Photo

Anthony Hamilton v Di Resta

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:05

Hamilton, the father of Lewis Hamilton, has brought a case for wrongful termination of contract and loss of earnings, while di Resta alleges he dismissed Hamilton after learning he had been misled over a multi-million pound deal with the Energy Drink company Go Fast

http://www.telegraph...l-di-Resta.html

Controversy and the hamiltons, constant bedfellows

Edited by robefc, 30 July 2012 - 22:06.

Advertisement

#2 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:09

di resta needs to worry about his pace compared to Hulkenberg more than a few quid.He's got a long career to get that money back, but wouldn't look as good if Hulk beats him over the season.

#3 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:14

di resta needs to worry about his pace compared to Hulkenberg more than a few quid.He's got a long career to get that money back, but wouldn't look as good if Hulk beats him over the season.

Can i mess with your money and see how you like it, eh ?

#4 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:17

Can i mess with your money and see how you like it, eh ?

I think a jury / judge will decide whether any "mess"ing has gone on, until then we only have allegations. I think people should keep that in mind as making statements such as he did / has incorrectly handled Di Resta's money - if Hamilton wins his case you could be liable for a defamation lawsuit!

Edited by pinkypants, 30 July 2012 - 22:19.

#5 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:17

to be stolen 1 million euros has nothing to do with his pace baby. "A few quid" lol. So he gets ripped off and must shut up because of his driving? Amazing.

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:18

I didn't think GoFast were that big.

#7 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

I think a jury / judge will decide whether any "mess"ing has gone on, until then we only have allegations. I think people should keep that in mind as making statements such as he did / has incorrectly handled Di Resta's money is essentially defamation.

In fairness Di Resta hasn't said anything about it as far as I know publicly, although obviously not sure where the journo has got the allegations from.

Edited by robefc, 30 July 2012 - 22:19.

#8 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Go Team Hamilton! I've always wanted a proper reason to dislike di resta, other than him being the dullest man alive, and here it is!

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:20

Well, you just echo what Paul has already said himself in that article: "I am fully focused on my racing. At the end of the day it is results that count for me and that is what will drive me forward, we have had a good year up to now and our aim is to carry that forward.”

#10 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:21

I think a jury / judge will decide whether any "mess"ing has gone on, until then we only have allegations. I think people should keep that in mind as making statements such as he did / has incorrectly handled Di Resta's money - if Hamilton wins his case you could be liable for a defamation lawsuit!

Keep telling yourself these things.

#11 P123

P123

• 23,966 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:22

So di Resta should ignore his belief that he has been misled over finances because he qualified 0.15s slower than his teammate in Hungary; because that belief is somehow affecting his driving....? I'm sure he's capable of dealing with both, including other things such as walking, brushing his teeth, shopping for food, living etc, etc.

#12 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:24

Keep telling yourself these things.

I am saying it as a warning to others as this is an open legal case in an English court - I'll refer it to the mods as ultimately the autosport forums that may end up being liable as they are giving people a platform to air their views :)

#13 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,025 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:41

Hamilton, the father of Lewis Hamilton, has brought a case for wrongful termination of contract and loss of earnings, while di Resta alleges he dismissed Hamilton after learning he had been misled over a multi-million pound deal with the Energy Drink company Go Fast

Go Fast? The same company that sponsored Matthew Wilson and Henning Solberg in WRC. For... one race. Then suddently all the cash just went away.

#14 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:42

When the news of their split became public i happened a short while after to be speaking to someone who, whilst not connected, was privy to what i'll call, for want of a better word, gossip, what others might call, the grapevine, when it came up in conversation i was told that it was "all about the money"

Anthony Hamilton has been involved with, lets say more than a few, business enterprises that no longer exist, including an F1 drinks company that never took off and ceased trading, in fact i think i posted something about that one previously, probably around the time Lewis came out with his "They're a drinks company" quote.

Having been told what i've been told, I'd be putting my money on PDR.

#15 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:45

Go Fast? The same company that sponsored Matthew Wilson and Henning Solberg in WRC. For... one race. Then suddently all the cash just went away.

Well, they Went Fast :D

#16 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:49

I am saying it as a warning to others as this is an open legal case in an English court - I'll refer it to the mods as ultimately the autosport forums that may end up being liable as they are giving people a platform to air their views :)

good luck with that cowboy, and welcome to the internet.

#17 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:09

to be stolen 1 million euros has nothing to do with his pace baby. "A few quid" lol. So he gets ripped off and must shut up because of his driving? Amazing.

stolen you mean to deprive a person of the ownership/use of what is theirs?
clearly Di Resta did not have any of that money and from what we hear neither did anyone else so no stealing of anything but to haters.
BTW you cant see how his performance could impact on his worth to advertisers?
At best (for haters) you have a manager not maximising the worth of their client at worst for you a driver too imature to recognise his perfomance effects his worth to others!!
fact is most likely between those two options and/or a simple counter suite to try to deflect the fact he wanted more than he was worth and had to blame anyone other than himself and his performance

Edited by itsademo, 30 July 2012 - 23:13.

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:14

wtf are you talking about

#19 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:15

Theres no shortage of stupid things said on here, but this just trumped them all.

Advertisement

#20 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:39

he is pretty tedious to listen to, imo

#21 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:42

That's exactly what I was thinking about

#22 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:52

stolen you mean to deprive a person of the ownership/use of what is theirs?
clearly Di Resta did not have any of that money and from what we hear neither did anyone else so no stealing of anything but to haters.
BTW you cant see how his performance could impact on his worth to advertisers?
At best (for haters) you have a manager not maximising the worth of their client at worst for you a driver too imature to recognise his perfomance effects his worth to others!!
fact is most likely between those two options and/or a simple counter suite to try to deflect the fact he wanted more than he was worth and had to blame anyone other than himself and his performance

This, plus this...

The situation is made more delicate by the fact that Di Resta has been taking guidance from the Sports Partnership, a company set up by Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren team-mate Jenson Button and his manager Richard Goddard.

DiResta simply wanted out of the contract - pastures new and all that. Trying to counter sue is a just a red herring.

#23 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:15

Go Team Hamilton! I've always wanted a proper reason to dislike di resta, other than him being the dullest man alive, and here it is!

Ive never liked him either, never felt like I needed a reason, he just has a face that needs a punch, I fast forward through interviews with him where possible!

#24 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:33

2nd season in a row a Force India driver has taken a Hamilton off his xmas card list :p

#25 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:57

wtf are you talking about

do you really need me to explain what to most is clear?

the first line is to define what theft is
the second line explains why from what we have heard it appears Di Resta has not had anything he owns taken from him hence stolen is certainly the wrong word.
the last few lines explain (IMHO) what could be going on.
remember my post was in reply to this post

I hope that clears up any confusion you have.

#26 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:06

The situation is made more delicate by the fact that Di Resta has been taking guidance from the Sports Partnership, a company set up by Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren team-mate Jenson Button and his manager Richard Goddard.

DiResta simply wanted out of the contract - pastures new and all that. Trying to counter sue is a just a red herring.

:up:
From the information we have I think you could be right.
After all i would expect there to be penalties for DR to pay to break his contract unless he is able to prove negligence/incompetance/wrong doing by AH.

#27 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,611 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17

I'm a bit confused by the article. Is the complaint from Di Resta that:

a. Hamilton snr failed to secure the Go Fast contract; or

b. Hamilton snr claimed to Di Resta that it would cost €2m to buy back his image rights from FI, whereas FI said it would cost only €1m - ie Hamilton intended to take €2m off Di Resta, give €1m to FI and trouser the remaining €1m?

If the former, I struggle to see where the case is.

If the latter, "After hearing nothing for some time" rather suggests that Hamilton snr wasn't doing much to put his nefarious plan into action.

Seems possible to me that FI gave an answer of €2m first time asked, got no response for a while so decided to lower the price on second time of asking in the hope of getting paid.

#28 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:28

b. Hamilton snr claimed to Di Resta that it would cost €2m to buy back his image rights from FI, whereas FI said it would cost only €1m - ie Hamilton intended to take €2m off Di Resta, give €1m to FI and trouser the remaining €1m?

If the latter, "After hearing nothing for some time" rather suggests that Hamilton snr wasn't doing much to put his nefarious plan into action.

Seems possible to me that FI gave an answer of €2m first time asked, got no response for a while so decided to lower the price on second time of asking in the hope of getting paid.

Most likely explanation.

I feel sure it wasn't Anthony trying something on, anyway.

#29 amppatel

amppatel

• 525 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:29

I would tell you why I'm the dullest man but I'd rather not go into the details...

#30 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:32

On a sidenote, "not doing much" would fit well with my impression that the main purpose of A. Hamiltons connection with diResta was to keep himself around in the paddock and somewhat close to his son. It was already a bit comical last year, when the most publicly reported action of diResta's then manager all 2011 was him supporting another well known driver before the stewards in Monaco. ;)

Edited by as65p, 31 July 2012 - 08:43.

#31 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:36

This is rather embarrassing for A. Hamilton. He should have tried to handle the matter on the down low, through arbitration or something. Making the whole thing into a public scandal is ridiculous and looks bad on him.

Edited by bourbon, 31 July 2012 - 08:38.

#32 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:41

Dunno. Last time AH was in the paddock before Hungary was China. Apparently this all went down in China. A driver, with his manager present, having to go to the team and ask what was the holdup on a deal doesn't suggest FI simply changed the price

#33 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,611 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:42

On a sidenote, "not doing much" would fit well with ...

GoFast not progressing with the contract negotiations, making there be little to no point in progressing negotiations with FI for the purchase of image rights to enable the conclusion of the GoFast contract. Which would also fit well with people's impression here that GoFast were highly unlikely to pay that kind of money to sponsor a driver.

I have no idea what happened. But the papers filed so far (at least to the extent reported on) give little impression of any certainty as to what was going on at all.

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12

I can't quite see how this is anyway embarrassing for Anthony Hamilton personally. He's a business man and a deal wasn't reached, so what? If this goes the other way of course, it could end up looking very embarrassing for Paul and very costly financially. Its difficult to make a judgment on this when so little info is yet in the public domain. Enjoying reading the predictable biased theories though lol.

#35 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12

Good on Sr Hamilton. I never liked Paul Di Resta, there's something creepy about him. My bet is, he became friends with Jenson Button and wanted to switch manager and came with a supid excuse to do so.

#36 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:27

This is rather embarrassing for A. Hamilton. He should have tried to handle the matter on the down low, through arbitration or something. Making the whole thing into a public scandal is ridiculous and looks bad on him.

Jenson, through his management company, is involved. Jenson is a past master in wriggling out of contracts, so my take is DiResta is just making a counter claim, spurious though it seems and is besmurching AH's reputation in the process.

Very poor form indeed :down:

#37 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:30

Jenson, through his management company, is involved. Jenson is a past master in wriggling out of contracts, so my take is DiResta is just making a counter claim, spurious though it seems and is besmurching AH's reputation in the process.

Very poor form indeed :down:

he's defending himself in a suit filled by AH ... it's poor form to state your case when you are being sued? Cmon

#38 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:41

he's defending himself in a suit filled by AH ... it's poor form to state your case when you are being sued? Cmon

:up: I'm firmly in the "DiResta is a dullard" camp, and fed up of Sky almost constantly interviewing him, I dont even think he's that great a driver, certainly not worthy of the hype, but then we've seen that before.

That said, he's more than entitled to defend himself, and i hope he does, by the way, was it my imagination or was that Telegraph article edited to remove the name of company based in Grenada ?.

#39 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 13:09

That and he's completely over rated. Had his ass handed to him by Sutil and now Hulkenberg. :up:

Advertisement

#40 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 13:27

That and he's completely over rated. Had his ass handed to him by Sutil and now Hulkenberg. :up:

27 points vs 19 points...

Di Resta is more consistent than Hulkenberg at the moment.

#41 d246

d246

• 1,050 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:06

27 points vs 19 points...

Di Resta is more consistent than Hulkenberg at the moment.

One of the strongest pairings on the grid in my opinion. Can't believe DIR is facing criticism for being one of the very few who bother to go out their way on the grid to help the television pundits help the fans! The team are certainly delighted with him and I would imagine the sponsers are glad to have someone who is half articulate and presentable.

#42 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:31

I'd agree, they are both doing a great job is a car that isn't really that great, fighting for points with the factory Mercedes team is no mean feat.

Chandock got the same kind of negative press for being media savvy and being willing to talk to the press so much.
People moan if the drivers talk and moan if they don't, they can't win.

Edited by johnmhinds, 31 July 2012 - 16:34.

#43 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,597 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:44

Can't imagine anyone hiring Hamilton as their manager again after this.

This makes it seem that he either did something wrong, or he was so untrusted by his client they thought he was doing something wrong. Either way he looks bad.

He could have just let everyone assume that DiResta has just chosen to go with Button's management as they spend time together training etc. and had his ear bent.

#44 P123

P123

• 23,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:54

Scored more points than Sutil in latter half of 2011, currently ahead of the highly rated Hulkenberg in the WDC...... hey, at least you gave yourself the thumbs up for extra reassurance.

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:55

This makes it seem that he either did something wrong, or he was so untrusted by his client they thought he was doing something wrong. Either way he looks bad.

He could have just let everyone assume that DiResta has just chosen to go with Button's management as they spend time together training etc. and had his ear bent.

Well it depends what comes out about it. We have a dodgy sponsor involved and VJ Mallya.

Though I don't see Anthony as a natural driver manager anyway so it won't be a loss in that way afaic; I'd like him to start a GP3 team or something.

#46 P123

P123

• 23,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:58

:up: I'm firmly in the "DiResta is a dullard" camp, and fed up of Sky almost constantly interviewing him, I dont even think he's that great a driver, certainly not worthy of the hype, but then we've seen that before.

That said, he's more than entitled to defend himself, and i hope he does, by the way, was it my imagination or was that Telegraph article edited to remove the name of company based in Grenada ?.

Hold on, your a Kimi fan, labelling another driver a 'dullard'...... :drunk:

As for the Telegraph article, the original reference to the Grenada based company and the value of money said to have been transfered to it has been removed from the article.

#47 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:58

This!

DiResta has gone way down in my estimations for besmirching AH.

At least Button had the class and grace to buy himself out of his contract without resorting to underhand tactics.

#48 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:16

Hold on, your a Kimi fan, labelling another driver a 'dullard'...... :drunk:

As for the Telegraph article, the original reference to the Grenada based company and the value of money said to have been transfered to it has been removed from the article.

Cheers, it wasn't my imagination then.

As for PDR "besmirching" AH, I find it laughable that mounting a legal defense in response to being sued in the High Court is viewed as besmirching AH.

#49 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:32

One of the strongest pairings on the grid in my opinion. Can't believe DIR is facing criticism for being one of the very few who bother to go out their way on the grid to help the television pundits help the fans! The team are certainly delighted with him and I would imagine the sponsers are glad to have someone who is half articulate and presentable.

:up:

Have to agree. Perhaps not the "strongest" pairing but I'd say the most equal.

#50 P123

P123

• 23,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:36

This!

DiResta has gone way down in my estimations for besmirching AH.

At least Button had the class and grace to buy himself out of his contract without resorting to underhand tactics.

Oh, you mean the JB who had the class and grace to sign for two teams at the same time....

As for besmirching; I'm sure di Resta is well within his rights to defend the case AH has brought against him. If there are some things that make uncomfortable reading for either party then that's just the way it goes in such disputes.

Edited by P123, 31 July 2012 - 17:38.