Photo

USA Grand Prix 2012 - part 2

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#51 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 18:51

Any idea of when the designated parking lots areas for shuttle will be announced? Looking right now to book a room on the East side of San Antonio and I would like to be able to get an idea of the roads needed to get to the school bus......

They've announced shuttle lots in downtown Austin at Waterloo Park near 15th & Red River St, and at the Texas Exposition & Heritage Center on Decker Lane in far east Austin. there's been on-and-off talk of a shuttle lot south or southwest of the circuit to catch people like yourself staying on the south side, but all has been quiet from COTA for some time. However I'm pretty sure they've acquired a large piece of land a couple of miles east of Elroy on FM 812. What will they do with it? Who knows? They aren't saying.

Advertisement

#52 red stick

red stick

• 2,291 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:27

Any idea of when the designated parking lots areas for shuttle will be announced? Looking right now to book a room on the East side of San Antonio and I would like to be able to get an idea of the roads needed to get to the school bus......

The website for the track lists two, as AF1 says.

http://circuitofthea.../transportation

That seems like a lot of people to try to funnel through two locations.

Any word on a tentative schedule of activities?

Edited by red stick, 31 August 2012 - 15:29.

#53 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:49

Like in Montreal, it might be heavy on brakes.

#54 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:09

The website for the track lists two, as AF1 says.

http://circuitofthea.../transportation

Any word on a tentative schedule of activities?

Not lately. They threw around some times for track sessions in one of the applications several months ago, but it was pretty vague. Nothing since then.

#55 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:09

90 RV spots planned for Expo Center. Only $2000 each:

http://www.statesman...paces_avai.html

#56 red stick

red stick

• 2,291 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:41

They've announced shuttle lots in downtown Austin at Waterloo Park near 15th & Red River St, and at the Texas Exposition & Heritage Center on Decker Lane in far east Austin.

Among Austinites, which would you recommend in terms of (a) number of parking spots and (b) ease of egress after the event?

#57 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:47

Among Austinites, which would you recommend in terms of (a) number of parking spots and (b) ease of egress after the event?

Oy. That's a tough one. Both have fewer parking spaces than advertised. Both face challenges, but I suppose downtown has better access. It's also the choice if you plan to go downtown after track sessions. We also think there will be another lot somewhere, probably a tract COTA just bought a couple of miles east of Elroy in FM 812, but COTA isn't talking. Maybe they have other plans for that land.

Yes, 72000+ people (per COTA's plan) is a hell of a lot of people to try to move that way.

Edited by AustinF1, 03 September 2012 - 05:49.

#58 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:49

I just found this great video: http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Maby many people already seen this but I post it for those who didn't

#59 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 929 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:29

Oy. That's a tough one. Both have fewer parking spaces than advertised. Both face challenges, but I suppose downtown has better access. It's also the choice if you plan to go downtown after track sessions. We also think there will be another lot somewhere, probably a tract COTA just bought a couple of miles east of Elroy in FM 812, but COTA isn't talking. Maybe they have other plans for that land.

Yes, 72000+ people (per COTA's plan) is a hell of a lot of people to try to move that way.

I think I'm going to the track Saturday, but I don't think I even want to try on Sunday.

Advertisement

#60 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 425 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:18

Scares me to just thinking of the cluster f*** thats going to go on, but I will be out as early as they will pick us up to shuttle in.

#61 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 17:04

As much as I'd love to go to an F1 race (on home soil no less) I'm just going to watch this one on TV.

Perhaps I'll take in the NY race (if it happens). It will only be a couple of hours drive for me (which is still kind of sad considering I only live about 40 miles away - NY traffic is abysmal).

#62 red stick

red stick

• 2,291 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:00

Scares me to just thinking of the cluster f*** thats going to go on, but I will be out as early as they will pick us up to shuttle in.

That's kind of my thinking, too. Although I'm less worried about getting in than getting out.

#63 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:22

Another shot from a commercial jet:

Posted Image

Edited by AustinF1, 04 September 2012 - 20:23.

#64 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:28

Good observation. Hellmund designed that corner with a very narrow, blind entry so that if you aren't spot-on, you'll be vulnerable entering 11.

The thing that looks cool about 11 is that the way it is ... bulbous... the outside line could be almost as effectively as what looks to be the traditional line.

Now, if they'd paint some of the braking zones in such a way that there would be more choices on entry...

#65 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:38

COTA from the sky:

https://www.facebook...5...9693&type=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#66 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:48

I REALLY can't wait for this race, photos look great! And I still remember Korea, which was a nice offroad viewing experience, but this is sooo much better.

#67 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:52

USGP parking spaces now for sale.

$200 each.

http://us2.campaign-...mp;e=0b18e4db26

Also, just got word there will be 1400 porta potties on site.

...and no sales of 1-day passes for 2012.

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2012 - 00:21.

#68 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:32

COTA says 3 Del Valle Job Fairs were poorly attended. Community says "Job Fairs? What Job Fairs?" Nobody knew.

No list of Prohibited Items for at least one more month.

#69 red stick

red stick

• 2,291 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 13:26

$200 each.

I got that email, which I found puzzling since, because I don't have a ticket for Premium Seating, I can't park there. Right?

#70 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 16:26

I got that email, which I found puzzling since, because I don't have a ticket for Premium Seating, I can't park there. Right?

Well, that's what they said...but we know how that has gone so far.

BTW, did a little research...The next most expensive F1 weekend parking passes we could find were at Monaco & Silverstone ($100), and Spa ($70)....and 4-day parking passes for the Indy 500 and USGPs at Indy were $50. RVs park there for $120.

#71 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 16:59

Well, that's what they said...but we know how that has gone so far.

BTW, did a little research...The next most expensive F1 weekend parking passes we could find were at Monaco & Silverstone ($100), and Spa ($70)....and 4-day parking passes for the Indy 500 and USGPs at Indy were $50. RVs park there for $120.

Posted Image

#72 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:16

Posted Image

Well played, sir.

#73 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,898 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 20:10

It's coming along real nicely.

#74 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,178 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 20:21

$200 each.

Also, just got word there will be 1400 porta potties on site.

...and no sales of 1-day passes for 2012.

How much to use a porta-pottie? Can you buy a licence for the crapper?

#75 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:38

How much to use a porta-pottie? Can you buy a licence for the crapper?

A PPPL?

Here's a post from our FB page you might enjoy:

Nobu Kamino Pricing structure for COTA facilities/amenities:

3 day tickets: $150 - $1600
Parking for 3 days: $200
Toilet access: $5
Urinal usage fee: $2.50
Toilet stall access: $4.50
Toilet Paper: $0.50 per sheet
Program: $35
Beer: $12
Burger: $9
Cheeseburger: $11
Fries: $8
Hot dog: $8.50
Ketchup: $2
Relish: $2
Inquirty at Information Kiosk: $5
Same day re-entry stamp: $5

This is just a partial list.
Yesterday at 8:38pm · Unlike · 4

He was kidding, but you never know. We were thinking you could probably add bug spray, sunscreen, and rental chairs to that list.

They said last night they don't plan to release the list of allowable/disallowed items until at least the middle of next month. The reason? They say they want it to be fresh on everyone's minds. I think they're delaying until it's too late to react to it.

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2012 - 02:39.

#76 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:00

Top F1 Drivers Talk Texas...

Enjoy!

http://circuitofthea...vers-talk-texas

#77 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:53

Posted Image

#78 vespabear

vespabear

• 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 14:58

any chance we could have two threads here? one for people excited about the race and another for people that want to talk about how much they hate the COTA ownership? it's just a suggestion.

#79 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,810 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:04

any chance we could have two threads here? one for people excited about the race and another for people that want to talk about how much they hate the COTA ownership? it's just a suggestion.

Good luck. The Tavo widow's have dedicated their lives to bashing the current COTA group.

Advertisement

#80 vespabear

vespabear

• 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:19

Good luck. The Tavo widow's have dedicated their lives to bashing the current COTA group.

To be clear, I am ok with that and may even have a dog in that fight or not. Public forums should be all about free speech, but the title of the topic is "USA Grand Prix 2012" not "COTA ownership are mean baddies!". I'd like to talk about the race. I've lurked on Autosport for well over ten years. I screamed out loud in my office when I saw the impossible headline of the race coming to my hometown and started a savings account that day to attend. This City of Austin has so much to gain and so much share with the world. The track is going to be spectacular and the Formula 1 circus is going to have a blast in Austin. It's a shame that more than half of the posts under this topic are about the business/political side of the race.

#81 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,140 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:44

I've thought that for several months now. I'm happy to bash or defend the COTA folks as seems appropriate, but it is sort of cluttering up our discussions and anticipation of the race itself and the awesome track that is being built (without regard to whoever designed, paid for, built or is marketing said track).

#82 rsaca

rsaca

• 351 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:45

Posted Image

Man, I'd love to race on that track... The flow and speed look amazing, it seems it has key elements of other race tracks and pieced them together in a way it would really flow nicely.

Can't wait for November and witness it in person!

#83 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 22:16

Gonna be interesting when the leaders come up to lapped traffic in that section, for some reason it looks more claustrophobic than Suzuka esses..

Very much look like a circuit the drivers will love to drive though.

#84 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:56

Gonna be interesting when the leaders come up to lapped traffic in that section, for some reason it looks more claustrophobic than Suzuka esses..

Very much look like a circuit the drivers will love to drive though.

Yep. They aren't as big or as fast. The run up to them is also shorter.

Man, I'd love to race on that track... The flow and speed look amazing, it seems it has key elements of other race tracks and pieced them together in a way it would really flow nicely.

Yep. They worked very hard on that aspect. The circuit will be amazing. I get to drive on it in December. I'll try to get some pics and/or video, but by then, we'll all have seen F1 race it in anger.

Edited by AustinF1, 08 September 2012 - 01:58.

#85 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,222 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:51

If you bought general admission, your 3 day race ticket is cheaper than your 3 day parking ticket.

Way to gouge Team USAGP!

#86 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:39

It's like deja vu all over again:

Autoweek: Kevin Schwantz sues Circuit of the Americas over Moto GP agreement

http://www.autoweek....07/F1/120909873

...the suit says, “Defendants COTA and Steve Sexton [COTA's President] wanted the MotoGP race, but did not want to have to pay 3four as the promoter. So, while purportedly negotiating with 3four, COTA was actually scheming to side-step 3four and deal directly with Dorna so it could pay less by cutting 3four out of the picture. Through tortious interference and fraud, COTA and Sexton encouraged Dorna to breach and purportedly terminate 3four's agreement to avoid the obligation to pay 3four. 3four sues for what it is owed as the exclusive promoter of MotoGP in Texas.”

Schwantz's spokesperson attributed this statement to Schwantz: “I have devoted over 25 years of my life to MotoGP, the premier motorcycle road racing world championship. I spent four of those years bringing MotoGP to Texas, my home state. As a result, MotoGP agreed in 2011 to host an annual race at Austin's Circuit of the Americas [COTA] track. I'm sorry to say that COTA is now attempting to unlawfully force me out of this project. I believe COTA has committed fraud in doing so. Earlier today, I took legal action against COTA. I was forced to file this lawsuit in order to protect my rights, my reputation, and MotoGP itself. I want to see MotoGP come to Texas, but I cannot allow COTA to take advantage of me. More important, I will not sit idly by while a newcomer to racing discredits the sport I love.”

#87 vespabear

vespabear

• 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:32

Hey all visitors to Austin for the race weekend, let me know if you need info or recommendations for all things Austin. I am happy to pass along info about our great city!

#88 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,810 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:44

It's like deja vu all over again:

Yeah...another person trying to squat on rights to a race. Why should MotoGP or COTA need this parasite. He brings nothing to the table.

#89 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:39

IMO the track would be better if they ran it in reverse, but either way construction seems way ahead of schedule. Looks already in a higher state of completion than Korea

#90 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:05

Yeah...another person trying to squat on rights to a race. Why should MotoGP or COTA need this parasite. He brings nothing to the table.

Wow. Would you shoot your butler after he brings you your last meal because you don't need him anymore?

#91 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 22:43

COTA is denying there was ever a contract:

http://www.formula1b...#comment-157370

“It makes no sense for Mr. Schwantz to pursue legal action in this matter. We were informed by DORNA, the organization that holds the rights for the MotoGP racing series, that Mr. Schwantz has no contract to promote a MotoGP race in Texas,” Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. “To be clear, Mr. Schwantz never had an agreement to conduct a MotoGP race at Circuit of The Americas, and to our knowledge, he has no agreement to conduct an event at any Texas racetrack. Perhaps, that is why he is reacting this way, out of embarrassment, and is making false claims to the court and media.
“We know race fans would love to see a MotoGP event at the Circuit, and it is good to know that the door is open to make that happen at our new world-class venue in Austin.”

Strangely, though, Dorna seemed to think there was one back in Apr2011. Here's Moto GP.com's announcement from back then:

http://www.motogp.co...ounced for 2013

"Mr. Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna Sports, S.L. said: “We are delighted to be adding the Circuit of the Americas™ to the MotoGP calendar. It’s an honour to expand our Championship to Texas, which has a rich history of producing World Championship riders. We have had a wonderful and special relationship with Kevin (Schwantz) for 20 years and often talked about a mutual dream of increasing the popularity of MotoGP in the U.S. and raising our already successful worldwide profile. Now, with what Tavo Hellmund (Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions) is doing in Austin, we have realised that situation and are looking forward to this new venture together. The ten-year agreement is a sign of our confidence and commitment to the future success of MotoGP racing in Austin.”

I was at the press conference for the announcement. The COTA boys were all smiles. Seemed like they thought there was a contract too.

#92 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:23

New aerial. Enjoy.

Posted Image

#93 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:19

This is going to be a spectacular race.

#94 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:22

Really can't wait for this one. Never looked forward so much to a race, except for Spa + Melbourne.

Edited by Alx09, 11 September 2012 - 13:22.

#95 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,990 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:58

Here are some tighter aerials from a few days ago:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#96 metz

metz

• 9,790 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:58

Short pit lane... :eek:

#97 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:02

Short pit lane... :eek:

:confused:

We must not be looking at the same thing. It genuinely looks to be about three times the length of Montreal pitlane.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 11 September 2012 - 16:04.

#98 metz

metz

• 9,790 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:08

Montreal is on the outside of the track, thus adds length.
Austin is inside and cuts off part of the regular track, thus shorter.
Of course Monaco is the shortest but for a new design, I'm pleased to see minimum distances before and after the boxes.

#99 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:12

I think you don't properly evaluate the scale of the things in the pictures above.

Advertisement

#100 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:13

Anyone know the number of Laps yet?