Photo

Official NASCAR Watkins Glen weekend thread

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 22:51

OK, so we have come to the penultimate "can't miss weekend" of the NASCAR season. All road course racing, all the time. At a scenic, iconic, idyllic, historic (can you think of more -ics?) track in update New York called Watkins Glen.

For diehard F1 fans that are tuning in to relieve the summer doldrums, you may recognize this as the track where Francois Cevert lost his life. Also the site of epic wins by the likes of Cevert, Peterson, Reutemann, Lauda.

Anyway, here's the tune in schedule: http://www.nascar.com/races/tune_in/

and jayski. http://www.jayski.co...ASCAR-Race-Info

Finally, a message from yours truly to the Nationwide series:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,066 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 23:24

Ahh, Watkins Glen.. you will never find a more wretched hive of **** and villainy.

EDIT: Well, asterisks kind of ruined that one..

Edited by Andrew Hope, 09 August 2012 - 23:25.

#3 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 00:29

Nationwide still has a decent field for this one thanks to the cup regulars doing a double program.

Paludo gets to drive Piquet Jr's Road America car, and Kasey Kahne gets Paludo's 38..

Logano gonna drive the 18 which McDowell usually make go very fast, while the latter is gonna do the Cup race in a trashcan

Next week still gonna be the big one though ;) :p

Edited by Slowinfastout, 10 August 2012 - 00:36.

#4 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 00:42

Posted Image

"You have --no-- new messages" *blink* *blink* *blink*

No Jacques?

#5 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 00:48

Keselowski has the priority, sadly.. last year Kurt Busch was in the car (and won), so basically JV gets his hand on it almost as a last resort.

Must be a contract thing because I believe JV would very much like to be in that car as often as possible.

As a sidenote, what happens to the Penske Nationwide program next year? Switch to Ford/Roush-Yates stuff as well?

Edited by Slowinfastout, 10 August 2012 - 00:50.

#6 teejay

teejay

• 3,710 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 00:48

He is busy setting the V8 Supercar world alight

#7 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 00:56

He is busy setting the V8 Supercar world alight

That's a cheapshot.. :)

Just goes to show that quality of equipment matters a lot, but also the V8 is a much more competitive field than Nationwide@roadcourse.

#8 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:02

Looking forward to seeing Paludo own on a road-course. Apparently he's quite handy. Shame we can't get Piquet in an NNS car also. We'll have to wait til Bristol.
Also, I'd have liked to see Kurt run the double. His RC performances earlier in the year were electric.

Im hearing there is a 60% chance of showers throughout the weekend. Nationwide still has the option of wet weather tires, correct? If so I'd like to see a slick track on Saurday. NASCAR on an RC in the wet is hilarious.

Hoping for a dry day Sunday though. Can Marcos repeat? We needs it. Neeeeds it.

Edited by gm914, 10 August 2012 - 01:16.

#9 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,818 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:06

Of course. As a huge JV-fan, I'm not neutral. But I cannot see why no one is giving JV a Nationwide-Sprint Cup weekend here...

#10 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:31

Im hearing there is a 60% chance of showers throughout the weekend. Nationwide still has the option of wet weather tires, correct? If so I'd like to see a slick track on Saurday. NASCAR on an RC in the wet is hilarious.

Really? I'm seeing 60% tomorrow, then a moderate (40%)shot of storms on Saturday and a small (20%) shot Sunday.

http://www.accuweath...st/334672?day=4

#11 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:37

I think at the Glen they would be very very cautious letting them run in the wet, if it's still an option.

Montreal is stop and go, and even that was too much for most drivers. The Glen has several very fast corners, zero run-off in the esses, the potential for clusterf*ck would be immense.

#12 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:43

Really? I'm seeing 60% tomorrow, then a moderate (40%)shot of storms on Saturday and a small (20%) shot Sunday.

http://www.accuweath...st/334672?day=4

That looks better. Thanks :up:

Hey Dilla, what do you think of Kligerman at RHR?

#13 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:54

No Jacques?

He's busy finding another series he's rubbish at.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Marcos Ambrose School of Road Racing will commence shortly. Please take your seats. :clap:

#14 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:07

Hey Dilla, what do you think of Kligerman at RHR?

RHR has won races this year and has the point lead, so I can't say that he is in a worst position in the short-term. But, he will lose that connection to move up since RHR is Trucks only and will have to be super quick to get attention for competitive NW programs.

Though, I'm thinking he may not have had a choice in the matter as I believe Penske flat-out cut him for Ryan Blaney and since BKR is basically Penske in Trucks, Klingerman's and BK's relationship probably became very strained.

As a sidenote, what happens to the Penske Nationwide program next year? Switch to Ford/Roush-Yates stuff as well?

Unless he is planning on running without factory support, I would assume so.

Edited by Dilla, 10 August 2012 - 02:33.

#15 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:47

Good synopsis Dilla.
I'm going to watch every NNS race til the end of the season, rooting for BK & Sam and enjoy looking at that gorgeous Challenger while I can.
Best looking stock-car in decades.
/sadface
Posted Image

Edited by gm914, 10 August 2012 - 03:05.

#16 Red17

Red17

• 3,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:40

I'm going to watch every NNS race til the end of the season, rooting for BK & Sam and enjoy looking at that gorgeous Challenger while I can.
Best looking stock-car in decades.
/sadface
Posted Image

:up: :cry:

Here is the Motorstv shedule for the PSP Series, race will be shown live on Saturday 20 UK time http://www.motorstv....=2012-08-11&h=4

#17 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:49

Of course. As a huge JV-fan, I'm not neutral. But I cannot see why no one is giving JV a Nationwide-Sprint Cup weekend here...

Possibly because he is not currently available at the moment?

As mentioned earlier, he is touring car driving.

#18 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:52

Posted Image

Jax is driving the car of Marcos' old buddy, Greg Murphy.

Edited by Wuzak, 10 August 2012 - 09:53.

#19 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:22

This is interesting:

“@SLehr81: @pkligerman are u still a part of Penske? Or you all just moved on to bigger/better opportunities?”

Still wit Penske :)

“@HurikahneJen: @pkligerman I'm a little confused now. Still with Penske...so all that changed was your truck ride"

Yup their not connected

Hmm.

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,818 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 13:42

Possibly because he is not currently available at the moment?

As mentioned earlier, he is touring car driving.

I know he's down under. It was just that I thought he had raced his races down there. But when it's mentioned he drove one, and signed for two more. I was thinking he only signed for two races in total!
My mistake!

#21 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:00

I know he's down under. It was just that I thought he had raced his races down there. But when it's mentioned he drove one, and signed for two more. I was thinking he only signed for two races in total!
My mistake!

Murphy's not well enough to come back yet, and I suppose the boss figured that Villeneuve wasn't fast enough to get into any real trouble and break the car, so why not keep him.

#22 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:06

Murphy's not well enough to come back yet, and I suppose the boss figured that Villeneuve wasn't fast enough to get into any real trouble and break the car, so why not keep him.

troll fail :rotfl:

JV is just as fast as anyone on Nationwide roadies, so what are you going to say if he beats Ambrose next week? or even run a comparable pace?

#23 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:13

JV is just as fast as anyone on Nationwide roadies, so what are you going to say if he beats Ambrose next week? or even run a comparable pace?

Wait has Ambrose confirmed he's running NNS at Montreal? Thought his pure focus was on Cup this year.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,391 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:15

Ahh, Watkins Glen.. you will never find a more wretched hive of **** and villainy.

EDIT: Well, asterisks kind of ruined that one..

Andrew.
Check your PM's

Jp

#25 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:15

Wait has Ambrose confirmed he's running NNS at Montreal? Thought his pure focus was on Cup this year.

Actually I just took it for granted he was doing it as usual, I don't know.

Would be a shame if he wasn't.

#26 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,537 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:24

This is interesting:

Hmm.

Thats an interesting detail actually, because he was driving for Brad.

#27 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:36

Thats an interesting detail actually, because he was driving for Brad.

Of all the swirling rumors on why Klig was leaving, I heard that the Captain was angry about him talking to other potential teams.
That rumor was quashed, but perhaps it was Brad K who was angry. Penske obviously thinks he's worth keeping around, Brad K maybe wasn't so jovial about it.
We'll see on the track!

#28 Red17

Red17

• 3,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:01

Pretty sure OLB has posted this last year, but for those who missed it, here is Lewis driving the Glen in a Cup Car and loving it.
Later on we see that Mclaren resolved all fitting issues after Mansell left.

#29 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:28

Here's a fun video: Jimmie Johnson wheeling a Cup car at Road Atlanta last week... testing in preparation for this weekend's Watkins Glen race, no doubt. The in-car video was made with some kind of HD headgear/eyewear/whatev. Watching this clip made me wish a little bit that NASCAR would run at Road Atlanta, unrealistic as that is.

Link: Jimmie Johnson at Road Atlanta | Mac's Motor City Garage

Teaser screen capture....
Posted Image

#30 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:51

Very cool magoo :cool:
That website has some kickass stuff.

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:05

Here's a fun video: Jimmie Johnson wheeling a Cup car at Road Atlanta last week... testing in preparation for this weekend's Watkins Glen race, no doubt. The in-car video was made with some kind of HD headgear/eyewear/whatev. Watching this clip made me wish a little bit that NASCAR would run at Road Atlanta, unrealistic as that is.

Link: Jimmie Johnson at Road Atlanta | Mac's Motor City Garage

Teaser screen capture....
Posted Image

Found this one of KuBu testing one of KyBu's cars there, too

#32 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:26

How many times have you been to Watkins Glen, Andrew? I'd buy a second home in this fine community, and be there as often as possible, if I could. The town is picturesque and its residents are as warm and inviting as any town I've ever experienced. Plus they know a bit about our sport and its history. In fact, they've contributed a great deal to that history, and continue to do so through the International Motor Racing Research Center. I'd be interested to know the reason for your rather outlandish (in my opinion) statement.

The Bog is a black period from Formula One, but that's been more than three decades ago. And I don't think the locals were the bulk of the problem. Thanks.

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,537 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:38

How can you not have seen Star Wars.

#34 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:40

LOL it was a Star Wars reference he posted after OLB's Darth Vader pic.
Chill. Pretty sure he wasn't comparing Mos Eisley to upstate NY. From what I hear, WG is lovely. You can get a drink in a bar without sabering some dudes arm off, AND they serve droids.
(Watkins Glen has less womprats too. I read it on wiki)

#35 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,479 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:09

Trying to watch NASCAR's Dead Timing, it really is pointless isn't it.

#36 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:16

How can you not have seen Star Wars.

Sci-Fi is just not my thing Ross - I was definitely living in literal-ville when I read Andrew's post. Apologies to Andrew.

I stand by my comments on the character of the village of Watkins Glen.

#37 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:16

Found this one of KuBu testing one of KyBu's cars there, too

Could almost feel the Dark Force creeping down my spine n cramping me leg! Although I have a very good idea who's Yoda and what's the family tree there, I've never seen the full length of a Star Wars movie. I normally boast about that...
It's a shame Kurt is not doing Nationwide this week, but Kyle wouldn't look too good if Kurt was the only one taking the 54 to victory lane.
Not expecting Kurt to do a "Sonoma" this week, at this track, but you never know. There's normally a good bit of JPM and a full frontal of Ambrose at these tracks. Sadly, criminally I dare say, no JV this weekend.
Well I had something more noteworthy to say about this weekend's setting, and now it's gone.
Edit: Getting rid of them nasty smileys. Posted Image And striped curbs is the single most noteworthy thing about this weekend, so thanks Ross. I like them groovy and noisy. Noise art speed bumps, not this pretentious, epic BS.

Edited by the9th, 10 August 2012 - 21:57.

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,537 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:34

Woooo, striped kerbs.

Boooo, paved run-off.

#39 Option1

Option1

• 13,345 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:38

Yay, no Jacques Vowlingball

Neil

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,391 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:46

Boo... No Jacques Vilenough.

Jp

#41 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 00:43

Actually I just took it for granted he was doing it as usual, I don't know.

Would be a shame if he wasn't.

Marcos didn't race nationwide at WG last year either. Something about Petty not being able to pull a deal together.

Edited by Wuzak, 11 August 2012 - 00:44.

#42 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 00:45

Karne was speaking of Vilenerve's lack of pace in V8Supercar racing.

#43 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:41

This is interesting:

“@SLehr81: @pkligerman are u still a part of Penske? Or you all just moved on to bigger/better opportunities?”

Still wit Penske :)

“@HurikahneJen: @pkligerman I'm a little confused now. Still with Penske...so all that changed was your truck ride"

Yup their not connected

Hmm.

Well, that'll be awkward. I guess Brad and Parker just didn't get along.

Edited by Dilla, 11 August 2012 - 05:43.

#44 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:56

Very cool magoo :cool:
That website has some kickass stuff.

Thanks. All killer no filler, that's the idea. You know how in some car mags and websites the editors put in a lot of crap? We shot those people and left out those parts.

If you like the website, please like it on facebook, pretty please with sprinkles on top. If you do, the social media consultant assures me that I will be a media zillionaire like Jay Penske by next Tuesday and then I can buy you all Bentleys. FYI.

you need only click here... https://www.facebook...otorCityGarage#

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:41

Ask your social media consultant what they think of GM saying no to Facebook advertising. It's the perfect mix of your world and theirs.

And quite possibly the ultimate job interview question :p

#46 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:25

Well this GM doesn't do Facebook either. I am on twitter though, and would happily follow.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:39

I don't think I watch Nationwide qualifying often, but this Watkins Glen format is interesting. And much more entertaining.

#48 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 14:16

Now following Mac's Motor City Garage on twitter :wave:

#49 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 14:19

Well this GM doesn't do Facebook either. I am on twitter though, and would happily follow.

When I had my own venture I saw FB and Twitter as necessary evils. I have seven Twitter accounts and two FB accounts. Now that I'm an employee again I use them as throwaways--for example to participate in the chat on NASCAR.com RaceBuddy or GarageCam you need to link your Twitter account and it Tweets everything you say in the chat box. It's good to have a few accounts you don't care about for stuff like that.

I don't think I watch Nationwide qualifying often, but this Watkins Glen format is interesting. And much more entertaining.

This is the format for all RCs in N'wide

#50 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 14:24

Ask your social media consultant what they think of GM saying no to Facebook advertising. It's the perfect mix of your world and theirs.

And quite possibly the ultimate job interview question :p

That was old what's-his-name. Pulled all the $$$ out of facebook advertising and went all in on Manchester United. Yep, good old what's-his-name.

Facebook and facebook advertising are by far two different things.