Photo

Who will be the champion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will be the champion? (274 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be the champion?

1. Fernando Alonso (114 votes [41.61%])

Percentage of vote: 41.61%

2. Lewis Hamilton (49 votes [17.88%])

Percentage of vote: 17.88%

3. Sebastian Vettel (24 votes [8.76%])

Percentage of vote: 8.76%

4. Kimi Raikkönen (74 votes [27.01%])

Percentage of vote: 27.01%

5. Someone else (13 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Vote

#1 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:34

There is some time to take a breath during this extremely though and competitive season. I think despite Fernando's "comfortable" lead there are some other drivers who seem to have better chance thanks to their better cars. What is you opinion?

Some pro and contra:

-Fernando: he has never had the best car this season, but he was absolutely faultless, brilliant. Germany was the best example for that. Button and Vettel had better cars, but Seb was very nervous, went off the track a couple of times. Button couldn't make the move on Schumi at the start, then flatspotted his tyre right after his last stop and couldn't look after the tyres, he was following Fernando too closely and ruined his front tyres and suffered from massive tyre wear. Alonso was the only man who did everything spot on.

-Lewis: his performance hangs on the car's performance. He had the best car at the start of the season and had fantastic car in Canada, Germany and Hungary and can get everything out of the car if that is competitive. McLaren have found a fantastic pace recently. If Lewis gets the best car, he cannot be beaten.

-Sebastian: he is very constant, always there, but very nervous sometimes. I mentioned above how many mistakes he did in Germany and also in Hungary he braked too late many times in the race. Red Bull could and probably can be dominant in certain races like in Valencia where he had a car one (!!!) second quicker than anyone else.

-Kimi: he is not aggressive enough, he struggles for qualy pace, but in the race he is brilliant, absolutely fantastic. He can amaze everybody with his performances on Sunday. In Hungary he was way off the lead at the start of the race, then he looked after the tyres, went blidingly fast when the time came. Lotus is set to introduce a magical DDRS which could make their car even faster, however the E20 has already had a fantastic race pace.

If I were asked, I would say the names' of Lewis or Sebastian. They have had a car which has always been strong both in the races and in the qualies. I rate Fernando a little bit higher than them, but Ferrari may be suffering at Spa and Monza due to their top speed, on top of that traction is very important in Monza and Singapure (Fernando struggled for traction out of the slow corners in Hungary as I reported last weekend.)
So all in all if Ferrari could bolt some good developments onto the car, Fernando could get the title easily, but thanks the suspected car's advantage I think it will be a duel between Seb and Lewis.

Edited by FerrariAlonso, 04 August 2012 - 14:39.

Advertisement

#2 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:44

Alonso spun off in Q2 in Australia so he hasnt been absolutely faultless, but damn close. Even as Lewis fan, massive respect for this season, he has been at the top of his game.

I want it to be Lewis - just need to see if McLaren can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

#3 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:52

Why is webber not in the poll? He's currently 2nd in the championship.

Not that I personally believe he's ever going to be a world champion, but still.

#4 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:55

No Webber? Good poll.

#5 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 14:56

Why is webber not in the poll? He's currently 2nd in the championship.

Not that I personally believe he's ever going to be a world champion, but still.

Not to misunderstand, but I have to admit I think he doesn't have the speed. He is extremely fast on certain tracks - Barca, Silverstone, Monaco and maybe at Spa and Suzuka-, but sometimes he is miles away from Seb's pace, especially in the races. Webber could only be champion and beat his team-mate if tonnes of misfurtunes hit Seb.

#6 Outsider

Outsider

• 932 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:00

you don't have Webber, but you have in your poll Räikkönen who has not even won a race...

#7 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:02

you don't have Webber, but you have in your poll Räikkönen who has not even won a race...

That is just sown to the talent, man. :) Raikkonen has a very good car and he always gets everything out of the car. Webber has a very good car, as well, he can be very fast at times, but as mentioned before sometimes he is really miles off the pace compared to his team mate.

#8 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:05

Hamilton.

When was the last time the Melbourne pole sitter, failed to go on and win the championship?

#9 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:06

That is just sown to the talent, man. :) Raikkonen has a very good car and he always gets everything out of the car. Webber has a very good car, as well, he can be very fast at times, but as mentioned before sometimes he is really miles off the pace compared to his team mate.

Surely your sentence is contradictory,

I think the Lotus has been the best car.

#10 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:07

Stupid justification. The guy has won 2 races this year. Its not as if its a Massa or Button situation. Hes beating his teammate in the points.
And any one of those drivers will have to rely on the misfortunes of other drivers if they are to have a chance at the championship.

#11 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:18

Hamilton.

When was the last time the Melbourne pole sitter, failed to go on and win the championship?

This year ;P

I want to say Alonso, but 2010 is still fresh in my mind, to be honest it's impossible to say, maybe after Monza we will get a clear picture of the contenders and their chances, but this could go to the last race with +3 drivers fighting for the title.

#12 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:24

Hamilton.

2006. And 2005. Incidentally, the 2 years when Alonso won the title.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 04 August 2012 - 15:25.

#13 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:27

Lol, Webber won two races and is not on this poll? What makes you think he won't win another two.

#14 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:28

There is some time to take a breath during this extremely though and competitive season. I think despite Fernando's "comfortable" lead there are some other drivers who seem to have better chance thanks to their better cars. What is you opinion?

Some pro and contra:

-Fernando: he has never had the best car this season, but he was absolutely faultless, brilliant. Germany was the best example for that. Button and Vettel had better cars, but Seb was very nervous, went off the track a couple of times. Button couldn't make the move on Schumi at the start, then flatspotted his tyre right after his last stop and couldn't look after the tyres, he was following Fernando too closely and ruined his front tyres and suffered from massive tyre wear. Alonso was the only man who did everything spot on.

-Lewis: his performance hangs on the car's performance. He had the best car at the start of the season and had fantastic car in Canada, Germany and Hungary and can get everything out of the car if that is competitive. McLaren have found a fantastic pace recently. If Lewis gets the best car, he cannot be beaten.

The Ferrari was at least the equal to the RBR and McLaren cars in Canada and is one of the quickest cars in the wet. Lewis' performance is dependant on how the team functions as well. Ferrari have been pretty much faultless in this area with Fernando, so lets not make out that Fernando's success is solely down to him so far this season, despite him driving brilliantly.

#15 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 158 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:31

I'm going with Raikkonen. I think he's the favourite to win in SPA. If the DDRS works to plan: Lotus will be quite competitive at Monza as well and Raikkonen could claim back to back victories to kick off the second half.

Actually. I just want to see Monte's face if Raikkonen wins the championship from Fernando. :clap:

#16 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:36

Actually. I just want to see Monte's face if Raikkonen wins the championship from Fernando. :clap:

+1

#17 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 15:52

If Alonso almost won in 2010 with those non-shuffled races in a car that was at least half a second too slow - he should definitely hold on this year when it's more shuffled, shouldn't he? That said, I reckon he'll need at least one more race win and several podiums to get anywhere near that. Vettel is my main worry.

#18 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,438 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:03

Lol, Webber won two races and is not on this poll? What makes you think he won't win another two.

Add Webber to the poll...

#19 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:22

webber will be wolrd champion , and his career will literally take off and will move to mclaren or ferrari to be #1 driver or take #1 status in RB

Advertisement

#20 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:24

webber will be wolrd champion , and his career will literally take off and will move to mclaren or ferrari to be #1 driver or take #1 status in RB

either this, or Hamilton. LH is more possible.

#21 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:34

Alonso, it's already set in stone.

lol @ people who voted Kimi.

#22 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:39

If next one or two races go Vettel's way, there will be no way stopping him.

#23 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:40

That will not happen.
But want to see some of yours when Alonso wins his 3. championchip! :cat:

#24 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 158 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:55

That will not happen.
But want to see some of yours when Alonso wins his 3. championchip! :cat:

Cheeky response. :lol:

Maybe my statement was a little reminiscent of Abu Dhabi 2010 when Monte broke the television.. :lol:

But I honestly feel Raikkonen has a fighting chance.

Ferrari have come out and admitted their upgrades have not gone to plan. And the team has went back to the drawing board to revise what went wrong. I give Ferrari a lot of credit to turn around that pig of a car we saw in pre-season and Australia. And even more kudos to Alonso for his spectacular driving this year. Ferrari haven't done much wrong aside from strategy in Canada. But let's see how it goes down the stretch. This is what matters most.

As for Lotus: everything seems to be coming together at the right time. Raikkonen's Sunday pace is second to none at the moment. They just need to nail Saturday. And maybe SPA will be the boost the team ultimately need to get over the hurdle. As I mentioned before: I feel Raikkonen has a realistic chance to win back-to-back after the summer break. And that would likely propel him to P2 in the standings. More importantly, Lotus seem to have a very good foundation to upgrade upon. And their DDRS will be very fascinating. If it works to plan: will this force other teams to rapidly develop a similar system? I know this is a "what if." But I think the DDRS in addition to planned upgrades will make the Lotus extremely competitive in the second half of the season. And I believe in Raikkonen to deliver.

#25 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:05

Alonso had the best car plenty of times.

If Alonso almost won in 2010 with those non-shuffled races in a car that was at least half a second too slow - he should definitely hold on this year when it's more shuffled, shouldn't he? That said, I reckon he'll need at least one more race win and several podiums to get anywhere near that. Vettel is my main worry.

Alonso inherited 2 wins in 2010 because of Vettel's reliability issues and another of his wins came after destroying Button's car.

Edited by BigCHrome, 04 August 2012 - 17:07.

#26 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:10

Some pro and contra:

-Lewis: his performance hangs on the car's performance.
He had the best car at the start of the season and had fantastic car in Canada, Germany and Hungary and can get everything out of the car if that is competitive. McLaren have found a fantastic pace recently. If Lewis gets the best car, he cannot be beaten.

I just noticed this....er what?

#27 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:12

Alonso missed his last 2 opportunities of winning WDC title, so I think he's very motivated for this one. Alonso 70%, rest 30% with Lewis and Vettel having slightly better chances compared to Kimi and Webber.

Edited by velgajski1, 04 August 2012 - 17:12.

#28 Rosaudio

Rosaudio

• 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:20

Wait so you didnt add Webber to the pole because he has no chance of becoming WDC in your opinion? Isnt that the point of a poll, to see other people's opinions.. not just your own?

#29 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:22

Wait so you didnt add Webber to the pole because he has no chance of becoming WDC in your opinion? Isnt that the point of a poll, to see other people's opinions.. not just your own?

The point of OP was to write how Alonso has been perfect all season and to bash other WDC drivers :)

#30 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:27

I just noticed this....er what?

Apparently there are people who are not 100% certain of Hamilton being the best drver of ever...

#31 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:33

The point of OP was to write how Alonso has been perfect all season and to bash other WDC drivers :)

...and the winner is Velgajski! :clap:

Except for that the poll is actually quite interesting... if Webber were included as mentioned by several others.

#32 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:36

Apparently there are people who are not 100% certain of Hamilton being the best drver of ever...

More that there's someone who thinks he needs the best car to drive well. Which can now be added to can only win from pole, only on dry tracks with fast corners, only on Bridgestones, only on Michelins, only if he copies FA's setup, only if Nicole is there, and only if there's no pressure.

#33 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:41

QFT. look at his posts, most of them are about "I think Fernando is the bestestest in the world, and we are lucky to have this bestestest driver in the world in ferrari, because he wins even if we are down to toro rosso levels. I honestly love you Fernando. :love: "

also:
"Germany was the best example for that. Button and Vettel had better cars"
while Domenicali and Alonso both said that they must do something with the car, because they were nowhere in hungary, even though they had the best car in germany :lol:

btw, I voted Kimi. my 6th sense that said Kimi in 2007, Seb in 2010 around this time, says Kimi. :smoking:

Edited by Zava, 04 August 2012 - 17:42.

#34 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:46

You really aren't funny did you see the point I was responding too?

I would think out of all of the drivers Hamilton stands up there as getting the maximum out of the car regardless of its performance.

#35 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:09

I refuse to answer unless Webber is on the poll. This is stupid. :confused:

Edited by Diablobb81, 04 August 2012 - 18:10.

#36 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:02

there cant be everyone knows that :rotfl:
but clearly the OP has forgotton that hamilton has had far more points lost due to his teams failuers than the few mistakes he has made this year.
And without those team mistakes Lewis would if not be leading the wdc atleast be right there with Alonso.
But lets not take anything away from Alonso he has performed to his best this year.
IMHO Lewis and Alonso are the two best drivers in F1 and they are showing why i consider them considerably better than Vettell this year.

Edited by itsademo, 04 August 2012 - 19:06.

#37 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:08

I'm quite confident Kimi has a good shot. It'll be between Fernando and Kimi. Lotus looks good and with the DDRS Kimi has very good chance for back to back victories at Spa and Monza, as someone mentioned earlier.

Edited by tommi34, 04 August 2012 - 19:10.

#38 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:15

LOL, set in stone my behind. He has a win and third ahead of faster cars. One dnf for him and the second place guy is gonna be within 15 points and we have 9 races to go.

Yea i wouldn't vote for Kimi either but i wouldn't laugh at people who think he could do it. He won his from further back and he has the fastest car.

#39 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:16

lol @ people who think the championship is set in stone. :lol:

Advertisement

#40 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:19

I'm quite confident Kimi has a good shot. It'll be between Fernando and Kimi. Lotus looks good and with the DDRS Kimi has very good chance for back to back victories at Spa and Monza, as someone mentioned earlier.

:up:

#41 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:32

I voted Alonso because that's what the thread starter wants to see.

#42 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:51

Posted Image

#43 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:58

I voted Alonso because that's what the thread starter wants to see.

I like your "give 'em what they want and they won't beg for attention as much" attitude. :p

#44 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 19:58

Alonso has an almost insurmountable advantage, but I can't count out Raikkonen knowing what he's done in 2nd halves of seasons in the past.

#45 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:30

You Hamilton fans are funny. Always insecure, always complaining about even one single word which doesnt fit into the image of 'perfect' Lewis in your heads.

As an individual I disagreed with a point, and raised an objection, if you have a problem with my objection than by all means please point out what it is you disagree with and why, the more coherent the reply the better.

Resorting to inaccurate gross generalisations, only reflects poorly on yourself and the point you're trying to get across, also avoiding a question asked of you in a previous post also looks bad

Please get back to me, when you've decided to act like someone with a modicum of intelligence.

#46 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:33

I think and hope Alonso. He is overdue.

If someone else had to, Webber, for the others will get many more chances to come I'm sure.

Edited by Disgrace, 04 August 2012 - 20:34.

#47 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:50

Alonso, in a shuffled season like this consistency matters, and he's been the most consistent.

I didn't vote Kimi, and I'm certainly not surprised that a lot of people did as he has quite the fanbase, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable even if he did win the championship.

#48 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:03

As an individual I disagreed with a point, and raised an objection, if you have a problem with my objection than by all means please point out what it is you disagree with and why, the more coherent the reply the better.

Resorting to inaccurate gross generalisations, only reflects poorly on yourself and the point you're trying to get across, also avoiding a question asked of you in a previous post also looks bad

Please get back to me, when you've decided to act like someone with a modicum of intelligence.

I think its easy to understand that I was disagreeing with you after such ironic manner I used in that post. Thats avoiding the question? That 'question' was nothing more than "Did you see". How did you want me to answer it? By typing "Yes I did see"? The way you reacted to my post just confirms what I wrote. You are acting the same way like other Hamilton fans and I pointed it out. Oh and I strong recommend to firstly check whether you are acting like someone with a modicum of intelligence yourself before you start to accuse others of it.

#49 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,219 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:20

ALONSO. It was agreed between Ferrari and Redbull in Silverstone last year, when Ferrari did let Red Bull to continue with their difusor. F1 is big business and deals like this are usual. Next year is someone elses turn :rotfl:

Edited by jstrains, 04 August 2012 - 21:23.

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:49

Lewis' performance hangs on the car, actually not. Look at Button.

I have no idea who'll be the WDC.

And poll does need at least two more options, Webber and I Don't Know.

Edited by Atreiu, 04 August 2012 - 21:53.