Photo

USA Grand Prix 2012 - part 2

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#601 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,877 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:40

No, how defensive he is about what is a very 'nothing' quote and that he may or may not be driving in FP1.

Advertisement

#602 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 425 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:55

Sounds to me like he knows it was more than just speculation by some reporters and more along the lines of a team purposefully throwing out false info for free publicity. If so then good on him to cut it out.

May be reading WAY too much into it also

#603 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 109 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:26

Very, very disappointed they have 4 planned sessions for the Paddock Club to do a pit walk.. And none for the general paying public. Really: Four sessions?!

Don't understand why they can't at least open the gates to ticket-holding customers on Thursday to let us walk the circuit for a few hours. :down:

#604 jyinvicta

jyinvicta

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:41

They're holding a FOTA Fan Forum on Wednesday.

*edit: Reservations/tickets required. I have extras.

I've registered for a fan forum at the following link:

http://www.fota.co/events/

although I don't know anything about tickets. Is this the same forum you're referring to?

#605 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:59

No, how defensive he is about what is a very 'nothing' quote and that he may or may not be driving in FP1.

Maybe his people have something else brewing that he doesn't want to jeopardize. I did think it was a bit defensive as well as he didn't grok it wasn't AustinF1 but Road and Track.

#606 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:02

The "Never give up the future"?
Not sure if that was part of the quote. Look at it again. It's not in "quotes".
If not, the rest sounds fine.

That was part of the story, not the alleged (now denied) quote from Rossi.

#607 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:53

Maybe his people have something else brewing that he doesn't want to jeopardize. I did think it was a bit defensive as well as he didn't grok it wasn't AustinF1 but Road and Track.

What is "grok"?

ETA: OK, this is what the context led me to believe, just wasn't sure...

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=grok

It was kind of a surprise to me when he asked me to take down the article. BTW, R&T has not taken it down or changed it.

Edited by AustinF1, 31 October 2012 - 12:58.

#608 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 13:52

About a week ago, we got word & posted on our FB page that Stadium People was telling its employees they wouldn't be needed for events surrounding the Formula Run event planned for this Saturday at COTA. RunTex and the Statesman quickly responded that the run itself had not been cancelled and was to proceed as planned. We then thought Stadium People might be referring to the Open House we'd been hearing about for some time. Looks like that was it. If any of you had plans to attend that event, the Open House has been cancelled. No certificate of compliance for the Main GS:

http://www.kxan.com/...all-permits-yet

#609 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 14:10

I've registered for a fan forum at the following link:

http://www.fota.co/events/

although I don't know anything about tickets. Is this the same forum you're referring to?

Yes. They'll send you a confirmation email, which you must print and present at the event.

:cool:

#610 jyinvicta

jyinvicta

• 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:52

Yes. They'll send you a confirmation email, which you must print and present at the event.

Interesting, thanks. I did register a couple weeks ago but never received a confirmation email; perhaps they were already full.

#611 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:48

Posted Image

#612 wacktifosi

wacktifosi

• 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:34

I can't be the only one that thinks those trophies look like spittoons, right?

#613 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 13:19

As long as they're not Santander logos I really couldn't care less what the trophies look like. :lol:

#614 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 13:22

Posted Image

Hand-made trophy, Podium winners will hold above their heads a unique symbol of precision, speed and, of course, the state of Texas.

Read Full - http://www.formula1o...s-trophies.html

#615 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 13:26

It reminds me of the cup from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, lol.

Posted Image

Edited by Nahnever, 01 November 2012 - 13:27.

#616 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 13:35

As long as they're not Santander logos I really couldn't care less what the trophies look like. :lol:

Ditto.

#617 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:00

Speed announces "enhanced" coverage of the GP.

http://formula-one.s...-race-coverage/

Would be more of an enhancement if all the boys were there...

The documentary on building COTA sounds interesting.

#618 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:46

Still looking for a room?

Rooms available, prices on the decline.

Since the COTA room block contracts began expiring, rooms have been slowly released back to the market. There are now 221 hotels with availability for Friday through Monday, starting at $156 in San Marcos and $234 in Austin.

http://www.hotels.co...c...p;r=2&cpr=0

Contrary to the hype, Austin was never sold out of hotel rooms. Thousands of rooms that were blocked for months are finally now being put on the market. Also, someone convinced the hotel industry here that price is no object to the typical F1 fan and that they would rapidly sell their inventory even if grossly overpriced.

Edited by AustinF1, 02 November 2012 - 15:25.

#619 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:00

We heard a while back that Turn 1 was being reconfigured & they've removed some sections due to low sales in that GS. Now some fans in that GS are telling us that their tickets have been relocated to other sections there. Haven't seen any construction work on it in 3 or 4 weeks. They should still be able to get it done, but they seem to be waiting until the last minute on that one while every other GS looks done. Here's a shot of the T1 GS that Vance took yesterday:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#620 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:37

COTA photos with 14 days until FP1:

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#621 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,859 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:55

COTA photos with 14 days until FP1:

Looks bloody awesome :up:

I really hope it delivers a good race.

#622 tomspar

tomspar

• 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 19:19

COTA announces new hotel room availability in Austin!

http://us2.campaign-...mp;e=f07754bed6

Bernie cancelled his suite at the 4 seasons...

#623 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 21:36

Going to the race? Get an early start.

Some of you may have heard about or even attended the RunTex fun run this morning at COTA. Seems like it was a good time once the estimated 3000 people got there. At 8am (the scheduled start time) FM812 was backed up about 1.5 miles from the COTA gate, past SH130. The fastest road in America ground to a halt as it was backed up about 1.5 miles back from the southbound exit to FM 812. Many people reported travel times of more than 1 hour from SH71 to FM812. Some traffic control at the 130 exit to FM 812 would have been a good idea. There was none. The only traffic control was at the front gate of the circuit. The Main GS lot only filled to about 75% capacity, yet the delays had people still arriving over an hour after the run was scheduled to start. I found a couple of tweeted traffic photos. Event photos to follow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AustinF1, 03 November 2012 - 22:20.

#624 tomspar

tomspar

• 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 21:53

Going to the race? Get an early start.

Some of you may have heard about or even attended the RunTex fun run this morning at COTA. Seems like it was a good time once the estimated 3000 people got there. At 8am (the scheduled start time) FM812 was backed up about 1.5 miles from the COTA gate, past SH130. The fastest road in America ground to a halt as it was backed up about 1.5 miles back from the southbound exit to FM 812. Many people reported 45 minute travel times from SH71 to FM812. Some traffic control at the 130 exit to FM 812 would have been a good idea. There was none. The only traffic control was at the front gate of the circuit. The Main GS lot only filled to about 75% capacity, yet the delays had people still arriving over an hour after the run was scheduled to start. I found a couple of tweeted traffic photos. Event photos to follow later.

Im in, tickets have arrived!
Thx for the awesome posts you have driven a lot of tix sales... They better get you some good comps!
Any advice if I am coming from San Antonio? There must be many fans staying there since hotels are affordabale and there is that awesome tollway!
Hate to see the 80mph sign pix taken while in traffic though.

#625 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:00

Im in, tickets have arrived!
Thx for the awesome posts you have driven a lot of tix sales... They better get you some good comps!
Any advice if I am coming from San Antonio? There must be many fans staying there since hotels are affordabale and there is that awesome tollway!
Hate to see the 80mph sign pix taken while in traffic though.

They were sitting still 1.5 miles from their exit. I think that's why they made a point to get the 80 MPH sign in the photo.

I don't think I'll be seeing any comps from COTA. They don't really give anything away.

As for advice coming from SA...where are you set to park?

#626 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:01

Been driving around this track a lot today (a game, not reality sadly) and I think its a great track!!

Can't wait :)

#627 tomspar

tomspar

• 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 22:15

Hey Austin!

I will have a rented car. It seems my only option is to drive to a cota shuttle. Was hoping to find private third party options. So far the only public transport i have found was helecopter service from New Braunfelds.
Sorry to hear no comps they dont know how to treat people who help them succeed. does not bode very well for their long-term success.
Indy let the neighbors sell parking on their lawns, and licensed scalpers, ensuring a good supply of legit tix. This race is so hard compared to indy.

#628 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:06

Posted Image

Hand-made trophy, Podium winners will hold above their heads a unique symbol of precision, speed and, of course, the state of Texas.

Read Full - http://www.formula1o...s-trophies.html

Wow, hand-made? :rotfl:

#629 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:07

Great new aerial photo album via @jaredten. Check it out:

http://www.jtpics.com/cota

#630 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,143 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 00:56

The traffic this morning was disconcerting, until I remembered that you can get to the track from the northbound lanes of 130 as well as the southbound. We pulled out of the traffic jam at the southbound FM 812 exit after we crossed under the Elroy Road overpass and realized it was at least another mile of traffic. I simply drove the two miles down to the Monroe Road exit, looped around to the northbound side of 130 and exited at FM 812 that way. We were inside the Circuit warming up before 8 am.

I also have friends who took Elroy Road around and got onto FM 812 westbound.

So short answer is, let's all try to remember there's more than one way to get there. The real problem today was super heavy fog and 2-3,000 cars all trying to exit at FM 812 and get through the stop sign there with no police or sheriff traffic control. I hope for the race they significantly expand the police presence. Also, we should all pray for a lot less fog. That stuff was thick today.

#631 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:45

What time is the race track going to be open each day (fri-sat-sun) for ticketholders? I saw the paddock club schedule, but can everyone enter that early?

#632 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:26

The traffic this morning was disconcerting, until I remembered that you can get to the track from the northbound lanes of 130 as well as the southbound. We pulled out of the traffic jam at the southbound FM 812 exit after we crossed under the Elroy Road overpass and realized it was at least another mile of traffic. I simply drove the two miles down to the Monroe Road exit, looped around to the northbound side of 130 and exited at FM 812 that way. We were inside the Circuit warming up before 8 am.

I also have friends who took Elroy Road around and got onto FM 812 westbound.

So short answer is, let's all try to remember there's more than one way to get there. The real problem today was super heavy fog and 2-3,000 cars all trying to exit at FM 812 and get through the stop sign there with no police or sheriff traffic control. I hope for the race they significantly expand the police presence. Also, we should all pray for a lot less fog. That stuff was thick today.

Moore Road, right? That's a good idea and is probably what I would have done had I gone that way. Hopefully they'll get the word out to people to utilize alternate routes, but when it comes down to it, most people will go the most direct route. That's always the case.

The fog was bad, but it wasn't the real problem. In my 20-mile commute to the track I slowed at times for the fog, but the only traffic problem I encountered was approaching the track. The real problem was the absence of traffic control at the off-ramp from 130 to 812. This traffic problem consisted of probably less than 1000 cars. The front lot by the Main GS holds just less than 1300 cars and was only about 3/4 full.

#633 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,133 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:44

So after 5 years F1 is finally returning to the USA and guess what? Both titles could be decided at the new track in Texas! I gotta say, what a treat for American fans! Really icing on the cake for them :p

#634 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:48

Contrary to the hype, Austin was never sold out of hotel rooms. Thousands of rooms that were blocked for months are finally now being put on the market. Also, someone convinced the hotel industry here that price is no object to the typical F1 fan and that they would rapidly sell their inventory even if grossly overpriced.

That's what we get for not having Tavo Hellmund on board.

I'm glad the track is done but...it could have been so much more with Tavo. He had a real vision for the track, rather than just for his wallet.

#635 sergeym

sergeym

• 534 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:42

So after 5 years F1 is finally returning to the USA and guess what? Both titles could be decided at the new track in Texas! I gotta say, what a treat for American fans! Really icing on the cake for them :p

I think WDC will be decided in Brazil. Vettel needs to score 15+ points over Alonso to win the championship - that will be hard unless Alonso retires and Vettel gets a podium.

#636 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:44

Who should be strong here? any chance for Lotus to get next podium or even a win?
Seems like a very fast track, so McLaren shouldnt be as fast as it was here, Ferrari should be a bit better, Lotus should be fine as well, but RBR probably again dominant

Edited by Shiroo, 04 November 2012 - 17:45.

#637 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,877 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:54

That's what we get for not having Tavo Hellmund on board.

I'm glad the track is done but...it could have been so much more with Tavo. He had a real vision for the track, rather than just for his wallet.

Ah yes, Saint Tavo. The only man who can lower local prices around major sporting events :p

#638 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:57

Ah yes, Saint Tavo. The only man who can lower local prices around major sporting events :p

I think it's not that he could lower the prices, but more that he would not have convinced the local hotel industry and others that price is no object to the typical F1 fan and would not have blocked out 10s of 1000s of hotel rooms for several months.

#639 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:32

What time is the race track going to be open each day (fri-sat-sun) for ticketholders? I saw the paddock club schedule, but can everyone enter that early?

Great question. I've been wondering the same. And also wondering who we could contact.

I really hope there is a driver autograph session / pit lane walk on Thursday.

An itinerary would be really great though. I plan on getting a really early start to the mornings on Friday/Saturday to get to my designated parking area for the 09:00 FP 1 & 3 sessions..

Advertisement

#640 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:15

Great question. I've been wondering the same. And also wondering who we could contact.

I really hope there is a driver autograph session / pit lane walk on Thursday.

An itinerary would be really great though. I plan on getting a really early start to the mornings on Friday/Saturday to get to my designated parking area for the 09:00 FP 1 & 3 sessions..

http://circuitofthea.../transportation

Please note: Gates open daily at Circuit of The Americas at 7:30am. Shuttle service from the park + ride to the track (and back) will continue throughout the race day.

#641 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:07

Here you go guys. Sorry, unable to find when the circuit opens, but here's the schedule of events:

http://www.formula1...._timetable.html

#642 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:25

Great new aerial photo album via @jaredten. Check it out:

http://www.jtpics.com/cota

Am I seeing more grass/gravel covering tarmac sections?! :up: More of that.

Edited by Alx09, 05 November 2012 - 19:43.

#643 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:27

Here are the official road closures surrounding the USGP at COTA:

Posted Image

...and here's a map of them from the Statesman:

Posted Image

#644 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:47

This morning I posted a bunch of photos from the Formula Run:

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Temporary Team Buildings in the Paddock behind the Pit Building:

Posted Image

Medical Center:

Posted Image

Work resumed Saturday on the T1 GS:

Posted Image

Pit Lane:

Posted Image

East end of the Pit Building:

Posted Image

Looking from the start line back to the Main GS:

Posted Image

Looking from P1 on the starting grid up toward T1:

Posted Image

#645 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:05

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Up Turn 8 to the Turn 9 GS:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Construction along the Longhorn Straight:

Posted Image

#646 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:13

Last set, but there are lot more at the link above...

Construction at the stadium complex:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn 3 pedestrian crossover & GS:

Posted Image

Turn 13 spectator suites:

Posted Image

Crossing under the Longhorn Straight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn 19-20 temporary hospitality buildings:

Posted Image

#647 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:29

Funny how they're going from a place where an alcoholic beverage like Champagne is considered outrageous, to this place:

http://houston.cbslo...t-lose-his-eye/

haha, was just mentioned on Conan.. priceless stuff :lol:

#648 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01

Funny how they're going from a place where an alcoholic beverage like Champagne is considered outrageous, to this place:

http://houston.cbslo...t-lose-his-eye/

haha, was just mentioned on Conan.. priceless stuff :lol:

Yeah, I saw that in the paper the other day.

It's funny. That's a real dive and is the closest strip bar to the track. It's just off Burleson Road near 183. I used to work at the fire station just down the road. One night we went to a fire in the warehouse adjacent to Hot Bodies. At about 130am we had to evacuate the club because the fire was impinging on it. It was amazing. Neither the dancers (who were apparently making too much money) or their, umm, "clientele" wanted to leave. After they got out in the parking lot, some were still having fun right there beside cars, etc, while we worked to put out the fire.

#649 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:07

Cant wait! Will be there at turn 6 all weekend! Wooohoooo. Happy 30th to me!

#650 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 49 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 16:31

Posted Image

Finished model for google earth, hope they update texture soon.

To all those going, have a great time. :wave: