Hungarian GP FP1,2,3 and Qualifying

• Please log in to reply
909 replies to this topic

#51 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,719 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:24

so Gilles Villeneuve was also a moron?

Gilles Villeneuve doesn't have a chequered history of being Wreckless in a race car.

Advertisement

#52 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:24

yeah completely his fault.... :rolleyes:

You don't want to genuinely discuss Maldonados driving, do you?

Gilles Villeneuve doesn't have a chequered history of being Wreckless in a race car.

Pastor is all but wreckless :lol:

Edited by Jovanotti, 27 July 2012 - 09:25.

#53 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:25

That Ferrari still has quite a bit of pace to spare........

#54 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:28

You don't want to genuinely discuss Maldonados driving, do you?

Pastor is all but wreckless :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#55 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:29

so Gilles Villeneuve was also a moron?

sometimes he was. in fact he was often labelled crazy at least in the beginning but hey we are at first practice in Hungary here and don't start to compare him to Maldonado

#56 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 990 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:31

No need to delete cookies. Just sign in.

Clicking "My Detail" bottom of the page goes to page where you can see
if you are signed in. If not click sign in and Live Timing works again.

to get rid of the egyptian signs you should delete the cookies, signing in won't solve it.

#57 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:43

They need to do something with the run-off areas at turn 4!

#58 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:00

I don't want to be so early Antonio say this, but it feels like the good old days with the top 3.
No pesky drinks car in sight :D

#59 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:00

McLaren at Hungary are the fastest car. As they were at Melbourne, Malaysia, Spain, Canada and Hockenheim.

Ferrari is hiding and RB... I have my doubts!

Edited by Alarcon, 27 July 2012 - 10:01.

Advertisement

#60 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,189 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:04

It will be very close fight between McLaren-Red Bull-Ferrari. Dark horse for this race is lotus

#61 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,613 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:08

This track is the closest to Monaco, in terms of layout.. it's just a bit quicker with a longer straight and a faster corner or two.

Tracks like Monaco and Hungary, you won't see the drivers push 100% until Q2 and Q3. It's like this with most tracks but ESPECIALLY Hungary and Monaco.

We know nothing. Even Schumacher could get pole.

Alonso, Hamilton and the two RB's will be up there as well.. but really hard to judge anything. At least with some dry running, there is no luck/lottery factor on the setups for quali and the race.

#62 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:16

This track is the closest to Monaco, in terms of layout.. it's just a bit quicker with a longer straight and a faster corner or two.

Tracks like Monaco and Hungary, you won't see the drivers push 100% until Q2 and Q3. It's like this with most tracks but ESPECIALLY Hungary and Monaco.

Alonso, Hamilton and the two RB's will be up there as well.. but really hard to judge anything. At least with some dry running, there is no luck/lottery factor on the setups for quali and the race.

I have watched plenty of free practices to know that these times don't matter, but somehow, I have a niggling doubt that McLaren are the car to beat here, followed by Ferrari and Red Bull.

I am happy to be proven wrong, though. :D

#63 GX390

GX390

• 751 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:16

Did you even watch the last race? Never count out Jenson.

#64 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:31

Hungary is a flowing track, totally different from Monaco. The only elements they share are length, the fact that they are the slowest tracks in the calendar.

#65 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:38

It will be very close fight between McLaren-Red Bull-Ferrari. Dark horse for this race is lotus

hasnt that how it's been for the majority of the races....... :)

#66 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40

Hungary is a flowing track, totally different from Monaco. The only elements they share are length, the fact that they are the slowest tracks in the calendar.

IMO, Hungagoring is the closest to Monaco because both circuits are maximum downforce type of tracks.

#67 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:42

McLaren at Hungary are the fastest car. As they were at Melbourne, Malaysia, Spain, Canada and Hockenheim.

Vettel thinks Ferrari has the best car, and Alonso admitted that the car has been good since Barcelona it's just been fine tuned since then.

Edited by Kvothe, 27 July 2012 - 10:42.

#68 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:44

Of course is Lotus the dark horse, but only in color... :rotfl:

#69 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:47

Of course is Lotus the dark horse, but only in color... :rotfl:

You will see tomorow that the Lotus will have plenty of pace and challenge for the podiums. :)

#70 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:47

McLaren drivers were on low fuel :wave:

#71 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:49

Pitlane please remind me of it on Sunday after the race because I will probably forget :wave:

PS. But of course a 1-2 Lotus with Fernando on 3 is more welcome than a McL or RBR win :smoking:

#72 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:50

According you your sixth sense of fuel levels.

#73 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:52

Pitlane please remind me of it on Sunday after the race because I will probably forget :wave:

PS. But of course a 1-2 Lotus with Fernando on 3 is more welcome than a McL or RBR win :smoking:

Will do if I can remeber that, after a bottle of JD celebrating the Lotus win ;)

#74 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:54

According you your sixth sense of fuel levels.

Simply by logic? How else would you explain this? They found very good pace straight away with high fuel, which they coludn't improve (or repeat) when track improved and with set up changes? This scenario doesn't make sense.

Edited by korzeniow, 27 July 2012 - 10:56.

#75 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:59

Simply by logic? How else would you explain this? They found very good pace straight away with high fuel, which they colud improve (or repeat) when track improved and with set up changes? This scenario doesn't make sense.

Upgrades, unproven in Germany practice due to weather in conjunction with Hungary upgrades have improved the car. McLaren has also won the last 5 of 7 GPs here and the most successful constructor at the track. They have a great track record here and know how to set up a car for the track. :)

Edited by JRizzle86, 27 July 2012 - 11:00.

#76 Owen

Owen

• 10,768 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:02

proof?

#77 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:04

Vettel thinks Ferrari has the best car, and Alonso admitted that the car has been good since Barcelona it's just been fine tuned since then.

Well I´m agree with you and with Seb, however I was talking about qualy. pace (sheer speed). The car is faster.

On the race pace McLaren (imo) has been back the Ferrari and the RB, excepting at Melbourne and Canada. In the other 9 races (race conditions and not Q3 conditions), the McLaren was the 3rd/4th car of the grid (imo).

Edited by Alarcon, 27 July 2012 - 11:07.

#78 MightyMc

MightyMc

• 184 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:05

Alonso looked to be ragging that car and was 0.6 off Hamilton, I think Mclaren are clear fastest on a dry track as they were last week.

Redbull you can take two ways, they are well off the pace, or they are doing serious evalution work(Flo-Vis was out)because of the banning of the maps, either way it don't look good for them.

There is a distinct difference in how Hamilton achieves his lap and Alonso, that Ferrari is a bitch to drive round here, the Mclaren looks much better and an easier drive all round.

It may all turn on it's head, but I doubt it.

#79 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06

You will see tomorow that the Lotus will have plenty of pace and challenge for the podiums. :)

Because the hot (and similar track to Valencia). However let´s see what happens, because imo McLaren here will be stronger.

Advertisement

#80 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:14

Lotus is always one to watch...and who knows if they will race their version of DDRS which might help them improve quali pace.........they are certainly going to be there or thereabouts

#81 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:18

I understand that McL fans need some hope since their drivers are so much behind Alonso in terms of points, but come on, it's just FP1.

#82 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:22

Simply by logic? How else would you explain this? They found very good pace straight away with high fuel, which they coludn't improve (or repeat) when track improved and with set up changes? This scenario doesn't make sense.

Just to name a few contributing factors:

McLaren tend to start FP1s with pretty advanced set-up state due to their advanced simulation.

Especially one of their driver - who topped FP1 today too - tends to be very good on green tracks.

The Hungaroring is a driver's track, where drivers can make bigger difference. Both JB and LH are 2 times Hungarian GP winners.;)

It's not necessarily fuel weight.

And at the last weekend? The McLaren was fast in FPs and fast in the race too. It was slow only on that tyre (Q3), which it couldn't switch on (heat up).

Edited by hunnylander, 27 July 2012 - 11:25.

#83 MightyMc

MightyMc

• 184 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:23

I understand that McL fans need some hope since their drivers are so much behind Alonso in terms of points, but come on, it's just FP1.

The Mclarens were the fastest in the dry last week also, Lewis would have poled it had it not been for the rain.

This aint no flash in the pan, this is Mclaren bolting on upgrades that were well over due and getting them dialed in.

#84 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:29

They're both slow speed, but they're very different apart from that. Hungaroring is full of long duration corners, where the downforce squaring effect counts for a lot (RB6 anyone?).

I don't really see how you can compare them in terms of how hard the drivers push Q2-Q3, in Monaco it's obvious why the guys who are sitting pretty don't push so hard, Hungaroring however is still a wide open circuit.

#85 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:29

McLaren tend to start FP1s with pretty advanced set-up state due to their advanced simulation.

Especially one of their driver - who topped FP1 today too - tends to be very good on green tracks.

The Hungaroring is a driver's track, where drivers can make bigger difference. Both JB and LH are 2 times Hungarian GP winners.;)

Sory, but that's wishful thinking. If they ran with high fuel from the start why they didn't improve later on with improved track conditions?

And at the last weekend? The McLaren was fast in FPs and fast in the race too. It was slow only on that tyre (Q3), which it couldn't switch on (heat up).

That was diffrent baceuse everyone knew second FP will be wet. Also track suted them in Germany, regardless of their updates.

#86 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:36

Not these again. Hamilton fastes in FP1 and suddenly McLaren is a rocketship.

#87 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:38

Sory, but that's wishful thinking. If they ran with high fuel from the start why they didn't improve later on with improved track conditions?

Sorry, you couldn't comprehend my comments at all!

They couldn't improve as much as the others, because they start with an already advanced set-up. It's flattering the car on FPs.

Ditto, a driver who's too good on green track, is flattering the car.

So the car is not as good as it seems at the beginning of the weekend!

Edited by hunnylander, 27 July 2012 - 11:40.

#88 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:41

But bad positions as 13 and 15 are very unusual for RBR even in free practice...

Edited by jstrains, 27 July 2012 - 11:42.

#89 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:42

Sorry, you couldn't comprehend my comments at all!

They couldn't improve as much as the others, because they start with an already advanced set-up. It's flattering the car on FPs.

Ditto, a driver who's too good on green track, is flattering the car.

So the car is not as good as it seems at the beginning of the weekend!

And you can't comprehend my comments. They didn't improve at all from their early pace. Did their advanced setup degraded in terms of its advancement?

#90 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,189 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:49

And you can't comprehend my comments. They didn't improve at all from their early pace. Did their advanced setup degraded in terms of its advancement?

Maybe they added more fuel to the car? Or maybe tyres started to drop off? There are lots of things teams try to evaluate in practice sessions so let's wait and see how things develop through the qualifying

#91 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:50

But bad positions as 13 and 15 are very unusual for RBR even in free practice...

Yeah, but Vettel's sector times on his in lap at the end of FP1 say otherwise. They were quite comparable.

#92 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:53

Maybe they added more fuel to the car? Or maybe tyres started to drop off? There are lots of things teams try to evaluate in practice sessions so let's wait and see how things develop through the qualifying

This. Don't know who is fastest, Alonso set his fastest time at the very end on 20+ lap tyres and the McLaren looked seriously hooked up.

It's still early days.

#93 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:58

Track temperature is 45. I persume it will raise even more

#94 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:01

Air 29. Here we go again...

#95 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:01

Lewis would have been a 3-time winner there, had it not been for the team screwing his race.

#96 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:03

At the moment it looks like some teams could try a 1 stop race.

#97 Pendejo

Pendejo

• 137 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:05

At the moment it looks like some teams could try a 1 stop race.

Do you know the lottery numbers for next week?

#98 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,909 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:07

Lotus looking quick already.

#99 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08

That's a different complex matter I didn't even touched. There are so much variables and changing through the weekend.

Their relatively advanced starting set-up is advanced compared to the rivals only. It doesn't mean they are the fastest potential team for Sunday with the final race set-up. And it doesn't predestined them for big improvements compared to the rivals. It does the opposite. The rivals advance more, catch up and overtake through the weekend.

Advertisement

#100 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08

Grosjean feeling the pressure..