Photo

Simtek

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 09 March 2001 - 13:36

I was asked about the Simtek cars and after nosing around found something on them. However, I was asked if anyone knew where any of the remaining chassis were? Not Me! Rumor seems to have it that perhaps one or two are in the USofA. Any ideas?

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 March 2001 - 19:14

Gary C, where are you?

I have an inkling that Gary may know the answer to this one.

(I'm having my inkling removed next week.)

#3 Timm

Timm

• 123 posts

Posted 10 March 2001 - 00:47

If I remember correctly, one or two were bought at the auction by a scrap dealer. Seems apt.

Speaking of Simtek, here's a question;-
What '95 CD had the Simtek on the Cover?

And for a bonus point, who was Nick Wirth's partner at the beginning?

#4 bukusuma

bukusuma

• 227 posts

Posted 10 March 2001 - 07:09

Originally posted by Timm

Max Mosley....

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 10 March 2001 - 08:06

I didn't realise that there is any demand for scrap carbon fibre!!!

:D

#6 Timm

Timm

• 123 posts

Posted 10 March 2001 - 09:58

A point to Bukusuma, but can anyone name the CD? I'll give a clue;- The band is Scottish and the album was voted one of the best of '95 by all the music magazines.

#7 b195

b195

• 469 posts

Posted 11 March 2001 - 10:40

Even without that clue, I was thinking Teenage Fanclub. I'm just hoping that it's a Simtek. OTOH, there aren't likely to be be too many 1995 CDs by Scottish bands with an F1 car on the cover :D

Posted Image

#8 Timm

Timm

• 123 posts

Posted 11 March 2001 - 12:43

Ding Ding We Have A Winner.

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 March 2001 - 15:32

I don't think the Simtek was that bad, it just lacked proper development (read: money). Remember, earlier in the season (Argentina) Jos Verstappen was battling against a Ferrari and a McLaren, running sixth quite early in the race - not bad!

#10 McSlick

McSlick

• 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2001 - 16:07

I know one 95 chassis is in Holland.Every year the company who owns it shows it on the Speed&Design motorsportshow in Utrecht

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2001 - 19:41

Well, there's certainly one chassis at least still in the UK, as it's in the 'Grand Prix de Basildon' video from 1997. I also seem to remember that one was mooted as being entered for the FIA Cup for Thoroughbreds but it has never appeared.
And yes, I managed to buy something from the Simtek auction when they got rid of everything. What was it? A t-shirt! Sorry, lads it was all I could afford!

#12 greenlynx

greenlynx

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2001 - 21:47

I was asked if anyone knew where any of the remaining chassis were?

There is a shiney new tub in the design office of Advanced Composites, in Heanor, Derby, UK.

Looks really the business, but then again who would want it and what could you do with it!

Regards Don

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 31 March 2001 - 02:41

I was at Brooklands Museum on wednesday and they have a Simtek on display in the roof of one of the buildings! I only found out what it was by reading the chassis plate upside down!
Interestingly, it's done up in Cosworth Racing livery (white with Cossie logos) and none of it's original racing livery.

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 07 May 2001 - 21:28

Here is the picture Gary C mentioned in the above post; I am posting it on his behalf.

It really is the correct way up!

Posted Image

#15 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 15:11

If I remember correctly, one or two were bought at the auction by a scrap dealer. Seems apt.

Speaking of Simtek, here's a question;-
What '95 CD had the Simtek on the Cover?

The team I was working for at the time, Swift, bought two of the chassis, I think we paid 3k and 5k and sold the ropier of the pair immediately for 13k, perhaps to a Dutch person. They were without engines, gearbox internals and any electronics. My own personal view having steered them both into the workshop (because I was skinniest at that time...) was they understeered terribly.

#16 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 17:00

That'll be a sure winner for an F1 quiz, then:

Q - When did Ghinzani drive a Simtek?

A - :confused::confused::confused:

:lol:

#17 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,171 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 21:04

I was at the Auction that day and as a very skint ex-student (awaiting 1st real job) I didn't buy much, ended up with 4 mugs and some un-used barge boards (still lying around somewhere) with display car written on them somewhere.

The one thing I do remember was that the monocoque molds were sold for about £10.

#18 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 22:23

At the time of David Brabham driving for them I recall reading somewhere that Sir Jack had invested some money in the team, is that coarrect?

#19 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:13

A complete, running car with all the original decoration (MTV etc) was driven at the Tustin vintage road races in California, then purchased by Dick Marconi of the Marconi Museum fame, and on display there for a long time. Not sure if it is there anymore.

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:27

I do know that two complete and running cars are in the UK, Cirrus could maybe give us a little more information.

#21 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 19:04

One is owned by Peter Alexander, who races it in EuroBOSS.

#22 Nello

Nello

• 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 19:23

Yes as seen here at the Jim Clark Festival, 2007-04-28 (Hockenheim): :

Posted Image

#23 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 20:37

I think Nick Worth is "da bomb" and the Simtek was a spectacularly beautiful car. A real shame it will always be associated with the deaths at Imola.

#24 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:34

Last year in october at a motor show in Holland I spoke to a guy whom I met before at historic monoposto racing in Zandvoort. He told me he had bought a Simtek. So at that time one was owned by a Dutchman.

#25 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:44

I heard somewhere that there was a connection between Panoz and Simtek (Nick Wirth) around 2001 when they produced LMP roadster. Can someone tell a bit more? thnx

#26 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:27

I do know that two complete and running cars are in the UK, Cirrus could maybe give us a little more information.

Classic F3 racer, Paul Smith owns two Simteks. Both he and Peter Alexander have raced them occasionally over the last few years. I think that's Peter in the Hockenheim pic.

Edited by Cirrus, 22 June 2009 - 10:28.

#27 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:30

I think Nick Worth is "da bomb" and the Simtek was a spectacularly beautiful car. A real shame it will always be associated with the deaths at Imola.

Nick Wirth is now part of the Manor Motorsport entry into F1

#28 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:29

Nick Wirth is now part of the Manor Motorsport entry into F1

Very opinionated, and very full of himself. Anyone remember that Benetton he was responsible for, the one with front driveshafts?

#29 Auriga

Auriga

• 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:11

Hi All

I am Peter Alexander and yes, that is me in the S951 at Hockenheim! It is the ex Dominico Schiattarella car. It is still in the Uk and lives with the ex Jos Verstappen S951 both are complete and race ready and to original spec. One other 95 tub was made but never ever built into a race car. As has already been mentioned there is an S941 hanging upside down at Brooklands and I know of another incomplete S941 in the UK mostly original. Would love to hear from anyone about Simteks, does anyone have any Simtek transporter pics?

#30 Gene

Gene

• 112 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 17:08

If anybody knows where he is currently, ex Jag and Toyota engineer, Humphrey Corbet was at at Simtek.
He might be able to add some info to the Simtek story.

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 18:28

Corbet was at the DAMS GP2 for a season or two I think, and is currently on A1GP Team South Africa, also run by DAMS.

#32 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:37

Max Mosley....

I was going to start a new thread about this.

Does anyone know the full story behind the team. How can the president of the FIA start up his own team. I never read he was involved at the time.

Pitpass seem to say this was all political but wanted to find out some more details

#33 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:56

I was going to start a new thread about this. Does anyone know the full story behind the team. How can the president of the FIA start up his own team. I never read he was involved at the time.

Actually Nick Wirth and 'Mad Max' already founded Simtek in 1989, so four years before Mosley became president of the FIA. After being elected he sold his shares to Wirth.

#34 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:13

Actually Nick Wirth and 'Mad Max' already founded Simtek in 1989, so four years before Mosley became president of the FIA. After being elected he sold his shares to Wirth.

thanks for the info. Must admit I only heard of Simtek when they entered F1. Thought they were improving and just missed out on a few points when the team folded

#35 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:36

Hi All

I am Peter Alexander and yes, that is me in the S951 at Hockenheim! It is the ex Dominico Schiattarella car. It is still in the Uk and lives with the ex Jos Verstappen S951 both are complete and race ready and to original spec. One other 95 tub was made but never ever built into a race car. As has already been mentioned there is an S941 hanging upside down at Brooklands and I know of another incomplete S941 in the UK mostly original. Would love to hear from anyone about Simteks, does anyone have any Simtek transporter pics?

I have a picture of one of the Foden tractors in its second life when working as a tractor for Glendinnings of Ashburton and used hauling aggregate out of their quarry. It had not been repainted at the time still having a dark livery and unlettered. It was subsequently repainted and I believe they still run it.

#36 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 13:48

thanks for the info. Must admit I only heard of Simtek when they entered F1. Thought they were improving and just missed out on a few points when the team folded

Actually Simtek started to build a F1 car for BMW untill the project was canceled. That particular chassis was used by the illfated Andrea Moda for the 1992 season and we all know how that ended. After another failing F1 project ('Bravo') wizzkid Wirth started to build up his own F1 team which was marred by financial problems throughout its existence.

#37 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:16

I think Nick Worth is "da bomb".

I am affraid that I (and quite a few people in the business) would disagree.

As a team owner Mr. Wirth made quite a mess of things and many people's money went down the drain. I know that running yourself (and others) into the ground is often mistaken for "passion" if it concerns a racing team, but there comes a point when it simply becomes insane and close to stealing.

As a designer he still has to prove himself. Yes 'his' Acura did win the ALMS but there was no one around to beat. Lets see what the Virgin will do to his reputation.

As for Imola 1994; anyone who had a closer look at the Simteks and Pacifics in those days (and I did), could see what effect a total lack of money has on safety issues and although one knows accidents can happen anytime and to anyone, it was hard to forget that effect when Roland's accident happened.

#38 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:27

As a team owner Mr. Wirth made quite a mess of things and many people's money went down the drain. I know that running yourself (and others) into the ground is often mistaken for "passion" if it concerns a racing team, but there comes a point when it simply becomes insane and close to stealing.

As a designer he still has to prove himself. Yes 'his' Acura did win the ALMS but there was no one around to beat. Lets see what the Virgin will do to his reputation.

As for Imola 1994; anyone who had a closer look at the Simteks and Pacifics in those days (and I did), could see what effect a total lack of money has on safety issues and although one knows accidents can happen anytime and to anyone, it was hard to forget that effect when Roland's accident happened.

sure it is the job of the FIA to say what is and isn't safe. Never seen any footage of the crash so don't really know what happened but the FIA gave them a licence and let them race that weekend so if it was known in F1 circles the car wasn't good enough then the FIA should have acted

#39 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:28

Nevertheless the safety cell was pretty much intact, it was the sickening almost head on impact that killed him.

Advertisement

#40 ebeneezer2

ebeneezer2

• 154 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:51

I think he probably tried to take on too much himself, he seemed to be in charge of designing the cars as well as dealing with sponsors, allocating budget etc, all at the age of about 27 or something. However, the car did look pretty good in the early 1995 races. Even the Andrea Moda car probably wasn't that bad, it did qualify ahead of about 8 cars at Monaco after all, it was the way the team was run that was the problem there.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about safety though, I thought it has been established that the front wing was loosened by an off-track excursion during the previous lap, I'm not aware that the fact it then came off was due to any fault with the Simtek. And while we're at it, what was wrong with the Pacific?

#41 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 17:58

sure it is the job of the FIA to say what is and isn't safe. Never seen any footage of the crash so don't really know what happened but the FIA gave them a licence and let them race that weekend so if it was known in F1 circles the car wasn't good enough then the FIA should have acted

No! It is the job of the car designer and manufacturer to make sure the car is safe. It is the job of the circuit owner to make sure the circuit is safe. Or at least to do their best to do so.

The FIA can't really say definitively that something is or is not safe. Their role is to provide advice and guidance in the form of regulations. When something not conceived at the time the regulations were written appears then they should change the regulations. And they are entitled to do so on safety grounds. Examples: Wings when they first appeared, the Brabham fan car (particularly the dust it threw out), ground effects etc.

Unfortunately in this age of over-regulation this distinction has become blurred and compliance with the FIA Regulations themselves, rather than the underlying principles, is often thought to mean "being safe". Also changes for other purposes have been introduced on occasions using "Safety" as the justification.

#42 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 22:00

Maybe I should explain a little. Obviously a car has to meet the FIA standards to be allowed to race, although I could tell you an interesting story how the Simtek-built Andrea Moda's were hastily cleared to race when the team had to quicly replace its Colini-chassis early on in 1992. And just so you don't have it from me. here's the version of that story that is out on the internet anyway...

...Sassetti bought the designs, and in the two weeks until the next round in Mexico, the Andrea Moda mechanics worked feverishly to build the two chassis, dubbed the S921. They received help after hours from mechanics from other teams, who dropped in to assist for a bit of extra dough. There were fears that certain parts of the chassis would be unable to withstand the mandatory crash test, but that was nothing that a bit of carbon fibre sticking plaster couldn't fix. And there were scurrilous rumours that Max Mosley was drumming up support for the team because he was a Simtek shareholder!
The chassis were miraculously prepared in time to be flown to Mexico...

As for the Simteks and Pacifics that raced in 1994, of course we can expect every team member of any F1-team at any time in history doing all that is available to him to build and prepare a car as safely as possible. But when what is "available" is very limited, as was the case with a number of teams up until the mid-nineties, it is impossible not to compromise. Naturally we are talking detail stuff here (although the car Andrea Moda let McCarthy go out in at Spa was simply lethal), but obviously details can make a huge difference, as do decissions to repair things rather than replace them.

Just a small example. After first practice at Montreal in 1989, then Ferrar-designer John Barnard begged Moreno and his engineer to please use certain bump stops on their EuroBrun, as the car was all over the place in the chicane leading up to the pit straight and Barnard was sure that at some point it would end up in the pitland and mow down the Ferrari-team which were working out of the first two garages. Moreno and the engineer agreed with Barnard and said. "We would. If we'd have them!"

There are many drivers and team members of minor teams who could tell you some of their lets say eventful experiences in this field in those days. I worked with one of those teams and more than ones patched up floors were put on the car that really should not have been on it anymore. And this was not terribly long ago.

I am not saying that this is what caused Roland Ratzenberger's accident (lest we forget, a wing failed on Berger's Ferrari at Imola 5 years earlier and Ferrari had enough money), just that it was hard. when the crash had happended, to not think about the circumstances the team had to operate under.

#43 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 23:55

I understand the Ratzenberger car can be accounted for as buried. I think all bar one Simtek chassis is accounted for.

Edited by Thundersport, 28 March 2012 - 23:15.

#44 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 15:11

Post 29 & 35 :

I remember a picture in one Autosport issue , someonbe forgot to handbrake the Foden and it ran down a ditch.........

Unfortunately I have lost the picture and an asking on the Transporter thread has not resulted in viewing that picture. It was b/w , approx. 2"x 3", on the first pages.

#45 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,580 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 15:30

Worse even - what happened to the Lola MasterCard chassis?

#46 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 19:09

From Unraced... by Sam Collins, chassis 1 & 2 (Sospiri and Rosset) are in use at a racing school in Canada, chassis 3 (spare car) is owned by Martin Birrane and is located in Dublin, and the tub for the uncompleted chassis is still at the Lola factory in Huntingdon.

Edited by midgrid, 06 January 2011 - 19:09.

#47 pizzakrap

pizzakrap

• 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 22:09

No! It is the job of the car designer and manufacturer to make sure the car is safe. It is the job of the circuit owner to make sure the circuit is safe. Or at least to do their best to do so.

The FIA can't really say definitively that something is or is not safe. Their role is to provide advice and guidance in the form of regulations. When something not conceived at the time the regulations were written appears then they should change the regulations. And they are entitled to do so on safety grounds. Examples: Wings when they first appeared, the Brabham fan car (particularly the dust it threw out), ground effects etc.

Unfortunately in this age of over-regulation this distinction has become blurred and compliance with the FIA Regulations themselves, rather than the underlying principles, is often thought to mean "being safe". Also changes for other purposes have been introduced on occasions using "Safety" as the justification.

of course it was foitek who drove for eurobrun in 89 moreno didnt join till 90 and hadnt barnard moved on as well by that point :-)

#48 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 00:34

The late James Prochowski of Protune and a business partner were the major purchasers of Simtek at the sale. JP bid on what he thought was a cabinet and found he had bought all the cabinets and their contents on one wall. He bought if my informant is correct at least 2 cars, which he sold on.

#49 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 22:56

There's a discussion taking place in the F1 Rejects forums about a one-off, hard-to-read sponsor that appeared on the rear-wing endplates of the S941 during the 1994 Pacific Grand Prix. If anyone has any idea as to the identity of this mystery sponsor, then your input would be greatly appreciated, either here or there!

#50 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:41

The late James Prochowski of Protune and a business partner were the major purchasers of Simtek at the sale. JP bid on what he thought was a cabinet and found he had bought all the cabinets and their contents on one wall. He bought if my informant is correct at least 2 cars, which he sold on.

We had two in our workshop in 96 that came straight from the sale - both 941's, I think we sold them on pretty quick.