Photo

Gary Anderson vs Martin Brundle

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is more knowledgeable (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Analyst rated

1. Martin Brundle for sure (35 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. Gary Anderson (42 votes [44.21%])

Percentage of vote: 44.21%

3. Ted Kravitz (11 votes [11.58%])

Percentage of vote: 11.58%

4. Other (7 votes [7.37%])

Percentage of vote: 7.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:48

I don't have Sky so can't say what Brundle is like on there but I remember his informative contributions on both ITV & BBC - top notch!

That said, Gary Anderson is super knowledgable and very intuitive. The guy is very valuable and gets my vote.

What do others think?

Advertisement

#2 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:51

hardly comparable..

knowledgeable about what?

#3 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:51

Why are you comparing Brundle to Anderson?

Surely it should be Kravtiz and Anderson? That said, Anderson any day of the week. In my humble opinion, Kravitz is a 'wannabe' technical reporter, whilst Anderson has had the experience (being a TD at Jordan) and can pick up on a lot more things that Kravitz can't :).

#4 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:55

Gary Anderson is a technical person, and one of the most-likeable and most-knowledgeable at the same time

#5 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:57

Posted Image

Y NO INCLUDEZ ME IN UR POLLZ?

#6 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 16:58

Comparing Brundle with Anderson is stupid, they do two different jobs, as other people have said compare Kravitz with Anderson, Coulthard is Brundle's BBC alternative imo and I would say that Coulthard is probably slightly more knowledgeable due to having driven more recently but not to any meaningful degree, I'd still take Brundle over Coulthard any day of the week.

#7 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:11

Its a bit silly comparing a man who designed F1 cars and has a wealth of technical knowledge to an ex driver like Brundle and who hasn't driven an F1 car competitively for over 15 years.

Like others have said the comparison's should betwen Anderson vs Kravitz and then Coulthard vs Brundle.

Anderson everytime.

Coulthard everytime.

#8 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:14

Anderson everytime.

Coulthard everytime.

Absolutely :up: .

#9 Chewie

Chewie

• 111 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:22

Martin Brundle every time, it's not even a close call. Martin is a natural commentator, Gary Anderson maybe a lovely bloke but he often comes across as a deer caught in the headlights.

#10 Icicle

Icicle

• 547 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:31

Gary Anderson.

Very impressed with his commentary he did for STAR Sports last year. His commentary was millions better than some of technical articles he has written for autosport magazine. I'll pick him over current **** bags currently doing commentary for STAR Sports.

#11 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:33

All three in the poll fulfill different roles.

#12 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 576 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:35

Is it really a fair comparison? Gary Anderson designed F1 cars and has been involved in the technical side of them for his whole career. Brundle drove F1 cars. He's not what I would call a technical expert as Anderson is.

#13 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:47

Brundle. He´s the best calling the side by side stuff, that´s all I care when I´m watching a race. Leave technical stuff for previews/reviews, I want to know what´s going on in the race strategy wise -Brundle keeps you up to date as well as anyone- and I want the racy moments to get alive.

#14 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:48

Weirdly, even the more logical Anderson Vs Kravitz is misleading.
Kravitz is far better at getting in race "scoops" (perhaps better contacts with people in the teams...?) whereas Anderson tends to just give his view from a technical stand point (which is, more often than not, accurate).
Both are equally as valuable to their respective employers.

#15 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 17:48

I don't have Sky so can't say what Brundle is like on there but I remember his informative contributions on both ITV & BBC - top notch!

That said, Gary Anderson is super knowledgable and very intuitive. The guy is very valuable and gets my vote.

What do others think?

I can't understand a word he says...

#16 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:00

Anderson over Kravitz (who is also excellent) just.

#17 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:07

Yeah Anderson over Kravitz for me too. Ted is a good presenter and good at getting gossip and worming his way into conversations etc. Anderson provides a technical analysis based on his experience and is something I would much rather listen to personally with one over the other. If the F1 coverage were to go back on the BBC as the sole provider, I could see Ted and Gary fulfilling different roles as both are valuable IMO. On the presenting front I would much rather have DC and Edwards and I can't say I've missed Brundle this season and I originally thought I would. He's still a good commentator, but I have enjoyed the change the BBC have delivered.

#18 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:19

As others have said, Brundle and Anderson do different jobs.

However, Anderson >>> Kravitz every time. Nothing against Ted, but gary is excellent every time he starts on the technical details, I really enjoy his pieces and analysis.

Best thing about the BBC :up:

#19 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:42

Martin Brundle for me but Gary is very very good too.

although that said, a 'Brundle' & 'Anderson' line up would be the 2nd best EVER!

(Best being Murray and James of course)

Advertisement

#20 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:50

Anderson everytime.

Coulthard everytime.

Having watched Sky for the last 2 races, I have to agree with you there.

#21 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 19:53

Why are you comparing Brundle to Anderson?

Surely it should be Kravtiz and Anderson? That said, Anderson any day of the week. In my humble opinion, Kravitz is a 'wannabe' technical reporter, whilst Anderson has had the experience (being a TD at Jordan) and can pick up on a lot more things that Kravitz can't :).

Indeed. Anderson should be compared with Kravtiz. And Kravtiz wins by miles simply because he has better voice. Anderson's voice is so annoyingly quiet and non understandable that I perffer to watch races on some crappy stream from Sky rather than from higher quality BBC.

#22 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 20:08

I know people who have previously worked with Gary on a few jobs. Based on their comments, and based on what I've heard from him since being on BBC then he wins.... by a long way.

Ted is a presenter, his background is in media. Gary is an engineer. That's all you need to know when deciding on something like this.

#23 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 20:20

Y NO INCLUDEZ ME IN UR POLLZ?

He's busy at the Olympics - actually heard him earlier today commentating on women's (non-beach) volleyball.

#24 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 20:58

Not a proper comparison so no vote from me.

#25 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 21:07

Martin Brundle has a lot of common knowledge and defies logic by putting difficult aspects into easy context for viewers but saying that: he ain't no engy.

Gary Anderson: smartass. He's very suitable for articles but presenting it in normal language is not quite his piece of cake.

Ted Kravitz is a very good presenter like Brundle but he has not the complete knowledge of Anderson.

Put them together and you have gold.

PS: I voted for Brundle to mess with you. Oops, I accidentally your poll :cat:

Edited by Jejking, 31 July 2012 - 21:08.

#26 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 21:43

OP didn't really explain what we're comparing them on...

Both Brundle and Kravtiz have been doing their presenting jobs for 15 years now so as you'd expect they are far better at presenting information than Gary Anderson is.

But Gary Anderson is obviously more knowledgeable.

And he designed this so he wins by default.

Posted Image

#27 R420

R420

• 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 21:44

How can you compare Gary and Martin, they both do entirely different jobs.
Gary would be no good as a commentator and Martin would be no good as a Technical Analyst.

Edit: The 21 of you who voted for Martin, I think you need to learn what a "technical expert" is.

Edited by R420, 31 July 2012 - 21:46.

#28 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 21:46

larry mac :D

#29 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 22:01

How can you compare Gary and Martin, they both do entirely different jobs.
Gary would be no good as a commentator and Martin would be no good as a Technical Analyst.

Edit: The 21 of you who voted for Martin, I think you need to learn what a "technical expert" is.

I guess I still view Brundle as the technical expert from way back when. I used to value his technical input more than his commentating abilities.

Martin, for me, was very good at interpretating data and reading the race, strategy and technical stuff.

You could say Ted does all that stuff, but I still see Ted as the Junior next to the likes of Allen & Louise Goodman. He is very good, but I'd rather have Brundle over him.

Martin & Gary are on a level. With Gary I don't miss Martin.

#30 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 22:09

I guess I still view Brundle as the technical expert from way back when.

When? He's only ever been the colour commentator or main commentator as far as I am aware. James Allen was in the pit lane before he moved indoors to sit alongside Martin and made way for Ted.

This whole comparison makes no sense to me at all because even if he did do some tech reporting from the pits, it was so long ago nobody is going to be able to remember in order to vote.

#31 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 22:50

Anderson everytime.

Coulthard everytime.

:up:

#32 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 00:32

Not a good comparison as the rest have said. But I do prefer Gary over Ted. Ted at BBC was like what Natalie is doing over at Sky and that suited him better. Martin should have stayed at BBC but I guess he looked for his best interests.

#33 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:18

No comparison here but on a separate note,Anderson is very very good..He knows his stuff and most of his analysis/predictions right on track when he was commentating for Star last year.

#34 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:51

Its a bit silly comparing a man who designed F1 cars and has a wealth of technical knowledge to an ex driver like Brundle and who hasn't driven an F1 car competitively for over 15 years.

Like others have said the comparison's should betwen Anderson vs Kravitz and then Coulthard vs Brundle.

Anderson everytime.

Coulthard everytime.

+1
Was/am a big fan of Brundle but last year when paired with DC highlighted his short comings imo, DC is just more current and has a better understanding of modern F1
Again was big fan of Kravitz, who was massively under used on the beeb, but Anderson has been a revelation this year. When asked technical questions during GPs anderson comes out with opinions and theories which are insightfull and 99% of the time correct. While Ted says he will have to ask the teams, slopes off, and comes back with some vague non-explanation from said team. Andersons drop zone qually time predictions are spot on too, i just dont understand the "he doesnt look good on tv" stuff, what do people want? him to turn up in a mini skirt and a blonde wig or something?