Photo

2012 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB Part II

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#351 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:10

Maybe it's time for momma spies to ride the bikes herself see what she thinks then....

Edited by carbonfibre, 10 August 2012 - 07:10.

Advertisement

#352 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:38

So it's official. Worst kept secret in a very long time.

#353 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:38

Well now on the frontpage, Ducati officially confirms that Rossi is leaving them after this season.

So next up the Yamaha announcement i guess.

#354 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:05

Yep, its super official now, he's at Yamaha for the next 2 seasons.

#355 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:08

Normalcy has returned.

#356 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:20

MotoGP really needed Rossi on a good bike after Stoner's departure.

#357 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29

yessssssss!

#358 Igorr

Igorr

• 227 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:48

http://www.iamabiker...turn-from-2013/

#359 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:49

My money on Dovi for the spare Ducati seat, if they choose to go for an existing GP rider. I just cannot see them wanting a Brit and a Yank.

Advertisement

#360 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:55

I believe Dovi on the current Ducati would be a total failure, we saw with Rossi you can't ride this bike with the 250cc style that Dovi also has. I think a "wilder" riding style is needed, and Crutchlow, Redding and Iannone might have it.

#361 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:04

I guess we live in an age where a vague Facebook status is news. Oh well.

....and don't get me started on Twatter (sp?)  ;)

#362 Nova

Nova

• 7,178 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:13

Rossi to Yamaha must be good, Lorenzo vs Rossi will probably be the only thing exciting about the race for the championship. It will also be interesting to see how well Marques does in his first season, but it will not be a championship run.

Find it odd that Rea is considering a Honda CRT bike. Both the aging Fireblade and a new suberbike manufacturer seems better than a CRT bike, even the new prototype from Honda, and it's not like Rea will snatch a factory bike from the Repsol team, and not likely one of the two other factory Honda bikes...... or is it for 2014?

#363 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:15

But does Rossi bring back his whole crew or is it just him coming back to Yamaha?

Well the Ducati mission failed hard im glad for Rossi that he has the chance to go back to a good team but im sad for Ducati. They invested a lot of money in it and come out with nothing, the bike hasn't gotten a lot better and their reputation has only become worse and that's not only Ducati's fault, but im sure a lot will say it is.

#364 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:17

But does Rossi bring back his whole crew or is it just him coming back to Yamaha?

I think it's just the inner sanctum, i.e. Burgess and a few others.

#365 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37

So it's official. Worst kept secret in a very long time.

Worst kept secret since... Rossi to Ducati two years ago? ;)

#366 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:05

Well the Ducati mission failed hard im glad for Rossi that he has the chance to go back to a good team but im sad for Ducati. They invested a lot of money in it and come out with nothing, the bike hasn't gotten a lot better and their reputation has only become worse and that's not only Ducati's fault, but im sure a lot will say it is.

I'd say it was entirely Ducati's fault. I'm sad for them too, but at the end of the day, its THEM who have been unable to provide a rideable bike for anybody except Stoner in 5 years now. Pointing blame anywhere else seems ludicrous to me.

#367 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:20

Well it has been trashed frankly. Only the fact that there are so few rides on non-CRT bikes will anyone be queuing to ride for them.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 August 2012 - 11:23.

#368 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,071 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:00

Hopefully the racing will be good enough between Lorenzo and Rossi to avoid a run away champion. And I guess it will be better for Marquez to not fall right into the spotlight, unless the RC213V suddenly becomes a 2011-esque rocket and there would be no hiding at all.

Ducati would be wise to take Dovi. He has adapted fairly well to the Yamaha and done better than Cal despite all the hype and promise. With he recent experience on both Honda and Yamaha, you can be sure he will be able to tell them what a decent bike should be like. And Ducati will be hell bent on listening to him like there literally is no tomorrow.

#369 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,458 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:04

I believe Dovi on the current Ducati would be a total failure, we saw with Rossi you can't ride this bike with the 250cc style that Dovi also has. I think a "wilder" riding style is needed, and Crutchlow, Redding and Iannone might have it.

We said the same thing about Hayden too. Arguably nobody slid as much as him except Stoner.

#370 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:21

Yes and Hayden is (almost) as good as Rossi on this bike, which wouldn't be the case on a Honda or Yamaha imo.

Edited by GSiebert, 10 August 2012 - 12:21.

#371 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,807 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:26

Yeah that actually supports the theory, heh. Hayden in many ways has been the best Ducati rider after Stoner. He's sort of over performed. But that could also be work ethic/personality as well as riding style. I think Melandri lost his head as much as anything else and Rossi's number one problem seems to be confidence. Caused by mechanical issues but still...

#372 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:47

I think Melandri lost his head as much as anything else and Rossi's number one problem seems to be confidence. Caused by mechanical issues but still...

Melandri was in a really horrible place. While Stoner was winning, how would Ducati possibly admit to a problem with the bike?

#373 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,450 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:47

Yeah that actually supports the theory, heh. Hayden in many ways has been the best Ducati rider after Stoner. He's sort of over performed. But that could also be work ethic/personality as well as riding style. I think Melandri lost his head as much as anything else and Rossi's number one problem seems to be confidence. Caused by mechanical issues but still...

The bike is terrible, that's the main problem. Not confidence issues. Stoner was just able to ride around the problems like no other rider has ever been able to do. And even then, he struggled badly relatively after 2007

#374 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:56

That's not the only thing though. Stoner was world champion in 2007 but it's likely that an injury-free Capirossi would've taken the title with Ducati in 2006. "Old" MotoGP seemed to be much more forgiving of bad-handling bikes than fuel-limited, electronics-heavy, metronomic 2007-on MotoGP. Or perhaps bespoke Bridgestones allowed Ducati to be competitive with fundamentally different characteristics than the Hondas and Yamahas.

Electronics will eventually be cut back and Bridgestone may well get tired of copping all this shit as control manufacturer. There's not much to be gained from Prezioso and co. trying somehow to build a Honda or Yamaha clone with a fraction of the Japanese manufacturers' time and money. Arguably that's what the Cagiva project turned into: a few wins but nothing like a title challenge. Which must be the goal of every factory effort. Better go their own way and hope circumstances swing back round towards it. Whether Ducati can afford to play this Stoic long game is of course another matter entirely.

Edited by Risil, 10 August 2012 - 16:59.

#375 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,807 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:13

The bike is terrible, that's the main problem. Not confidence issues. Stoner was just able to ride around the problems like no other rider has ever been able to do. And even then, he struggled badly relatively after 2007

Terrible bike creates confident issues. Rossi isn't scared, but he isn't comfortable or trusting with it.

#376 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:33

I'm sure with Rossi moving to Yamaha, Dovizioso will sign for Ducati pretty soon, leaving Ben Spies to partner Crutchlow at Tech 3. Seems the most logical choice in my opinion.

#377 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,807 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:38

I thought Bradley Smith was glued into one of the Tech 3 bikes?

#378 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:42

He is, and Spies said he's leaving MotoGP.

#379 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:34

I'm sure with Rossi moving to Yamaha, Dovizioso will sign for Ducati pretty soon, leaving Ben Spies to partner Crutchlow at Tech 3. Seems the most logical choice in my opinion.

It'll probably be Crutchlow heading to Ducati.

Advertisement

#380 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:43

He is, and Spies said he's leaving MotoGP.

Didn't he just kind of 'hint' at that?

#381 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:02

I'd say it was entirely Ducati's fault. I'm sad for them too, but at the end of the day, its THEM who have been unable to provide a rideable bike for anybody except Stoner in 5 years now. Pointing blame anywhere else seems ludicrous to me.

Built a bike for stoner? :rolleyes:

You folks are hopeless.

#382 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:07

Built a bike for stoner? :rolleyes:

You folks are hopeless.

I did not read such a conclusion from that post.

#383 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:25

What a bitch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He could have saved face by sticking with Ducati but Rossi finally shows us all for what he really is. Whiney bitch who's been made to look like an absolute clown at Ducati and can't handle the fact that Stoner inadvertently made him and burgess look like a bunch of idiots. He should now be looking at himself before saying others success was down to the bike.

#384 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:26

Eh?

#385 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:48

Right, so I've just watched the World Superbike races from Sunday. Bear with me. First thing I thought was "That Loris Baz, he must be the youngest World Superbike winner evar." I Googled it and it turned out he was second. "Aha", thought I, "it must've been Anthony Gobert in his famous scene-stealing ride at Phillip Island in 1994." Nope! Baz was a couple of weeks younger. Then I Googled it again and looked a bit harder, and it turned out to be this Japanese HRC rider called Yuichi Takeda, who won his first WSBK race, which was also his debut WSBK race, while wildcarding at Sugo in 1996. I know that the Japanese factories in those days used to save something special for their "home" riders, but for an 18-year-old any international win, let alone against a field that good, is an extraordinary accomplishment.

My question is: who on earth is Yuichi Takeda? He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page! If anyone has any stories or knowledge about him, please share, or PM, or whatever. Sometimes I really resent how little information leaks out from the Japanese bike championships.

Edited by Risil, 10 August 2012 - 22:49.

#386 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:55

Right, so I've just watched the World Superbike races from Sunday. Bear with me. First thing I thought was "That Loris Baz, he must be the youngest World Superbike winner evar." I Googled it and it turned out he was second. "Aha", thought I, "it must've been Anthony Gobert in his famous scene-stealing ride at Phillip Island in 1994." Nope! Baz was a couple of weeks younger. Then I Googled it again and looked a bit harder, and it turned out to be this Japanese HRC rider called Yuichi Takeda, who won his first WSBK race, which was also his debut WSBK race, while wildcarding at Sugo in 1996. I know that the Japanese factories in those days used to save something special for their "home" riders, but for an 18-year-old any international win, let alone against a field that good, is an extraordinary accomplishment.

My question is: who on earth is Yuichi Takeda? He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page! If anyone has any stories or knowledge about him, please share, or PM, or whatever. Sometimes I really resent how little information leaks out from the Japanese bike championships.

I was wondering the same on sunday.

I miss proper wild-cards.......

#387 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:37

I did not read such a conclusion from that post.

OK... but it sure looks like you somehow drew some conclusion from my post! What is it? :lol:

#388 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:14

What a bitch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He could have saved face by sticking with Ducati but Rossi finally shows us all for what he really is. Whiney bitch who's been made to look like an absolute clown at Ducati and can't handle the fact that Stoner inadvertently made him and burgess look like a bunch of idiots. He should now be looking at himself before saying others success was down to the bike.

Good God...! :well:

If you paid close attention, you would empathize with Rossi, or at least his situation. Ducati doesn't have a clue what to do with the damned bike. They have never listened to the riders... not stoner, not melandri, nobody, because prezioso is viewed as God (based on a recent interview with one of the Ducati bosses). It's taken a massive failure by the single most influential rider in history for Ducati to take a look within and try to fix things.

I don't see Preziso lasting much longer. I also don't see how any sane person, drawing to the end of his career, would stay at Ducati in its current form. It takes months to make simple changes because they don't have the facilites. Ducati is a joke... and Stoner is a genius. It's still frustrating to me that so many people refuse to see the obvious.

Rossi's return to yamaha wasn't necessarilly straightforward. Unlike his time at Ducati, he'll have no excuse if Lorenzo beats him, which is the most likely result. But at least the bike will allow him to do his best, even if his best may not be good enough.

#389 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:38

Has anyone asked how Jorge feels about it? With the way that Rossi plays the politics and showboats like an American teenager I don't expect he will be that impressed though I expect him to keep up a diplomatic front. Having done a brilliant job for Yamaha and knuckling down to become a real pro Jorge could be forgiven for thinking will be highly disruptive within the team. IMHO Rossi makes far too much noise for a former champion who has made an absolute fool of himself over the last couple of seasons.

I hope Ducati can recover their form though really Stoner has flattered them with other-world rides. Having rider consistency could pay off with Hayden continuing to work hard for them. As mentioned above Dovi would be an excellent addition to the team - far better than the divisive Rossi.

#390 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:24

Rossi has won on a lot of different bikes, from Aprillia, Honda, Yamaha and in all the classes...not to mention the "1 or 2" titles he got.
Ducati couldn't buid a bike for him, what the heck, they couldn't build a bike for anyone BUT Stoner. They are a joke of a team and I am glad Rossi comes back to Yamaha.

#391 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:37

Rossi has won on a lot of different bikes, from Aprillia, Honda, Yamaha and in all the classes...not to mention the "1 or 2" titles he got.
Ducati couldn't buid a bike for him, what the heck, they couldn't build a bike for anyone BUT Stoner. They are a joke of a team and I am glad Rossi comes back to Yamaha.

Ducati couldn't but a bike that suited him, but he couldn't ride it as well simple as that.

All in all Ducati and Rossi were not made for eachother (as i already said back when they announced Rossi) and it's good for both that they seperate from eachother. I think it will do both Rossi and Ducati good in the end.

#392 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:40

Ducati couldn't but a bike that suited him, but he couldn't ride it as well simple as that.

well that would be Rossi's fault if he would be the only driver that had a problem with Ducati..However I think he's not
Yeah, he couldn't ride that type of handling. Too bad he wasted two years with them

#393 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:21

The Ducati WSBK factory team left when Rossi arrived, who wants to bet they'll be back next year ? They'll need to shine somewhere.

Edited by GSiebert, 11 August 2012 - 12:27.

#394 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:26

I miss proper wild-cards.......

Like Hopkins last year ? :cat:

#395 PokePoke

PokePoke

• 146 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:33

This is link to epic 1 race from WSB on Silverstone from official YT channel of italian broadcaster SBK - WSBK Silverstone - Race1, with a special dedication to the fans of old MotoGP/500cc (

The Ducati WSBK factory team left when Rossi arrived, who wants to bet they'll be back next year ? They'll need to shine somewhere.

Well, rumors tell that Checa after the first rides on the Panigale SBK was very disappointed.

Edited by PokePoke, 11 August 2012 - 13:57.

#396 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:59

The first WSBK race at Silverstone was exciting, but I don't think they should've been racing in those conditions. Towards the end Biaggi and Badovini both had scary lowsides that were directly the result of pushing too hard on a wet surface on slicks. It hardly needs to be stated that a rider lowsiding into the path of accelerating riders is the single greatest risk road racers on modern circuits face. And given how the series organisers handled wet conditions at Brno and Monza this year, and the Nurb last year, I think some questions ought to be asked of the officials. Perhaps the tyre compounds and constructions need to be looked at too.

#397 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:01

Well, rumors tell that Checa after the first rides on the Panigale SBK was very disappointed.

Guintoli rode it a couple of weeks ago and said it seemed very promising. No need to enter full panic mode yet. Needless to say there's not a lot of precedent for a carbon-chassis Superbike.

Edited by Risil, 11 August 2012 - 13:02.

#398 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:04

This is link to epic 1 race from WSB on Silverstone from official YT channel of italian broadcaster SBK - WSBK Silverstone - Race1, with a special dedication to the fans of old MotoGP/500cc (

Yes but im the superstock 1000 it seems to be doing fine without any major factory involvement. And im pretty sure Ducati will launch a 1199 R version for the WSBK campaing next year.

#399 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 15:08

The first WSBK race at Silverstone was exciting, but I don't think they should've been racing in those conditions. Towards the end Biaggi and Badovini both had scary lowsides that were directly the result of pushing too hard on a wet surface on slicks.

Excatly, pushing too hard in those conditions. Rookie mistake :cat:

Advertisement

#400 Risil

Risil

• 14,423 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 16:01

The heightened challenge doesn't justify the danger. IMHO.