Photo

NASCAR Pocono/Iowa, the director's cut

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,901 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 00:47

This is my only post in this thread. I'm bored now. I've seen this before, less than two months ago! Glen? Up for it. Michigan 2? Will struggle to care. Will be back in full-on snark for Bristol/Atlanta/Richmond/The Chase.

Plus I'm working on a major sponsorship deal, so there's that. My goal for next year is to be able to bitch about racing while watching in a house like Marco Andretti's. Behold the understated taste

Am I going too long? Am I being self-indulgent? Consider it pre-thread coverage.

The important bits:

Cup - 400 miles. It's the small mercies that get you through the day. Engines start at 1:19pm-eastern Sunday on ESPN.

Danicavision - Chilling out in Iowa. Happening place. On the ascendancy. 8:14pm-eastern Saturday. Yah, it's a night race. ESPN2

Trucks - Pocono, on Speed, 1pm-ish eastern? Saturday

John Wes Townley news. Because that's why you're really here.

John Wes Townley hit the wall at the exit of Turn 2 during his warmup lap on Friday at Pocono Raceway, and he was replaced as driver of FAS Lane Racing's #32 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car before he even turned an official lap. Camping World Truck Series driver Jason White will replace Townley, who was planning to make his Cup debut in Sunday's Pennsylvania 400 with sponsorship from the Zaxby's fast-food chicken restaurant chain.

Dale Jr is still the points leader. It makes my stigmata act up.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 04 August 2012 - 14:37.

Advertisement

#2 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:00

This should make the weekend thread a little more exciting Ross:

Posted Image

:love: Hot DAMN!! :love:
That's Jordan Fish, Denny Hamlin's girl. He got her pregnant. They announced it today. Well done sir.
Pocono? Hmm. I choose yes. :p

But away from TMZ, and onto some Truck-related news.
Piquet topped the time charts at this morning's only NCWTS practice session of the weekend.

Running a brand spankin' new chassis, he looked confident on the re-pave, setting the fastest time early on, and held it for the entire session. The Brazilian Brethren looks strong on pace, with Piquet/Paludo running most of the session 1-2. He ended up 4th quickest.
Full practice session here
Could be a good showing for TurnerMo tomorrow in the 125.

:clap: John Wesley Townley :clap:
Turn 2. Of the freakin' warm-up lap. He even had one less turn to navigate than the usual tracks.

Years from now he'll show the grandkids highlights of his Cup career: Turn 1.

I just hope he doesn't go bashing up his truck tomorrow in an effort to prove himself. He has nothing to prove.
I'm looking forward to the Pocono races, Iowa notsomuch.

Edited by gm914, 04 August 2012 - 02:17.

#3 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:39

Daaayyyyuuummm, Denny!

#4 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:17

My goal for next year is to be able to bitch about racing while watching in a house like Marco Andretti's.

If you manage to break in, bring Ludacris' bottle.

#5 Option1

Option1

• 12,978 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:14

Apparently, according to the clip, "<breathless>Marco is one of the Ultimate stars of racing</and breath>" I'm shocked, I didn't even realise he played frisbee.

I'll probably watch bits of the races, or is that bitch at the races, but only when there's nothing much happening at t' 'lympics.

Neil

#6 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,610 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 13:55

Who's trophies are all of those? Unless he bought some blank trophies in bulk, they ain't Marco's.

Got to love having chromosomes similar to a F1 World Champion, you can live in Fort Jersey Shore, while kids with similar talent work odd jobs to run the odder race...

#7 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:03

Keep an eye out for Darrell Wallace Jr. 10th fastest in first NNS practice, and top of the charts in Prac 2.
Does he really call himself 'Bubba'?

#8 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:15

JPM holds a press coneference at Pocono to reveal a MAJOR announcement.

How long will YOU watch for? Time yourselves.

Edited by gm914, 04 August 2012 - 14:45.

#9 Risil

Risil

• 13,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:34

:D :up: OP

I love your writing. Best of luck for the sponsorship deal. It seems we have similar goals.

John Wesley Townley, was a friend to the poor, he travelled with a gun in every hand.

#10 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:41

Piquet picks up his 2nd career NCWTS Pole for today's PoconoMts 125. :up:

#11 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:42

normal youtube link

#12 Option1

Option1

• 12,978 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:16

JPM holds a press coneference at Pocono to reveal a MAJOR announcement.

How long will YOU watch for? Time yourselves.

I might have made 10 seconds, but didn't. Even skipping through the vid, I'm guessing the MAJOR announcement was some ride along giveaway competition - is that it?

Neil

#13 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:30

I might have made 10 seconds, but didn't. Even skipping through the vid, I'm guessing the MAJOR announcement was some ride along giveaway competition - is that it?

Neil

If I made it through 3 minutes I could probably tell you. All I gathered was JPM is going to be on a box of cereal.
For the sake of synergy, they should post EGR's results on a milk carton.

Here's the full NCWTS lineup. all 3 Turner boys in the top 5.
Kicking off in half an hour!

#14 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:35

JPM earns himself a spot in the shootout with pole. The top 3 guys got some great luck, the track was at it's fastest when they set their times.

http://www.nascar.co...ata/lineup.html

Edited by Juablo, 04 August 2012 - 16:37.

#15 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:46

Piquet and Montoya on pole? Hell yeah!

*pictures Jordan Fish doing pole dance*

#16 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:01

My goal for next year is to be able to bitch about racing while watching in a house like Marco Andretti's. Behold the understated taste

Hmm, don't know if it is, but the outside looks a lot like the house Michael had on the market a few years ago. Same architect who did Tony Montana's place, I think.

A fake glass of brandy in the bedroom? Who does that? Seriously.

#17 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:14

I'm working on a proposal all weekend but I took a short break and I looked at NASCAR.com and Montoya's on POLE? WHAT??!?!?!?!

#18 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:15

Blink and you'll miss this race.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,113 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:32

Piquet leads...
Time for some drama.

"U-TawTaw."

Jp

Advertisement

#20 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:55

Anyone else nervous?

#21 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:03

GTFO Bodine! Throws his helmet at a passing Piquet for turning in on him. Nowhere near Piquet's at fault.

#22 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,021 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:03

John Wesley Townley, was a friend to the poor, he travelled with a gun in every hand.

On top of that, he was never known to hurt an honest man.

A little bit OT: is there a cool guy to support in NASCAR? The (quite entertaining) Nascar game for the PS3 made me watch the last NASCAR race on TV, my first one since EuroSport showed the races in the 1990s.
But I am under the impression that there are lots of rednecks and other kind of people whom I don't find very inspiring.... you know, the kind of guys who'd go to Chick-fil-A these days or think that public health care is the root of all evil :evil:
Is there a cool guy to support?

Who is the François Cévert of NASCAR?

#23 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:10

FFS good restart aaaand another wreck.

#24 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:26

Crushed again. Is this ever going to happen?

#25 Option1

Option1

• 12,978 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:07

On top of that, he was never known to hurt an honest man.

A little bit OT: is there a cool guy to support in NASCAR? The (quite entertaining) Nascar game for the PS3 made me watch the last NASCAR race on TV, my first one since EuroSport showed the races in the 1990s.
But I am under the impression that there are lots of rednecks and other kind of people whom I don't find very inspiring.... you know, the kind of guys who'd go to Chick-fil-A these days or think that public health care is the root of all evil :evil:
Is there a cool guy to support?

Hmmm, Marcos Ambrose because he's not American, or Jimmie Johnson because he's quite urbane and hated by the rednecks for that alone.

Neil

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,113 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:20

anbeck's options are rather limited.
Ambrose?? No way.
The nearest thing to class in this series is indeed Jimmie.
Jp

#27 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:41

I don't think there are many Cevert types in any form of Motorsport these days. If you mean the playboy-type gentleman-racer with actual talent, royalty in the family and moviestar looks.

There's a few who fit a couple of those categories, but not all.

If you're looking for someone who would never eat at Chick-fil-A, John Wes Townley is your man.
He's a Zaxby's Chicken boy.

Speaking of which, how do you think Daddy Townley is going to recoop (heh) the money he just blew on Johnboy's Cup Fantasy Camp?

I have an idea...

Posted Image

#28 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:01

I don't think there are many Cevert types in any form of Motorsport these days. If you mean the playboy-type gentleman-racer with actual talent, royalty in the family and moviestar looks.

There's a few who fit a couple of those categories, but not all.

My best fit right now is Austin Dillon. Gentleman racer? Well he's a good Christian boy, humble, clean cut, goes to Church on Sundays (or Saturday night) and believes in doing the right thing. Actual talent? So far, he's proven it by winning the Truck series and he's doing great in Nationwide so far in his first season. Royalty in the family? Well, his grand daddy is NASCAR royalty, Richard Childress. Moviestar looks? Meh not my type but I'm sure he gets his fair share of female interest.

The part that's missing is the playboy-type. He's not going to tackle some random hottie in the waves at Nice and take her back to his hotel room for a shag. He's also not quite proven conclusively that he's got the talent to win at the top level (though he's not far from proving it, 2-3 years at the most).

Anyone else? My girl thinks Logano is cute but he's no royalty or playboy and the talent factor isn't quite there. No royalty connection.

Hamlin? He's pretty damn cute and has a nightclub or two. Though as mentioned earlier he's knocked up some chick so we'll see. No royalty connection.

Dale Jr? He's definitely got most of it, and if this season's form is any indication, maybe the talent is there after all. But he's not young any more.

Of course if you're coming from supporting F1 you can always take the easy way and root for Montoya, but I hope you can endure a lot of pain if you choose that direction.

Oh, wait. Jamie Mac has moviestar looks, he's a playboy, and he's also a gentleman. How about him? That may be the way to go.

#29 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:05

You can't go wrong with Kurt Busch. A popular pick around here. Hear what his former teammate has to say.
For me, subjective judgement, Johanna Looooong is the new François! She'll nail the other girls like no man's business.

#30 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:09

OLB did you watch the truck race? I thought today was the day, man. Utterly dominant car, good on the restarts except the one that counted.

Todd Bodine being even more of an asshat after he had cooled down than he was right after he wrecked himself.
And JP jinxed us.

#31 Option1

Option1

• 12,978 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:32

OLB I'm pretty sure all you've given is a list of redneck royalty, an entirely different thing to the question asked. :lol:

Neil

#32 SKL

SKL

• 583 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:22

GOod thing the Iowa race is at night. Hell of a storm blew through the area a couple hours ago. Drove by the track about an hour ago on I-80 and there was a big crowd. Went to the Indycar race in June and also had a couple storms blow through. Pretty much NO rain all summer and the days of a big race, of course it POURS!!

Not a big oval fan, but have to admit Newton puts on a great show, and it is a very nice facility. Lot of impressive jets at the Newton airport!!

#33 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:28

OLB did you watch the truck race? I thought today was the day, man. Utterly dominant car, good on the restarts except the one that counted.

Todd Bodine being even more of an asshat after he had cooled down than he was right after he wrecked himself.
And JP jinxed us.

yeah I watched. I was so pissed. He did well to come back to 3rd.

Did you hear what Coulter said? He feels he's historically been bad on restarts and has been really working on them recently as he saw it as a weak point.
I hope Piquet listens to that.

#34 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:28

OLB I'm pretty sure all you've given is a list of redneck royalty, an entirely different thing to the question asked. :lol:

Neil

That's the only kind of royalty in NASCAR.

#35 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:50

yeah I watched. I was so pissed. He did well to come back to 3rd.

Did you hear what Coulter said? He feels he's historically been bad on restarts and has been really working on them recently as he saw it as a weak point.
I hope Piquet listens to that.

Yeh. That second to last restart and the actual race start gave me hope that he'd sorted it out. He just drove away in both of those.
Alas, there had to be another wreck. Maybe he got to thinking too much about the thought of flying helmets, or steroid-eatin'-freaks, coming through the cockpit.

It looked like the planets were aligning at the start though, with Dillon The Younger giving us a JWT lap 1 turn 2 salute, Sauter with trouble early, and Coulter, Peters and Hornaday well back.
Really looking forward to seeing him run at Bristol in the NNS. After winning the K&N East race there, and a win in his last NNS start, I'm sure he's going to be confident.

#36 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:55

A fired-up Elliot Sadler takes the pole in Iowa.

#2-Elliott Sadler won the Coors Light Pole for the US Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway with a speed of 135.141 mph.
Rounding out the top 10 were:

#20-Darrell Wallace, Jr.
#3-Austin Dillon,
#30-Jason Leffler,
#31-Justin Allgaier,
#33-Brendan Gaughan,
#12-Sam Hornish, Jr.,
#18-Michael McDowell,
#11-Brian Scott,
#99-Brett Moffitt.

#37 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:29

Still racing for Down Syndrome awareness, doing a hell of a job.

#38 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:21

For those who missed it, here is the incident in question.
Piquet clearly keeps his line. Todd was not clear.

I can't find Nutsack's post-wreck interview (it will surface soon) but Bodine accepted blame- that is, blamed himself for "trusting an idiot like Piquet" not to move over. WTF?
He also seems to think Piquet has a vendetta against him. Meanwhile planet Earth told him to take a look at the replay and STFU.

Both he has his crew chief were called to the hauler. Piquet ate McDonalds.

#39 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,637 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:35

piquet nearly got turned too on the guy behind him too as he went left a touch

not sure i like this commentary team for nns race :\, bit dull

Advertisement

#40 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:52

The race itself is a bit dull.
Hell, the time spent on commercials is longer than the entire NCWTS race.

Edited by gm914, 05 August 2012 - 01:03.

#41 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,435 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:15

The race itself is a bit dull.
Hell, the time spent on commercials is longer than the entire NCWTS race.

I am stabbing myself in the temple with a dull fork each lap to stay alert. I wonder what the drivers are doing.

#42 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:23

I am stabbing myself in the temple with a dull fork each lap to stay alert. I wonder what the drivers are doing.

I just watched Lyoto Machida knock a guy out on FOX and I read stories about NFL on ESPN.

Then I heard Austin complain of a vibration on RaceBuddy so I tuned back in.

CC reports they found nothing wrong with the tyres.

OK now they report there was a loose wheel.

#43 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:26

LOL
I've resorted to #nascar on twitter for entertainment. I think Tom Jensen is drunk.

#44 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:28

Well now it's got interesting with the fastest car a lap down.

#45 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:31

Watching RaceBuddy makes it more interesting. PSP is whining about the 88 "tell the 88 to get off my something" or something.

And Austin Dillon just ran something over. He said "....broke something. I just ran it over." I don't think he means HE broke something...I think it was someone up the road from him.

#46 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:36

Austin just passed the 6th and 5th placed cars on the track but Allgaier keeps lapping people faster than he can catch them.

Whoops caution.

#47 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:38

I figured they'd bring Dillon in and try to be the lucky dog for the next caution, but they're keeping him out to get the wave around.

#48 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:39

Nope, they've come to their senses after grandpappy came on the radio. They'll pit for four tyres.

Water temp too high for Danica.

#49 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:40

I gotta feel sorry for @toddbodine on twitter today. Turns out Todd Bodine the racer doesnt have a twitter page, it's some random European music producer/DJ. He's probably wondering why he's getting a lot of hate mail :lol:

#50 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:43

I gotta feel sorry for @toddbodine on twitter today. Turns out Todd Bodine the racer doesnt have a twitter page, it's some random European music producer/DJ. He's probably wondering why he's getting a lot of hate mail :lol:

That's hilarious.