Photo

Your dream team for commentating?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:18

There's been a lot of moaning by us this year about various commentators and their (lack of) F1 knowledge and professionalism with even the revered Martin Brundle receiving his own fair share of negative complaints and criticisms. So, if F1 commentating is really as shoddy as a lot of us on the Autosport forums are making it out to be, then who would be the ideal combination of commentators required to make (mostly) everyone happy?

I'm going to go with a combination of three that will never happen in a million years, but I think it would be fantastic. Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert and Bob Varsha. Why Brundle, Herbert, and Varsha?

Brundle because he is simply so amazingly respected by the majority of fans, and he has definitely become a very successful commentator. The fact that some fans gravitate towards Sky's coverage simply because they have Brundle is on board happens to be very telling. He's able to call what's happening very well and he gives ample respect to any driver who deserves it.

Herbert would be fantastic. Even though I've only seen him in the pundit role on Sky, he's fantastic in the position. He's a real joy to listen to and he just comes across as an everyday fellow who any of us could sit down with and have a chat with over a few beers. He just seems like a genuinely good guy who still has pretty sharp insight (obviously he must since he was stewarding after all). Johnny also has a good sense of humour that could surely help make boring processional bits of races a little more tolerable. I didn't think much of Johnny before his pundit role on Sky, but now I'm a giant fan of the guy. Let him commentate, I'm sure he'd succeed.

Varsha is simply the voice of F1 in North America. While his co-commentators on Speed aren't too bad, Varsha is simply better. Any race in which he isn't commentating and is off at the auctions he calls for every now then doesn't feel as entertaining when watched on Speed. Varsha is very impartial and unbiased and he doesn't get wrapped up in the politics of the sport, instead focusing heavily on the racing itself which we all love. He's a very down to earth guy who has been commentating F1 for quite a while now. I'd love to see him somehow ditch his current duo of goofy Brits (Hobbs and Matchett) and be partnered with Brundle and Herbert.

That would be my dream team. Another that I think would be great to listen to, but more for hysterical reasons, would have to be James Allen and Jonathan Legard. Can you just imagine how many people would be infuriated by that!?

How about you guys? Who do you wish would be partnered together?

Edited by UPRC, 03 August 2012 - 14:19.

Advertisement

#2 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:20

How dare you miss out Murray Walker? :cry: :p

#3 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,280 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:22

Murray Walker and Martin Brundle were the dream team for commentating, and if it weren't for Murray's age I'd say bring him back in a heartbeat.

#4 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:23

Crofty and Ant, for me please.

Though I have not been complaining, things are the best ever atm.

#5 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:26

Crofty and Ant, for me please.

Though I have not been complaining, things are the best ever atm.

I truly despise Crofty, not sure why. There's something about him that makes me want to pull my hair out :smoking: .

I don't mind Ant, seems like a decent chap.

#6 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:34

Brundle & McNish, a wealth of info,imparted with passion & sincerity.

Crofty is to shouty, and makes to many errors.

#7 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:37

I don't like Croft either. He always seems to cut off Ant mid conversation to add nothing worthy to the commentary.
And his 'friendly digs' get annoying after a session.
Ant should take him for a few laps around a track, scare the s*** out of him, and take his ego down a notch or two.

For me, Murray was always the voice of F1. Brundle is great too, I liked his banter with Coulthard when they were paired together last year.

Although I'm from the States, I don't ever watch F1 on Speed, but I agree Bob Varsha is a great voice. Shame he's stuck watching the World Feed from a studio in North Carolina, I'd like to see him in a booth at the actual tracks. Otherwise, he's just telling us what we are already seeing.

Worst ever: J. Legard. Utter nonsense from that man.

#8 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:38

My dream team is no commentator's.

When SPEED streams FP1 and FP3 and no one is yacking over the sound of the cars and the radio transmissions I am in heaven.

Edited by Watkins74, 03 August 2012 - 14:46.

#9 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:45

:up: That should be an option

#10 SCEPurple

SCEPurple

• 326 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:50

:up: That should be an option

I'd like button, webber and brundle

#11 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:07

I don't like Croft either. He always seems to cut off Ant mid conversation to add nothing worthy to the commentary.
And his 'friendly digs' get annoying after a session.
Ant should take him for a few laps around a track, scare the s*** out of him, and take his ego down a notch or two.

For me, Murray was always the voice of F1. Brundle is great too, I liked his banter with Coulthard when they were paired together last year.

Although I'm from the States, I don't ever watch F1 on Speed, but I agree Bob Varsha is a great voice. Shame he's stuck watching the World Feed from a studio in North Carolina, I'd like to see him in a booth at the actual tracks. Otherwise, he's just telling us what we are already seeing.

Worst ever: J. Legard. Utter nonsense from that man.

Should of heard Legard commentating on the Olympic Volleyball, the rubbish that man comes out with.

Murray Walker will always be the best, I always quite liked Paul Page for the American racing too.

#12 GX390

GX390

• 756 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:13

I'd like button, webber and brundle

:up: :up: :up:

#13 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:22

James Allen and Eddie Jordan.

or on a more serious note, Martin Brundle and A.N.Other. Brundle seems to drag along whoever is co-commentating, making the entire narrative informative and enjoyable. He hasn't won an unprecidented six RTS awards for nothing.

Past : Brundle / Walker
Current : Brundle / Coulthard

#14 douglasross

douglasross

• 87 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:27

There is no one who can better Murray Walker, his knowledge of drivers and teams, his passion for the sport, his genuine enthusiasm , and all those wonderful Murrayisms . There really is noone to touch him and when he talks about the great drivers of the past he does so with personal knowledge as he knew them

#15 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:27

I truly despise Crofty, not sure why. There's something about him that makes me want to pull my hair out :smoking: .

I don't mind Ant, seems like a decent chap.

Funny isn't it, such a taste thing. I really like Crofty, for me a very positive person and knows a fair bit.

But NcNish, whom quite a few seem to like, I cannot stand! Just states the obvious in such an important manner, it seems to me.

But the complaints are quite mild now, compared to when we had to endure The Leg. There was a consensus!

DC was unexpectedly good too, much better off-camera than on.

#16 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:54

Why isn't anybody rooting for Karun Chandhok? The man is massively talented to speak about everything concerning motorsports and is a real joy to listen to. His English is very, very good.

#17 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:54

There's been a lot of moaning by us this year about various commentators and their (lack of) F1 knowledge and professionalism with even the revered Martin Brundle receiving his own fair share of negative complaints and criticisms. So, if F1 commentating is really as shoddy as a lot of us on the Autosport forums are making it out to be, then who would be the ideal combination of commentators required to make (mostly) everyone happy?

I'm going to go with a combination of three that will never happen in a million years, but I think it would be fantastic. Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert and Bob Varsha. Why Brundle, Herbert, and Varsha?

Brundle because he is simply so amazingly respected by the majority of fans, and he has definitely become a very successful commentator. The fact that some fans gravitate towards Sky's coverage simply because they have Brundle is on board happens to be very telling. He's able to call what's happening very well and he gives ample respect to any driver who deserves it.

Herbert would be fantastic. Even though I've only seen him in the pundit role on Sky, he's fantastic in the position. He's a real joy to listen to and he just comes across as an everyday fellow who any of us could sit down with and have a chat with over a few beers. He just seems like a genuinely good guy who still has pretty sharp insight (obviously he must since he was stewarding after all). Johnny also has a good sense of humour that could surely help make boring processional bits of races a little more tolerable. I didn't think much of Johnny before his pundit role on Sky, but now I'm a giant fan of the guy. Let him commentate, I'm sure he'd succeed.

Varsha is simply the voice of F1 in North America. While his co-commentators on Speed aren't too bad, Varsha is simply better. Any race in which he isn't commentating and is off at the auctions he calls for every now then doesn't feel as entertaining when watched on Speed. Varsha is very impartial and unbiased and he doesn't get wrapped up in the politics of the sport, instead focusing heavily on the racing itself which we all love. He's a very down to earth guy who has been commentating F1 for quite a while now. I'd love to see him somehow ditch his current duo of goofy Brits (Hobbs and Matchett) and be partnered with Brundle and Herbert.

That would be my dream team. Another that I think would be great to listen to, but more for hysterical reasons, would have to be James Allen and Jonathan Legard. Can you just imagine how many people would be infuriated by that!?

How about you guys? Who do you wish would be partnered together?

Bob Varsha / Sam Posey partnered perhaps with Eddie Cheever? All calming cool voices, with respect for silence when appropriate.

Edited by Sakae, 03 August 2012 - 15:56.

#18 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:06

I agree with the OP, Varsha/Brundle would be great. I don't think any of the UK lead guys are as good as Varsha. I really enjoy Croft/Brundle, especially compared to DC/MB or Legard/MB. Then again, I enjoyed watching the ITV streams as well with JA/MB.

But Varsha, I've been listening to him since I was a child. My earliest F1 memories were listening to Varsha on the streets of Phoenix in 1990. I wouldn't have anyone else.

#19 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:13

Why isn't anybody rooting for Karun Chandhok? The man is massively talented to speak about everything concerning motorsports and is a real joy to listen to. His English is very, very good.

He was bloody good in the practice sessions he commentated on :up: .

Advertisement

#20 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:14

Funny isn't it, such a taste thing. I really like Crofty, for me a very positive person and knows a fair bit.

But NcNish, whom quite a few seem to like, I cannot stand! Just states the obvious in such an important manner, it seems to me.

But the complaints are quite mild now, compared to when we had to endure The Leg. There was a consensus!

DC was unexpectedly good too, much better off-camera than on.

Indeed.

Legard was an absolute abomination of a commentator - made me want to punch the screen everytime he spoke a word.

DC & Brundle were very good last season, possibly the best modern-day combo for me.

#21 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:16

From a technical and informative point of view, Brundle and Coulthard in 2011 were the best thing ever! But anyway it's a matter of tastes. I like a guy who is experienced and gives valuable info during the race rather than a guy who is just giving dramatic and over-excited speech.

#22 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:20

DC and Brundle ideally. The Beeb had the best line up ever last season and both offerings now are slightly inferior IMO. DC and Edwards is very satisfactory though.

#23 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:45

My dream commentator team: Raikkonen & Petrov.

#24 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:47

For me there is only one dream team of F1 voices: Murray & James.

Allas those days are never to return..

#25 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:51

"Formula 1 coverage on SVT World, brought to you in part by Magnum Ice Cream and Smirnoff."

Edited by UPRC, 03 August 2012 - 16:51.

#26 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:51

Edwards & Watson, Eurosport 90s. The perfect pairing for me - including no ridiculous, annoying SHOUTING. Add someone eloquent with recent experience in F1 and that's it.

#27 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 932 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:56

If I'm honest, I'd say the current Sky lineup is my favourite, along with DC/Brundle & Walker/Brundle.

#28 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:56

Of the people I'm used to listen to (or used to listen to) I would choose Pedro Martínez de la Rosa and Christian Danner.

I would need to listen to him a bit more often before I can really talk about him, but I listened to D'Ambrosio commenting GP2 (I think it was GP2) a couple of weeks ago and he didn't do badly.

#29 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:08

DC and Brundle ideally. The Beeb had the best line up ever last season and both offerings now are slightly inferior IMO. DC and Edwards is very satisfactory though.

Yep. Edwards was a very choice of replacement, he's been commenting in F1 for awhile; since the Eurosport days.

#30 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:15

I miss Murray, the assistants are of no importance to me.

#31 FizzyJerk

FizzyJerk

• 436 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:23

I think Ron Dennis and Max Mosely should be given a fair crack of the whip

#32 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:25

Raikk: So the lights are off.

Petrov: Thie cars are guioing.

Raikk: So the race is finnished. A normal sunday with drivers doing normal things. Thank you and good day.

#33 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:33

When SPEED streams FP1 and FP3 and no one is yacking over the sound of the cars and the radio transmissions I am in heaven.

This.

#34 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:34

I think we already had it - brundle and DC.... but I love the BBC commentary team.

#35 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:33

I don't really mind the commentary we get here in the Low Lands, but no commentary would indeed be a fantastic option to have. :up: I also like the combination of an experienced commentator and driver commentating - i.e. not narrating.

During commercials I sometimes switch over to the BBC, and while I usually like David Coulthard's comments, I just cannot get used to the common propensity of the English F1 commentators to loudly shout about what can be plainly seen on the screen.

Edited by Nonesuch, 03 August 2012 - 18:34.

#36 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:47

Absolutely this - BBC do offer this option but I have had to complain to them twice this year that they didn't get round to it unitl several laps had passed. I don't want to hear someone rabbiting on while I am concentrating on the action. Sky only offer natural sound on the pit lane channel which makes them second tier asa a pay channel.

For archive - Ben Edwards and A.N.Other

#37 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:51

I love the Swedish duo even though the lead commentator has a bit of a Kimi bias :cat:

But as a team those two are awesome. They also speak the most beautiful language in the world...

#38 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:02

I think were spoiled at the moment.. I prefer Croft and Brundle to the other guys but I wouldn't mind having Buxton doing the commentary.

He's the kind of guy you either love or hate, but you can't question the enthusiasm and how awake he is compared to some of the other guys.

Just to go for something different I would want to try Buxton and Herbert together.

everyone has seen this but always worth another go :)

---

As for other languages I can confirm the french-canadian guys (RDS) are shockingly bad. You feel 20 000kms away from the action, and they must be watching the smallest TV screen in the world to make so many mistakes and/or miss so much of the action.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 03 August 2012 - 19:21.

#39 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:14

I have no preference really, I don't like the other guy on Skysports that's it really.

Advertisement

#40 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:23

Kimi Raikkonen and James Hunt.

#41 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:31

Kimi Raikkonen and James Hunt.

Win! :clap:

#42 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:35

And if you want to add a bit of tension: Kimi Raikkonen, James Hunt and Jacques Villeneuve.

#43 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 20:50

I love the Swedish duo even though the lead commentator has a bit of a Kimi bias :cat:

But as a team those two are awesome. They also speak the most beautiful language in the world...

Agreed. They're quite a good team now, I think Eje has improved a lot :up: RTL is almost as good though, Christian Danner is always worth listening to. Just hate to hear the german voice-overs on all the interviews however. Always turns into a total mess in my ears, can't hear neither the german or the english...

I also enjoyed Edwards/Watson on Eurosport in the md 90s. Amazing combo.

Edited by pUs, 03 August 2012 - 20:55.

#44 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 20:57

-this is bullshit...
-yes.. :-|

#45 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 20:57

I also enjoyed Edwards/Watson on Eurosport in the md 90s. Amazing combo.

agreed. :up:

#46 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:02

Marc Gene and Carlos Sainz in La Sexta during 2010 & 2011 were brilliant despite the unconditional bias to Nando. Very exciting to hear the both of them.

#47 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:02

I'd love to hear Legard and James Allen working together using Siri and a helium balloon. It would be loud, exciting, dynamic and very entertaining.

Yes, they would truly be a dream team, fo sho.

#48 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:46

When Herbert did some co-comms on a practice session recently he really wasn't very good. He's a very amiable guy and I like him as a pundit, but he tends to give quite short answers if you notice and that doesn't really work in a commentary setting

#49 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:46

Also I laughed when I heard legard doing some volleyball commentary the other day. Seems the beeb has found his level

#50 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:48

Brundle and the main Eurosport English commentator from late 90´s, don´t know the name. :up:

I can´t believe someone names Carlos Sainz, he was a brilliant driver but he was boring and didn´t have half a clue about racing.