Photo

N Piquet Jr criticises 'weak' and 'lucky' Lotus duo [split]

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#1 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 628 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 16:45

This clown referred to Grojean as a lucky PAYING driver, and Raikkonen as being weak......this from a cheater who hasn't won one, not one GP!

http://thef1times.co...s/display/06588

Edited by Mandzipop, 21 August 2012 - 21:46.
Not appropriate contribution What a piece of s**t!

Advertisement

#2 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:04

This clown referred to Grojean as a lucky PAYING driver, and Raikkonen as being weak......this from a cheater who hasn't won one, not one GP!

Yea i saw that, c'mon bro you crashed like every race.

Edited by Mandzipop, 21 August 2012 - 21:47.
Quoting an edited post

#3 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:10

Well at least he finished second in one Grand Prix... that's probably more than what you or I will ever achieve :drunk:

Edited by Mandzipop, 21 August 2012 - 21:49.
Quoting an edited post

#4 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:12

Ironic given how Nelson's only podium in F1 was an extremely lucky one.

#5 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:36

somewhat harsh

but growjohn could be bring money in one way or another, that wouldnt be a surprise.

#6 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:44

somewhat harsh

but growjohn could be bring money in one way or another, that wouldnt be a surprise.

Yes, he brings money, but not diffrently than Alonso. Lotus biggest sponsor Total threatened to not exted the sponsorship if they won't sign Grosjen

#7 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 17:45

Well at least he finished second in one Grand Prix... that's probably more than what you or I will ever achieve :drunk:

Lets compare apples with apples and racing drivers' with racing drivers.

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:01

ahh
so pk was somewhat right then, he is there in part because of money

#9 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:14

Then again, Piquet Jr making a snide remark about funding helping someone's career is just ever so slightly hypocritical.

I mean, it isn't as if he drove for 'Piquet Sports' for several years up the junior ladder, funded by his father is it? Oh, wait...

#10 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:21

I used to sympathise with the guy - "poor kid - F1 carrieer ruined by Briatore, etc"
But if he really said those things found in that article - he doesnt have my sympathy anymore :p

Or maybe he's just a bitter, cocky little kid easily manipulated by the media...

Edited by Mandzipop, 21 August 2012 - 21:47.
Quoting an edited post

#11 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:24

I used to sympathise with the guy - "poor kid - F1 carrieer ruined by Briatore, etc"
But if he really said those things found in that article - he doesnt have my sympathy anymore :p

Or maybe he's just a bitter, cocky little kid easily manipulated by the media...

I think four years is about time to cool down from emotions and to be able to make more educated and balanced comments

#12 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:27

I think four years is about time to cool down from emotions and to be able to make more educated and balanced comments

Yeah, four years should indeed be enough!
But of course, som people never learn :D

#13 Outsider

Outsider

• 932 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:38

i see Piquet should have had time to cool down, but people here can have a go at him whenever they like to. i do not understand why he cannot express his opinion.
so he doesn't have your sympathy after what, that he said out what likely most non-biased people think, that Kimi is lazy and therefore Grosjean looks better (remember Massa 2008-2009), but Grosjean is nothing special...

#14 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:53

Villeneuve Jr vs Piquet jr 1-1 then

#15 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:57

i see Piquet should have had time to cool down, but people here can have a go at him whenever they like to. i do not understand why he cannot express his opinion.
so he doesn't have your sympathy after what, that he said out what likely most non-biased people think, that Kimi is lazy and therefore Grosjean looks better (remember Massa 2008-2009), but Grosjean is nothing special...

You can express your opinion in educated manner or in primitive manner. i think many people have issue in that

BTW hilarious signature :lol:

Edited by korzeniow, 21 August 2012 - 18:57.

#16 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:31

You can express your opinion in educated manner or in primitive manner. i think many people have issue in that

:up: Exactly

#17 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:32

Villeneuve Jr vs Piquet jr 1-1 then

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe it's about the Junior thing...

#18 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:49

Piquet Jr. is among my least favourite F1 drivers ever but his opinion has obviously been asked for by a journalist who clearly has grossly overestimated his relevance. This shouldn't be changing anyones opinion.

#19 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:53

:up: It's taken me some time but I have arrived in the camp that the E-20 is flattering both of them.

edit: This is the usual reaction though. When someone says something kind about a driver all the fans go crazy and slap themselves on the back. If it is unkind then the character assassination begins.

Edited by Watkins74, 21 August 2012 - 19:55.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 19:58

Having clicked the link I pretty much agree with what Piquet said. I think the Lotus performance this year is a lot more car than driver. I genuinely don't think Grosjean was going to be that good instantly or Kimi up to speed that quickly.

#21 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 20:01

Regardless of your take on his F1\feeder history, NP has a point. No race wins from a car that is better than the Merc and Williams. He's also relaunched his racing career fairly well in the US, unlike certain other ex F1 drivers (JV anyone?)

As for parents funding their kids' racing careers, isn't that how pretty much everyone starts out? I don't see anyone complaining about Vettel's route into F1 being aided by RB, or the fact that di Resta beat him in F3 Euro but had to waste 4 years in DTM before getting an F1 seat.

This forum loves to whine about ex-drivers' opinions it seems...

Edited by Prost1997T, 21 August 2012 - 20:02.

#22 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 20:14

I can't say I blame Piquet Jr.; if I were him, I would never have anything nice to say about Renault/Lotus.

The fact that he 'cheated' is no reason to dump on NPJ, after all, we have a number of liars and cheaters among the drivers on the current grid, so I can't hold anything against him more than others.

I imagine his comments about Kimi and Grosjean are merely an excuse to make pejorative remarks about Renault. But I gotta feel for the dude; he was the young sucker of the group in 2008 when crashgate was carried out. The others involved were much more culpable than him. The primary beneficiary of that scandal, is still an accepted member of the F1 circus. It isn't fair, but even less fair to demean Piquet Jr. when he puts down "everything Renault"- the team earned it when they suckerpunched a kid into doing their bidding.

#23 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 20:17

probably the latter, but everyone in junior formula are pay drivers remmber

#24 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:04

I think he wants to get his name into the F1 media once again. He won a race this weekend.
About Grosjean and Kimi and Lotus I think it is not just the car and that the drivers this year is very good.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 21 August 2012 - 21:06.

#25 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:06

All I read into this is that a certain NPJ has come to the realization that his chance at returning to F1 is zero. Now he can fully express his opinion regardless of if it may be tinged with hard feelings.

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:09

Having clicked the link I pretty much agree with what Piquet said. I think the Lotus performance this year is a lot more car than driver. I genuinely don't think Grosjean was going to be that good instantly or Kimi up to speed that quickly.

Where did Lotus/Renault find the resources and opportunity to build a Brawn-Mercedes, then? I assume the final implication is that it's actually the pick of this year's cars, but I'm leaning more towards the conclusion that they've returned to their 2008 or 2010 level. With this year's tyres and the general lack of an engineering "killer app" like the EBD, that solves the mystery for me. But what do I know.

Anyway, given how he's going this year, Alonso would probably be leading the world championship in a Williams. :drunk

And it's pretty funny how we've all starting dumping on the driver line-up for a team that this time last year was employing Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov.

Edited by Risil, 21 August 2012 - 21:13.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:13

I think they just found a tire wear level that works out over a race distance. I don't think the car is that competitive on it's own and am amused by the fornightly "zomg Lotus will win this weekend!" When they're average in qualifying, and at the start of each tire stint.

So the Lotus drivers float up the running order.

#28 Alexandros

Alexandros

• 2,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:19

There are three components, not two.

1. Car
2. Driver
3. Team

The team has made some monumental mistakes. For example in the race where kimi went from 11th to second, close to winning, the team opted to save tires for q3. Then, in the race, Kimi was held by Grosjean for 4-5 laps IIRC. Still, despite the self-inflicted handicaps (qualify + teammate obstacle that could be removed by a simple pit radio order) Kimi got a shot at Vettel.

In Barcelona they were too conservative with the first stints and then it was too late to fight back for the win - although it was possible.

In hockenheim, the team went for soft+soft+medium instead of soft+med+med.

In the start of the season they let kimi out to do something like 40 laps with the same set of tires, losing all the points of a possible 2nd or 3rd place - if the pitstops were more equally distributed.

With the steering wheel at monaco... instead of having kimi at muggelo testing it, they tested it at monaco fp1 losing all track time because grosjean took over all testing duties. Then they gambled with an unorthodox setup that was aimed at increasing mechanical grip, chewing the tires in the race.

I could go on and on about another 4 or 5 races. All these are team faults, not driver faults. Normally, Kimi should have been near alonso's points if the team hadn't screwed up so badly.

#29 Gagá Bueno

Gagá Bueno

• 360 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:20

As much as I respect and like the father, Jr. seems to take any opportunity not to shut up... And his actual statements are even more ridiculous knowing that his actual truck (or whatever) driver career is sponsored by Autotrac (daddy's firm) and Qualcomm (daddy's firm main partner) as was his whole career pre-F1...

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:21

Great, now it's a Kimi thread.

#31 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:24

Posts have been deleted. Please keep on topic. Calling him names for his comments does not constitute to being on topic. This thread is to discuss his comments not just him which is why it was split.

#32 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 21:44

The team has made some monumental mistakes. For example in the race where kimi went from 11th to second, close to winning, the team opted to save tires for q3. Then, in the race, Kimi was held by Grosjean for 4-5 laps IIRC. Still, despite the self-inflicted handicaps (qualify + teammate obstacle that could be removed by a simple pit radio order) Kimi got a shot at Vettel.

No, you remember it wrong. Kimi was held up for one lap only. And after all Kimi had his shot but blew it.

Here you have the onboard view: http://www.dailymoti...t?search_algo=1 I say one lap, two is maximum

In Barcelona they were too conservative with the first stints and then it was too late to fight back for the win - although it was possible.

Hindsight

In hockenheim, the team went for soft+soft+medium instead of soft+med+med.

Kimi started from P10 and finished on inthe top 3. I say it was great strategy.

In the start of the season they let kimi out to do something like 40 laps with the same set of tires, losing all the points of a possible 2nd or 3rd place - if the pitstops were more equally distributed.

It was in China and Kimi's stint was 28 laps long. In comparsion Romain's last stint was 24 laps long and his tyres lasted comfortably till the end of the race, whereas Kimi's tyres went off after 19 laps.

With the steering wheel at monaco... instead of having kimi at muggelo testing it, they tested it at monaco fp1 losing all track time because grosjean took over all testing duties. Then they gambled with an unorthodox setup that was aimed at increasing mechanical grip, chewing the tires in the race.

It was one free practice lost as per Kimi's demand. He is WDC FFS. One lost session suddenly made him a cripple? For comparsion Grosjean was racing there for the first time.

I could go on and on about another 4 or 5 races. All these are team faults, not driver faults. Normally, Kimi should have been near alonso's points if the team hadn't screwed up so badly.

Yes, it's obvious you can go on and on with making excuses... :rolleyes:

#33 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:29

He's right, why on earth would you employ a former World Champion to drive your car, when you could have a driver who, if you coerce him, will crash the car for you (Yes, I was being polite).

#34 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:32

Piquet must be really good, he's now won two races driving builders pickup trucks - Does he have to sport a builders cleavage before the race?

#35 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:45

Yep, he also said pit Also in that car and we'd all agree championship would be over.

I agree with that too. sorry Kim and Grojohn fans.

#36 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:56

The guy should stick to driving trucks in America preferably quietly so we can forget about him again. Calling someone 'weak' and 'lucky' is rich coming from him.

#37 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:22

The guy should stick to driving trucks in America preferably quietly so we can forget about him again. Calling someone 'weak' and 'lucky' is rich coming from him.

The guy has more F1 experience than anyone in this forum, including you, will ever have. Any F1 follower should think twice before dismissing him that easily, even if he/she disagrees with Piquet's opinion.

Piquet must be really good, he's now won two races driving builders pickup trucks - Does he have to sport a builders cleavage before the race?

Do you, in order to post here?
I would never rank Piquet Jr among the finest in F1, but any true F1 follower should be ashamed by these comments.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 21 August 2012 - 23:26.

#38 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:37

Just because he has F1 experience doesn't mean that he is always right and he is definitely talking to talk himself up. And reading the comments I'd believe he didn't even watch the race in Hungary. A dedicated fan probably knows more about F1 in 2012 than Piquet jr does.

#39 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:44

I would never rank Piquet Jr among the finest in F1, but any true F1 follower should be ashamed by these comments.

a good joke or two once in a while about piquet jr´s career is a sign of a healthy mind and nothing to be ashamed about

Advertisement

#40 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:57

well he would get asked questions by journo's

#41 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 00:35

He makes the same mistake many people love to do.

Looking at drivers as if they're constants is stupid, things change.
kimi being beaten by Massa in 2008 doesnt indicate in the slightest that he would've less than massas 25 points in this years ferrari...

It's the same for grosjean's 2009 season...

I mean, they OBVIOUSLY were extremely lucky to join lotus in the only year where enstone produced a car that is ~2seconds faster than every one elses car just so that those two mediocre drivers can look somewhat good.
guys, their speed/results are deceiving! it's all the car, kimi/groshean would have like 10 points if they would be driving the ferrari, based on the comparison to their ex-partners massa/alonso!

#42 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:25

Regardless of who it comes from, he was only asked a question by a journalist and frankly I somewhat agree with him. In my opinion, Lotus has been consistently a very quick and often the quickest car this season.

In Bahrain and Hungary they were clearly fastest in the race, in Spain they also had the quickest car IMO. In fact, there hasn't been a race this season where Lotus' didn't have the pace for a podium.

Kimi and Romain should be winning races everywhere, but they haven't won one. That's not good.

#43 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:33

His comments are harsh, but he has a point. He was crucified for similar reasons than Massa is being crucified now.

#44 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:36

Lucky - yes, they landed on a great car without contributing to its development.
Weak - not at all. Both have many more strong showings than weak ones. Yes many think they should have won by now but lack of wins != weak.

#45 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:12

Lucky - yes, they landed on a great car without contributing to its development.
Weak - not at all. Both have many more strong showings than weak ones. Yes many think they should have won by now but lack of wins != weak.

i agree with this post entirely.

i also feel NPJr's comments originate from frustration and jealousy, who knows what he could achieve with the current lotus. sometimes its just how life works out

#46 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:20

Piquet isn't as bad as most people might think. He challenged Hamilton for the GP2 title in 2006 with give or take equal equipment; but he was unlucky that he joined Renault at the worse possible time, during their downfall years with Alonso as his teammate.

Had he kept his mouth shut and the team of Enstone kept him after 2009, who knows what he could have accomplished by now considering the occasional pace Renault in 2010 and what a beast of a car Lotus have made this year. His frustration is understandable.

Edited by Kingshark, 22 August 2012 - 02:20.

#47 HPT

HPT

• 2,077 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:27

Piquet isn't as bad as most people might think. He challenged Hamilton for the GP2 title in 2006 with give or take equal equipment; but he was unlucky that he joined Renault at the worse possible time, during their downfall years with Alonso as his teammate.

Had he kept his mouth shut and the team of Enstone kept him after 2009, who knows what he could have accomplished by now considering the occasional pace Renault in 2010 and what a beast of a car Lotus have made this year. His frustration is understandable.

Well, it's his own fault for being weak. He was manipulated by Renault to cheat and I'm sure he was adviced by Senior to blow the whistle. It does seem that he can't think for himself. He shouldn't have agreed to crash. Ok, people make mistakes. Then he shouldn't have whistle-blown. By doing both he has effectively killed his F1 career in entirety.

#48 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:01

He makes the same mistake many people love to do.

same mistake I made, dig racing...
So F-1 didn't work for him, and he made his mark winning elsewhere.
By any measure he's an F-1 driver, not a lot of people can claim that.
Therefore, for whatever it's worth, his opinion on that sport is of interest, and probably, no, make that definitely, more informed than about 99.95 % of the posters here.
Guarantee you, that if you have followed his further efforts in NASCAR, you know the guy has talent, loves to race, learned buckets of what team racing is, and with his licks so far in NASCAR will have a career in top level racing far in excess of a Grosjean. Piquet is on his way to Cup ride, and when he gets it, I think he'll be very competitive.
Kid's a decent wheeler.
F-1 made a mistake letting him go.

#49 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:13

same mistake I made, dig racing...
So F-1 didn't work for him, and he made his mark winning elsewhere.
By any measure he's an F-1 driver, not a lot of people can claim that.
Therefore, for whatever it's worth, his opinion on that sport is of interest, and probably, no, make that definitely, more informed than about 99.95 % of the posters here.
Guarantee you, that if you have followed his further efforts in NASCAR, you know the guy has talent, loves to race, learned buckets of what team racing is, and with his licks so far in NASCAR will have a career in top level racing far in excess of a Grosjean. Piquet is on his way to Cup ride, and when he gets it, I think he'll be very competitive.
Kid's a decent wheeler.
F-1 made a mistake letting him go.

ex-F1 driver or not.
He is in no position to talk about the lotus car or the drivers in it in a serious way.
He has no information about ANY of the teams cars other than what is available to the public.

His opinion isnt any more valuable than this boards members, he is after all nearly in the same position we are when it comes to F1 now.

And F1 did not make a mistake, he did and now he's paying for it.

#50 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:16

He was fired by the team first.
Fired because he scored zero points.
Then jr. start talking to Max....