if he can keep up his good results. Who is to say he wont be a disaster again next year?

#329 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:11

Haven't read the article at gpone, because *Italian*... But I suppose it's just quotes from her facebook page, where she made statements. Apparently she never talked about MotoGP, so no, she's not talking about Rossi. Although I must admit, that I haven't read her facebook comments either, because I refuse to register with that service.;)

#330 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:06

Well, that article does have the full quote in English:

"Here is my personal opinion. We have fast motorcycle racers. We have good motorcycle racers. We have racers that crash alot but still bring in great results. We have talented riders. (those that ride with a plan and ride fast) we have racers that can build a bike and ride the bike ..to a point. We have racers that can get on the same bike and one can ride it better than the other. We have two in my lifetime of the past 20 years that built their bikes and got championships and in my mind I clearly feel they had fast bikes but were NOT the best or most talented rider. It was simply timing. There was no competition only because they were on the fastest bike not actually the better rider. One is retired and one should be retired. Have a nice day".

Read more @ GPone

The rest is mostly a literal Italian translation and them speculating that she meant Doohan and Rossi (to be fair, they don't name the latter, saying only that they have their idea of who she's talking about, but they would rather not share it). But indeed she does not specify which class(es) of bike racing she was talking about. Might be relevant considering Spies hasn't been in the GP world all that long.

I must admit I read it as bad blood between her and Rossi the first time around. Now I'm not so sure.

Edited by manmower, 08 August 2012 - 15:14.

#331 Nova

Nova

• 7,178 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:39

Doohan and Rossi? :lol:

#332 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:01

Why, do you reckon she meant Crivillé? :)

If the other one is in MotoGP, it essentially has to be Rossi, Hayden, Stoner, or Lorenzo.

Edited by manmower, 08 August 2012 - 19:03.

#333 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:20

She never said anything about MotoGP though.

#334 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:28

I must admit I read it as bad blood between her and Rossi the first time around. Now I'm not so sure.

She is talking about her lifetime, which probably means her time as a managing mom in motorcycle racing. And coincidently Spies has been racing motorcycles for about 20 years now. Why would she talk about MotoGP? She never had anything to do with Rossi, Hayden or even Doohan. Makes no sense to assume she was slamming anyone of them.

Not that it would be any better, if she mouthed off about Hayes and Mladin there. But at least you could say she knew what she was talking about, even if you disagree.

#335 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,071 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 20:55

Doohan and Rossi? :lol:

hahaha

#336 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 20:57

So it's Mladin and who else?

#337 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 21:07

Biaggi.

#338 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,787 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:52

Jesus! Ben grow a pair and tell Mom to can it.Makes him look a fool.I though Stoner was hen pecked with his Mrs hanging out of his pocket at every turn.

#339 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 153 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:08

She is talking about her lifetime, which probably means her time as a managing mom in motorcycle racing. And coincidently Spies has been racing motorcycles for about 20 years now. Why would she talk about MotoGP? She never had anything to do with Rossi, Hayden or even Doohan. Makes no sense to assume she was slamming anyone of them.

Not that it would be any better, if she mouthed off about Hayes and Mladin there. But at least you could say she knew what she was talking about, even if you disagree.

Oh please, it's 100% clear that she's speaking about Doohan and Rossi. Multiple championships and building their bikes. I don't really care if she's ditching Rossi because there is a world championship right now in that discipline. But Doohan, please... After 1992 Assen it's a miracle he's even alive let alone world champion. She should check some some 1992,93 clips on youtube. He looked like some 80 year old criple (1993 Laguna crash for example). 99 % of any riders would have retired after that. People like to forget that he dominated the season before the Assen crash, against Rainey and Schwantz (5 win out of 7 races). I'm nothing against Spies but right now happy to see him and his entourage leaving.

Advertisement

#340 manmower

manmower

• 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03

Plenty of multiple champs in AMA Superbike in the last 20 years, one of them a certain Ben Spies. :lol:

Besides, she could be talking about the two riders together taking "championships", it could also mean one or both only won a single season.

#341 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:22

People like to forget that he dominated the season before the Assen crash, against Rainey and Schwantz (5 win out of 7 races).

Helped of course by the fact that Michelin were declining to supply any other team with its tyres that year. But yes, he bossed that season on the Rothmans NSR like no one since Freddie Spencer, er, also on a Rothmans NSR. It's sad for the chroniclers that Doohan's injuries in 1992-3 meant that he moved directly from being "the other man" in the Rainey/Schwantz rivalry to being The Only Man from 1994 onwards. Doubt he minds somehow.

#342 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:39

Apparently the Rossi-Yamaha deal could be announced tomorrow.

#343 Nova

Nova

• 7,178 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 18:15

Oh please, it's 100% clear that she's speaking about Doohan and Rossi.

It can not be. Not if she is sane that is. Doohan is a hero of mine, I don't care for Rossi, but they both are without question some of the most talented riders that ever were. Having good bikes does not take away from that.

#344 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 18:20

It's 100% clear that somebody didn't bother to read her follow up.

#345 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 18:37

It can't possibly be Josh Hayes, surely?

I remember in 2009ish the then-GSE Racing boss Colin Wright really laying into Biaggi. There seem to be a few people swimming in the WSBK paddock who really don't rate him at all. Mad Max was one of Spies's rivals in 2009, and by the sounds of these Spies-to-BMW rumours his management hasn't lost contact with that series. Whatever, we're not discussing anything very important. If it weren't for the fact that he comments make you think "Doohan and Rossi", this wouldn't be a story.

Edited by Risil, 09 August 2012 - 18:38.

#346 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 19:06

Ben and Josh didn't really spend a lot of time racing against each other. The fact that Josh is still handing everyone their asses would make you scratch your head if that was the target of her comment. Biaggi and his inconsistency this year is more believable.

Actually there are a bunch of people that could apply if we're talking just WSBK and not AMA. Haga and Corser come to mind.

#347 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 19:11

I read it as Roberts and Hayden :lol:

#348 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,071 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 19:51

Whoever they are she's be better off canning it.

#349 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,805 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 20:02

These are really only stories because we make them stories though. Wives/Mothers/Girlfriends-of mouthing off on Twitter and the like is just...who cares. I know Mary Spies is in a different category as manager(?) but should we be taking her word as that of an expert? Don't give me gossip and tell me it's news.

#350 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:52

I guess we live in an age where a vague Facebook status is news. Oh well.