Photo

USA Grand Prix 2012 - part 2

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#151 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:48

OK, I know it's just a video game. Who knows how it will play out in real life, but here are some impressions I have after "driving" COTA for about 2 hours tonight on the xbox:

- The esses are very tough at first but I'm starting to get the rhythm. Very unforgiving.
- T1 is a bitch because of the way it flattens out at the top.
- In race conditions , cars tend to really bunch up at 3 & 4.
- T11 not too bad once u get the feel...but its VERY unforgiving if you're just a tad off. Same in some other places.
- I regularly overtook in 1, 9, 11, 12, 20. Even some in 13 & 14. Who knows if it will be like that in real life, but at the very least there will be lots of overtaking as people make mistakes.
- 15-18 = awesome.
- Hard to see apex or beyond it on 19 in the game.
- IMHO, there will be intense action all the way around this circuit in the early laps.

Advertisement

#152 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:33

Great job US

Looks awesame and spectacular!!!

#153 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:36

Looks like we get:

AEROSMITH and CHEAPTRICK

In concert for the USGP weekend. I received an email with presale information for the show:

As part of the FORMULA ONE UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX weekend, Circuit of The Americas is presenting Aerosmith with Cheap Trick live on Friday, Nov. 16 at the Frank Erwin Center on the University of Texas campus in downtown Austin!

There is apparently a presale price for COTA ticket holders, and also for American Express card holders. I checked only one of the options and tickets ranged from $89 to $199.

Edited by bourbon, 20 September 2012 - 08:38.

#154 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:48

With all the great tracks in the states the powers-to-be decide to build another mickey-mouse tilkedrome out in the sticks. You could plop that track down anywhere and nothing would change. Featureless and dull.....just the way Bernie and gang like em. About the only bit that holds any interest is the incline at the start. We'll see I guess.

Apparently not, as you seem willing to condemn it before a wheel has been turned.

#155 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:11

This is a bit off topic but I felt a surge of irritation just now after seeing the picture of the track sign: CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS. It just smells a little bit like classic US exceptionalism; why couldn't they name it after a famous driver from the US or just the name of some cool sounding town near Austin. Why the need for some grandiose title that just screams "we are everything that matters in the whole of two continents."

I saw it on display at the US Open as well which is why it's fresh in my mind. Murray had just won the final and they had one British flag surrounded by about twenty US flags. It was completely bizarre. The woman who interviewed the players afterwards also made such a big thing about labelling the US Open the "greatest tournament in the world." Would they feel the need to do that at Wimbledon (which generally is regarded as the most prestigious of the grand slams)?

It's a finicky point because it's just a name (Circuit of the Americas) but I think it represents a mindset that is quite deeply ingrained on the other side of the pond. You feel they would have called it Circuit of the Universe if they'd thought of it.

That said, the track looks exciting and I'm sure our US cousins will host an excellent grand prix.

#156 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,250 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:16

This is a bit off topic but I felt a surge of irritation just now after seeing the picture of the track sign: CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS. It just smells a little bit like classic US exceptionalism; why couldn't they name it after a famous driver from the US or just the name of some cool sounding town near Austin. Why the need for some grandiose title that just screams "we are everything that matters in the whole of two continents."

I saw it on display at the US Open as well which is why it's fresh in my mind. Murray had just won the final and they had one British flag surrounded by about twenty US flags. It was completely bizarre. The woman who interviewed the players afterwards also made such a big thing about labelling the US Open the "greatest tournament in the world." Would they feel the need to do that at Wimbledon (which generally is regarded as the most prestigious of the grand slams)?

It's a finicky point because it's just a name (Circuit of the Americas) but I think it represents a mindset that is quite deeply ingrained on the other side of the pond. You feel they would have called it Circuit of the Universe if they'd thought of it.

That said, the track looks exciting and I'm sure our US cousins will host an excellent grand prix.

The universe doesn't matter, only America. :wave:

If there were 10 races in the America's they might have, but it is the only F1 purpose built track in the US so they gave it a grand sounding name.

You (non-American's) seem to get upset when we call something that is essentially American "world champions" and American's are confused why you care. We wouldn't make a peep if you called Manchester City world champions or Chelsea world champs.

It does make us upset that you named your circuit after the girl from Clueless. I mean she is lovely but really.... :p

#157 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:24

I like your posts usually but this post reeks of inferiority complex.

The reason why they called it COTA can be attributed to the fact that there is likely going to be a shitton of Latin Americans at the event (thus uniting North and South America, the AMERICAS), thereby justifying the name.

#158 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:13

The universe doesn't matter, only America. :wave:

If there were 10 races in the America's they might have, but it is the only F1 purpose built track in the US so they gave it a grand sounding name.

You (non-American's) seem to get upset when we call something that is essentially American "world champions" and American's are confused why you care. We wouldn't make a peep if you called Manchester City world champions or Chelsea world champs.

It does make us upset that you named your circuit after the girl from Clueless. I mean she is lovely but really.... :p

I'm sure you wouldn't but I just don't think the situation would arise. If Chelsea win the Premiership they are called the English champions and if Chelsea win the Champions League they are called the European champions. It wouldn't be accurate to call them anything else. I suppose the one difference is that the big sports in the US are completely dominated by the US, so you could assume that the champions of, say, the NFL must be the world champions. But it's not as if other countries get to compete is it? Calling them the world champions is just a bit silly.

It's hard for me to form an opinion because I've never spent more than a couple of weeks in the States, but is there a risk that naming strictly US sporting events as world championships feeds a massively US-centric view of the world. Every country is guilty of overinflating their position in the world but few do it to the same level, or encourage it amongst their citizens to such an extent. It's an almost paranoid level of patriotism, as if the US is the only thing standing in the way of Sauron's armies. Bin Laden's death is quite a good example; it wasn't enough that he was dead, the people in the street had to scream "U.S.A., U.S.A." as if they were celebrating a touchdown. Sorry, I've gone ridiculously off topic.

@slmk: If bringing the two continents together was the whole idea then that's very admirable and I've misjudged the situation completely. The only thing I'll say is that this is more a cumulative frustration rather than a one-off moment of annoyance. I wouldn't jump to the same conclusion about the track name if it was another country hosting it, and I think that says something about my possibly unfairly cynical views but likely says something about the US as well.

#159 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 14:31

To add to AustinF1's comments on F1 2012, there is this 5-lap race video I've found around Austin:

Looks good, although I can't help but feel that there is one to many 'esses' if that makes sense at the start of the lap.

Advertisement

#160 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 932 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 15:54

If anyone coming to the race is a Kids in the Hall Fan, Dave Foley is taping a comedy special at the Paramount Theatre in downtown Austin on Friday night. 2 shows, 7pm and 10pm.

#161 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:02

I like your posts usually but this post reeks of inferiority complex.

The reason why they called it COTA can be attributed to the fact that there is likely going to be a shitton of Latin Americans at the event (thus uniting North and South America, the AMERICAS), thereby justifying the name.

Yes, the name is intended as one denoting inclusivity, not exclusivity.

#162 BRG

BRG

• 11,908 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:09

Well, she is really British, as both of her parents are from over here. And we like her, so why not call the track after her?  ;) In fact, as there AFAIK is only one village in the UK called Silverstone, it is likely her dad's family came from there.

As for Circuit of the Americas name, it does ring falsely to me. There are other race tracks in the Americas, and they have far more history and legacy than this place. Interlagos for instance, and Watkins Glen, and Indianapolis, and Circuito Almirante Brown, and many more. But then the COTA coterie seem pretty good at throwing their weight around.

#163 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:16

@slmk: If bringing the two continents together was the whole idea then that's very admirable and I've misjudged the situation completely. The only thing I'll say is that this is more a cumulative frustration rather than a one-off moment of annoyance. I wouldn't jump to the same conclusion about the track name if it was another country hosting it, and I think that says something about my possibly unfairly cynical views but likely says something about the US as well.

I would agree with that. My perspective is a bit different as a colonial.;) I've had the pleasure of spending a great portion of my adult life traveling, living and working outside the US in all parts of the world. Particularly Europe and the UK. My daughter was raised in England and now works in London. I've temporarily lived in Amsterdam, Berlin and London for extended periods. We do have our sense of pride, just as every country does. (BTW, stellar job on the Olympics, England, well done!) I'm ASSuming you are in the UK, my apologies if you aren't. My point is that people in different cultures are more similar than different.

Back on topic, as stated by others the circuit is to be inclusive of all of the Americas. Many Canadians will come down. There is a tremendous amount of trade between the US and Mexico. Both legally sanctioned and not sanctioned. I'm no talking illegal drugs, but goods and services. At points it's almost like there is no border. I expect plenty of Brazilians and other South Americans to turn up as well. The influence of Latin and South America in the US, particularly the southwest US (no surprise since we basically took most of that part of the country from Mexico) is huge. I think the naming of this and the potential New Jersey race should be reversed. Austin should be the GP of the Americas because it will attract fans from all over the Americas. I don't expect the same in Weehawken which I think is likely to be attended by local east coast race fans, Canadians and some of our more well heeled brothers and sisters from the UK and Europe. NYC is an expensive place to visit. The inflated hotel rates for Austin are normal room rates in NYC.

One part is sorry I can't attend the race this year. One part is glad because I'd like to give them a year or so to work out the kinks. All said though, I'd much rather be there kinks and all.

Edited by loki, 20 September 2012 - 17:23.

#164 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 17:33

Pretty cool F1 2012 wet lap here:

Edited by AustinF1, 20 September 2012 - 17:34.

#165 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,250 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:25

Well, she is really British, as both of her parents are from over here. And we like her, so why not call the track after her? ;) In fact, as there AFAIK is only one village in the UK called Silverstone, it is likely her dad's family came from there.

As for Circuit of the Americas name, it does ring falsely to me. There are other race tracks in the Americas, and they have far more history and legacy than this place. Interlagos for instance, and Watkins Glen, and Indianapolis, and Circuito Almirante Brown, and many more. But then the COTA coterie seem pretty good at throwing their weight around.

I learned something! Thanks.

#166 CSquared

CSquared

• 625 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 21:47

With all the great tracks in the states the powers-to-be decide to build another mickey-mouse tilkedrome out in the sticks. You could plop that track down anywhere and nothing would change. Featureless and dull.....just the way Bernie and gang like em. About the only bit that holds any interest is the incline at the start. We'll see I guess.

1. I'd prefer they stay away from the great tracks with their mandated "upgrades." I don't want to see a repeat of the destruction, err, I mean, "improvement" of Hockenheim at Watkins Glen or Road America.
2. A new track is always a great thing, no matter how Mickey Mouse. All the club racers and track day runners within 1000 miles of Austin are thrilled to have a new place to run.

#167 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:34

Yes, to be perfectly honest I am. It's a lacklustre track at a lacklustre venue and nothing's gonna change my mind about that.

Can't comment on the venue, but the track doesn't look lacklustre to me. But it's very strange to take that attitude when you haven't seen any action yet. Are you really so closed minded that even if the race is fantastic you will still say it's poor?

#168 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 301 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:46

Yes, to be perfectly honest I am. It's a lacklustre track at a lacklustre venue and nothing's gonna change my mind about that.

It's great to see people being so open-minded on this board! :up:

#169 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,223 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:52

I'll wait till I see the race, but I tend to agree with jj2728. When you play it on PS3 you realize there won't be much overtaking oportunities during the actual race.

#170 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,420 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 00:14

Of course I'm not close minded and you should know that having read my posts on motor racing. This track is another Tilke-drome conceived for the ignorant masses that have no clue what a true track is all about. The racing may be fantastic, but that will not change my mind that the track itself has no character whatsoever.

Please elaborate.

#171 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 00:53

Shall I go on?

No need to go on.
Every track is different.
They all have their quirks.
A good example is Hungaroring. Always construed as a boring race. but, each year brings a neat and unpredictable race.
Give COTA a chance, it may have some quirks of it's own.
Looks pretty sweet so far!
Would like to get some drivers feedback to really see what counts.
Either way it's great to have a race back in the States.
STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE. FCS!!

#172 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:15

CotA killed jj's dog, obviously. Just built the track right on top of its grave too.
If you listen closely as the cars pass Turn 7, you'll hear the squeaky toy being trampled.

I've read your posts, and yep, it's pretty closed-minded behavior.

I hope it turns out to be the action-packed race of the year, and a future Classic. That should go down well. :lol:

Edited by gm914, 21 September 2012 - 01:24.

#173 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:59

CotA killed jj's dog, obviously. Just built the track right on top of its grave too.
If you listen closely as the cars pass Turn 7, you'll hear the squeaky toy being trampled.

:up: :lol: :lol:

The sad part for open wheel fans is the track will make more money from a Nationwide or even Camping World Truck Series race than from F1. There are some bragging rights and it's a good way for Austin and Texas to advertise B2B. When the value of that goes away and if the price to host the race escalates too much, F1 will go away. Simple business.

#174 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:12

Is that you Haywood??

#175 metz

metz

• 9,825 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:35

Of course I'm not close minded and you should know that having read my posts on motor racing. This track is another Tilke-drome conceived for the ignorant masses that have no clue what a true track is all about. The racing may be fantastic, but that will not change my mind that the track itself has no character whatsoever.

It is anything but another Tilke-drome.
From the beginning it was made clear to HT that this will be a racers circuit. Drivers and racers were consulted first by the folks that conceived the idea. The best elements of some very classic tracks (4 of which you mentioned) have been incorporated into the design. Many times Tilke disagreed and it was pointed out to him that that it will be built the way a racer wants to see it. In the end, Tilke comlained that he was only brought in to make sure the final results conformed to the stringent FIA safety and sporting requirements. He certainly had no free hand, and I think the track is the better for it.

#176 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,143 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:36

Paving complete at the track.

http://circuitofthea...nt-with-success

I'll be happy to see some new aerials with the track itself completed.

#177 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 22:56

So no reserving judgement until you actually see a race then?
Your mind is totally made up that this is just a terrible, terrible idea?
You'd rather see the tracks you listed (most of which couldn't host a modern-day GP) reconfigured to suit FIA regulations and bastardized out of recognition, than see something new and potentially very exciting see fruition.

Based on what, some build photographs? :rolleyes:

Give me a break.

And if you've read my previous posts, you'd know I don't wear any kind of pants while watching motor racing, so there goes your knickers theory to boot.
Peace, man. I just hope you find something constructive to do during the USGP weekend.
You're not planning to watch this catastrophe, are you?

#178 baddog

baddog

• 23,623 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:06

You'd rather see the tracks you listed (most of which couldn't host a modern-day GP) reconfigured to suit FIA regulations and bastardized out of recognition,

A couple of them are flat out not very good tracks for fast open wheel racing anyway. He is just living in a fantasy. Nothing about this track suggests it will not be any good, hell in 20 years people could be calling it a classic for all we know. Sure it has concrete runoffs which most of us hate, but then most of those others would acquire those if modernised, that decision has nothing to do with the circuit.

Edited by baddog, 21 September 2012 - 23:07.

#179 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 301 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:50

Being open minded has nothing to do with it. I am being realistic.

Either way, great to see! :up:

Advertisement

#180 loki

loki

• 2,155 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:44

Where there's a will there's a way so how do you know that they could not be upgraded without being re-configured to host a modern day GP?

I've raced on many of those so called "big" tracks over. You know, the part where one sits in the vehicle and actually races others on that circuit? Having been to them, having met several of the owners, I can safely say they will not invest what would be required for a weekend that at best may break even or perhaps a small profit. It's just not economical. Most of those circuits are in the sticks. Ever been to Plymouth, WI? How about Lexington, OH? Even Sears Point and Laguna are a fair hike to and from hotels and they are closer to a major cosmopolitan population area.

You've an opinion. That's all and well. However, it is a poorly formed one with regards to racing in the US. Dude, you just don't know...

Edited by loki, 22 September 2012 - 02:45.

#181 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:09

"Yeh but Mickey mouse, featureless" in three, two, one....

There doesn't seem much point continuing with jj. He's set in his opinion. The fact that he never responded to Metz' reply about Tilke and the influence on other tracks in the making of this circuit shows me he has no real interest (or point) being in this thread other than to troll.

*squeak* :cry:

#182 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:01

It is anything but another Tilke-drome.
From the beginning it was made clear to HT that this will be a racers circuit. Drivers and racers were consulted first by the folks that conceived the idea. The best elements of some very classic tracks (4 of which you mentioned) have been incorporated into the design. Many times Tilke disagreed and it was pointed out to him that that it will be built the way a racer wants to see it. In the end, Tilke comlained that he was only brought in to make sure the final results conformed to the stringent FIA safety and sporting requirements. He certainly had no free hand, and I think the track is the better for it.

Right. He built what Hellmund and Schwantz, former racers, told him to build.

#183 blackmme

blackmme

• 493 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:30

Right. He built what Hellmund and Schwantz, former racers, told him to build.

I spent a while 'driving' the Austin track on the new Codemasters F1 2012 last night and all I can say is it is, at least in its digital incarnation an absolutely fantastic race track. Very quick with a fantastic flow to it, I'm sure it's going to be a huge hit with the drivers. How it will be for spectators I don't know but in terms of racing in my opinion it could well become an instant classic. To be honest (again if the game has it right) for challenge and flow it's up there with Spa.

Regards Mike

#184 WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue

• 2,138 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:17

There seem to be a strong element of Tilke bashing and urban myths in this discussion and as usual some people prefer to be opinionated rather than being informed. Herman Tilke has designed some of the best modern circuits such as Istanbul park and Malaysia. He also did a few bland ones which isn't surprising considering the restrictions that are usually placed on the circuit design by the safety and commercial requirements. Both the FiA and FOM have a fairly heavy hand with circuit design and if not balanced by the decision making powers and racing competence of the owners new tracks will automatically turn out bland and uninspiring.

Contrary to some of those places where things went wrong the Austin track concept was pretty much fixed by Schwanz and Hellmund as we know. Those guys are passionate about their racing and saw to it that it started with a sensible concept. All that was to do for Tilke was adapting the concept to the actual location and making best use of the elevation changes available. I believe that Tilke had very little alternatives to the design he came up with.

One additional requirement on top of the usual FiA and FOM demands was minimum acreage use out of the available land. They managed to do this and as a result Epstein and his cohorts now have a huge piece of land left to sell or rent out at high rates. This was one of the important points regarding the financing of the whole scheme.

Most expert observers seem to agree that the track is going to be a favorite with drivers and spectators. I happen to agree with that view. There are high speed corners and demanding corners present and the track has elevation changes which many bland tracks don't feature. In my view COTA has the genes to outperform some of the most famous racing places in America. If you give it some years the place will probably become very popular simply because it is an exciting and very safe and modern track that also satisfies all logistical requirements to hold premium motor sport events. There are very few places in the US that tick all these boxes and have an F1 rating.

#185 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:33

There seem to be a strong element of Tilke bashing and urban myths in this discussion and as usual some people prefer to be opinionated rather than being informed. Herman Tilke has designed some of the best modern circuits such as Istanbul park and Malaysia. He also did a few bland ones which isn't surprising considering the restrictions that are usually placed on the circuit design by the safety and commercial requirements. Both the FiA and FOM have a fairly heavy hand with circuit design and if not balanced by the decision making powers and racing competence of the owners new tracks will automatically turn out bland and uninspiring.

Contrary to some of those places where things went wrong the Austin track concept was pretty much fixed by Schwanz and Hellmund as we know. Those guys are passionate about their racing and saw to it that it started with a sensible concept. All that was to do for Tilke was adapting the concept to the actual location and making best use of the elevation changes available. I believe that Tilke had very little alternatives to the design he came up with.

One additional requirement on top of the usual FiA and FOM demands was minimum acreage use out of the available land. They managed to do this and as a result Epstein and his cohorts now have a huge piece of land left to sell or rent out at high rates. This was one of the important points regarding the financing of the whole scheme.

Most expert observers seem to agree that the track is going to be a favorite with drivers and spectators. I happen to agree with that view. There are high speed corners and demanding corners present and the track has elevation changes which many bland tracks don't feature. In my view COTA has the genes to outperform some of the most famous racing places in America. If you give it some years the place will probably become very popular simply because it is an exciting and very safe and modern track that also satisfies all logistical requirements to hold premium motor sport events. There are very few places in the US that tick all these boxes and have an F1 rating.

Perfectly stated. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to ask me, "Are you taking the piss?". Though I was sceptical for some time that the whole affair would get off the ground, now that it has I must say that they've done a fine job with the venue. So, all piss taking aside, it has all the makings of a very good track.

#186 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:54

OK, I'll admit I'm confused.

#187 CSquared

CSquared

• 625 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 23:46

And if you've read my previous posts, you'd know I don't wear any kind of pants while watching motor racing, so there goes your knickers theory to boot.

:rotfl: I don't even know what that means, dude, but it made my day.

#188 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 00:01

:rotfl: I don't even know what that means, dude, but it made my day.

:lol: it's mostly true.

#189 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 00:25

:lol: it's mostly true.

Actually it made mine also..... ;)

#190 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:47

More fun things on BBC broadcasts.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Codemasters F1 2012 played by Hamilton Senna and Kovalainen around the Circuit of the Americas

My favorite part is Hamilton getting the pit entry completely wrong.

#191 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:30

IIRC, I mentioned a while back how low the RV pads looked compared to the track.

Looks like they're gone now. This photo is from 9/23:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's what they looked like before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AustinF1, 24 September 2012 - 22:50.

#192 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,039 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 23:04

Codemasters F1 2012 played by Hamilton Senna and Kovalainen around the Circuit of the Americas

My favorite part is Hamilton getting the pit entry completely wrong.

Haha even in virtual reality Bruno was crashing into things last weekend!

But yes, Hamilton's pit entry crash was funny as well! Not to mention the drivers trying to coach their engineers!

#193 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:55

Not really relevant to this thread in particular, but may be for the American F1 fans.

"Grand Prix of America in serious doubt after organisers' contract is torn up"

http://www.guardian......ian.co.uk F1)

#194 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:09

Statesman: FIA's Charlie Whiting in Austin to inspect COTA:

http://www.statesman...f1-2466520.html

#195 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:12

Latest Photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#196 Xpat

Xpat

• 4,250 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:15

Not really relevant to this thread in particular, but may be for the American F1 fans.

"Grand Prix of America in serious doubt after organisers' contract is torn up"

http://www.guardian......ian.co.uk F1)

It had been a few weeks since Bernie was in the press threatening this, that, or the other race, circuit, or organizer.

<yawn> He is as much of an attention whore at the Kardashians. He is a tiresome little man.

#197 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 383 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:56

Hey, look. We already have more grass than Bahrain and MMP combined.

#198 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:23

Hey, look. We already have more grass than Bahrain and MMP combined.

I'm sticking with Sam Adams, thanks though. :)

#199 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:53

I see they're offering shuttles from pre-defined parking locations - that they choose for you, and it says on their website "some parking locations may charge".

Does anybody know how much?

In other words, are we talking $5, or is this going to be one of those "lease some real estate for $25 a day" deals?

How are the general admission areas looking....?

Advertisement

#200 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:35

Whiting: One DRS zone for Austin, between turns 11 & 12.

Pics via @jeffstensland:

Posted Image

Posted Image