USA Grand Prix 2012 - part 2

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#701 Black Widow

Black Widow

• 647 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:30

AustinF1 and other USGP responders.

My thanks for all the effort, support, information, pictures etc., etc., etc, etc, ..........

May this weekend and future weekends live up to all expectations.

Thank you once again.

Advertisement

#702 baddog

baddog

• 23,447 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:42

Yeah really looking forward to this one, and hope those lucky enough to be there have an awesome weekend.

#703 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:45

AustinF1 and other USGP responders.

My thanks for all the effort, support, information, pictures etc., etc., etc, etc, ..........

May this weekend and future weekends live up to all expectations.

Thank you once again.

+1

#704 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:27

Very excited to be heading to Austin tomorrow. Glad the championship isn't wrapped up, making the race more meaningful. Just wish Alonso had the 10 point cushion.

Anyhow, should be a great race and an exciting finale to the 2012 season. I agree with Seb that whether he or Fernando win, both would be deserving, but Alonso has definitely had the tougher road.

Can't wait to get to this spectacular circuit! :)

#705 Heasven

Heasven

• 206 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48

I'm gonna be heading to Austin this morning and just wanted to know if you guys know if there would be an autograph session tomorrow ?

Thanks.

#706 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,131 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:29

I'm gonna be heading to Austin this morning and just wanted to know if you guys know if there would be an autograph session tomorrow ?

Thanks.

Apparently there are specific times each day of the weekend. There are no events at the track tomorrow (Thursday). for autographs. Each team has a designated 20 minute session (which seems awfully short).

Times are on the map at this link:

http://circuitofthea...isit/venue-maps

Edited by FerrariFanInTexas, 14 November 2012 - 15:31.

#707 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,280 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:33

For those of you in town tonight...

You MUST go listen to the coolest,most pertinent personality of the past 50 years.
Fran Lebowitz

She'll knock your sarcastic socks off.

I'd go but....well, It's a long,drawn out and sorry tale.
Enjoy the weekend ( getting into the track not included.)
Jp

#708 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 22:29

So I stopped to refuel my Ferrari at the Shell station on E. Ben White & Fernando Alonso pumped my gas!

;)

Posted Image

#709 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,471 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 22:39

Get your lotto ticket scratch offs while at it

Posted Image

Edited by Pikachu Racing, 14 November 2012 - 22:39.

#710 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,639 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:32

So I was able to see the busy pits from the main grandstand today. I wanted to see where my seat would be in relation to Red Bull and Lotus. I noted with some dismay that Lotus was smack dab in the middle, a bit far from my seat. But Red Bull is right in front of my seat near Ferrari and McLaren and Red Bull, so I have a fantastic seat in as far as pitstops.

Later, I got to go to the rear of the pits and see the less interesting bits (tyres and bolts). The circuit itself was really cool. Turn one is INSANE. I didn't realize just how ridiculously steep the elevation is - skiing down the thing would be forbidden to beginners - it is THAT elevated. So it should be crazy wild. The rest of the track is pretty awesome as well. I didn't see every nook and cranny, but I saw about 3/4 of it and it looks great. Should be a great race, really looking forward to it.

Edited by bourbon, 15 November 2012 - 07:45.

#711 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:47

Fota fans forum livestream from austin live now

http://new.livestream.com/Dell/fota

PANEL 1: Team Principals Sam Michael (McLaren), Nick Fry (Mercedes), Robert Fernley (Sahara Force India) and Graeme Lowdon (Marussia)
PANEL 2: Current Drivers Alexander Rossi and Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham), Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber) and Valtteri Bottas (Williams)
PANEL 3: F1 Experts David Hobbs, Garry Connelly and John Watson

#712 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,611 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:53

So I stopped to refuel my Ferrari at the Shell station on E. Ben White & Fernando Alonso pumped my gas!

;)

Posted Image

Nice :up:

#713 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,156 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:06

One thing about United Statesians, they do know how to hype up an event! It's understandable, too: I have to imagine it's quite nice for F1 fans in the southern-U.S.A./Mexico region to have a race around that's not in either Brazil or Canada. :)

Now that the season is coming to an end, it's nice to see things spiced up by a new venue. Sadly other recent additions to the calendar haven't given much opportunity to get very excited about the actual tracks, but let's see how the drivers like this attempt after they put in their first laps in less than two days time! :up:

#714 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,639 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:43

The live chat is great, thanks for the link. Rossi seems a bit straight-laced for a californian - we are usually more laid back, but hey.

Heikki is hilarous - I didn't realize how funny he is.

#715 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10

The live chat is great, thanks for the link. Rossi seems a bit straight-laced for a californian - we are usually more laid back, but hey.

Yeah. Laughed my ass off to this : "Finns don't do nothing mexican sleeps and american dances" :D

#716 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16

;)

Posted Image

:eek: :eek:

your daily driver ferrari ff?

#717 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:56

So I was able to see the busy pits from the main grandstand today....

Thanks for the great description! Was this a PSL-holder PitLane walk? Iif free to the public, how did you hear about it? I totally missed it.

#718 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:58

Heikki was indeed hysterically funny. I'm more of a fan now than ever before. FoTA Fan Forum was a lot of fun. BTW, ol' Mr. Hobbs was his usual humorous self as well. Love that guy. He hinted at some news tomorrow re: NBC coverage next year.

#719 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:59

:eek: :eek:

your daily driver ferrari ff?

I wish. Just kidding about "my" Ferrari.;)

Advertisement

#720 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:17

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#721 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,639 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:59

Thanks for the great description! Was this a PSL-holder PitLane walk? Iif free to the public, how did you hear about it? I totally missed it.

No, I helped a friend with his delivery and got to check out the stands and the rear bit for my trouble. That was a long and confusing post, lol. I made it more readable.

Posted Image

great pics :up:

Edited by bourbon, 15 November 2012 - 08:01.

#722 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:15

Thanks Bourbon!

#723 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 17:00

So how steep and blind is Turn 1 when you're actually there?

I just saw a picture on an Austin radio station website - (which I now can't find again?) from the top that makes it look really steep - steeper than I thought it was.

That's a worrisome thing to me, for the start: going into a blind hairpin where the cars will not only be braking from high speed but will also be light cresting the hill?
Does the hill crest before the sight line with the apex? If someone spins on the outside of the hairpin, how far out will the drivers be when they see it? In the picture I saw it looks like the top of Eau Rouge, with a steeper crest where the turn is - it looks like the drivers are going to have to grin and bear it and hope there isn't anyone sitting still on the racing line when they arrive.

#724 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,639 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:04

It is crazy steep - I was rather surprised when I saw how steep. Someone has posted a picture in the build up thread that gives a pretty good idea. I it is pretty ridiculous (in the sense of crazy, lol)

#725 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 00:38

Posted Image

#726 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,291 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 00:49

It is steep. But unfortunately it's a straight braking zone so other than making the braking zone shorter(and worse for passing) it's a bit overrated.

#727 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:17

Holey cow that is steep! I can see a mid field team launching themselves into the air there!

#728 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:33

Any one fancies coasting back to the pits from that jack and jill hill? :lol:

#729 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:50

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Linky1

#730 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,280 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:11

DON'T..Stop..
:up:
Jp

#731 vlado

vlado

• 192 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:46

Awesome :up: Can't wait for fp1

So Button says the section from turn 2 to 8 will be very interesting..

"Turn 2 to Turn 8 is spectacular, with the change of direction. If you're watching there, you will see an F1 car on the edge. It's very special to see that because you don't see it in many places."

Edited by vlado, 16 November 2012 - 02:48.

#732 baddog

baddog

• 23,447 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:02

It is steep. But unfortunately it's a straight braking zone so other than making the braking zone shorter(and worse for passing) it's a bit overrated.

It will be very interesting to see if you are right.. but it may be that as the road starts to crest on the turn in it will lead to a lot of braking errors and unusual dynamic behaviour. Its really hard to judge from images just how the change in slope varies in relation to where the braking zone/turning zone sits.

#733 ethirtyfour

ethirtyfour

• 21 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41

You turn in for 1 as you're braking otherwise you have a slow getaway coming out that corner. The fact that the track opens up will allow anyone with enough grip & balance to do this.

Such a fun track to do time trials on in a simulator but that first sector will give anyone running up front such a big clean air advantage that the DRS might not even be a factor.

#734 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:07

DON'T..Stop..
Jp

Yo! Jonny!

Recap: Wed night the guy in the room next to me took me to the track to go through the paddock and pit suites...very f***ing cool at night.

Today, another friend took me and two others to the PSL-only pit-walk. Fabulous. Kinda like Indy, but w/a tenth of the crowd. It seemed so easy and pleasant. Hooked up w/my buddy from Jordan who now is w/Mercedes. He's getting me full-blown Mercedes hospitality tickets for Sun!!! (after we hook-up to party Sat night, no less)

Jon.........I just don't know what to say. I really wish you were here, man... Shit just gets better by the hour.

I'll try to post some pics, but, everything is moving so quickly, I barely have time to put the next beer down long enough to even type this.

Spent the evening on 6th Street tonight. That another whole story. geez...

I'll get there...just please be patient w/me...

Look for the flag tomorrow.

:cool:

Edited by CONOSUR, 16 November 2012 - 05:10.

#735 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:00

Well, gotta say with just 7 ish hours to go til FP1, a big well done to everyone involved to get this thing together. A massive thanks also to those who have kept this thread well informed and active with all your pics etc. I hope this event goes down a treat and F1 stays in the USA for good at last....
I wanna see Conosur's flag on the telly!
Have fun all yous that are going.

Bring on the noise!

#736 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:12

Whats the point of such wide entry into T1 ? It's stupid, just a piece of dirty tarmac that will be never used.

#737 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:30

Whats the point of such wide entry into T1 ? It's stupid, just a piece of dirty tarmac that will be never used.

Atleast it isnt a bottle neck for a tight corner.

#738 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:51

Its to make the entry into the corner easier to drive and the cars to look slow visually.

#739 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,912 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:55

That lookout tower is amazing :up: Imagine watching the race from there...

Edited by Jovanotti, 16 November 2012 - 11:55.

Advertisement

#740 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,280 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:45

Jon.........I just don't know what to say. I really wish you were here, man... Shit just gets better by the hour.

Wish I was there too but I am working a PBS Great Performances special at Lincoln Center this weekend.
Hope you've seen my journalists friends and they are ensconced comfortably at the hotel with you somewhere..

OK then, Video is up... Lets get ready to RUMBLE FP1.
Jp

#741 swerved

swerved

• 3,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:28

There's a question for AustinF1, Ted Kravitz said he's been to tracks all over the world and has never seen a better helicopter pilot, he obviously has to fly low due to the proximity of the airport but Ted called him an Ace i think, or something similar, but was wondering whether the pilot was a Vet ?

I have to say he was getting some great shots.

#742 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:44

Posted Image

From the 'not another dumb question' dept - Uhm, in looking at this pic - and the downhill/uphill angles (never seen this before - great photo) - I'm no physics expert, but won't those that start further in the back get a bit of a running start so to speak by having more downhill momentum (i.e. gravity) vs. those in the front rows that will have to jump straight into an uphill climb cold? In looking at this, it would almost seem if a RBR or Macca started from the mid/back of the pack, they'd get such a running start, they'd pass the entire field? :-/

#743 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:46

There's a question for AustinF1, Ted Kravitz said he's been to tracks all over the world and has never seen a better helicopter pilot, he obviously has to fly low due to the proximity of the airport but Ted called him an Ace i think, or something similar, but was wondering whether the pilot was a Vet ?

I have to say he was getting some great shots.

Ted did call the guy an "Ace" and he was handling the hairpins like a pro - swung the tail around on a dime... Austin should be proud of everything thus far IMO

#744 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:50

.. Austin should be proud of everything thus far IMO

This is what everybody says, and I'm also happy for the US guys. Excellent track, nice atmosphere, easy to reach the place, drivers like it, 65,000 people on the FP (more than some tracks total capacity), but Pirelli's choice of tires will ruin most of the show.

#745 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 311 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:10

Kobayashi on Austin Circuit: "Spa and Portimão are more exciting"
http://www.autoporta...-mais-excitante

But one is in the US of A and the other one in little Portugal.

(It does seem a nice circuit for me)

Edited by JRodrigues, 17 November 2012 - 15:11.

#746 nateshan

nateshan

• 132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:24

COTA could have made a lot of money selling face masks :wave:

#747 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,067 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:24

getting bored of this track already tbh.

after T1 to T11 is very nice. but that's it.

that uphill into T1 area is rather pathetic. Just climb up with steering wheel in straight position throughout, brake hard, the track goes flat then make a very slow turn into hairpin. Complete waste of the precious uphill. shudve been alot better if the uphill is used as part of mid-high speed corner complex.

that long back straight is rather nuisance, yet another "long straight followed by tight hairpin". we have such in India and Korea etc...oh not again, please..

T13-16 is just too busy and pointless.

T16-20 is quite good.

And, the circuit has, what, 3 or 4 tight hairpin? That's really pathetic imo. T11 is the only nice hairpin and should be the only one on that track imo.

Overall, not that I dont like this track at all, but I must say i'm quite disappointed. just nothing special.

#748 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:30

getting bored of this track already tbh.

after T1 to T11 is very nice. but that's it.

that uphill into T1 area is rather pathetic. Just climb up with steering wheel in straight position throughout, brake hard, the track goes flat then make a very slow turn into hairpin. Complete waste of the precious uphill. shudve been alot better if the uphill is used as part of mid-high speed corner complex.

that long back straight is rather nuisance, yet another "long straight followed by tight hairpin". we have such in India and Korea etc...oh not again, please..

T13-16 is just too busy and pointless.

T16-20 is quite good.

And, the circuit has, what, 3 or 4 tight hairpin? That's really pathetic imo. T11 is the only nice hairpin and should be the only one on that track imo.

Overall, not that I dont like this track at all, but I must say i'm quite disappointed. just nothing special.

Indeed. 4 hairpins again on a single circuit. Whoever is responsible for this inflation of slow corners has really over done it with this for the next decades. When will they ever learn that hairpin-straight-hairpin does not actually lead to overtaking. You need a medium speed corner followed by a straight. Not this stop and go method where you the car infront out accelerates the car behind so easily.

And then these micky mouse corners that lead to nowhere, short straights, then slow corners, no flow at all. Super wide circuits make 320 km/h look like 80km/h. In some cases the track is so ridiculous wide they dont even have to use the whole track width.

#749 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:50

From the 'not another dumb question' dept - Uhm, in looking at this pic - and the downhill/uphill angles (never seen this before - great photo) - I'm no physics expert, but won't those that start further in the back get a bit of a running start so to speak by having more downhill momentum (i.e. gravity) vs. those in the front rows that will have to jump straight into an uphill climb cold? In looking at this, it would almost seem if a RBR or Macca started from the mid/back of the pack, they'd get such a running start, they'd pass the entire field? :-/

Yes, Button said something along those lines on the first day itself - how P2 may have more of a help than P1 because of the not-so imminent uphill. But I think it would be a small advantage if any.

I would also add the inside grid line has some advantages. It is a very wide turn 1 that deviates a lot into the inside. One could almost argue that the run down length from P1/P3 and P2/P4 are almost the same to the relevant parts of turn 1.

This is really a nice track.

Edited by SpaMaster, 18 November 2012 - 08:04.

#750 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:00

People knocking what appears to be - to the drivers - a very difficult circuit, before they've even seen them race on it?

I think the wide inside entry design will provide some novel opportunities. It might be too slippy to pull off today, but next year for sure.

T 19 needs a name. It's already a classic, IMO - we haven't seen a turn all year give drivers that much trouble, that's great IMO.

Another point: I don't mind the slippery track at all. In fact, I think every track should have a painted surface entry/turn at some place just to make it more interesting. They were almost having to sling the cars around WRC style in some places, we haven't seen that anywhere - sorry, I think so far the track rules!

Still worry about T1, though. Another thought: what happens if there is a crash, someone loses their brakes... and starts to roll back down the hill into oncoming traffic? PS3 anyone?

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 18 November 2012 - 11:01.