14 replies to this topic

#1 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03

Business Leaders: Ferrari Chief signals F1 breakaway in 2013
by A. Phillips

LdM spekaing to CNN:

Speaking to CNN television on Friday 13 May, the Italian said the teams had three options. "We renew with [the commercial rights holders] CVC, or we theoretically – as the basketball teams did in the US with great success – create our own company, like the NBA. Just to run the races, the TV rights and so on," he said. "And third, to find a different partner.

"Bernie Ecclestone did a very good job but he has already sold out three times, so he doesn't own the business any more. It is CVC that will sell. It will be the teams' decisions.

Considering that CA is not totally finilized, I thout that this might be a not well covered signs of things to come. People who do not like manufacturers in F1 might have their wish, after all, and I hope they will like what they find after the Exodus.

http://www.businessr...eakaway-in-2013

I should add, Ferrari has signed a new CA, however worthwhile discussion could evolve, that the idea of manufacturer's series is never totally dead, and it goes beyond smart negotiations of special deals with BE.

Edited by Sakae, 22 August 2012 - 10:08.

Advertisement

#2 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:15

F1 is going downhill if this happens. I believe the manufacturers made F1 what it has been in recent years. F1 is the top of motorsport, so it deserves to have all major manufacturers to be present. I was shocked when Honda, and later Toyota, BMW left the sport. This is not good for F1.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 22 August 2012 - 10:15.

#3 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:29

Simplistic, and often repeated explanation claims that cause behing reason why teams left, is lack of track related success. In contrast, I think there is more to it. Renault left having too much success long time ago, which places that theory in jeopardy. I think that issues like lack of focus on what F1 represented when it was novelty to world outside of a few, and what it represents today, dispersion of funds, irregularities in normative references etc., things like that could provide for analysis with more inside on such causes, why manufacturers have second thought. No one likes business chaos.

#4 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:58

Business Leaders: Ferrari Chief signals F1 breakaway in 2013
by A. Phillips

LdM spekaing to CNN:

Considering that CA is not totally finilized, I thout that this might be a not well covered signs of things to come. People who do not like manufacturers in F1 might have their wish, after all, and I hope they will like what they find after the Exodus.

http://www.businessr...eakaway-in-2013

I should add, Ferrari has signed a new CA, however worthwhile discussion could evolve, that the idea of manufacturer's series is never totally dead, and it goes beyond smart negotiations of special deals with BE.

Old story from May. In 2013 breakaway will never happen -too late now

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:30

Ferrari will, as usual, egg everybody on, then behind their backs sign a preferrential deal leaving the others with no cards to play...

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:41

The last stunt SF pulled off with FOTA put me on guard with LdM, and despite that I always liked and respected him, now I am more careful. Setting emotions aside, I could be in minority in here on this, but I do not beleive that F1 is sustainable in current form for long term. It was for finacial gain brought away from racing to something else, and we see in stands impact of it. Traditional grounds and customer base is being abandoned for more profit elsewhere, customers are leaving but some hard core fans, and whilst manufacturers are being critiqued, not so financial speculators for abandoning the ship. Timely changes would be desirable, but one wonders, as someone pointed out, if it is not too late for that already.

Edited by Sakae, 22 August 2012 - 11:41.

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,143 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:14

Unfortunately after the farce a couple of years ago (was it 2009?), I'm not too bothered about anything Di Montezemolo says about a potential breakaway series. The teams had what seemed to be a perfect opportunity then and failed to do anything with it - though it could of course be possible that it only seemed that way and their chosen route was actually the best way to go. Who really knows. :)

#8 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:44

Brief history of time with F1:

http://www.enterf1.c...x-carmakers.asp

#9 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:24

I really hope that happens and they can get it so all the teams and tracks shift over to the breakaway quickly and the FIA gives the breakaway the F1 title. It's the only way to escape the mess that CVC/BCE have made for F1 and it would leave them with nothing of value ;)

#10 blackmme

blackmme

• 459 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:37

Joe Saward has referenced this on a number of occasions. Bernie is undoubtebly pulling the strings in the background possibly as part of a disagreement with Jean Todt. Apparently and you seriously could not make this up Flavio Briatore is coming up with the rules of the new series..... :stoned:

Regards Mike

#11 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 13:55

I'm sick with this kind of speculation.

It's and obvious thing that when the teams gets decisive role in terms of setting rules etc. they will create rules that will suit to the biggest teams with the most political force, making F1 less interesting for anyone who doesn't sympathise with any of those big teams.
If the teams have nobody above them, they will create the rules that will allow them to make the biggest financial gains at first. This will cause no opportunity for other teams to be any threat on the circuit to the few main forces (as if the series would be open for new teams to be competitive, it would mean less money for the founders of the new series). It may be appreciated by the majority of F1 fans, cause most of them are supporters of big teams. But it will not be better for the competition.

#12 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:08

I'm sick with this kind of speculation.

It's and obvious thing that when the teams gets decisive role in terms of setting rules etc. they will create rules that will suit to the biggest teams with the most political force, making F1 less interesting for anyone who doesn't sympathise with any of those big teams.If the teams have nobody above them, they will create the rules that will allow them to make the biggest financial gains at first. This will cause no opportunity for other teams to be any threat on the circuit to the few main forces (as if the series would be open for new teams to be competitive, it would mean less money for the founders of the new series). It may be appreciated by the majority of F1 fans, cause most of them are supporters of big teams. But it will not be better for the competition.

Isn't that's where we are heading now with some teams inside the room, and rest outside? RB will do what other than service their own needs first?

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:16

Let's just put LdM in charge of VW and be done with it.

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:21

Ferndinand Piech, grandson of F. Porsche, a 2011 Man of the Year to face competition? Bring it in!

#15 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,203 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:25

Sorry, but this thread is from quotes made in May 2011 and doesn't appear to have any new information at all. Thread closed.