Photo

DRS at Spa ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:06

I believe SPA totally lost its charm with the DRS zone last year . With the Pirelli's I was really hoping for a great race with good overtaking moves all throughout the track; although we did get some really great ones like Webber on Alonso , a large majority of them were done down the Kemmel straight , the huge DRS zone and the massive tow a car gets after the La Source hairpin makes the car in front a sitting duck , it was absolutely frustrating to see .

I think the FIA should do what they did in Interlagos , and realize that the Kemmel Straight provides immense overtaking opportunities as it is.

A really good alternate zone would be on the mini straight before the entry to Pouhon. Blanchimont would be a bit dangerous , I dont think anyone but the Red Bull's last year could go flat out there with the DRS open .

Advertisement

#2 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:12

I believe SPA totally lost its charm with the DRS zone last year . With the Pirelli's I was really hoping for a great race with good overtaking moves all throughout the track; although we did get some really great ones like Webber on Alonso , a large majority of them were done down the Kemmel straight , the huge DRS zone and the massive tow a car gets after the La Source hairpin makes the car in front a sitting duck , it was absolutely frustrating to see .

I think the FIA should do what they did in Interlagos , and realize that the Kemmel Straight provides immense overtaking opportunities as it is.

A really good alternate zone would be on the mini straight before the entry to Pouhon. Blanchimont would be a bit dangerous , I dont think anyone but the Red Bull's last year could go flat out there with the DRS open .

FIA has proven to be pretty adaptable when it comes to adjusting the DRS zone.

#3 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:19

Can they be really adaptable and not have a DRS zone at Spa?

#4 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:30

Can they be really adaptable and not have a DRS zone at Spa?

:up:

#5 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 960 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:31

If they have it at all, then it would be good to have it somewhere else, rather than an existing overtaking spot. The pit straight, for example (very few passes there last year) or the run from Stavilow to Blanchimont to bring them closer into the bus stop.

Kemmel Straight already has plenty of passing anyway, DRS turns it into a turkey shoot.

#6 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:37

If they have it at all, then it would be good to have it somewhere else, rather than an existing overtaking spot. The pit straight, for example

#7 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:40

Yep, good idea. Might not be enough but will atleast get them closer for Radillion

#8 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:41

I think that was more about the pit entry wall being dangerous if 2 cars could go there side by side (and with DRS maybe they would've been able to), but I agree. let's not put DRS to already existing overtaking places, last year there was plenty of overtaking at the kemmel without DRS (lap 1-2 Vettel on Rosberg, and both ferraris on Hamilton iirc, also Vettel on Alonso after the SC) I'd like it to be at the bust stop, you don't really see overtakes there, though Button had some last year I think.

#9 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:19

They need 2 DRS zones - one on the Kemel strainght and the other on the straight approaching Bus Stop.

Add rain in qualify to mix up the order and watch the show on a dry race !!

#10 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:42

They need 2 DRS zones - one on the Kemel strainght and the other on the straight approaching Bus Stop.

That would be nice. Overtaken cars can get back at Kemmel.

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:51

Nah, just let it be free all around the track at all times, to not waste the money teams spent to build them. :p

#12 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 13:30

Add rain in qualify to mix up the order and watch the show on a dry race !!

Vettel can't control the car into the Bus stop as it is! Don't give him DRS too ;)

#13 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 13:31

Vettel can't control the car into the Bus stop as it is! Don't give him DRS too ;)

LOL

#14 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 13:45

A really good alternate zone would be on the mini straight before the entry to Pouhon.

You're not serious here, right?

#15 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:42

Last year seemed a bit like Canada last year, ie too easy with where it was. It's a natural passing spot anyway, and add in the Pirelli tyres and you don't need DRS there. Have it somewhere else.

#16 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 14:57

If they are going to have one, I'd agree with those who said the pits straight.
The run up to the Bus stop is a natural overtaking zone, so is the run up to Les Combes.

Put one on the pit straight
or maybe even a 2nd one on the small straight to Pouhon! Imagine 2 cars going into that side by side :eek:

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:00

If they have it at all, then it would be good to have it somewhere else, rather than an existing overtaking spot. The pit straight, for example (very few passes there last year) or the run from Stavilow to Blanchimont to bring them closer into the bus stop.

Kemmel Straight already has plenty of passing anyway, DRS turns it into a turkey shoot.

Nail meet head.

#18 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:23

I think DRS zone before the bus stop would be the reasonable idea, Kemmel straight is good enough as an overtaking spot as it is.

#19 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:44

Spa is an opportunity to test the see saw effect where one driver overtakes on one straight and becomes the hunted in the next !

I say give full boost to both zones even if they are already good areas of overtaking

Advertisement

#20 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 15:58

Excluding the DRS and the Pirelli factor, there are no natural overtaking spots anywhere in contemporary F1. With the grid as close as it is at present, overtaking would be even more difficult without factoring in DRS use and tyres. If the tyres are durable at Spa, DRS will be necessary for passing to take place between competitive cars (as in two tenths to a quarter of a second difference and that is quite a big margin).

#21 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:41

Excluding the DRS and the Pirelli factor, there are no natural overtaking spots anywhere in contemporary F1. With the grid as close as it is at present, overtaking would be even more difficult without factoring in DRS use and tyres. If the tyres are durable at Spa, DRS will be necessary for passing to take place between competitive cars (as in two tenths to a quarter of a second difference and that is quite a big margin).

No it won't be necessary IMO because of the different characteristics of the cars. Red Bull for example have run in excess of 15km/h down on their rivals in the past at power tracks yet still their laptimes can still be almost identical to a team like McLaren who go the opposite way (Ref also FI from the past). RB strengths are in other areas and they have reaped both the advantages & disadvantages of this in the past. For them it's all about straightlining Eau Rouge as much as possible and spanking the bus stop / la source wheras other teams find laptime on the straights.

No need for the bold by the way. People can read your post without it.

#22 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 17:55

No it won't be necessary IMO because of the different characteristics of the cars. Red Bull for example have run in excess of 15km/h down on their rivals in the past at power tracks yet still their laptimes can still be almost identical to a team like McLaren who go the opposite way (Ref also FI from the past). RB strengths are in other areas and they have reaped both the advantages & disadvantages of this in the past. For them it's all about straightlining Eau Rouge as much as possible and spanking the bus stop / la source wheras other teams find laptime on the straights.

No need for the bold by the way. People can read your post without it.

I just wanted to emphasise a couple of key words, no harm or offence meant. The RBR example you gave a is a good one, because the time they gain around the curves will generally put them out of reach by the time they get to the straights. This year I don't expect them to suffer from a significant speed difference in any event. Looking back at the Chinese GP this year, there was hardly any overtaking at all until the tyres started to drop off. I recall watching a crocodile of cars down that 1.3km back straight during the first stint.

#23 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 18:17

I just wanted to emphasise a couple of key words, no harm or offence meant. The RBR example you gave a is a good one, because the time they gain around the curves will generally put them out of reach by the time they get to the straights. This year I don't expect them to suffer from a significant speed difference in any event. Looking back at the Chinese GP this year, there was hardly any overtaking at all until the tyres started to drop off. I recall watching a crocodile of cars down that 1.3km back straight during the first stint.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh as well. China is a good example but I really don't think we'll struggle with a lack of overtakes down Kemmel if we don't have DRS there. I don't have a lot to back that up though apart from my vague memory of previous years... I just don't think DRS is best used at that particular straight. I almost feel that the pit straight & small straight directly after Blachimont would make for a more entertaining race without making a mockery of it.

#24 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:46

Red Bull opted for more of the top speed approach. I remember Vettel/Alonso going wheel-to-wheel just after the SC, both were on KERS and Vettel was edging out Alonso in a pure drag race and just managed to pull off the pass at Les Combes.
and then they went totally risky at Monza but got away with it. I hope they don't do that this year. It's suicidal

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 19:55

Heh, nice pun. :D

Edited by Risil, 08 August 2012 - 19:55.

#26 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 445 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 20:10

Can Stavelot be taken flat with no rear wing? That may be one reason why there's no DRS zone leading to Bus Stop. Otherwise, it would have been perfect to put one there.

#27 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:13

You're not serious here, right?

I know sounds crazy,but should be fun watching two cars into pouhon. It does have a considerable run off area, so why not make use of it ? :lol:

Can Stavelot be taken flat with no rear wing? That may be one reason why there's no DRS zone leading to Bus Stop. Otherwise, it would have been perfect to put one there.

I think you mean blanchimont, stavelot would be too sharp a turn . Read somewhere drivers ideally dont use KERS there too during the inital laps of the race , otherwise they might spin off and with the lack of rear downforce compared to last year dont think it'll be possible.
Although it could be used as a detection zone.

I think DRS zone before the bus stop would be the reasonable idea, Kemmel straight is good enough as an overtaking spot as it is.

Should an already great overtaking circuit such as Spa ,which already involves a high driver factor have such easy to pass DRS zones. I think till date this season the FIA have done a great job with the DRS zones ,Valencia being near perfect in fact. Hopefully they'll get it right in Spa.

The race for me is always the biggest to look forward too in the season.

#28 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:56

Pit Straight for sure. Just enough to get close and attack in first sector.

#29 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:15

I actually can't think of anywhere at Spa that needs a DRS zone. But if we have to have one, then pit straight would possibly be the least interfering spot.

#30 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:39

Here's a suggestion for FIA; let's make the DRS zone on the back-straight in the run down to the Bus Stop chicane, through Blanchimont. I'm fine with it until someone hits a tree.

Edited by Kingshark, 11 August 2012 - 08:39.

#31 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:17

If they are going to have one, I'd agree with those who said the pits straight.
The run up to the Bus stop is a natural overtaking zone, so is the run up to Les Combes.

Put one on the pit straight
or maybe even a 2nd one on the small straight to Pouhon! Imagine 2 cars going into that side by side :eek:

You must have missed Lewis overtaking Massa there last year ;)

#32 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:56

Red Bull opted for more of the top speed approach. I remember Vettel/Alonso going wheel-to-wheel just after the SC, both were on KERS and Vettel was edging out Alonso in a pure drag race and just managed to pull off the pass at Les Combes.
and then they went totally risky at Monza but got away with it. I hope they don't do that this year. It's suicidal

Oh yeah I remember that, lets hope they take the same approach this year because it worked a treat last year.