Photo

The Family Truckster - Replacing the Loser-Cruiser

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:18

I know - this isn't exactly F1 technology but I'm under the illusion that despite some of your incorrect positions on topics we both like to discuss (incorrect being different than my own position of course), that we're all automotive enthusiasts of a sort.

The time to replace our '92 Toyota Previa is rapidly approaching. It's a game of trying to see what's going to happen faster - body rust rendering it unsuitable for use (as determined by She Who Must Drive It Most) or the upcoming fall/winter season. We've managed to survive most of the summer without AC again after it spit the contents of the DIY r12 replacement all over the driveway, but I'm under orders to have it replaced by next season.

It's been a great vehicle - it's RWD and a 5-speed manual so I could delude myself when driving it that it wasn't so bad. It's big enough to load up the kids (3), the dog (mastiff) and all our camping gear inside (and the two of us of course). It also served as makeshift sleeping quarters for all the souls above when we spotted a young grizzly meandering the camp ground one evening. It was peering at the sign warning of a cougar prowling the area. I digress. It's roomy, it's "small" in parking lots and on the school run and it's cheap to operate (~20mpg in the city).

I'd like our new used vehicle to be all of that and capable of towing a reasonable trailer. So, that's 7 passengers plus a large dog, 20mpg city or better, tow a trailer through the mountains (we live next to the Rockies after all) without being a hazard, AWD a nice bonus, smaller than a Suburban or Yukon and while I'm rolling out a fantasy list, not cost a small fortune. The world of 7-passenger vehicles that aren't Suburbans is pretty limited already. I'm open to the possibility that I'm dreaming here. We'd looked at the Benz R-class but CR gives them a "run away RUN AWAY!!" rating which explains their low resale. I feel like I always end up back at a minivan with tent-trailer towing power only which isn't really what we're after.

Input?

Advertisement

#2 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,637 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:39

I am curious about the "run away CR". Is CR "common rail"?

Hyundai I-Max with (CR) diesel.

#3 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:55

Sorry - CR = Consumer Reports. Their review of the R-class was harsh. In short it was an unreliable, expensive piece of ready-to-be-recycled crap.

Hmmm...what's the North American version of an I-Max? To the google machine!

Edit - it's the Hyundai Unobtainium. Figures. It looked like it might actually be the business.

Edited by Canuck, 14 August 2012 - 03:04.

#4 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:46

I've driven one (iMax) a bit...buy the diesel, do not buy the petrol under any circumstances.
Latest previa comes in 3.5lt V6 and AWD ex Japan.
Delica D5 ex Japan?
VW Kombi?

#5 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,703 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:04

There is a category for the vehicle you describe: 7 passenger crossover. Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse, Volvo XC90, etc.

#6 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,703 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:15

It's been a great vehicle - it's RWD and a 5-speed manual so I could delude myself when driving it that it wasn't so bad. It's big enough to load up the kids (3), the dog (mastiff) and all our camping gear inside (and the two of us of course). It also served as makeshift sleeping quarters for all the souls above when we spotted a young grizzly meandering the camp ground one evening. It was peering at the sign warning of a cougar prowling the area.

The other fauna are somewhat wary of cougars. Not terribly pleasant... multiple shots of Jager, groping in the parking lot, etc.

#7 John Brundage

John Brundage

• 309 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:21

There is a category for the vehicle you describe: 7 passenger crossover. Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse, Volvo XC90, etc.

My wife has a 2003 Volvo XC70. It is great in the winter, gets decent mileage --over 25 mpg on last family trip, has more HP and torque than the Previa, but I don't know how it is for towing. I am wary of the automatic transmission.
I have used various vans and pick-ups for towing trailers over the years and have always hated the tail wagging the dog. I recently used a dually to tow three cars in an enclosed trailer, including tools and other gear and was very impressed with the stability and towing power, however the mileage was poor.

#8 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:05

The other fauna are somewhat wary of cougars. Not terribly pleasant... multiple shots of Jager, groping in the parking lot, etc.

:clap:

#9 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:30

Thanks for the suggestions here. It's seems pretty obvious that you can't have minivan interior space, big v-8 towing, diesel-like fuel-efficiency and "small car" feel in the same package. I'm not sure why I continue to look...perhaps to put off spending the money :)

#10 Slumberer

Slumberer

• 133 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:35

May I respectfully suggest the Mazda Bongo Friendee?
Turbo power.
Four wheel drive.
Seven seats.
Compact dimensions.
Crazy name - crazy car!
(I tried to get my brother to get one but he went for a VW Toureg instead. Hmmph. Some people have no taste!

:stoned:

#11 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 21:20

<sigh> Once again, stymied by the lack of North American availability.

#12 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 22:37

too glum. I have a 2003 Previa which I used to two my race car 1100km one way and that was the 2.4lt. The 3.5lt has around 200kw, which is a reasonable amount and you can import a used one from japan if you want 4wd...though I believe that you get the sienna or something from toyota instead?
4WD VW transporter...not great reliability in my market though.

#13 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,603 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 00:36

Why not a Chrysler Town & Country?

#14 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:24

I was hoping to find something with more towing capacity than the minivans have but it tends to be a circular argument. Must tow a proper trailer (not a tent on wheels - I have a tent), but be fuel-efficient for the daily running around, small enough to be crammed into the school run, but big enough to take the kids, dog and grandparents (less one parent) to the park. I want something that exists only in my mind I suspect.

And this is why you end up with a two-car family where one person drives around in a Yukon or larger sized SUV by themselves 90% of the time, or a three-car family where the tow vehicle is idle 90% of the time, parked in front of the garage, 2nd car parked behind it, trailer stored on a paid lot somewhere and one car on the street out front. And then suddenly the kids are old enough for their own...

I could have saved myself a lot of hassle by stopping with one (kid) :lol:

#15 carlt

carlt

• 4,169 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:35

May I respectfully suggest the Mazda Bongo Friendee?

:stoned:

Now there's a whole Marketing Dept. that needs drug testing

#16 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:40

[quote name='Canuck' date='Aug 15 2012, 21:24' post='5873644']
I was hoping to find something with more towing capacity than the minivans have but it tends to be a circular argument. Must tow a proper trailer (not a tent on wheels - I have a tent), but be fuel-efficient for the daily running around, small enough to be crammed into the school run, but big enough to take the kids, dog and grandparents (less one parent) to the park. I want something that exists only in my mind I suspect.

Look at a 2007 Kia Sorento, as they have quite a high towing capacity, or perhaps a Dodge Durango. Thet are not small, but small north american cars are very restricted. My Ford Fusion has no towing allowance!

Edited by Robin Fairservice, 16 August 2012 - 20:40.

#17 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 21:55

Good advice ^

Really sounds like you need a Dodge Durango or a Chevy Trailblazer, but they won't age well at all compared to the Toyota minivan.

The previous gen Kia Sorento is worth a look, it's on a ladder frame so it's a proper truck but also very civilized, not sure if there's a 7 passenger version. The new one is not a truck, more like Ford Flex stuff.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 16 August 2012 - 21:56.

#18 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:17

I had planned to mention mitsubishi delica...but you are not allowed them in canada

Edited by NeilR, 17 August 2012 - 00:19.

#19 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:24

Posted Image

This vehicle exceeds all your requirements except fuel economy.

Advertisement

#20 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:33

The weekly lotto is up to $50 million this Friday. If I remember to pay the stupid tax and buy a ticket, and subsequently win, I will buy one and drive it everywhere for it's sheer absurdity, like a rolling punch-line. Until I grow bored of it.

I was seriously (but briefly) debating a 6.0 Excursion and a Mazda 5 combo but now we're talking buying 2 and that's just foolish. I'm a little disheartened that my old E28 took a bit of a beating in the hail storm the other night so two new (to us, still used of course) ones might not be that far fetched. Tough to justify an Excursion as the winter commuter once the snow finally persuades me to park the bicycle though.

#21 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:35

The weekly lotto is up to $50 million this Friday. If I remember to pay the stupid tax and buy a ticket, and subsequently win, I will buy one and drive it everywhere for it's sheer absurdity, like a rolling punch-line. Until I grow bored of it.

I was seriously (but briefly) debating a 6.0 Excursion and a Mazda 5 combo but now we're talking buying 2 and that's just foolish. I'm a little disheartened that my old E28 took a bit of a beating in the hail storm the other night so two new (to us, still used of course) ones might not be that far fetched. Tough to justify an Excursion as the winter commuter once the snow finally persuades me to park the bicycle though.

#22 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:29

The Excursion is just as large as a Suburban if not bigger. Fuel economy in the mid teens mpgs at best.

If you can separate your towing needs from the daily use, the possibilities become endless.. but you know that:)

It's interesting because I can see myself for a similar vehicle in the near future, but a good version doesn't exist!

I was already resolved to getting an old beater pickup truck and a good station-wagon (estate, whatever it's called).

#23 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:08

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item43b2ada507