Photo

We've lost the 'First Lady' of Australian motor sport

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:25

Back in 1965 I was on the top of the mountain at Bathurst. It was April 19 and the race meeting was well advanced, then between two races there was an announcement over the Public Address.

The commentator introduced Diana Davison to the crowd and, with a short speech that belied the fact that her husband had died just two months earlier, she announced a permanent trophy in Lex Davison's memory to be presented each Easter meeting at Bathurst.

I was so impressed by her presentation that day that I immediately accepted her as the 'First Lady' of Australian Motor Sport. Her gracious manner captivated me, I suppose; but also her bravery so soon after being widowed and her selflessness in giving a trophy aimed at fostering young talent in openwheelers. Just seven weeks after Rocky Tresise had died.

In subsequent times I have met and spoken with the 'First Lady' many times. It has never been a disappointment to be in her presence.

Diana married Tony Gaze some time later and lived with him at Ngambie, about 100 miles north of Melbourne. She watched as two of her sons carried on the family tradition of racing, then as grandsons succeeded in the sport as well.

Today I received the following text message from Jon Davison:

Our dear and esteemed mother, Diana Gaze/Davison passed away last night peacefully at her home, she was 86 years of age. A private family cremation will be held followed by an open service at St Peters, Toorak, later in the week. Details to follow.

Our family mourn the passing of a wonderful mother whose contribution, influence and charm was acknowledged by all.

Mum, we salute you.

Regards,

Jon.

I'm quite sure this will be a blow to Tony, who is at least somewhat frail these days, while many who knew her will recognise her passing as an end to the suffering she's had with cancer over the past year or two. The sad inevitability of this conclusion to the life of this great lady is perhaps made worse by the knowledge that there can be no true successor to her well-deserved title of 'First Lady'.

Remembering back to those black days between Lex's death and Rocky's, the Melbourne newspapers showed just how much of a 'mother' she was. From memory there were eight children, including one pair of twins. The eldest, if I recall correctly, was Anthony, who was there helping in the pits when Jon and Richard were racing. Anthony unfortunately died a number of years ago, something that I have no doubt at all was difficult for Diana.

To the surviving family members and to Tony I offer my condolences. We on the outside cannot fully know what a great role Diana played in your lives, but if what we saw of her was any indication you will be finding this to be a moment of great sadness.

Edited by Ray Bell, 06 August 2012 - 12:26.

Advertisement

#2 wagons46

wagons46

• 316 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 00:47

Ray, your eloquently stated thoughts are representative of us all. Thank you.

Edited by wagons46, 07 August 2012 - 00:49.

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:03

Beautifully done, Ray.

#4 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:14

Beautifully done, Ray.

Thank you so much Ray, Diana was one great lady, a early racer herself and wife of the late Lex Davison. Diana was very much a respected part of the Australian motor racing scene over a lot of years. It's hard to put into words just how much the Davison name is melded into the sport today, three generations on and still at the top of the list. I feel very privileged to have shared time with both Lex and Diana in the 60'. Sometime after Lex's untimely passing Diana took on the new role as wife of Tony Gaze, another legend of our time, but it was Targa Tasmania around 1994 that Diana Gaze was competing in her 1934 Alfa Romeo allowing us to catch up on old times which was nice. My condolences to a family that has indeed lost a great lady....Smed.

#5 baz

baz

• 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:58

Beautifully done, Ray.

Yes Ray she was indeed the first lady of australian motor sport. Condolences to the family at this very sad time. May she long be remembered.

#6 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,622 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:00

Yes, nicely put Ray. RIP Diana. Huge loss for the Davison family.

#7 Mig007

Mig007

• 169 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:08

RIP

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:32

This is extremely sad news. She was a most gracious lady. Sincere condolences to the Davison/Gaze family and many friends.

DCN

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 23:04

I was rather hoping you'd respond, Doug...

I don't know of other times, but I do know you spent a little time with Tony and Diana when the Alfa was auctioned in Sydney. That was the last occasion on which I saw her and I very much regret that I never had the chance to call in on them at home at Ngambie (or Nagambie?). They had recently moved from Tony's property, Gilgai when I was coming through with a chance to call in and I never got a chance after that.

#10 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 17:42

Obituary in the Geelong Advertiser by Danny Lannen:

Motoring legends mourn one of their own
Racing greats Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart and Jack Brabham have shared personal laments following the loss of revered Australian motor racing matriarch Diana Gaze at Barwon Heads.
Their sentiments were among hundreds from across the globe to flood family members measuring admiration for the mother of seven, who was wife of four-time Australian grand prix winner Lex Davison until his death and then wife of Australia's first world championship driver Tony Gaze.
Also an acclaimed race driver, Mrs Gaze was 86.
Richard Davison said his mother had remained passionate about motor racing until her last days and widespread affection for her was clear.
"Messages all contain a similar sentiment, endorsing her wonderful personal qualities and example she always set as a woman and mother," Mr Davison said.
"However, it is the hundreds of messages from everyday people from all walks of life that have touched us the most.
"One of her most endearing qualities was the fact that she was loved by people from all layers of society, not for what she did, but for who she was and the way she treated people, which was the same regardless of their social status."
He said the title of the book about Lex Davison, Larger Than Life, fitted her as much.
Mrs Gaze had an enduring association with Geelong's former sprint racing trials dating to the late 1940s.
She completed a run in the family's vintage Alfa Romeo in the early 1990s.
Mr Davison said one of his mother's wishes had been to live to see her granddaughter Claire Greig, of Barwon Heads, drive in the new incarnation of the trials Geelong Revival 2012 and to see her grandsons Alex and Will Davison race in the Bathurst 1000 in October.
She would be at both in spirit, he said.
Just Cars Geelong Revival director Nicholas Heath hailed Mrs Gaze as a legend in Australian motor sport and a keen participant in Geelong sprints.
"Many will remember her run in the 'Little' Alfa Romeo 6C Special," Mr Heath said.
"When you look back over the times she was running at the event over the years, you can tell she was highly competitive.
"Di's passing, after a long illness will be deeply mourned, within the motorsport community both in Australia and overseas."

From there an obviously fairly recent image:
Posted Image

Earlier times:
Posted Image
(Source)

Memorial Page