Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:43

But who was racing in F1 some time ago.

Mario Andretti? :drunk:

Advertisement

#802 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:50

Err, why isnt the journalist reporting it.

#803 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:54

Well i'm going to say Alguersuari to Force India, based on Otmar being there! Of course we've no way of knowing wether your post is complete BS or not. Seriously, why not just say? Its not like you've got any vested interest, is it?

#804 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 899 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:19

Err, why isnt the journalist reporting it.

I'm guessing:

1. It is a name already rumored to have the ride. Short of an official statement, the story is only repeating an existing rumor except there would be an unnamed source.
2. Having a good relationship with the team is more important than being able to report a scoop if the team wants to keep it quiet for the time being.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

#805 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:21

Yeah but if they want to keep it quiet the team should just, like....not tell anyone?

#806 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23

Mario Andretti? :drunk:

:rotfl:

#807 DankBank

DankBank

• 56 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:41

I live in Austin and didn't have the highest expectations for this event. No one here knows anything about F1 and I feared it would fizzle out within a few years but after this weekend I think it's safe to call this one a hit. The local reaction has been extremely positive and now that the mystery of shuttles, hotel availability/pricing, amount of tourists and whether or not downtown and 6th St. would be too packed to attend anything has now been revealed and can be planned for accordingly, I'm hearing a LOT of noise from people who didn't attend but would have gone if they knew it was going to work out this nicely. Attendance will definitely go up from the Texas side of things come next November. I wouldn't be shocked if the race day crowd for 13' breaks 125K.

Edited by DankBank, 21 November 2012 - 14:42.

#808 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:19

I am quite curious how the Americans have perceived this return of F1 to their country. Could one of you link me to some articles on the reception of F1 to your country?

Also, I would like to know how many people watched this reason in comparison to the Nascar race.

And last, I would be interested in hearing from you about personal experiences of friends who were not interested in F1 before the Austin race, and who might be interested now! Surely this race was the best display of what Formula 1 offers nowadays!

#809 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:21

F1 got about 750,000 viewers, NASCAR about 3.5million. But F1 is shown on a small network. If it was on the same kind of channel as NASCAR it'd be 1.5-2million maybe, but probably the lower number.

#810 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 899 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:23

I wouldn't be shocked if the race day crowd for 13' breaks 125K.

If Perez is doing well, they could sell 125k just to Mexicans. The best thing for the attendance of this race is to not have a race in Mexico.

#811 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,349 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:30

No can do. I was with a journalist, and I can't give details. I will say that the driver isn't currently racing in F1.

Jacques Villeneuve?

#812 Collective

Collective

• 1,099 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 17:29

University of Texas plays an egghand game in the weekend of the 2013 USGP. Big 12 or FIA will need to change the calendar, no way Austin can handle both (especially from the hotels and rental cars standpoint).

#813 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:51

Our soiled and foiled plans were chronicled by Simon Arron in his USGP Diary
Thanks to ericok for his great shots...

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 22 November 2012 - 07:38.

#814 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:03

I am quite curious how the Americans have perceived this return of F1 to their country. Could one of you link me to some articles on the reception of F1 to your country?

I was nearly crying with joy. This race is as good of a new start for F1 as one could possibly hope for.

#815 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:21

University of Texas plays an egghand game in the weekend of the 2013 USGP. Big 12 or FIA will need to change the calendar, no way Austin can handle both (especially from the hotels and rental cars standpoint).

I've started to look at hotels all ready for next year.. And I can't believe what I'm seeing. The hotel I stayed at in North Austin this year was $150/night after taxes. They want $350/night for the same dates next year.. If the prices stay this way: I'm afraid I won't be returning..

#816 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:28

Also, I would like to know how many people watched this reason in comparison to the Nascar race.

And last, I would be interested in hearing from you about personal experiences of friends who were not interested in F1 before the Austin race, and who might be interested now! Surely this race was the best display of what Formula 1 offers nowadays!

I actually had a friend come along who is a very casual viewer of F1. He really enjoys travelling and I asked him if he'd be interesting in coming along (even though he hadn't followed F1 before). He agreed. And the only reason he would follow races this year is to have an understanding of the cars and championship prior to attending. And having to put up with my conversations.. :lol: I can honestly say he had an incredible time. He was constantly walking around the circuit looking at different angles of the cars. He took lots of photos and videos of the cars on his phone. He absolutely loved hanging out at T1. It was absolutely packed on Sunday (we got there around 09:00 on race day and the lawn in front of the grandstands was literally full). As soon as he heard the engines in FP1 he went running to see the action. There is honestly something for everyone. Whether it's the sound, the cars, the close proximity to the circuit, photographing the cars (the fences are quite low, and the surrounding area is elevated - making for wonderful photo opportunities), the Austin FanFest downtown, the BBQ. It was an amazing weekend!

#817 loki

loki

• 2,018 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:31

F1 got about 750,000 viewers, NASCAR about 3.5million. But F1 is shown on a small network. If it was on the same kind of channel as NASCAR it'd be 1.5-2million maybe, but probably the lower number.

They were doing about a million when it was on Fox, with a tape delay, no pre race and the first couple of times, no post race then very little post race. For a US race, be it Austin or NY/NJ I'd think 2 mil would be a realistic number.

#818 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:08

I've started to look at hotels all ready for next year.. And I can't believe what I'm seeing. The hotel I stayed at in North Austin this year was $150/night after taxes. They want $350/night for the same dates next year.. If the prices stay this way: I'm afraid I won't be returning..

What happened to the report of "they under sold the event and there were rooms going for relatively normal prices"?

One would think hotel chains would be eager to build near the track. Oh Indy, why did we forsake thee....?

/ please leave out comments regarding Mickey Mouse and the Hulmans

#819 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,299 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:14

What happened to the report of "they under sold the event and there were rooms going for relatively normal prices"?

One would think hotel chains would be eager to build near the track. Oh Indy, why did we forsake thee....?

/ please leave out comments regarding Mickey Mouse and the Hulmans

Would there be enough business for them to make that investment?

Advertisement

#820 lancef1

lancef1

• 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:13

I appologize if my question is off-topic, but do you guys know, will COTA continue to do that shuttle service for next year's MotoGP and F1 races the same way as they did this year?

#821 punknhedd

punknhedd

• 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 00:19

So I stopped to refuel my Ferrari at the Shell station on E. Ben White & Fernando Alonso pumped my gas!

;)

Posted Image

On Friday after practice around dusk, I was driving toward Austin and could have sworn that Massa drove past me driving an FF. Took me some time to catch up and pass the car, but couldn't be certain if it was him or not.

#822 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 00:51

On Friday after practice around dusk, I was driving toward Austin and could have sworn that Massa drove past me driving an FF. Took me some time to catch up and pass the car, but couldn't be certain if it was him or not.

Well, you could catch up and pass him, so it probably was Massa.

#823 punknhedd

punknhedd

• 88 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:57

Some of my pix from USGP:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#824 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45

Interesting article about the business of F1 in America.

http://www.variety.c...e/VR1118062563/

It may be the world's most popular motor sport, attracting billions of viewers, but is Formula One finally ready to take off in the United States?

F1's billionaire backer Bernie Ecclestone has lined up its biggest TV partner to date in NBC, encouraged team sponsors to use drivers to promote the brand Stateside and will turn to its deep-pocketed celebrity fanbase to rev up interest in the sport.

After holding a tight grip on the brand, the 82-year-old Ecclestone has loosened up, supporting new film and videogame deals and approving moves to court the YouTube generation

#825 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:57

So I stopped to refuel my Ferrari at the Shell station on E. Ben White & Fernando Alonso pumped my gas!

;)

Posted Image

I got one of those signs from the Shell station next door, and a big COTA "Welcome to Austin" F1 banner from the Blind Pig. :)

:cool:

Edited by CONOSUR, 26 November 2012 - 03:57.

#826 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:55

From Thursday's pit-walk...right after walking in the gate w/me looking up the front straight...

Posted Image

Not sure, but I think I'm the guy in the Atlas tshirt (the other guy is one of my buddies from Chicago). :)

Yeah...we were already having fun.

#827 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08

Btw...toted the Atlas flag all day Friday. The whole way around the track. Before P2 was over, both my flag poles broke (the other was a yellow Ferrari flag). It was really kinda windy...and I know wind, so...trust me, it was windy.

Anyways, I wasn't going to wear it as a cape Saturday and Sunday, so, if you have video from P1 or P2, you can see it (me) on cam around and between T12 and T11 (at least what I've been able to discern from looking at my dvds).

Hey, I gave it a good shot. No regrets here. Sorry I missed you. Or, rather, sorry you missed me! <snicker> I was buying. Posted Image

#828 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:46

FOM was unusually keen on shooting the stands this weekend and give helicopter angles of the entire circuit just to show off how well attended the race was. It was a success but the test will be next year. Most inaugural races sell out but the following years they struggle. Just look at Abu Dhabi, despite being a successful race this year the grand stands on the front straight were no at full capacity.

...but this one didn't.

#829 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:49

No can do. I was with a journalist, and I can't give details. I will say that the driver isn't currently racing in F1.

Well, let's see.....Rubens was in the paddock all weekend and was all smiles.

Hmm...

#830 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:52

If Perez is doing well, they could sell 125k just to Mexicans. The best thing for the attendance of this race is to not have a race in Mexico.

So will the 2014 Mexican GP in Mexico City drag down the USGP?

#831 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:54

I was nearly crying with joy. This race is as good of a new start for F1 as one could possibly hope for.

I was told that Tavo cried tears of joy in his Paddock Club suite Friday morning.

Wow. Hotels already making the same mistake as this year.

Thousands of rooms went unsold due to blocking and overpricing. People simply looked elsewhere or canceled outright.

http://www.kxan.com/...-for-f1-weekend

Edited by AustinF1, 26 November 2012 - 20:58.

#832 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:00

Well, you could catch up and pass him, so it probably was Massa.

Felipe, Punknhead is faster than you...

Sorry guys. Been slammed ever since about the Wednesday before the race, but here are all of my 2012 USGP photo albums to date. Still working on my Sunday collection:

Wednesday...Fill 'er up, Fernando:
https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=3

Thursday & Friday at COTA:

Saturday at COTA:

Edited by AustinF1, 26 November 2012 - 21:22.

#833 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:49

So the teams favorite late night hangout seemed to be Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. Saturday night, I got to talk to Otmar Szafnauer (CEO of Force India) and Ciaron Pilbeam (Race Engineer for Mark Webber). Otmar commented that he knew 90% of the people in the bar that night. No drivers there, though. I never would have known who they were if I weren't there with someone who knew them personally.

I got to hear a driver announcement that hasn't been made public, yet.

So, end of the season, who was announced?

#834 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:36

Sooo...I finally got around to posting my Sunday USGP photos. My biggest album ever by far. Hope you see something you like! Pictures are in sequence from pre-race prep to the the podium ceremony and post-race BBQ at Cooper's. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Samples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#835 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:24

I really like the two shots from behind.

#836 BRG

BRG

• 11,571 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:32

Posted Image

Now she has got to be the skinniest grid girl I have ever seen. Looks like she could do with a few Big Macs.

#837 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 899 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:32

So, end of the season, who was announced?

Its all in my posts.

Force India
Not driving F1 this year,
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Here is one journalist's opinion.
There’s a long list of candidates who might land the slot alongside Paul Di Resta at Force India, including the team’s former driver Adrian Sutil, who could make a return after a year on the sidelines. The team still has a lot of time for the German.

#838 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:27

[quote name='AustinF1' date='Nov 26 2012, 20:54' post='6053310']
Wow. Hotels already making the same mistake as this year.
Thousands of rooms went unsold due to blocking and overpricing. People simply looked elsewhere or canceled outright. "

This may be of interest, its just one person's experience of trying to do the Texas F1.

It was quite obvious COTA was assuming F1 = high rollers.
If people that attended detailed their itinerary to them I bet they would see some surprises, that said I'm in no way claiming to be typical.
Having attended the Indy races and Montreal races since 2000, I planned to go to Texas as soon as it was announced.
Unlike Indy / Montreal, the first thing that struck me was the complicated ticket buying procedure.
Travelling from Europe a PMSL was a no-no, I just wanted to book good grandstand seats online, with on-site car parking.
Both proved frustrating, and yet looking at the tv it seems thousands of fans managed it better than me, unless they just used magic or paid way over the top and/or booked through organised tours.

I wanted to stay in Austin, and was prepared to pay around the same hotel prices as Montreal ie around $250 to $300 per room per night with a 3 night minimum for something like a Hyatt, Intercontinental, Embassy Suites, Hilton etc.
The Austin prices were more like $500 + with 5 night minimums with some close to $1000.
This led me to provisionally booking Hyatt Regency on San Antonio Riverwalk at a price I was happy with. This was changed to Hilton Garden Inn in New Braunfels along I-35 around 50 minutes drive from COTA.
We were flying into Houston on the Tuesday and flying out on the Wednesday after the race.

Having eventually managed to obtain seats, it was unsettling to read about not being able to park near the track and walk in, and mind stretching they were forbidding 10" lenses. The camera situation was quickly resolved, and I contented myself to using shuttle buses, not the end of the world.

Close to the event it became obvious if I had waited I could have bagged better seats for less money, and stayed right in downtown Austin, where we wanted to be in the first place, for less money than an hour away.

For 2013, the changes I would like to see would be...
*Simplify the ticket buying process.
*Allow on-site car parking to enable walk-ins.
*Hotel rates to be more realistic, especially losing 5 night minimum stays at big bucks. ( I don't mind staying 5 nights in Austin, but the only night that should be top rate is Saturday, with Friday too at a push, not ALL 5 nights. )

I doubt anyone will do anything about it, after all it looked to be very successful despite the things that bugged me, but for following years if they want the likes of F1 fans like us to come, they could help themselves by tweaking things a little.
Do it right and we'll be there every year, just like Indy, which God love them, had to be the easiest and best value F1 venue in the world to come to.

Edited by Joe Tanto, 28 November 2012 - 14:27.

#839 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:52

A measly $10 for Friday practice !!!
Your not wrong there Joe.
Jp

Advertisement

#840 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:10

This may be of interest, its just one person's experience of trying to do the Texas F1.

It was quite obvious COTA was assuming F1 = high rollers.
If people that attended detailed their itinerary to them I bet they would see some surprises, that said I'm in no way claiming to be typical.
Having attended the Indy races and Montreal races since 2000, I planned to go to Texas as soon as it was announced.
Unlike Indy / Montreal, the first thing that struck me was the complicated ticket buying procedure.
Travelling from Europe a PMSL was a no-no, I just wanted to book good grandstand seats online, with on-site car parking.
Both proved frustrating, and yet looking at the tv it seems thousands of fans managed it better than me, unless they just used magic or paid way over the top and/or booked through organised tours.

I wanted to stay in Austin, and was prepared to pay around the same hotel prices as Montreal ie around $250 to $300 per room per night with a 3 night minimum for something like a Hyatt, Intercontinental, Embassy Suites, Hilton etc.
The Austin prices were more like $500 + with 5 night minimums with some close to $1000.
This led me to provisionally booking Hyatt Regency on San Antonio Riverwalk at a price I was happy with. This was changed to Hilton Garden Inn in New Braunfels along I-35 around 50 minutes drive from COTA.
We were flying into Houston on the Tuesday and flying out on the Wednesday after the race.

Having eventually managed to obtain seats, it was unsettling to read about not being able to park near the track and walk in, and mind stretching they were forbidding 10" lenses. The camera situation was quickly resolved, and I contented myself to using shuttle buses, not the end of the world.

Close to the event it became obvious if I had waited I could have bagged better seats for less money, and stayed right in downtown Austin, where we wanted to be in the first place, for less money than an hour away.

For 2013, the changes I would like to see would be...
*Simplify the ticket buying process.
*Allow on-site car parking to enable walk-ins.
*Hotel rates to be more realistic, especially losing 5 night minimum stays at big bucks. ( I don't mind staying 5 nights in Austin, but the only night that should be top rate is Saturday, with Friday too at a push, not ALL 5 nights. )

I doubt anyone will do anything about it, after all it looked to be very successful despite the things that bugged me, but for following years if they want the likes of F1 fans like us to come, they could help themselves by tweaking things a little.
Do it right and we'll be there every year, just like Indy, which God love them, had to be the easiest and best value F1 venue in the world to come to.

Much of what you say here is what we (local Austin & Texas F1 fans) have been telling them for well over a year. It all fell on deaf ears. Selling a lot of tickets this year was easy due to pent-up demand...yet they still didn't get a sellout. The true tests, as you mention, will be years 2, 3, 4, etc. This is yet another in a long list of things that, to me, points to this ownership group's interest only in the short term good of the facility. It further indicates a complete lack of interest in the good of F1 and utter ignorance of, even disdain for the F1 audience with which they would need to become accustomed in order to survive long-term.

They've also managed to fire up many local hotel managers, restaurant & club owners, & other service industry companies, upset at having hired extra staff and making extensive preparations for predicted crowds of "F1 high-rollers" who simply didn't materialize.

#841 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:12

A measly $10 for Friday practice !!!
Your not wrong there Joe.
Jp

No doubt. People were practically giving away Friday Practice tickets. That may be the only day I go out there for next year's GP.

#842 metz

metz

• 9,722 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:47

In total, my 5 days in Austin cost me almost 3 times as much as my 5 days in Monaco.

Stayed in San Antonio and drove up Sat and Sun, and stayed in Nice and took the train.

Flew with airline points both times.

It's back to Monaco for next year.

#843 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:23

Our soiled and foiled plans were chronicled by Simon Arron in his USGP Diary
Thanks to ericok for his great shots...

Jp

Thanks Jon. Nice writeup. I posted it to the FB page. Sorry the RV didn't work out for you & your group. Staying for the weekend in an RV would be ideal, but it's only worth so much.

#844 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:50

In total, my 5 days in Austin cost me almost 3 times as much as my 5 days in Monaco.

Stayed in San Antonio and drove up Sat and Sun, and stayed in Nice and took the train.

Flew with airline points both times.

It's back to Monaco for next year.

Wow. That's insane.

#845 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:06

Was everything really as bad as I'm reading for those who went? I didn't have any problems at all booking tickets or a room. I bought tickets straight of the COTA link through Ticketmaster. Yes, I paid face value, so how cheap did they end up going for? I was in T3 and I think the tickets were $325 each for all weekend. More than Indy but I considered I was helping pay for the facilities (perminent bathrooms aside, they were fantastic) I rented a room in a locals residence for $200. Not bad at all to me since it was 5-8 minutes drive to the Expo Center and I had a maid on hand complete with hot meals served!

#846 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 15:54

I rented a room in a locals residence for $200. Not bad at all to me since it was 5-8 minutes drive to the Expo Center and I had a maid on hand complete with hot meals served!

dafuq? Brilliant!

#847 loki

loki

• 2,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:18

The first round of financial impact numbers are in for the race. According to the Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau and Smith Travel Research, occupancy rates and room rates were up significantly compared to the same period last year. That period last year included a home football game.

According to STR’s figures, this is how the weekend compared year-over-year:
• On the comparable Saturday in November 2011, when UT played Kansas State, 89.9 percent of area hotel rooms were occupied by people paying an average of $111.40 per night. This year on Saturday, Nov. 17, 94.4 percent of the rooms were occupied by people paying $300.44 per night. More rooms were occupied at a higher rate during F1.
• On the comparable Sunday in 2011, 41.1 percent of area hotel rooms were occupied by people paying an average of $86.52 per night. This year on Sunday, Nov. 18, 76 percent of the rooms were occupied by people paying $266.16 per night. Again, more rooms were occupied at a higher rate.
Lander said occupancy for downtown hotels this year on Nov. 17 was 97.8 percent. “It doesn’t get much better than that,” Lander said.

A 94.4% occupancy rate for the Sat night and a 97.8 for downtown are Vegas/Orlando during peak rates. I think some of the grumblings allegedly from the hospitality industry may be overblown. Those are great numbers. Not just good, great. The reported increase in hotel revenue alone is in the range of US$52 million. Around US$5 million of that are taxes directly attributable to the event.

http://www.statesman...ace-week/nTPbm/

But, and a big but, not being able to move the date next year to accomodate the football game may make it much tougher in 2013 to get accommodations and possibly anger the football fans with much steeper room rates. Hopefully they can change the date so the area can get two big weekends of pay dirt.

http://www.statesman...d-prix-d/nTNm9/

And another... Travis County says the roads around the circuit don't need to be widened and they aren't going to pay for it.

While future events other than the Grand Prix are not expected to draw nearly that many people, organizers will try to get as many cars into the circuit’s 17,000 parking spaces before shuttling people in, said David Greear, the county’s traffic program manager. That means future events, though less attended, could still clog roads in the area.
Completed improvements to roads around the circuit have cost $5.6 million, a bill that will ultimately be paid by the county. They include repaving Elroy Road to the north and east of the circuit and expanding Kellam Lane as the main entrance to the north end of the track.
County and circuit officials had previously agreed to widen those two roads to four lanes, but hadn’t decided who would pay. Now, Manilla said, officials are prioritizing other improvements, including a potential new road east of the track.
“Widening Elroy and widening Kellam were not at the top of things to do,” Manilla said.

http://www.statesman...vis-coun/nTLqW/

It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out or if they will continue to have a Silverstone type of traffic snarl for each race.

#848 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,486 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:55

The reported increase in hotel revenue alone is in the range of US$52 million. Around US$5 million of that are taxes directly attributable to the event.

The $52M increase is what was projected by COTA. It's not what was realized. The actual observed gain was less than half of the projection.

The $22.3 million incremental hotel revenue is on par with the Indianapolis average of $22.7, but TexasEconomicImpact.com estimated the incremental gain to be $49.8 million.

http://www.kxan.com/...ent-for-f1-race

What's wrong with the process is that the payment is based on the recipient's projection and not on actual performance.

#849 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,626 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:59

Well, next year, if I don't finagle the Mercedes Hospitality suite (which my buddy, Cracker, ex-Jordan now w/MercedesAMG, hooked me up w/this year), I'm going to do the Paddock Club and stay downtown in a 2-3 B/R condo. I can always get the Marriott Courtyard on 4th for $90/night as a fall-back option.

Austin has a great vibe. I absolutely loved being there. Hopefully the circuit's ingress/egress issues wil be resolved.

#850 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:39

I can always get the Marriott Courtyard on 4th for $90/night as a fall-back option.

300 E 4th St already showing " unavailable " so either its blocked for bookings or sold out already ?

My guess it will be more $200 or $300+ rather than $90.

Unless you have luckily reserved it already , in which case either way you are golden.

Wondering what'll happen if the date moves, I have already come slightly unstuck with Silverstone moving its provisional date hotel booking to finalised date.