Photo

Vale Rossi back at Yamaha

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Vale Rossi back at Yamaha (192 member(s) have cast votes)

Did Vale the right thing to join his old team?

1. Yes (137 votes [71.35%])

Percentage of vote: 71.35%

2. No, cos his team mate will be Jorge (12 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. No, cos he would still have supported Ducati (7 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

4. No, he should have retired from the sport (36 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:21

Vale has been my favourite since I was a little child. On one side I was hoping for him to stay at Ducati, because the duo of the best Italian driver and the Italian squad was fantastic, on the other side it was hard to accept that he has been out of the fight.
I think Vale left Yamaha cos he never ever liked Lorenzo too much, that is why it is a bit curios to see him going back to the roots again. However, Vale said a couple of days ago their contact was never as bad as the press wanted to show.

Quick edit: the third answer sounds correctly as "No, cos he would have needed to support Ducati for some more years".

Edited by FerrariAlonso, 10 August 2012 - 12:22.

Advertisement

#2 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:25

I'm still very surprised Rossi couldn't make it work with Ducati. I really thought he would get on top of it. Back to Yamaha seems like a good choice, hope he can battle Lorenzo again.

#3 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:03

Quite an anti-climax I feel. If he wants more success than going back to Yamaha is the right choice, but if he wanted to prove himself on a bad bike then staying with Ducati and finishing what he started would've been better.

#4 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:07

Ducati is a history. Only Stoner was talented enough to ride it.

It is right choice for Rossi to come back(competetive bike), but I think he is now too old to beat Lorenzo. Hope I'm wrong and we see the old Doctor's magic.

#5 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:13

It is a risky move in one way. At the moment when he loses we can blame the bike. He has no excuse now not to win races.

Still I think he has made the right move. Better to sink or swim on the Yamaha than just drift around until retirement on the Ducati.

#6 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:14

Ducati was never going to work. I was skeptical from the day it was announced and after the first few races I knew they would never make it. Not surprised that they aren't any better this season.

In terms of success, Yamaha was the only option so yes, if he wants continue, he made the right choice. Some seem to think he should have retired, but he still wants to win. It is going to be extremely tough now against Jorge, but at least he'll be able to measure himself against the best current rider one more time.

#7 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:47

Jorge will destroy him but it's cool he still wants to do it :up:

#8 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:52

Jorge should destroy him, but I wouldn't be 100% confident.

#9 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:09

Rossi is looking for challenges. He went to Ducati with the challenge to win the title. He can't get on with his bike - it looks like Stoner was the only one who could tame it - so his next challenge, I'd think, is to win some races next year (and win the title?) with Yamaha and battle for the championship in '14. I'd think many of the suits at Yamaha are the same as in '09, so Rossi isn't handicapped in that way, knows the Yamaha way of doing things, etc. Anyone know if Jeremy Burgess is going with Rossi to Yamaha? Anyone have guess when Rossi will be able to test a Yamafa? This year or from 1 January on?

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:12

He did right in the sense of finding a competitive ride as quick as possible before retirement. But he won't have it easy against Lorenzo. OTOH, Yamaha did right because they have a very strong pair and either one can - I assume Rossi hasn't lost that much even if he lost something - easily pick up wins if the other gets injured or has a bad weekend. It just depends on the bike being up to it.

It's also good for MotoGP/Dorna because a run away Lorenzo title in 2013 would definitely not be in their interest, especially after losing Sic, Stoner and Spies in such a short time and facing trouble with processional races. And then the JLo and VR battles might be enough to hold the doomsday predictions still for a while.

I do expect Lorenzo to come out on top. Like others have said, he is in the zone and it has become HIS team now. Not to mention he still is their bet for the future, but he'll be more pressured by Rossi than by Spies. Destroying is not a word I'd use, not yet.

Ducati lose more than Rossi with this failed experiment, but VR's resume won't ever look shining bright and impecable even if he does win some more. He'll probably loath Stoner even though the guy won't be racing anymore!

#11 manmower

manmower

• 1,539 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:14

Better to sink or swim on the Yamaha than just drift around until retirement on the Ducati.

+1

#12 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 15:30

By the way, there was no mention of WSBK, right?
I hope he goes there as well.

#13 ghost

ghost

• 60 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:44

Even if Jorge destroys him, he did the right thing.

#14 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 18:43

For him it's a good move, but I can't help but feel that it will be a rather one-sided battle at Yamaha. Rossi's reputation will suffer, he should have retired on a high a few years ago in hindsight.

#15 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:15

Regardless of whether or not Rossi gets destroyed, his passion and desire to win is still there; hence the move.

#16 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:26

Regardless of whether or not Rossi gets destroyed, his passion and desire to win is still there; hence the move.

Or he wants more money.

#17 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:29

Or he wants more money.

Can't say I agree with that sentiment.

#18 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:33

Can't say I agree with that sentiment.

Maybe you would if leaving Motogp would mean you lose a large amount of your circa £30000000 per annum pay.

Edited by TFLB, 10 August 2012 - 19:34.

#19 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:36

Rubbish. I'd say it's more likely it will be an intra team battle like last time they were teammates. Sure, Lorenzo's evolved, but Rossi still has a lot of fighting spirit in him. Otherwise he wouldn't have signed this deal.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 19:38

Or he wants more money.

Yeah, the exact reason he turned away from Phillip Morris.

#21 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:01

Maybe you would if leaving Motogp would mean you lose a large amount of your circa £30000000 per annum pay.

If you think money was his main motive behind moving back to Yamaha, you're utterly clueless - if it was, why'd he leave said team in the first place? :rolleyes:

#22 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:10

If you think money was his main motive behind moving back to Yamaha, you're utterly clueless - if it was, why'd he leave said team in the first place? :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was his main motive. I think it was one of his motives. I'm sure there's a part of Rossi that is worried that maybe he won't be as competitive as when he was last on the Yamaha - he's not getting any younger - but doesn't want to leave Motogp because it is so lucrative for him.

Regarding why he left in the first place, it seemed clear at the time that he wanted to finish his career with Ducati and that it would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately it wasn't.

#23 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:17

I didn't say it was his main motive. I think it was one of his motives. I'm sure there's a part of Rossi that is worried that maybe he won't be as competitive as when he was last on the Yamaha - he's not getting any younger - but doesn't want to leave Motogp because it is so lucrative for him.

Regarding why he left in the first place, it seemed clear at the time that he wanted to finish his career with Ducati and that it would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately it wasn't.

I'll refer you back to my first point:

The only seemingly possible way that he will win, is to move to a team that will provide him with a motorbike to do so: i.e. Yamaha.

#24 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:22

The only seemingly possible way that he will win, is to move to a team that will provide him with a motorbike to do so: i.e. Yamaha.

To clarify my position, I think Rossi is past it and will be thrashed by Lorenzo. His reputation will suffer. I believe a part of Rossi knows that and would like to leave Motogp, but the other part can't stand to lose most of his thirty million pound per year pay. Of course there's no way of knowing that, it's just the impression I get. We'll see at the end of next season.

#25 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:24

To clarify my position, I think Rossi is past it and will be thrashed by Lorenzo. His reputation will suffer. I believe a part of Rossi knows that and would like to leave Motogp, but the other part can't stand to lose most of his thirty million pound per year pay. Of course there's no way of knowing that, it's just the impression I get.

Well, that is your opinion. I'm under the impression he wants to fight at the front, again.

We'll see at the end of next season.

We will.

#26 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 20:48

but VR's resume won't ever look shining bright and impecable even if he does win some more. He'll probably loath Stoner even though the guy won't be racing anymore!

I was waiting for something like this. You were being uncharacteristically complimentary to Rossi otherwise. :lol:

#27 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 22:49

He made it pretty clear when he said its difficult to keep motivation high when they cant find improvements.....must be the right choice then when he wants to compete at the high end,after all he is going back at Yamaha where he felt like his motogp home even though Honda(HRC) was his first motogp team.

#28 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 23:22

It was the only resonable choice.

The Ducati was crap (for him at least), and Honda would not offer him a proper factory ride. I expect Lorenzo to come out on top, but who knows...

It's still his best chance to win some more races and possibly even championships.

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:04

I was waiting for something like this. You were being uncharacteristically complimentary to Rossi otherwise. :lol:

What should/could I have writen?
He did have an impecable resume, winning on everything he ever threw his leg over. Until now. =P
He still has a chance for more great feats. What if he does beat JLo? How big would that be?

#30 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:37

we saw on Ducati how overrated Rossi was, he never had any good competition back in his "prime". Lorenzo is gonna wipe the floor with him.

#31 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:45

Even if Jorge destroys him, he did the right thing.

Indeed, and it remains a big "if" which makes the line-up interesting. I think Jorge will prove to be a formidable opponent, and Rossi will need to be at his best, and the first indicator of that will be the first race next year.

#32 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:51

we saw on Ducati how overrated Rossi was, he never had any good competition back in his "prime". Lorenzo is gonna wipe the floor with him.

:up:

#33 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 13:27

He did right. Though it's a shame that the Ducati thing didn't work.

#34 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 14:27

It is a risky move in one way. At the moment when he loses we can blame the bike. He has no excuse now not to win races.

I don´t know, first you have to beat your team mate no matter what bike you ride...

#35 RRT

RRT

• 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 14:34

hmm.. should Schumi go back to Ferrari? another Spaniard waiting for him there..

#36 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 17:51

What aboot his engineer Jeremy Burgess and the other personnel that moved to Ducati with him? Will Yamaha take em back also?

#37 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:56

What aboot his engineer Jeremy Burgess and the other personnel that moved to Ducati with him? Will Yamaha take em back also?

Vale would like them to move with him to Yamaha, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

#38 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 22:11

How long until the wall goes up in the Yamaha pits? I can't see Jorge wanting to give away a years hard work.

#39 juandiego

juandiego

• 404 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:28

Maybe you would if leaving Motogp would mean you lose a large amount of your circa £30,000,000 per annum pay.

Ok, I'm clueless but, isn't it a bit too much for a MotoGP raider? I think neither top notch drivers in F1 earn that much.

Advertisement

#40 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:43

Ok, I'm clueless but, isn't it a bit too much for a MotoGP raider? I think neither top notch drivers in F1 earn that much.

Valentino Rossi highest paid Motogp rider

#41 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,294 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:49

How long until the wall goes up in the Yamaha pits? I can't see Jorge wanting to give away a years hard work.

Jorge is employed by Yamaha though and not the other way around

#42 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 20:14

Yes. Of course. While he might not be beating Jorge in the point standings he will be fighting and being competitive. Thats what he wants. Running 6th- 10th on the Ducati is no fun for a man who has proven his worth already.

#43 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:53

Jorge is employed by Yamaha though and not the other way around

that didn't stop Rossi last time around.

#44 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:58

Indeed, and it remains a big "if" which makes the line-up interesting. I think Jorge will prove to be a formidable opponent, and Rossi will need to be at his best, and the first indicator of that will be the first race next year.

imo there is only one guy that is a match for Lorenzo right now,Stoner...he would destroy anyone else with the form he is on,apart from the crash has he had any poor race that he wasn't running in the top 3? i have alot of respect for Rossi and what he has achieved but nothing lasts forever,the man to beat now is Lorenzo and Stoner.

Edited by AMG FAN, 13 August 2012 - 02:59.

#45 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:22

We have not seen Stoner on the Yamaha.

Stoner is awesome on powerful and raw bikes, like the Duc and the Honda (well at least the Honda is less controlled and smooth than the Yamaha), I am not sure he would love the smooth Yamaha.

Edited by seahawk, 13 August 2012 - 06:24.

#46 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:18

Stoner would do as well on the Yam as he would on the Honda/Duc. What are you guys on? He just rides fast at all times.

#47 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:46

Stoner would do as well on the Yam as he would on the Honda/Duc. What are you guys on? He just rides fast at all times.

I'd wager that if he was on a Yamaha right now he'd be leading the championship.

#48 juandiego

juandiego

• 404 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:04

Valentino Rossi highest paid Motogp rider

Thanks for the link, TFLB.
I wonder whether one of them could give me just one. If I had 30 cents in my pocket I wouldn't hesitate to give away one to whomever. :)

Seriously, that's much more than I thought and an undoubtedly good reason not to call it a day as soon as you're not as good as you were.

#49 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:29

I'd wager that if he was on a Yamaha right now he'd be leading the championship.

I cannot agree with that. J-Lo has finished in the top two in every race bar one (taken out). It would be tremendously tight if, as you say, Stoner would get along with the Yamaha without issue. I would say this just solidifies my opinion that Rossi will have his work cut out to match George.

Stoners retirement really is a tragedy.

Edited by Disgrace, 13 August 2012 - 10:30.

#50 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:38

I cannot agree with that. J-Lo has finished in the top two in every race bar one (taken out). It would be tremendously tight if, as you say, Stoner would get along with the Yamaha without issue. I would say this just solidifies my opinion that Rossi will have his work cut out to match George.

Stoners retirement really is a tragedy.

Because Lorenzo is on the best bike which hasn't suffered the problems the Honda has this year. Lorenzo's been beaten by Stoner on an inferior bike a few too many times this year, Laguna Seca is a testament to that. A happy Casey Stoner is an unstoppable one.

I think Rossi will instantly show Lorenzo's weak points next year.

Edited by hotstickyslick, 13 August 2012 - 10:40.