Discuss!

Advertisement

#2 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 16:13

It has been noted the lack of TNF chat about the Gold Cup this year

Discuss!

There has been some discussion amongst the classics clubs about the 1980 rule, also about the need for club organisers to provide rev numbers for all the cars. This is a logistical nightmare and it seems that they can't be bothered, which is a shame.

MSv could and should have been running The Pageant but that ship has sailed.
I am looking forward to the GC as usual.

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 16:57

I've posted something on the Historic Racing thread, Phil.

http://www.hscc.org...... 14.08.12.pdf

#4 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:09

Gutted about missing it this year :cry:

Hope you all enjoy the weekend !!

One from last year....

Posted Image

PAR

#5 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 18:01

This thread's a tad on the quiet side...

I'm delighted to be there as DJ Retro Rob providing 60s and 70s music over the two days, together with conducted bus tours of the circuit tomorrow and driver interviews on Monday.

Come and find me and say hello or ask for a request or dedication - follow the sound of sixties and seventies refrains, I'll be near the paddock entrance I think.

I won't be hard to spot. Look for a Sgt Pepper outfit. :smoking:

Rob :wave:

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 19:23

Glorious day there today, in spite of the weather forecast. Shirt-sleeve order all day for practice. Plenty of Elans for elansprint to get excited about :)
Only TNFer spotted was Nick Savage, who is having his first outing in his newly-acquired Chevy Camaro in the Historic Road Sports (once he managed to sort out the noise levels). A true enthusiast who drove it up from London via a 2-hour traffic jam on the M6.

#7 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 20:14

Glorious day there today, in spite of the weather forecast. Shirt-sleeve order all day for practice. Plenty of Elans for elansprint to get excited about :)
Only TNFer spotted was Nick Savage, who is having his first outing in his newly-acquired Chevy Camaro in the Historic Road Sports (once he managed to sort out the noise levels). A true enthusiast who drove it up from London via a 2-hour traffic jam on the M6.

Hopefully some of the Elans will not have been washed away by the current downpour (I'll be in the quattro tomorrow as one of my Dellortos is on the kitchen table!).

Kit list:
Factor 50 sun cream
Wellies
Sun hat
Water-proof trousers
Sandals
Buoyancy-aid...........

Bank Holidays, eh?

Edited by elansprint72, 26 August 2012 - 21:43.

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 16:19

[quote name='Kingsleyrob' date='Aug 25 2012, 18:01' post='5881499']

[/u
Where's me shot-gun?!! :evil:

#9 CiroMenotti

CiroMenotti

• 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 17:06

I'm delighted to be there as DJ Retro Rob providing 60s and 70s music over the two days, together with conducted bus tours of the circuit tomorrow and driver interviews on Monday.

Come and find me and say hello or ask for a request or dedication - follow the sound of sixties and seventies refrains, I'll be near the paddock entrance I think.

Where's me shot-gun?!! :evil:

:clap:

#10 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:22

Posted Image

#11 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 40 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:34

I was there today, a lot of nice stuff around. I wondered what that bus was doing on the track.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's hoping tomorrow's forecast is wrong.

Edited by droopsnoot, 26 August 2012 - 19:35.

#12 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:36

Posted Image

Nick Savage's Camaro at Knickerbrook today. A pleasure to meet him too, JohnP :cool:

#13 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:40

But what about the cars Pete?

Many thanks to you and the other TNFers who dropped by - Alan and Pat Cox, John (Slurp1955), and Simon Arron. Plus MSV's own Aurora Phil of course.

I'm not sure why there appears to be a spot of animosity from earlier posters. Did the Sgt Pepper outfit offend? What's wrong with a spot of fun?

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 27 August 2012 - 07:26.

#14 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 20:13

Good to meet up again Rob, and my nephew had a much needed lesson in The Beatles back catalogue courtesy of your good self. It was a really great day all round with some wonderful machinery out and about. The level of preparation of the cars is simply stunning- looking forward to a Hatfield and The North bash in Mobberley at some point !  ;)

Posted Image

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:15

A most enjoyable day and sunshine to boot. Good to see Aurora Phil and Kingsley Rob on the MSV stand - Mrs Cox even had her request of 'Little Deuce Coupe' played in honour of Nick Savage (Not quite sure that the Beach Boys had a Camaro in mind when they penned the ditty :) ).
Favourite car of the day, McLaren test driver Chris Goodwin's ex-Amon M1B McLaren which was leading before ignition troubles called a premature halt to his effort.
Posted Image

Results:
http://www.mstworld......t=Oulton Park

#16 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:41

Posted Image

Contact was made, damage was done.

Posted Image

Great day of racing but not much heavy metal circulating- Guards Trophy race for Sports Racing Cars with only one entry having an engine over 2000cc?

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:56

Great day of racing but not much heavy metal circulating- Guards Trophy race for Sports Racing Cars with only one entry having an engine over 2000cc?

The Chinook was the other big-banger in the invitation class, but failed to make it beyond Old Hall in the race when an input shaft failed.

#18 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,582 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:42

Posted Image

Looking every inch a Beatle even down to the footwear!

#19 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 17:52

Looking every inch a Beatle even down to the footwear!

A late Beatle? :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 17:54

...Contact was made, damage was done.

How come a Marcos was out-cornering an Elan?

#21 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 18:04

How come a Marcos was out-cornering an Elan?

I don't think crashing into the back of someone under braking counts...

#22 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 19:27

I don't think crashing into the back of someone under braking counts...

:clap:

Today was a typical August Bank Holiday:

Posted Image

Big barge, little barge... jolly boating weather!

Posted Image

2-4-0

Posted Image

Edited by elansprint72, 27 August 2012 - 19:43.

#23 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 20:00

Race sponsor looks uneasy in the spotlight (I think Mallory Dan and Armitstead Barnett deserve better than being shoved to the end of the meeting every time when the PA has been turned off)
Posted Image
A good battle ensued between Graeme Dodd (having his first outing in Alan Minshaw's Birdcage) and son James in the Cooper Monaco before youth overcame experience
Posted Image
There was another excellent scrap in the Martini Trophy race between evntual winner James Dodd (Chevron B31) and Nick Fleming (Chevron B23/36). Fleming dropped back after a moment and fading tyres.
Posted Image
Italian solicitor Michele Liguori enjoyed Oulton so much on his first visit a few years ago that he returned to take third place with his Lola T296
Posted Image
(Shame they don't encourage period liveries in the Martini series)

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 20:57

My partner, Anne & myself stayed around to listen to all of Rob's fantastic interviews today, and we both enjoyed them immensely, Martin Stretton being a highlight! Rob's a very talented guy! :up:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-08-27

Edited by Giraffe, 27 August 2012 - 20:58.

#25 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 21:40

... and for those of you viewing in black and white...

Posted Image

#26 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 22:22

Here's hoping tomorrow's forecast is wrong.

Sadly it wasn't. Nice pics, by the way, droopsnoot.

#27 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 00:06

I think Mallory Dan and Armitstead Barnett deserve better than being shoved to the end of the meeting every time when the PA has been turned off

Historic FF2000 has been the last (or penultimate) race several times this season. Dan deserves better for his loyal support of our race at the Gold Cup - especially as it turned out to be rather a good one...

Edited by Cirrus, 28 August 2012 - 00:07.

#28 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:15

Just in case you have been looking for a Stanley Unwin* lookalike when in search of Cirrus (Alan Morgan), I'll blow his cover by showing what he really looks like, alongside his race's sponsor
Posted Image
*Edit: Mallory Dan corrects me - I know it wasn't really Jimmy Durante!

Edited by Alan Cox, 28 August 2012 - 14:22.

#29 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:54

Does anyone have any idea of the provenance of the March 2-4-0 as seen at the Gold Cup ? I thought the original 761 chassis was converted back to four wheels in '76, and then the extra running gear bolted on to a 771 to run in hill climbs. Was this that car? :cool:

#30 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33

Does anyone have any idea of the provenance of the March 2-4-0 as seen at the Gold Cup ?

Much discussed last year after its appearance at Silverstone
http://forums.autosp...w...=33147&st=0

#31 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:42

The consensus in that thread was that it definitely wasn't Roy Lane's 771 hillclimb car and almost certainly wasn't one of the chassis fitted with the six-wheel package by March in period, but its exact history wasn't known. Now that we've moved on a year, has anyone acquired more concrete info in the meantime?

#32 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00

Cheers Alan, a few from Monday:

Oh no it wasn't.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:02

Now that we've moved on a year, has anyone acquired more concrete info in the meantime?

There was a board up in the pits alongside the car with a description of it, unfortunately I didn't take a photo of it.

#34 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 13:58

Just in case you have been looking for a Jimmy Durante lookalike when in search of Cirrus (Alan Morgan), I'll blow his cover by showing what he really looks like, alongside his race's sponsor
Posted Image

Nice pic Alan, me and Mr Unwin! Sponsorship very gladly donated, least I can do to have met so many great people over the past 6 or 7 years. A brief mention in commentary of AB though wouldn't go amiss, Mr T, next year (FSA reg changes permitting...).

Purely personally, I'm not too bothered about the FF2000 being last race most years, but I do feel for the drivers/teams. Especially when there was a 40 minute race before with only 10 cars involved, and the 2000s usually have around 20 cars minimum. Something not quite fair there I reckon, HSCC.

#35 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:36

Nice pic Alan, me and Mr Unwin! Sponsorship very gladly donated, least I can do to have met so many great people over the past 6 or 7 years. A brief mention in commentary of AB though wouldn't go amiss, Mr T, next year (FSA reg changes permitting...).

Purely personally, I'm not too bothered about the FF2000 being last race most years, but I do feel for the drivers/teams. Especially when there was a 40 minute race before with only 10 cars involved, and the 2000s usually have around 20 cars minimum. Something not quite fair there I reckon, HSCC.

Club politics/old boy's networking? I left before the JD race started, it looked totally yawn-worthy on paper as a ten-lapper, let alone for 40 minutes!

What's the connection between Jimmy Durante and Professor Stanley Unwin? We must be told.  ;)

#36 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:48

Yes the rain did arrive in buckets as promised on Monday but certainly didn't persist as threatened. Every cloud has a silver lining though and the rain did make for a very entertaining and over subscribed Bybox Saloon race with good battles throughout the field , I'm sure Godfrey's Mini would have challenged for the lead given a few more laps. Great to see Mike Kearon also on circuit again after all these years, he certainly seemed to enjoy the experience with a spirited drive in a car that before the race he'd only ever driven on and off the trailer ! Great entertainment (unlike some of the other thinly supported races)
As for the car club displays mentioned earlier ,I have to say the club field looked abandoned with so many clubs staying away. I suspect this was due to the unwise decision (in my humble opinion) to invite only pre 1980 cars, hence Morgan's,MG, RS, Lotus, Jaguars, etc etc all stayed away.This also caused ruptions within my own car club (Mini Cooper Register) with some punters previously loyal to the Gold Cup having to pay at the gate and ditch their cars in the general car park. The rule was also widely transgressed by another (Mini) club making a mockery of the whole situation and with Group B cars yet again on the rally stage they weren't the only contradictions to the policy.

#37 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 19:39

Much discussed last year after its appearance at Silverstone
http://forums.autosp...w...=33147&st=0

Thanks Alan :up:

#38 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 19:41

Posted Image
Anthony Robinson's Dolly Sprint outbrakes a Ford Transit into Lodge.

Posted Image
1964 in 2012: Neil Brown.

Posted Image
1966 in 2012: John Counsell's BT18A.

Posted Image
The bank holiday tailbacks stretched from M6 J17 to Cascades.

#39 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 20:12

The lads from the Oulton Park Camera Club were out in force; well-done chaps!

Advertisement

#40 BP1

BP1

• 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 20:25

Well ventured back to the Gold Cup having missed last year due to losing my dad...so how was it...lesser spotted Mr Arron

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Loved this set up....

Posted Image

Pretty car....

Posted Image

Finally loved seeing this !!

Posted Image

Overall enjoyed my day, resident DJ brought a tear to my eye as the first thing you played as I got out of the car was the Beach Boys track we played at dads funeral, perhaps he was with me...

Must say though the clubs area looked deserted?? There was actually some really nice stuff in public parking,GT40 replica,several Elises,Healey 3000,60's Corvette,Mg's of all types,911/912 etc..maybe wave those types of pre 80 cars through to park where clubs used to be and bobs your uncle?? :wave:

#41 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:24

First a 'Thank you' to Alan and Pat Cox and John (s'1955) for providing much needed moral support as I took the 1969 Chev Camaro out in the HSCC Historic Road Sports race on Sunday. First time on the track after purchase and re-commissioning over the last 4 months. The Chevy used to be raced by Hugo Dixon, who sadly died about 2 years ago.

My normal race wear is/was a 1300cc Alfa Giulietta or a 1600cc Alfa GTA, so the Camaro is a dish from an entirely different menu. It proved to be noisy (too noisy for the Sound Scrutineers) and really quite exhilirating ... and just a bit scary.

After Alan and I tried various not entirely triumphant blind alleys to cure the dB problem, finally got through the test courtesy some wizard kit from the Paddock Shop. Luckily both Practise and the Race were in dry conditions. The physical effort of racing the car is about the same as the Alfa 2600 Coupe that I used to race about 10 years ago, so no problems there. Racing in the wet will be a different proposition entirely.

After the race, packed all the kit in the Camaro, drove the 190+ miles back to London in 3 hours on a one-stop strategy ... the rate the car uses fuel is (to be expected) somewhat startling.

Oulton is one of my favourite tracks and the Gold Cup is an event not to be missed. Roll on 2013.
Nick S.

#42 droopsnoot

droopsnoot

• 40 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:03

The club displays were quieter than I recall from last year, and I think the pre-1980 rule caused a lot of it - our own small club would have had a few extras if it hadn't been for that. The weather forecast made a big difference as well, with Monday in particular putting people off both in the displays and evidenced in the big spaces in the general parking area. There was also another classic show on in a reasonably close area, so some may have done that on on day and OP on the other - I know a few that did just that.

#43 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 15:26

Deer Leap and a Chevron B16, a match made in heaven....

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-08-29

The March 2-4-0 of Jeremy Smith pontoons it's way down Avenue

Posted Image

The Lola T140 of Richard Summers

Posted Image

The ex-Johnny Walker / Guy Edwards Lola T330 of Neil Glover.....

Posted Image

.....later to be interviewed by Kingsleyrob

Posted Image

This happened on the Historic Formula Ford warm-up lap......

Posted Image

This time it was Westie Mitchell's turn in the family Merlyn Mk20

Posted Image

Jay Esterer had an incident packed run out in a Merlyn Mk11/20

Posted Image

Jay's car was run by the Taylors (Autotune Ltd) & I was thrilled to meet Wally Wilmott who was with them & chat about my proposed trip to Hampton Downs in January for the Denny Hulme tribute meetings.

Posted Image

Edited by Giraffe, 29 August 2012 - 15:29.

#44 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 15:39

TNF's photographers loomed large at Oulton.......

Posted Image
Posted Image

Another warm-up lap mishap befell the Jaguar XJ12 of Paul Pochciol

Posted Image

I liked this Chevron B24 belonging to Paul Campfield, even if it was a little ponderous on the day

Posted Image

I once drove an NSU TT on the road, easily the most dangerous car I have ever driven, particularily in the wet

Posted Image

I loved this immaculate Chevron B8 in white.....

Posted Image

This photo of Michael Lyons' de-winged Lola T400 illustrates the slope on the "new" campsite at Avenue

Posted Image

#45 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 16:07

I was interested to note that Richard Summers and Jeremy Smith (see Giraffe's photos) as well as James Dodd were all sporting the same helmet livery - Is this some standard livery which is currently available?

#46 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 20:02

... and now for something completely different...

These two passed over on their way to somewhere else. Stampes?

Posted Image

Looks like I have a couple of spots on my sensor too.

#47 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 20:07

Posted Image

I have several shots like the one below , each from a different lap; the car varied from its line by no more than a couple of inches. Precision stuff.
Posted Image

Edited by elansprint72, 29 August 2012 - 20:14.

#48 GePe

GePe

• 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:28

The Chevron B24 as photographed by Giraffe above is probably my favourite racing car ever. Why? Well it was the first racing car I saw and heard in the flesh at the Oulton Park Gold Cup in 1972. Having persuaded my dad, against his better judgement, to take me to my first ever race meeting we entered the circuit to see Brian Redman rumble past in the Sid Taylor run prototype B24 on its debut. Even dad was impressed and when we found out both driver and car were from Lancahire we were over the moon.
Paul Campsfield version on bank holiday monday brought all those memories flooding back.
I don't recall seeing this car entered for DBT races earlier in the year so was this Pauls first meeting with this car? He certainly went much better in the drier conditions of the second race after a truncated practice.
Finally does anyone know what happened to Greg Thorntons superb March74A GA. It only did a couple of laps in practice before coming back on a flatbed and then disappeared. Another car to bring back some very happy memories.