Photo

Hungarian GP FP1,2,3 and Qualifying

• Please log in to reply
909 replies to this topic

#901 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:49

Don't really care about the legality of what Vettel did. I just want the FIA to be consistent and give clear rulings.

According to Tilke, tracks are being forced to have asphalt runoffs because fans complained that a tiny mistake meant a driver's race was over, whereas now they can rejoin despite losing a few seconds.

Edited by SUPRAF1, 29 July 2012 - 05:42.

Advertisement

#902 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,643 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30

Don't really care about the legality of what Vettel did. I just want the FIA to be consistent and give clear rulings.

According to Tilke tracks are being forced to have asphalt runoffs because fans complained that a tiny mistake meant a driver's race was over, whereas now they can rejoin despite losing a few seconds.

In my opinion there should be two or three metres of grass after the kerbing, followed by whatever they want be it astro-turf, gravel or tarmac run-off.

#903 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:39

According to Tilke tracks are being forced to have asphalt runoffs because fans complained that a tiny mistake meant a driver's race was over, whereas now they can rejoin despite losing a few seconds.

Well, they can use the same system from video games. That is, every time you leave the track you have a time penalty added. For example, you win the race after cutting chicanes like crazy, but then have half an hour added to your time that sends you all the way to the back of the grid.

Computer controlled, so it is the same for everyone every race, every time.

Edited by fabr68, 29 July 2012 - 02:40.

#904 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:54

Yes its not at all tilke's fault or idea that runoffs be hard surface. Its FOM and FIA combined with the teams = idiocy. Fans want to see people suffer for their mistakes, zero-cost errors are never popular with viewers.

#905 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:14

And considering how they were running I'd say Mercedes set up is for snow.....

:lol:

#906 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:16

Well, they can use the same system from video games. That is, every time you leave the track you have a time penalty added. For example, you win the race after cutting chicanes like crazy, but then have half an hour added to your time that sends you all the way to the back of the grid.

In V8Supercars here in Australia at certain tracks like Adelaide they have positional sensors on the cars that pick up when a chicane has been cut or a driver is being a touch liberal with the curbing. During the race it's a case of 3 (or possibly 4/5) "strikes" and the driver incurs an automatic drive through penalty. I'm unsure if this is used during quallifying to nullify hot laps or not, but it takes any "stewards discretion" bollocks out of the decision making process.

Perhaps the FIA should look into this.... But then I'd miss the thoroughly enjoyable rampant fanboyism that goes on around here :)

#907 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:28

And considering how they were running I'd say Mercedes set up is for snow.....

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#908 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:05

And if another driver push your car and you have no choice cutting the chicane? Human factor. A computer can´t take decisions about if it was intentionally or simply not by your fault.

I hate when I have a penalty on video game because another car´s fault! And my wife too becasuse I must to replay!!! :p

#909 BinaryDad

BinaryDad

• 1,017 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:03

On the artificial grass you inmediatly lost your speed and time you benefit on the turn. Much more when you follow the turf line until the end. No way.

Also the car is more unstable and you would arrive sooner to the end of the final line keeping your car on the inside than on riding the turf.

As I said Seb steering angle and acceleration was faster than he wanted and lost the time because to complete the lap he needed to keep the car on the turf to the end losing at the moment all his speed. He even touched the real sand/grass at the end.

None of that is "a given". Can you prove that artificial turf always gives this "loss of speed and time" that you talk of? Seb has shown you CAN be fast with two wheels on the turf when he passed Alonso last year. This sort of thing isn't simply a case of "one surface is faster than the other" like an 80's arcade game. The reality is much more complex.

All Seb had to do was give enough gas to make sure his rear tires don't break the friction ellipse, and maintain that extra speed from the turn. Keep in mind that he also has two wheels on the painted kerb, so there might not be the same balance issues has it been two wheels on the tarmac.

#910 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:14

None of that is "a given". Can you prove that artificial turf always gives this "loss of speed and time" that you talk of? Seb has shown you CAN be fast with two wheels on the turf when he passed Alonso last year. This sort of thing isn't simply a case of "one surface is faster than the other" like an 80's arcade game. The reality is much more complex.

All Seb had to do was give enough gas to make sure his rear tires don't break the friction ellipse, and maintain that extra speed from the turn. Keep in mind that he also has two wheels on the painted kerb, so there might not be the same balance issues has it been two wheels on the tarmac.

It´s not the same the artificial grass than the real grass (Monza). And as I said Seb was with the other two wheels on the inside at Monza, while yesterday he was not. It´s known in F1 they decide to put artificial grass because SLOW your speed and don´t penalty your race (if you put a wall you are out). That´s why they decided to put artificial grass. The real grass is much more faster and much more unstable.

And about the gas you are wrong, you can´t give more gas because on the artificial grass the car is unstable, much more when you have any wheel on the inside and 2 on the kerb. Try it on the video games and you´ll see what happens. ;)

http://www.thenation...ass-makes-sense

Hope that helps you:

"Kaddoura has been installing AstroTurf at strategic points on the circuit at Yas since 2009, carefully cutting the polythene carpet like a tailor to match the track's twists and turns. As well as making a circuit look great, the AstroTurf slows cars down when they veer off course and helps drivers regain control. And it does all this without the debris and damage associated with sand or gravel."

Sorry but it´s obvious Seb lost time instead of gained. Let´s enjoy the race (and as you can see we can share opinions and discuss without being disrespectful! ) :kiss:

Edited by Alarcon, 29 July 2012 - 11:19.