Photo

Kimi to Ferrari Rumours

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

Poll: Kimi to Ferrari Rumours (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Kimi should go to Ferrari if they offer him the seat ?

1. Yes (96 votes [22.64%])

Percentage of vote: 22.64%

2. No (328 votes [77.36%])

Percentage of vote: 77.36%

If you were in Kimi shoes, what would you do to in the same situation ?

1. Stay at Lotus (340 votes [80.19%])

Percentage of vote: 80.19%

2. Go to Ferrari (84 votes [19.81%])

Percentage of vote: 19.81%

Kimi vs Fernando : Who do you think might have the upper hand ?

1. Kimi Raikkonen (85 votes [20.05%])

Percentage of vote: 20.05%

2. Fernando Alonso (229 votes [54.01%])

Percentage of vote: 54.01%

3. Too close to call (110 votes [25.94%])

Percentage of vote: 25.94%

Vote

#1 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:12

Hello everyone,

This is my first topic on this BB, and one call tell that I did not choose the easiest subject to start with.
Before this leads to anything, i openly admit that I am a Kimi fan, but i respect Alonso alot for his driving.

So, here we are in mid 2012, half season after Kimi has returned to the sport and impressively managed 5 podiums. Now wild rumours are already tipping him to replace Massa next year, in the second Ferrari seat. Hot prospect that would be if the rumour would turn real !!! I've read comments here and there from you guys, and it seems most of Kimi fans would not relish that challenge, given how things ended badly between Kimi and Ferrari. So i thought a specific topic would help to have clearer picture of you guys opinion on this rumour.
I dont want it to turn into another "2008 Massa vs Raikkonen" or "2007 Alonso vs Hamilton" argument so please let's have some constructive debate here. :up:

Now to answer my own poll, I'll go by :

Poll 1 : Do you think Kimi should go to Ferrari if they offer him the seat ?
I think knowing Kimi personnality and from what he said himself, he has no bad feeling for Ferrari so the water has gone under the bridge, but as a fan i wish he stays at Lotus. It would be nice to see him deliver another WDC with the team that gave him a second birth in F1 !! So I'll say : answer B (just because as a fan, its the safer option! lol)

Poll 2: If you were in Kimi shoes, what would you do to in the same situation ?
On the other hand, if I was in Kimi shoes, with his speed and F1 records, but with my own personnality, I think I would go back to Ferrari with a 2 year deal to challenge Alonso in "his" team. That way I will have a better measure of myself since he supposedly the best driver at the moment, and give my fans and his all the answers they have always been looking for through indirect teamates comparisons.

Poll 3: Kimi vs Fernando : Who do you think might have the upper hand ?
Close call for me! They are both great champions, and we will only know who's the best if they are teamed up :clap:

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:21

No way should Kimi move back to Ferrari, it would be ten times worse now it's Alonso's team. Stay at Lotus, get your head down and just drive, he still has some reputation to repair IMO.

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 929 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:31

As long LdM is at there, Kimi won't return to Ferrari.
He's happy where he is at the moment.

#4 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:39

As long LdM is at there, Kimi won't return to Ferrari.
He's happy where he is at the moment.

Are you sure?

#5 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:43

I see no benefit for Kimi to return to Ferrari. Lotus are fast, no politics, not as much PR work to do.

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 929 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:45

Are you sure?

You know, what I mean. :p
Of course he's not satisfied, until he wins.

#7 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:54

Posted Image

#8 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 13:56

1- No way ! Not after the way team treated him
2- Stay with Lotus. Their car / prospects are probably better.
3- Kimi (if he gets his car - which I doubt he will at Ferrari)

#9 beute

beute

• 1,204 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:03

In the first two polls I voted pro Lotus.
in the last one I voted pro Alonso.

It's simple, no one gets into that Ferrari team with the expectation to beat alonso.
No matter who's getting signed.

#10 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:04

Kimi to ferrari against Alonso would be great but with one verifiable condition : absolute equal treatment. Apart from that competition is never fair with a n 1 driver .

Edited by Taxi, 30 July 2012 - 14:05.

#11 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:04

What's a Ferrari Ice cream flavor of the month? Kimi!

By the time we hit the end of the year every driver on the grid will have been linked to Massa's seat.

#12 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:20

Please discuss the thread topic, not the thread itself or starter.

The rumours around a potential Kimi to Ferrari move are perfectly worthy of discussion, so the thread will remain.

In the hope of getting that discussion off to a better start, the poll options have been amended.

#13 Lone

Lone

• 659 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:20

I would really like to see a Kimi - Fernando match up. I believe it would be very even with the one having the most luck or rather the one beeing least unlucky to come out on top.

Nice poll, by the way! :wave:

#14 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:21

From the current results, I'm surprised that not many of you guys would personally take up the challenge of facing Alonso or lets say a mega tough competitor to prove your ownself in this game... so did you guys also think Jenson was too crazy to join Lewis ? Or is it more that Alonso is such a strong character that you will psychologically loose to him whatever your comitment (and with the speed of Kimi as I mentioned!) ? :well:

#15 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:23

No way would Alonso allow it

#16 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,387 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:24

Raikkonen's already had his chance in a Ferrari, it's time for someone else to.

#17 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:27

Would you rather play for Atlético or Real Madrid?

Same question really. Lotus have built two competitive cars since 1996 and a few close to but not-quite there like this year. If Kimi wants to win the title again he'd likely have to bite the bullet and go to one of the big teams. Will he win the title this year? Nah don't think so. Will Lotus be this good in 2013 as everyone will have figured out the secrets of this tyre family by then? Definitely not, because just look at how they're struggling in qualifying and in cool temperatures which evens out their tyre modelling.

That said... should he turn Ferrari down according to principle? I don't know. I know that I'd go where I got the best money if two big teams wanted to lure me as a driver. But with the exception of Ferrari, because driving there takes your marketability to a whole different level so the non-F1 income increases + winning the title with Ferrari is like winning 2 titles somewhere else in terms of the legendary status you get. The only place comparable to that is McLaren and even they lose drivers to Ferrari...

#18 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:29

Please discuss the thread topic, not the thread itself or starter.

The rumours around a potential Kimi to Ferrari move are perfectly worthy of discussion, so the thread will remain.

In the hope of getting that discussion off to a better start, the poll options have been amended.

Thank you. The originial questions were not really worth participating...

#19 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:32

All that being said I think it's all just a smokescreen with the rumours and that Vettel is the real target if Ferrari wants to pursue a dream team-style scenario. Kimi's been there before and didn't do so well and was frankly quite happy he was shafted and Alonso drafted in.

With Massa at least showing top 10 form now and likely to accept a peanuts contract for next year he's still my bet. If Ferrari should want to chase down Vettel they can't go for a young gun on a multi-year contract.

Advertisement

#20 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:33

Kimi to ferrari against Alonso would be great but with one verifiable condition : absolute equal treatment. Apart from that competition is never fair with a n 1 driver .

If Alonso beats Kimi people would claim Kimi is not getting the same treatment. There is no way out of this one I am afraid.
Kimi can struggle in qualy like he's been doing for the last few years and people would say that the car is suited to Alonso's style... Therefore he is the number #2 driver...

Edited by discover23, 30 July 2012 - 14:48.

#21 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:34

I'm a big Kimi and Ferrari fan but I just don't think this would be right for all parties to be honest so voted against in the first two poll questions.

#22 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:36

No, Kimi should not return to Ferrari after the way they sacked him.

Some people were already suspicious of preferential treatment towards Massa back when Kimi was still there, and Flippy wasn't even rallying the team around himself. Alonso is VERY much doing that, and I don't think Kimi's more laid back approach would gel in the environment that Alonso has created at Ferrari. He clearly has Ferrari behind him as much as Schumacher used to, and that sort of environment isn't good for anyone to step into. I wouldn't even wish it upon Hamilton or Vettel.

Kimi should stay right where he is at Lotus. We're seeing signs of the old McLaren era Kimi, which is wonderful to see again. We didn't even have that Kimi during his Ferrari days except for at a small number of races (visits to Spa come to mind).

#23 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:38

Some people were already suspicious of preferential treatment towards Massa back when Kimi was still there, and Flippy wasn't even rallying the team around himself. Alonso is VERY much doing that, and I don't think Kimi's more laid back approach would gel in the environment that Alonso has created at Ferrari. He clearly has Ferrari behind him as much as Schumacher used to, and that sort of environment isn't good for anyone to step into. I wouldn't even wish it upon Hamilton or Vettel.

Kimi should stay right where he is at Lotus. We're seeing signs of the old McLaren era Kimi, which is wonderful to see again. We didn't even have that Kimi during his Ferrari days except for at a small number of races (visits to Spa come to mind).

I have to agree with that. Kimi was brilliant yesterday. Just constantly on it and his pass on Di Resta in Germany was amongst the season's best IMO.

#24 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:39

Ferrari favours this guy and that guy and blah blah blah blah. Just because Kimi got beaten by Massa more often than not it didn't mean he drove a go kart for those three years. It was a different sport back then with low fuel loads and tyres that lasted. Massa was very good at that.

#25 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:43

If Kimi should return to Ferrari he will have to improve his game outside the car. With his former work ethics he will always be the No.2 when the engineers want feedback or driver input. Alonso has surely won the hearts of the team this season. He stood by them at the start of the season, he motivated them and worked with them to improve the car and he drove fantastic so far. I doubt any No.2 would be really equal to Alonso at Ferrari at the moment.

#26 Wander

Wander

• 2,273 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:46

In the unlikely scenario where Kimi was offered a Ferrari seat beside Alonso, I think it would be a big risk to accept it. Ferrari's cars in the recent years have not been championship winners. It looks like they might be on the right direction now, but it's hard to say if they will be any better next year.

#27 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:51

He shouldn't go but given the option he should.

Nando will own him, sorry.

#28 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:01

From the current results, I'm surprised that not many of you guys would personally take up the challenge of facing Alonso or lets say a mega tough competitor to prove your ownself in this game... so did you guys also think Jenson was too crazy to join Lewis ? Or is it more that Alonso is such a strong character that you will psychologically loose to him whatever your comitment (and with the speed of Kimi as I mentioned!) ? :well:

I don't think Alonso enters too much in Kimi's thoughts. Kimi must know better than anyone how much more resources are behind Ferrari as compare to Lotus, which is what gives you a good chance to win titles. I am sure Alonso was also very comfortable in Renault, but even after his title in 2006 he decided to move to McLaren. It is only logical that you come to F1 with a mentality to win. Otherwise, you are in the wrong place.

Kimi will come back no matter his grudges against LdM. Not many drivers have a second chance with the main teams. It is really up to LdM to let him in again, and I hope Domenicalli can convince him.

I would like to think that it would be a close call between Alonso and Kimi, but maybe not until the second half of the year. Kimi has an incredible pace and his qualifying results against Massa only showed, IMO, that Massa is a great qualifier when he gets a car that fits him like a glove.

#29 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:02

And now my personal opinion of the outcome.
Alonso will beat him simply because he is a better all around driver who can extract the maximum performance when the car is not perfect to drive, cold tires, hot tires, steering issues, no gears, you name it.. He will always be at every race fighting for the top spots even when the car drives like crap. Kimi on the other hand has a small operating window for when he is really fast.
There is no guarantee that ferrari will have a car ready for kimi that will be just like he likes for 20 races in a season and more importantly that will remain the same throughout the race, specially if Alonso can take the same car to the front.

It will be a struggle for kimi where he will need to adapt, as opposed to what his fans want to believe which is that the team has to always adapt to the driver. They may do this when that is all they have, but with Alonso on the second seat I doubt it.
While Kimi adapts, Alonso will be beating him clearly..

#30 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:06

Posted Image

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This is the hardest I have laughed on forums this year!
Thanks for the laugh, desdi! :up: :up: I forgive you for the post you wrote on Saturday! :p

#31 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:11

..give my fans and his all the answers they have always been looking for through indirect teamates comparisons. ..

I don't think this is that straightforward. Drivers have different driving styles, different strengths, different weakness (nobody is all-conquering omni-potent). This means if you have the same cars, it does not mean they are equivalent cars for both the drivers. Hamilton and Alonso at McLaren as opposed to being at Renault, Montoya and Kimi at Williams as opposed to being at McLaren. Even within the same team one driver has had clear upper hand one year, and the other driver in another year. It is competition in true sense.

Edited by SpaMaster, 30 July 2012 - 15:23.

#32 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,393 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:17

Why would Ferrari get rid of Massa and bring Kimi? It´s not like Kimi´d do a much better job than Massa as we saw in their last 3 years together, and Kimi´s paycheck must be like x5 of Massa´s

#33 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:31

How about this: Button gets the ferrari seat and Kimi flies to mclaren ?

#34 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:32

it would be great face-palm for ferrari to bring him back....

when they ditched him there primary accusation was he was not team leader,don't motivate engineering team etc. etc...not his driving ability... even LDM admitted he was a great driver...
so what would be their excuse to bring him again...??..they can't prove/disprove kimi has changed and acquired those abilities....

kimi should stay in lotus...

as far him vs. alonso,kimi will beat alonso only if his car suits him perfectly,while alonso has to improvise race to race....in the scenario when the car suits neither or both,alonso will come out at top by a margin..

Edited by aray, 30 July 2012 - 15:33.

#35 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:36

It wouldn't make sense for Kimi to go to Ferrari, It wouldn't make sense for Ferrari to bring back Kimi. So yeah, If I was Kimi I'd stay at Lotus.

And regarding Alonso vs. Kimi, I think it's likely Alonso would have the upper hand, even with sheer equal treatment. Still, I don't think the difference would be much.

#36 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:43

Kimi shouldn't even consider it. Ferrari has gone back to their old ways of #1 driver and they may have a contratual obligation in that regard. However, even if that was not the case, I would prefer it if Kimi didn't go anywhere near Ferrari. Kimi followed Prost as an admired driver, and Ferrari treat them both the same way - like dirt - in my opinion. It was worse in the case of Kimi because he was their champion and continued to champion the team despite Ferrari's dismissive attitude toward him and their subsequent embrace of Alonso.

So I of course can never forgive Ferrari; 2 strikes and you are out and all that. I am in grave fear that another admired driver will end up there and I will have to find a way to deal with that. But for Kimi to go back...that would be beyond imaginable torture for me personally. :down: He should definetly stay at Lotus.

As for argument 3, Raikkonen would have the advantage over Alonso, all things equal. That is because Alonso is more emotional and quick on the draw, where as Kimi is less emotional and patient. However, Ferrari has returned to its day 1 - #1 driver policy and as I said, they may be bound to that agreement, so I don't think you can have parity at Ferrari at this time.

Edited by bourbon, 30 July 2012 - 15:51.

#37 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:52

Why would Ferrari get rid of Massa and bring Kimi? It´s not like Kimi´d do a much better job than Massa as we saw in their last 3 years together, and Kimi´s paycheck must be like x5 of Massa´s

Not only Kimi - anyone will do a much better job than Massa...

About paycheck - I dont think Kimi is 5x greater than Massa. He will probably want double of what he is getting currently tho

#38 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:53

Not sure.... as it is coming with the comments made by Stefano Domenicalli...
For sure Fernando in Ferrari is mighty strong. With Kimi in theory should be strong enough to score more points to WCC. Having said that, a bit reserved in what Stefano is willing to do to accommodate Kimi and Fernando in one garage. Could work, it is not as simple as Ferrari will keep Fernando as number one driver in any situation in near future, it will be wiser for Stefano to have two capable driver who could take WDC at ay give moment. So I say that it i a serious chance.

Question remains if Lotus wil produce faster car than Ferrari in 2013. At thie moment Lotus does look good, that is the crucial element.

#39 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,664 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:56

Ferrari only want a driver for one year, Kimi will not sign for only one year, this story is BS, I can't believe people want to talk about it.

Advertisement

#40 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,842 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:56

Ferrari has been playing catch up every early season since 2009, he'd have to sure they'd have a rocket ready for 2013 and politics wouldn't be a problem for him to return.

#41 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:57

Everyone near the top seems to be tipped for a Ferrari seat, why not Kimi (again), despite that I seriously doubt that.

Just recent names mentioned in association with that seat that I came accorss in several posts:

- Maldonado
- Vettel
- Schumacher
- Hamilton
- Kimi

Yet realistically no one knows what's Ferrari up to with Massa, and most assume that Massa is out in November. Strangely enough, if he is, Massa probably won't have any good seat in exchange.

Kimi is a pretty good racer, but Ferrari is wrong place for him to complete his career. Besides, I think he likes it with Renault.

Edited by Sakae, 30 July 2012 - 15:58.

#42 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 545 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:59

Kimi will stay at Lotus i think(and hope).Lotus is on the way up,Ferrari has never come where they was ten years ago.
If Lotus deliver like in Hungary the rest of the season Kimi will be WDC in his comebackseason.

#43 Wander

Wander

• 2,273 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 16:04

Question remains if Lotus wil produce faster car than Ferrari in 2013. At thie moment Lotus does look good, that is the crucial element.

Exactly, and that, to me, is the only thing that should matter. Money is irrelevant, the team name and team mate are also irrelevant matters. What is relevant is how competitive the driver is in the car he's driving. There is nothing to suggest that the Enstone team couldn't make as good a car as Ferrari next year. Of course they could also face similar faith to what happened to Brawn/Mercedes going to 2010, but then again they could bring an another fast car in for a second season in a row like they have done in the past (as Renault and as Benetton before that). Ferrari is just as prone to having a slump, we simply do not know what will happen!

Looking at the factors currently available to me, there is no reason to switch to Ferrari from Lotus. Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong, but honestly speaking, I don't even see the switch as a truly realistic possibility for next year

Edited by Wander, 30 July 2012 - 16:04.

#44 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:33

Kimi will stay at Lotus i think(and hope).Lotus is on the way up,Ferrari has never come where they was ten years ago.
If Lotus deliver like in Hungary the rest of the season Kimi will be WDC in his comebackseason.

Haha, seriously dude where have Lotus been since 2006 until this season? Alonso finished 9th (!) in the championship in the 2009 Renault... Last year they struggled to take a point. All those people thinking Hamilton is going there seriously need to have a word with reality.

#45 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:39

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This is the hardest I have laughed on forums this year!
Thanks for the laugh, desdi! :up: :up: I forgive you for the post you wrote on Saturday! :p

Haha. Cheers. I wish I could take credit for it, but I cant.
And yes, I was a silly nilly on Saturday :p

As for the rumors, Andrew Benson wrote this on his twitter yesterday:

Final word on Ferrari/Raikkonen. Unimpeachable source tells me it is "rubbish". No decision yet on second driver but Raikkonen not on list

But I guess that doesnt have to mean a lot in F1 these days. I personally hope he stays at Lotus. Only other team I would want him in right now is McLaren.

#46 Wander

Wander

• 2,273 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:42

Haha, seriously dude where have Lotus been since 2006 until this season? Alonso finished 9th (!) in the championship in the 2009 Renault... Last year they struggled to take a point. All those people thinking Hamilton is going there seriously need to have a word with reality.

Every team has had bad periods. Literally every single one of them.

#47 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:55

In the contract it might say number one but Luca di Montezemelo would make it known that Alonso is the number one driver, no way will he allow Kimi to come back after his ill thought and stupid comments about Kimi. Can you imagine Kimi coming back and beating the guy that he bought to replace him? Luca is too proud for that.

#48 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 18:09

Posted Image

This sums it up beautifully.

Although this is a pipe dream concocted by some journalist that wanted attention, I'll give it a go just because it's 4 weeks before the next F1 race.

Kimi's and FA's personalities and behavior inside a team are fundamentally different. FA is a much more political driver and much more suited to Ferrari's atmosphere (idea of family, ski-trips, PR, blah, blah). So, even if there isn't already a written agreement of No. 1 status (which, after what happened at McLaren, there is a good chance FA demanded at certain point with Ferrari), FA has already made sure that the team is aligned behind him. Furthermore, Kimi is the exact opposite to Ferrari's culture if you want: colder, less passionate, few words, nordic temperament, non-political, so right there we have a mis-fit between team and driver.
In short, there is no way, legal or emotional, that there would be equal treatment between FA and KR at Ferrari. Therefore, Kimi should stay put and Ferrari should look for the ever-evasive perfect No. 2...

#49 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 18:17

Kimi should go to Ferrari if LdM is retiring and a different company is taking over funding from Santander. Otherwise, there's no way he's going there and all this speculation is obvious just bargaining tactics.

However, If LdM is retiring and Santander will no longer be the main sponsor, then Kimi SHOULD go to Ferrari, as it might actually be more fundamentally unbiased conditions, because at Lotus the team principal is the other driver's damn manager (Boulier is Grosjean's manager and personally may profit as much or more from Grosjean doing well relative to Kimi as he does from Lotus doing well absolutely).

#50 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 18:25

Kimi at Ferrari again... Not a chance.

Their cars have also tended to be understeery. Kimi will have a nightmare and Alonso will chew him and spit him out under those conditions just as he is Massa now.