Photo

Your opinion on the best driver today and the last 20 years?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
460 replies to this topic

Poll: Your opinion on the best driver today and the last 20 years? (449 member(s) have cast votes)

Best driver today

1. Alonso (268 votes [59.69%])

Percentage of vote: 59.69%

2. Schumacher (17 votes [3.79%])

Percentage of vote: 3.79%

3. Hamilton (81 votes [18.04%])

Percentage of vote: 18.04%

4. Vettel (19 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

5. Kimi (59 votes [13.14%])

Percentage of vote: 13.14%

6. Button (2 votes [0.45%])

Percentage of vote: 0.45%

7. Other (3 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

Best driver of the last 20 years.

1. Senna (133 votes [29.62%])

Percentage of vote: 29.62%

2. Prost (34 votes [7.57%])

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

3. Schumacher (168 votes [37.42%])

Percentage of vote: 37.42%

4. Alonso (47 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

5. Hill (2 votes [0.45%])

6. Mikka H. (12 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

7. Kimi (22 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

8. JV (2 votes [0.45%])

9. Lewis (22 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

10. Vettel (1 votes [0.22%])

Percentage of vote: 0.22%

11. Button (1 votes [0.22%])

Percentage of vote: 0.22%

12. Mansell (2 votes [0.45%])

13. Other (3 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

Vote

#1 discover23

discover23

• 3,906 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:02

Simple. Let's see what people think... We have a long way to go until the next race.

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,479 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:11

Simple. Let's see what people think... We have a long way to go until the next race.

It looks like that :D

20 is a strange cut off IMHO with e.g. just the tail of Senna's, Prost's and Mansell's career.

#3 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:11

My perception is that at the moment Alonso, Räikkönen, Hamilton and Vettel are all close, but with recent form I might have to lean towards Alonso. Not sure.

#4 discover23

discover23

• 3,906 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:15

It looks like that :D

20 is a strange cut off IMHO with e.g. just the tail of Senna's, Prost's and Mansell's career.

My intention was not for who accomplished more in the last 20 years but who was, in your opinion, the best driver that you saw race in the last 20 years. Of course this can be the same driver and accomplishments is obviously a very important argument to support your view.

Edited by discover23, 01 August 2012 - 23:22.

#5 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:15

I'm not a fan of Alonso or Schumacher, but they are the best out there. that's why I voted for them.

As a Williams hardcore fan I used to hate Schumi after his move on JV in 97. But then he dominated the sport and he competed against the best drivers like Senna, Prost, Alesi, Hill, Mika, Kimi, DC. And he beat the most of them. He competed at a high level in an era where talent was the primary factor in F1 and broke all the records.

Fernando, I hate his arrogance and selfishness, but dear God tha man is a magician behind the wheel. He beat the best who is Michael in 2 seasons where he had good car. He's very consistent point scorer, rarely DNFs and he's so strong mentally.

The truth hurts... but that's it!

#6 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:28

^I refuse to vote for Schumacher, but I kinda agree with your points.

#7 Cult

Cult

• 461 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:36

Alonso/Hamilton are the best, Hamilton needs to carry his maturity through and some more though to be better than Alonso.

Schumacher is the most complete F1 driver ever. Not as quick as Senna but better in other ways. Schumacher is a long shadow of his former self although he's still respectable.

#8 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,338 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:39

Difficult not to say Schumacher really. I think people expected Hamilton to win everything year after year after 2007, which hasn't really happened. He's still the most naturally talented driver since senna though I think, may even surpass senna in outright pace. Alonso is like a Latin version of Schumacher. Equally relentless but with a bit more flair

#9 tabovilla

tabovilla

• 72 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:50

Recent years, ALO.
Last 10 years, Schumi.
Last 20 years, Schumi comes through also.
Last 30 years, grey area, lots of great people here, Prost, Senna, Piquet..

#10 discover23

discover23

• 3,906 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 23:58

Difficult not to say Schumacher really. I think people expected Hamilton to win everything year after year after 2007, which hasn't really happened. He's still the most naturally talented driver since senna though I think, may even surpass senna in outright pace. Alonso is like a Latin version of Schumacher. Equally relentless but with a bit more flair

I find a lot of differences between Shumi and Alonso, just to name a few,
1. Alonso is a clean racer, rarely making contact with his oponents - the same cannot be said about MSC.
2. Schumacher tends to go over the limit leading to more mistakes and DNFs, Alonso is more consistent and always in the zone.

#11 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:00

Sebastien Loeb.

#12 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,743 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:19

1. Alonso is a clean racer, rarely making contact with his oponents - the same cannot be said about MSC.
2. Schumacher tends to go over the limit leading to more mistakes and DNFs, Alonso is more consistent and always in the zone.

Schumacher tended to go over the limit in years a DF didn't mean a big setback in the world championship. Cars were not reliable and the point system favored the race winners . You could throw your car in the barriers and with a win in the next race everything was all right (if the mercedes engine of your biggest opponent blew up like it did from time to time). It was possible to take a risk and drive on the edge. I really think that was Michael biggest strength his no matter what mentality. Sometimes he lost the car and sometimes he showed his magic.

Fernando and Michael have a lot in common but in this aspect the are really different. Nowadays under the new point system and the bullet proof reliability of the cars consistency is the key. Fernando is the master in this aspect

What I want to say different areas different approaches to win. We don't know if Fernando would have driven differently in the 90's because of the circumstances.

#13 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:52

23.33% (ATM) voted Alonso to be the best in the past 20 years.

Oh dear :drunk: .

#14 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:54

Schumacher is a long shadow of his former self although he's still respectable.

That is harsh. Stick him in a top car and he'll shock most people, even at the ripe old age of fourty-three.

#15 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,174 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 00:59

I'm not a fan of Alonso or Schumacher, but they are the best out there. that's why I voted for them.

He competed at a high level in an era where talent was the primary factor in F1 and broke all the records.

The truth hurts... but that's it!

There no such an era, the car has always been fundamental over talent, except for romantics and people in need of human heroes ;) of course.
As for the selfishness.... every driver is selfish, this is a 1 man sport like it or not. Arrogance? I wonder where you see arrogance, I've seen dozens of interviews in the last few years and he's been looking even prudent and realistic, but arrogant?

Edited by Nitropower, 02 August 2012 - 01:02.

#16 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:12

Hamilton,he already beat Alonso in his prime as a rookie.

And Schumacher,last 20 years means from 92 onwards so that's only 2 years for Senna and 1? for Prost so I don't know how they qualify.

#17 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:25

Hamilton
Prost

#18 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:03

Voted other in both cases. :stoned:

I subscribe to 'there are couple of top drivers theory'. And in that i like Alonso.

#19 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:08

Alonso
Schumacher or Prost... too close to call.

Advertisement

#20 kal-el

kal-el

• 74 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:38

Alonso and Schumacher.
No brainer, really

#21 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:41

Alonso/Hamilton are the best, Hamilton needs to carry his maturity through and some more though to be better than Alonso.

Schumacher is the most complete F1 driver ever. Not as quick as Senna but better in other ways. Schumacher is a long shadow of his former self although he's still respectable.

I would say the inverse. Senna is the most complete although Schumacher might have been faster than him on pure speed. Although, I think none of these 2 are on the level of Gilles or Clark.

For now, I easily vote for Alonso because the guy really is the most complete.

For the last 20 years, then it get's difficult to say.

Edited by BetaVersion, 02 August 2012 - 03:44.

#22 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,340 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:17

It is Michael Schumacher. His drives in the 1998-2000 season were his finest.

Alonso is near that level, we'll see if he can keep it going.

As for as speed, Ayrton Senna has take that crown. There will NEVER be another Monaco 1988 ever again where a driver was over 1 second faster than Alain Prost (who was also one heck of a quick driver himself).

#23 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:41

Alonso is getting the most out of his team IMO.

When we compare to Schumacher (the best over 20 seasons), he also failed to win the title for 4 seasons (!!) despite going close somtimes, other times injuries putting pressure on the team to perform to secure the title with two second tier drivers only. The modern Ferrari manager would have fired Schumacher by then perhaps--labelling constant failures a disgrace no doubt, but the persistence was a winning formula and became a totally dominant combination. Perhaps Alonso will do the same? Being unable to overtake Petrov to win the WDC was an utter embarrassment, but certainly not as bad as deliberating crashing Jacques. In the future, Alonso a 5 times Ferrari WDC legend?

It is hard to attribute the mediocre form of 2011 simply to Alonso, just as Schumacher is not blamed for Ferrari's utterly dismal performance in 2005.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 02 August 2012 - 04:42.

#24 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:58

Hamilton fpr both questions as the question asks for the best and not the one winning the most titles.

#25 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:25

Even though I'm a Hamilton fan, it has to be Alonso for me being the more complete driver currently.

Schumi for the last 20 years, although Senna does have this 'legendary status' overall in the modern era.

#26 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,607 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:26

Best experienced driver on the grid today = Kimi
Best youthful driver on the grid today = Sebastian
Best rookie driver on the grid today = Checo

That was easy.

Best driver of the last 20 years was Alain - by a landslide. (Michael is the most successful though - so in strictly objective terms, he wins hands down)

Edited by bourbon, 03 August 2012 - 07:28.

#27 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:11

Whoever leads Vettel's PR campaign does a terrible job of it. Guy is current 2xWDC champ and won 3% votes on who is the best driver today' :) Whoever is leading Alonso's PR campaign should get a hefty raise.

Also, Mansell 0 votes. Seriously? Let me change my vote from Schumacher to Mansell just that he gets a vote :) Another proof that 'this is british bb' theory sucks.

How anyone voted Alonso or Hamilton on the best in 20 years list is a mystery to me. And these guys combined got over 15% of votes.

Edited by velgajski1, 02 August 2012 - 06:15.

#28 santori

santori

• 3,916 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:41

Best today: Alonso.

Best performances in the last 20 years: Schumacher.

Best driver to have driven in the last 20 years: Prost.

For me, Prost is probably the greatest, but most of his greatness comes before the 20 year cut-off.

#29 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,250 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:54

i HATE both of their personalities, mostly for having egos like cathedrals, but would add that ALO has more charisma than spoonface.
Still, none of both have the personality or level of charisma that Senna had.

Edited by denthierry, 02 August 2012 - 06:55.

#30 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,274 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:13

It is Michael Schumacher. His drives in the 1998-2000 season were his finest.

Alonso is near that level, we'll see if he can keep it going.

As for as speed, Ayrton Senna has take that crown. There will NEVER be another Monaco 1988 ever again where a driver was over 1 second faster than Alain Prost (who was also one heck of a quick driver himself).

Monaco 92 Mansell 2 secs a lap faster than Senna.

Silverstone 87 Mansell beat Piquet from 29 secs back in the last 28 laps.

Mansell was a shade quicker than Senna tbh, he just had other weaknesses.

#31 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,276 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21

I sense the poll and question are devised such that Alonso and Schumacher are named. 20 years interval is a bit odd. OP might be thinking the average age of this forum is late 20s, hence him/her saying "saw race in the last 20 years" but there are people here much older. Cough cough.

Alonso and Schumacher, yes, are my choices as well.

#32 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 545 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:35

Last 18 years is Schumacher but last 20 years is Senna.
So best driver today is also Schumacher then?No,neither he or his car is like they used to be.
Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso?Or Sebastien Vetter or Kimi?
I would say Kimi.

#33 grunge

grunge

• 4,305 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:56

The best today=Alonso or Hamilton

The best in the last 20=Alain Prost

#34 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:09

If you stuck them all in the same car at age 27 who would win?

Lewis Hamilton.

#35 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,180 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11

Monaco 92 Mansell 2 secs a lap faster than Senna.

Silverstone 87 Mansell beat Piquet from 29 secs back in the last 28 laps.

Mansell was a shade quicker than Senna tbh, he just had other weaknesses.

Lewis reminds me very much of Mansell.

Hell probably go onto be more successful but still!

#36 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11

Sebastien Loeb.

:up: :up:

#37 Cesc

Cesc

• 793 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:15

I have the feeling we have a little bit more of the: "You are as good as your last race" here with Hamilton. He can be very fast when he has a good day, as in Hungaroring, but at the same time he can be very lost from time to time in some weekends and be beaten clearly by Button, and on top of that, he is not very smart in some moves he does, like in Valencia with Maldonado. He had the place lost and Maldonado use to contact people, there was no need to battle with him and stiill, he lost 12 or 15 points there...

Alonso is the best of the last 10 years, for talent and ´constant´ achievements over the decade. Vettel has similar achievements but we need to see more of him in a different team in my opinion. In last 20 years? Alonso, Schumacher and probably Hakkinen, closely followed by Kimi Raikkonen and ....probably...Vettel. Hamilton is a tremendous talent but has still a lot of weak points: Consistency over a season long, too many errors and in my opinion, he seems to be easily affected by his personal life.

#38 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:16

Lewis reminds me very much of Mansell.

Hell probably go onto be more successful but still!

Nah don't say such things!! Mansell was a bull in the car, really crude by comparison. Can you imagine the whingeing we'd be getting when he couldn't get the tyres to last :eek:.

#39 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:17

Hamilton,he already beat Alonso in his prime as a rookie.

And Schumacher,last 20 years means from 92 onwards so that's only 2 years for Senna and 1? for Prost so I don't know how they qualify.

So Button should be the best then cause he beat Hamilton last year, no?

Advertisement

#40 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:24

Whoever leads Vettel's PR campaign does a terrible job of it. Guy is current 2xWDC champ and won 3% votes on who is the best driver today' :) Whoever is leading Alonso's PR campaign should get a hefty raise.

Also, Mansell 0 votes. Seriously? Let me change my vote from Schumacher to Mansell just that he gets a vote :) Another proof that 'this is british bb' theory sucks.

How anyone voted Alonso or Hamilton on the best in 20 years list is a mystery to me. And these guys combined got over 15% of votes.

As you can expect a lot of the voters are biased. A large percentage would vote their favorite drivers - some would do it even if they thought another driver is better because of bias and others would do it because they are blinkered and honestly think their favorite is the best due to...well, bias.

When Alonso became the youngest 2-time WDC at the end of 2006, he was still the third best driver to many people, and some ways behind Schumi and Kimi. His popularity nowadays has less to do with his PR people and more the fact that he is a Ferrari driver, and a pretty successful one at that. Although I also feel him being on Twitter has shown the public a side of him that endears him to us even more.

Vettel drives for RBR, a team which a lot of people resent for being a drinks company that beat the legends of Ferrari and McLaren. I guess that explains why he's so low on the list.

#41 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:25

Alonso in the both votings

#42 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,274 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:26

Schumacher
Senna
Prost
Alonso
Hakkinen
Hamilton

#43 Cesc

Cesc

• 793 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:29

Why Alonso is not credited to be one of the best of the last 20 years? He has been driving for 12 seasons already... The same as Kimi. He has got 30 victories, the most of those 20 years behid Schumacher. If he´s not good wnough, I can´t imagine who´s better.

#44 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34

As you can expect a lot of the voters are biased. A large percentage would vote their favorite drivers - some would do it even if they thought another driver is better because of bias and others would do it because they are blinkered and honestly think their favorite is the best due to...well, bias.

When Alonso became the youngest 2-time WDC at the end of 2006, he was still the third best driver to many people, and some ways behind Schumi and Kimi. His popularity nowadays has less to do with his PR people and more the fact that he is a Ferrari driver, and a pretty successful one at that. Although I also feel him being on Twitter has shown the public a side of him that endears him to us even more.

Vettel drives for RBR, a team which a lot of people resent for being a drinks company that beat the legends of Ferrari and McLaren. I guess that explains why he's so low on the list.

I think it's simply that many people suspect Vettel's only fast in a car with a planted back end. His teammate IS ahead of him in the championship.

With Red Bull, how popular would they become if they had Kimi? Much more popular I think.

#45 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:45

Lewis Hamilton.

You're not even trying to be objective, are you?

#46 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:52

I think it's simply that many people suspect Vettel's only fast in a car with a planted back end. His teammate IS ahead of him in the championship.

With Red Bull, how popular would they become if they had Kimi? Much more popular I think.

Well, with Alonso at the end of 2007. you had following situation (if you wanted to show why he is not that good):
1. Won against unreliable McLaren in 2005. with Ferrari being out of contention
2. Won against Ferrari in 2006, but after 'unfair' mass dampers were banned he almost lost huge lead he got from first part of championship
3. Lost against rookie teammate in 2007.

Quite similar to Vettel so far. And yes, at that point some people didn't rate Alonso as high as his 2 titles would deserve.

Someone here wrote well - titles gain 'aura' with time. Once you distance yourself from 'ifs and buts' you see that all titles are deserved.

#47 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:05

Well, with Alonso at the end of 2007. you had following situation (if you wanted to show why he is not that good):
1. Won against unreliable McLaren in 2005. with Ferrari being out of contention
2. Won against Ferrari in 2006, but after 'unfair' mass dampers were banned he almost lost huge lead he got from first part of championship
3. Lost against rookie teammate in 2007.

Quite similar to Vettel so far. And yes, at that point some people didn't rate Alonso as high as his 2 titles would deserve.

Someone here wrote well - titles gain 'aura' with time. Once you distance yourself from 'ifs and buts' you see that all titles are deserved.

I'm not saying Sebi's titles aren't deserved. Certainly not.

But you're not saying all wdc's are equal are you? Hill=Senna? No, so Sebi can be 2xwdc but still not be anywhere in this poll. As he isn't, and I was offering an explanation which I find more credible than 'bias'.

Personally I'm not sure how great Vettel is as a driver; he really might be, or not so much. I'm hoping to see him in another team and then we'll get a better idea.

Edited by undersquare, 02 August 2012 - 09:08.

#48 pdac

pdac

• 832 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:10

Just a little picky, but you seem to have used last names for some drivers and first names/nicknames for others (even different forms for the same driver). Remember, there have been two Schumachers in recent times.

#49 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:17

Schumacher has by far been the greatest for the past 20 years whitout a doubt.
He's been the refference for two more than two decades, and from the current field only Alonso comes close to his level.

#50 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:22

Oh look. It's another "who's your favourite driver?" thread.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 02 August 2012 - 10:22.