Photo

Who will be the champion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will be the champion? (274 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will be the champion?

1. Fernando Alonso (114 votes [41.61%])

Percentage of vote: 41.61%

2. Lewis Hamilton (49 votes [17.88%])

Percentage of vote: 17.88%

3. Sebastian Vettel (24 votes [8.76%])

Percentage of vote: 8.76%

4. Kimi Raikkönen (74 votes [27.01%])

Percentage of vote: 27.01%

5. Someone else (13 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Vote

#51 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,889 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:29

Why is webber not in the poll? He's currently 2nd in the championship.

Not that I personally believe he's ever going to be a world champion, but still.

No kidding. Some peoples' bias is just overwhelming. So he did not think Webber might have a shot at it. I guess noone can then.

Advertisement

#52 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:31

So many votes for Räikkonen? A World champion without a win? :)

#53 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,501 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:33

He will have them if/when he wins the title.

#54 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:37

ALONSO. It was agreed between Ferrari and Redbull in Silverstone last year, when Ferrari did let Red Bull to continue with their difusor. F1 is big business and deals like this are usual. Next year is someone elses turn :rotfl:

Coulthard's?

#55 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:39

Raikkonen came within only 2 points of winning the 2003 championship despite only one victory, of course it is possibly to be champion with a sole win win, although it's more difficult now because of the new point system.

Edited by Kingshark, 04 August 2012 - 22:40.

#56 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,889 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:43

A WDC is not decided on the number of wins. Just so you know.

#57 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 22:52

A lot of faith being put in Kimi here. Spa will most likely be cool and I can see him lose ground there again due to the Lotus trend of not performing in cooler conditions.

Plenty of the upcoming tracks suit Ferrari a lot more than Hungary as well, so overhauling the points deficit to Alonso is going to be a mammoth task.

If Ferrari can improve their qualifying pace then Alonso will cruise and collect. I already have Alonso down for at least 2 more wins (Monza and Singapore).

PS. I agree with many others here. This Alonso outperforming the car talk has got to stop. Since Bracelona he has had the best all round car.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 04 August 2012 - 22:53.

#58 Zava

Zava

• 5,018 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:02

A lot of faith being put in Kimi here. Spa will most likely be cool and I can see him lose ground there again due to the Lotus trend of not performing in cooler conditions.

Plenty of the upcoming tracks suit Ferrari a lot more than Hungary as well, so overhauling the points deficit to Alonso is going to be a mammoth task.

If Ferrari can improve their qualifying pace then Alonso will cruise and collect. I already have Alonso down for at least 2 more wins (Monza and Singapore).

PS. I agree with many others here. This Alonso outperforming the car talk has got to stop. Since Bracelona he has had the best all round car.

recently I read a Boullier interview and he said they're OK now with the cold temps, only rain is bad for them (because of no fancy exhausts, probably) also, there's a great chance that DDRS is gonna be raced from spa on.
and I don't get why everyone says upcoming races are 'ferrari territory'. isn't their top speed bad, which would hamper them in the 20-25 seconds full throttle parts of the upcoming races? and before you go there, yes I know red bull had bad top speed last year and still won these two races, but their car was a bit better than this year's ferrari.
and for the last sentence: :up: I'm full of the "OMG Alonso's dominating in the 4th best car", considering since barcelona they only had bad pace in hungary, and were up there in any other race.

#59 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,013 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:15

ALONSO. It was agreed between Ferrari and Redbull in Silverstone last year, when Ferrari did let Red Bull to continue with their diffusor. F1 is big business and deals like this are usual. Next year is someone elses turn :rotfl:

that will still be better than crashgate v2.0 type of WDC decider :p

joking aside, exclusion of Webber makes this poll :down:

Advertisement

#60 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:29

5864326[/url]']
I think its easy to understand that I was disagreeing with you after such ironic manner I used in that post. Thats avoiding the question? That 'question' was nothing more than "Did you see". How did you want me to answer it? By typing "Yes I did see"? The way you reacted to my post just confirms what I wrote. You are acting the same way like other Hamilton fans and I pointed it out. Oh and I strong recommend to firstly check whether you are acting like someone with a modicum of intelligence yourself before you start to accuse others of it.

No not clear at all sorry.You keep trying to generalise the argument as one of a deluded Hamilton fanboy but you appear unable to challenge my objection that Hamilton can only perform when the car is good, an objection based on his performance relative to his team mates in the same team especially when the car has been less than stellar. My reaction was the standard response to someone who only wants to play the man and not the ball, want a better response? Have a better argument

Edited by Kvothe, 05 August 2012 - 02:32.

#61 P123

P123

• 8,391 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:31

joking aside, exclusion of Webber makes this poll :down:

Yep, Webber is a fairly large oversight for inclusion in the poll.

#62 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 23:44

recently I read a Boullier interview and he said they're OK now with the cold temps, only rain is bad for them (because of no fancy exhausts, probably) also, there's a great chance that DDRS is gonna be raced from spa on.
and I don't get why everyone says upcoming races are 'ferrari territory'. isn't their top speed bad, which would hamper them in the 20-25 seconds full throttle parts of the upcoming races? and before you go there, yes I know red bull had bad top speed last year and still won these two races, but their car was a bit better than this year's ferrari.
and for the last sentence: :up: I'm full of the "OMG Alonso's dominating in the 4th best car", considering since barcelona they only had bad pace in hungary, and were up there in any other race.

I haven't seen the Boullier piece. Thanks for pointing that out.

As far as Ferrari's straight line pace is concerned it is greatly improved as seen in Hungary (where they were quite high in the speed trap), Germany and I could make a case for Canada as well. All Ferrari's preseason problems have to a large extent been dealt with already.

What they need now is qualifying improvements...

Regarding why people are saying the upcoming tracks are Ferrari territory... I would say they're wrong as the season has demonstrated that there are no tracks that are territory for a particular team. I merely said the upcoming tracks suit Ferrari a lot more than Hungary because the F2012 is very adept at medium/high speed turns and rapid changes of direction at speed. Even in Hungary nobody was quicker than Ferrari in the 2nd sector and Alonso was especially early on throttle through turn 5.

#63 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:13

i think Lewis would take it,the Mclaren is very fast,and the pitstops look to be on track and the driver is focused,of course the guy he is chasing is Alonso and such a gap like that is hard to overcome but it's still possible.

#64 icecream

icecream

• 409 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:28

poll fail.

#65 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,653 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 00:50

Sebastian or Kimi.

:D

#66 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:21

poll fail.

yup..
different thread but same agenda.

@Kvothe
don't waste your time.. :)

#67 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,753 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:43

Dude, your first sentences in the thread already tell me it's useless to discuss this with any objectivity: "Fernando's "comfortable" lead there are some other drivers who seem to have better chance thanks to their better cars. What is you opinion?

Some pro and contra:

-Fernando: he has never had the best car this season,

Taking everything into account: driveability in all conditions, reliability, decent speed in most circuits, that claim isn't anywhere close to being a fact, i.e., it's very much arguable.

#68 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,445 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:46

if webber wins I can't wait to come back to this thread and scream 'someone else! someone else!'

what a great season someone else had, beating alonso in the last race, someone else really stepped up this year. That overtake around eau roughe by someone else on alonso for the second year in a row was awesome!

#69 908T

908T

• 174 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:24

Raikkonen is the latest Ferrari F1 World Champion but Alonso might finally be the new one, as the starter of this topic seems to want.

The positive for Alonso is that he has a 40 points lead, clearly the best car and number 1 status at Ferrari, also he seems to be very "lucky" with Charlie and his safetycars.
The negative for Alonso is that he might again blow it as he did at the end of 2010, Vettel, Webber, Hamilton or Raikkonen might get the points to win, and even Ferrari might break sometime.

So, nine to go, still 225 points to get!

Edited by 908T, 05 August 2012 - 05:48.

#70 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:07

I read your comments. Two stuffs to mention:

-I may have expressed myself in the wrong way when I claimed Lewis' performance hangs on the car's pace. I wanted to say when Lewis has the best car there is no way to snatch the win from him. Obviously he is brilliant when he doesn't have the besrt car. If you know my attitude a llittle bit, you should know, I always say Fernando and Lewis are the best out there. These two guys can get the most out of the car whatever the conditions are. Of course, that's just my opinion.

-Webber: as mentioned: there are some tracks where he can keep up and beat Sebastian - Silverstone, Monaco, Barca-, but often he doesn't have the pace for unknown reasons. In Bahrain and Germany he was miles off the pace set by Sebastiian. The consistency isn't there by him. He can be as fast as the best, but just under certain circumstances.

#71 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 445 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:38

Alonso. He's not having the fastest car, but he can do it.

#72 Realyn

Realyn

• 555 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:41

Lol at not adding Webber.
Lol at someone with that nick adding Alonso as first pool choice.

Anyway, think Vettel is gonna luck one out.

#73 DrF

DrF

• 1,450 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:47

If Kimi can sort his qualifying out and start higher than P5 every race, then he's in with a chance. His race pace is fantastic, he just needs to start further up the grid.

#74 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:47

No Webber = poll invalid. :rolleyes:

Inclusion of Raikkonen but not Grosjean or Webber = poll invalid. :rolleyes:

#75 joshb

joshb

• 3,285 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00

Lol at not adding Webber.
Lol at someone with that nick adding Alonso as first pool choice.

Anyway, think Vettel is gonna luck one out and haters gonna hate. Alot.

not sure how you can luck in to a title, but it would be nice if Vettel repeated 2010 and crept in through the back door at the last minute.
Still think Webber is a factor, he's capable of brilliant weekends (even if he has mediocre races too often still)
Dark horse would be Kimi
Alonso favourite for me though- Hamilton could challenge if Mclaren get it right consistantly.

#76 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:05

Guess its between Alonso and Raikkonen by the pole so if Vettel or Hamilton win its going to be something pretty special from this point.

#77 Zava

Zava

• 5,018 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:06

inclusion of Grosjean but not Button in criticism = criticism invalid. :p
seriously, anyoune out of the top5 is now out of the game, so not including Grosjean (and Button) makes it valid I think. however I agree with the opinion that Webber should be in it, even if he seems like the least probable to many.

btw, based on your last line, I dare you a beer that Raikkönen will finish in front of Grosjean and Webber, if I win and you are in hungary ever, I'll make you pay like hell :smoking:

#78 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:36

Actually. I just want to see Monte's face if Raikkonen wins the championship from Fernando. :clap:

:lol: Me too.

Woted for Kimi. The Iceman seems to enjoy the hunt and so does the team.

But actually, I think Hamilton has a good chance this year too. Lewis seems to be controlling his feelings better this year.
And if McLaren stops making stupid mistakes on pit and the car can hang on in the developing race, so...

#79 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:39

I voted Alonso because that's what the thread starter wants to see.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So kind of you.

I'm a kind person too, but there are limits...  ;)

Advertisement

#80 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:49

Posted Image

:p You so mean...

I don't either think Webber is going to win it, but I think he should be in the poll.
Two wins and second place should give him the honour...

#81 matthewf1

matthewf1

• 76 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:50

I cannot take this poll seriously as you have left Webber, the man 2nd in the championship, out of it. Hopeless.

#82 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:24

I agree that Webber should've been included, but I think anyone behind Kimi is out of it, Kimi is 48 points behind Alonso, that is possible, but very hard, however, the guys behind Kimi (Rosberg, Button, Grosjean) are nearly 90 points behind Alonso. That ain't gonna happen.

#83 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:18

I read your comments. Two stuffs to mention:

-I may have expressed myself in the wrong way when I claimed Lewis' performance hangs on the car's pace. I wanted to say when Lewis has the best car there is no way to snatch the win from him. Obviously he is brilliant when he doesn't have the besrt car. If you know my attitude a llittle bit, you should know, I always say Fernando and Lewis are the best out there. These two guys can get the most out of the car whatever the conditions are. Of course, that's just my opinion.

-Webber: as mentioned: there are some tracks where he can keep up and beat Sebastian - Silverstone, Monaco, Barca-, but often he doesn't have the pace for unknown reasons. In Bahrain and Germany he was miles off the pace set by Sebastiian. The consistency isn't there by him. He can be as fast as the best, but just under certain circumstances.

You could have saved me some posting :)

#84 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,611 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:07

Ask me after brazil

#85 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,890 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 16:51

I agree Webber lacks the consistency and seems lost at times, but, what if? It's not impossible.

#86 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,677 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 17:16

Sorry, but Ferrari really is the best car right now. It is very fast and works all the time.
This You can not claim when talking of the Lotus or the RedBull or the McLaren.
These three are doing odd things all the time, fast sometimes, slow sometimes, Kers breaks, alternators break and so on.

What do you mean by works? Is being the fourth best car in a given race (Hungary) working?

#87 Menace

Menace

• 12,306 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 18:54

I can see how you would think Kimi has no chance, if you listen to Lobato every weekend though. That guy has to be the most biased, most clueless TV commentator following F1. :drunk:

Edited by Menace, 05 August 2012 - 18:54.

#88 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 23:33

What do you mean by works? Is being the fourth best car in a given race (Hungary) working?

Hungary is very untypical. Hockenheim and Silverstone are better indicators of comparative pace.

I still think Alonso has it in the bag, unless there's a team meltdown, by which I mean updates which don't work, messed-up pitstops and strategy, unreliability etc.

#89 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:04

5863873[/url]']
There is some time to take a breath during this extremely though and competitive season. I think despite Fernando's "comfortable" lead there are some other drivers who seem to have better chance thanks to their better cars. What is you opinion?

Some pro and contra:

-Fernando: he has never had the best car this season, but he was absolutely faultless, brilliant. Germany was the best example for that. Button and Vettel had better cars, but Seb was very nervous, went off the track a couple of times. Button couldn't make the move on Schumi at the start, then flatspotted his tyre right after his last stop and couldn't look after the tyres, he was following Fernando too closely and ruined his front tyres and suffered from massive tyre wear. Alonso was the only man who did everything spot on.

Balls ... Not thanks to their better cars ... But maybe because Nando is too soft and conservative when leading ...and maybe others are better drivers than him and More ruthless ....
Especially vettel. And do u think vettel went off track in germany becuase he was nervous .. Lol

Edited by flyer121, 06 August 2012 - 01:07.

#90 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:47

Balls ... Not thanks to their better cars ... But maybe because Nando is too soft and conservative when leading ...and maybe others are better drivers than him and More ruthless ....
Especially vettel. And do u think vettel went off track in germany becuase he was nervous .. Lol

The aforementioned seems to forget how valuable running in clear-air is for preserving tyres.

And, since when did drivers who were nervous go off the track? :stoned: More like he was pushing to close down the gap.

#91 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:13

Alonso has a comfortable lead, I'm sure the lead can be decreased however I dont think the Ferrari will be as off the pace as it was in the last race so Alonso will be WDC.

Lewis has a good shot but Mclaren will find some way to screw things up.

The Red Bulls - Vettel has the best chance but Webber will take points off him at times.

Kimi can never be discounted but a fast car on race day isnt enough and Lotus is still prone to bad strategy decisions.

So Alonso will win.

#92 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,027 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:30

lol what

where is webber?

#93 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:17

Hamilton.

The McLaren works again and he has been driving fantastic this year. Add his natural speed it will only dpeend on McLaren to avoid the stupid faults they made in earlier races and Lewis will be unbeatable.

#94 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:42

The aforementioned seems to forget how valuable running in clear-air is for preserving tyres.

And, since when did drivers who were nervous go off the track? :stoned: More like he was pushing to close down the gap.

Although it helps, there have been quite a few drivers who have blown this theory. People just don't want to accept that it can be done even running at good pace for whatever reason.

#95 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:45

I can see how you would think Kimi has no chance, if you listen to Lobato every weekend though. That guy has to be the most biased, most clueless TV commentator following F1. :drunk:

:lol:

#96 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 751 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:58

I want it to be Lewis - just need to see if McLaren can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Of course they can. It's the one thing they are particularly good at.

#97 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:42

lol what

where is webber?

Exactly - Out of the drivers who have the most chances for the Gold ... one is languishing out of medals table ( 4th :) ) and the other has not even qualified for the finals !!

#98 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:57

The lack of Webber in the poll is really daft. :down:

I'm going to use my brain and vote for Alonso because he's been so stellar even though my heart is begging me to vote for Raikkonen.

#99 fifi

fifi

• 12,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:06

alonso - cant see past him unless ferrari have some kind of major breakdown for the rest of the season

Advertisement

#100 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,900 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:12

alonso, and most deserving of it as well. look at where his team mate is in terms of pace. I know massa is damaged goods and probably not a good comparison, but it is really something special from alonso this season.