Photo

USA Grand Prix 2012 - part 2

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#201 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:42

It had been a few weeks since Bernie was in the press threatening this, that, or the other race, circuit, or organizer.

<yawn> He is as much of an attention whore at the Kardashians. He is a tiresome little man.

Maybe so, but the GPoA president quit a while back. Sadly, there are problems there. Hopefully they can be remedied.

Hey, look. We already have more grass than Bahrain and MMP combined.

Yes, but not where it counts. 90% (educated guesstimate) of the existing grass is in the infield areas. The entire huge GA area between 18 & 19 has no grass, like large portions of other GA areas. It's bare dirt. Pray for dry weather.

I see they're offering shuttles from pre-defined parking locations - that they choose for you, and it says on their website "some parking locations may charge".

Does anybody know how much?

In other words, are we talking $5, or is this going to be one of those "lease some real estate for $25 a day" deals?

How are the general admission areas looking....?

This is upsetting news for some people, as many of them already have downtown hotels booked within walking distance of the downtown shuttle. Now they're being told they may have to get transportation to the other lot and go right past the downtown lot to one several miles away.

As for the cost of parking, remember when COTA kept touting the free bus ride? We've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for some time. Sure, it's "free" bus ride. You just have to pay to park your car in the lot in order to participate. Don't expect the $5 rate.

Re: GA areas, see above. Also, don't plan on seeing anything from the GA area below Turn 10. It's steeply downhill from the track. The others should be great if it doesn't rain.

Edited by AustinF1, 25 September 2012 - 18:00.

Advertisement

#202 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,376 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:45

For one, I am really excited about the forthcoming race at the COTA Posted Image and many thanks to AustinF1 for his/her updates and photos.

#203 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,419 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:53

^Seconded.

#204 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,366 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:01

Why does anyone even attempt to do business with BE?

#205 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,009 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:30

IIRC, I mentioned a while back how low the RV pads looked compared to the track.

Looks like they're gone now. This photo is from 9/23:

Please.....please don't talk about RV pads....it hurts too much. :cry:

#206 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,123 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:29

Whiting: One DRS zone for Austin, between turns 11 & 12.

I was hoping the DRS would be on the main straight.

There doesn't seem to be much need for DRS on the back straight, as you have more than a kilometer of straight with a solid braking zone at the end. Surely the cars can pass without DRS in those conditions?

#207 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:31

Ten new aerial photos from the Statesman:

https://www.facebook...5...e=3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#208 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:32

I was hoping the DRS would be on the main straight.

There doesn't seem to be much need for DRS on the back straight, as you have more than a kilometer of straight with a solid braking zone at the end. Surely the cars can pass without DRS in those conditions?

Yeah, I agree. Months ago they were saying there would be two. Hope they picked the right one!

#209 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 148 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:25

Curious as to what speed the second last turn will be taken at. Looks like it could be quite fast (200kph+), but it's hard to tell. Could be very interesting if it's fast, as it comes immediately after the extremely long muti-apex high speed right-hander (the Turkey turn 8 clone).

Thoughts?

#210 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:37

Curious as to what speed the second last turn will be taken at. Looks like it could be quite fast (200kph+), but it's hard to tell. Could be very interesting if it's fast, as it comes immediately after the extremely long muti-apex high speed right-hander (the Turkey turn 8 clone).

Thoughts?

It's hard to say exactly how fast it will be but I agree it looks very fast & I think it will be a test for the drivers.

#211 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:09

As for the cost of parking, remember when COTA kept touting the free bus ride? We've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for some time. Sure, it's "free" bus ride. You just have to pay to park your car in the lot in order to participate. Don't expect the $5 rate.

The 1% - or the 10, 20% don't get it. This stuff adds up. I really want to go but... oh well.

Re: GA areas, see above. Also, don't plan on seeing anything from the GA area below Turn 10. It's steeply downhill from the track. The others should be great if it doesn't rain.

The USGP at Indy was such a great thing.

#212 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,237 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:22

The 1% - or the 10, 20% don't get it. This stuff adds up. I really want to go but... oh well.

It's not what is it was, don't worry. There are no V12s, no sparks, tickets are 10 times more expensive. It's really a poor imitation of the more fan-friendly show that would race at United States street tracks equally crappy to those used by CART only 20 years ago. Somehow CART style tracks, tram lines, bumps and all, are not good enough for them anymore :rolleyes: .

Surely it would be easier to just slow F1 by 5 seconds a lap with aggressive temporary aero rules ("supplementary regulation: 1 plane only rear wing for United States Grand Prix"?) so they could use humble grade 2 circuits like say Road America? The new surface would be a treat there.

American fans have such a choice of accessible world class motorsport, in my opinion expecting race fans to pay the kind of dollars that Brits are asked for the British F1 GP and expecting a similar turnout is just ridiculous.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 26 September 2012 - 06:28.

#213 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:36

Don't these doubts over a new race surface for every single new GP. If Bernie says he has doubts to me that only confirms the GP is going ahead.

Edited by JRizzle86, 26 September 2012 - 10:34.

#214 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:10

Posted Image
Is the plan to keep it clean like that with only grass in the middle of the circuit so that spectators can see most of the track?

#215 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,876 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:15

Just saw the track layout the other day. looks very nice, i think it will be a very good replacement to Istanbul. it has a croner that apparently Tilke wanted to make exactly like turn 8, no?

#216 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,385 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:57

The USGP at Indy was such a great thing.

IMS and Indianapolis are used to big events. They've made getting to the circuit easy and tickets and parking are dirt cheap compared other races. My bus ride into Silverstone cost more than my parking, bus ride, and ticket to the USGP at IMS. They have a lot of experience.

#217 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,268 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:28

The track looks brilliant, I hope it is a success. :up: Looks quite ready too given the race is only in 2 months time. Plenty of time to polish the details and make everything look a bit greener in the immediate surroundings to the asphalt.

#218 03011969

• 411 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:37

I've been really enjoying this circuit in the F1 2012 game. There's few tricky sections and looks like some passing opportunities too. I was looking forward to the race anyway, but even more so having done some laps round the sim/game version.

#219 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 13:38

Don't these doubts over a new race surface for every single new GP. If Bernie says he has doubts to me that only confirms the GP is going ahead.

Where has he said anything about the race surface or cast any doubts over the GP going ahead?

Advertisement

#220 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:06

Is the plan to keep it clean like that with only grass in the middle of the circuit so that spectators can see most of the track?

I believe so. Haven't seen anything else planed for that infield area.

#221 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:09

The track looks brilliant, I hope it is a success. :up: Looks quite ready too given the race is only in 2 months time. Plenty of time to polish the details and make everything look a bit greener in the immediate surroundings to the asphalt.

The track is basically finished. It's the finish of the infrastructure, the interior of some of the buildings, and the grounds immediately surrounding the track that are in hurry-up mode. Pray for dry weather.

#222 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:11

I've been really enjoying this circuit in the F1 2012 game. There's few tricky sections and looks like some passing opportunities too. I was looking forward to the race anyway, but even more so having done some laps round the sim/game version.

I agree. I've made some passes in places I didn't really expect to. If the track races anything like the way it does in the game, it should be quite entertaining.

#223 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,123 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 16:19

I assume there will be some video boards placed here and there on the infield side of the track, but nothing else has been suggested in any documents I've seen.

#224 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:42

I just posted 40+ new COTA Construction photos. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Sign installation on FM 812:

Posted Image

Turn 10 from Mr. Haywood's, just above the bottom of the GA area:

Posted Image

RV area.

Posted Image

Turn 9-10 GS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Portable office trailers (Team Buildings?) behind the T11W GSs.

Posted Image

The Longhorn Straight from Mr. Haywood's hill.

Posted Image

Mystery Tower:

Posted Image

COTA from the shuttle lot on McAngus Road.

Posted Image

Turn 1 and the back of the Pit Building, from the shuttle lot on McAngus Road.

Posted Image

Edited by AustinF1, 27 September 2012 - 06:54.

#225 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:50

Looks like about 650 seats in the Turn 12 GS are now available for purchase.

https://oss.ticketma...uy/details/12F1

Edited by AustinF1, 27 September 2012 - 07:55.

#226 August

August

• 1,958 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:40

Has anybody noticed from Google Earth that they've tightened T9? FIA's as well as Tilke GmbH's websites still have the original profile, here's the onlymap with a tighter T9.

#227 red stick

red stick

• 2,274 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:46

They're now offering 3 day parking at the Austin airport with a shuttle to the track for just under $40.00 after taxes and fees. Shuttle times to the track are supposed to be in the 20 minute range.

Edited by red stick, 27 September 2012 - 21:32.

#228 SDLRob

SDLRob

• 66 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:54

Looking at the track, i'm not sure which team it'll suit more.

#229 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:05

Has anybody noticed from Google Earth that they've tightened T9? FIA's as well as Tilke GmbH's websites still have the original profile, here's the onlymap with a tighter T9.

All the current maps, like the seating maps, etc, show the reconfigured 6-9. It was done a long time ago but most people missed it as they never made any mention of it. Tavo's original had a longer, faster approach to 10. There would have been a very fast, very steep uphill approach from 9 to 10 (maybe a smaller Eau Rouge?) , making for two successive very fast lefthanders in 9 & 10. Now they've slowed it so much as to take much of the challenge away. Guess the FIA didn't like the faster version. There was also originally a longer, faster approach to a slightly tighter turn 2. Would've been great. According to this, we have Tilke engineer Johannes Hogrebe to thank for the slower approach to 10:

http://www.statesman...should-1/nRnFP/

Here's an elevation of the old one. There was also a version with a left-right kink between 9 & 10 running around what was then planned as the Motorsport Driving Club building...and iirc there was a very early version with no stadium section and the 6-10 sequence you see below. I've searched several times, but I can't find those others any longer.

Posted Image

Here's a model that still showed the extra turn between 9 & 10:

Posted Image

Here's the current revision:

Posted Image

Here you can see the difference between the old turn 2 and the current one. Now that I look at it, since the version below it seems like they've also rounded off T17-18, turn 3 is not as tight as before, and they've slightly shortened the run up to it, reducing the speed entering the esses:

Posted Image

ETA: LOL, you got me started thinking about all of this & I just went crazy!

Edited by AustinF1, 27 September 2012 - 17:53.

#230 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,856 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:45

Indeed, those esses look slower than I had anticipated, which is fairly disappointing. Suzuka it is not although opening up turn two is a positive.

Edited by Disgrace, 27 September 2012 - 16:47.

#231 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:33

For those of you still searching for tickets, in addition to the ~1200 available on TicketMaster in the T1, T12, & T15 GSs, it appears there are also seats available at Formula1.com in the T6 & T11W GSs.

https://oss.ticketma...uy/details/12F1

http://uktickets.for...t.dll?qscr=tsdt

#232 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:16

COTA has released their list of Prohibited Items:

http://6bd32fe3d0a84...ms(9.28.12).pdf

The following items will not be permitted inside the gates of the circuit. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.

 Alcoholic Beverages
 Animals (exception for certified service animals)
 Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
 Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of
transportation
 Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
 Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
 Food and Beverage (Note: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed)
 Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
 Glass or metal containers of any style
 Illegal substances
 Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees,
balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
 Large, golf-type umbrellas
 Non-collapsible chairs
 Tents or canopies
 Video cameras, still cameras with lenses exceeding 10 inches in length or detachable lenses of any
kind, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed
 Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items

The following items will be permitted inside the circuit gates.
 Blankets
 Umbrellas (small, hand-held style)
 Baby strollers
 Portable, collapsible chairs
 Personal camera equipment (e.g. digital cameras, point-and-click digital cameras or film cameras)
 Binoculars

NOTE: All bags, purses, backpacks and persons are subject to screening by security personnel. Fans entering
Circuit of The Americas should prepare accordingly.
Smoking will only be allowed in authorized areas. All security measures are subject to change without notice.

#233 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 815 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:26

No still cameras with any type of removable lens? That is the only kind I have. I could probably get away with my Speed Graphic.

Posted Image

Edited by Frank Tuesday, 28 September 2012 - 15:29.

#234 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:52

That's a heck of a list. There are some obvious ones that really shouldn't even need listing, but food, drink and cameras! Glad we can take all that stuff in at Silverstone. And good luck trying to stop people taking video footage.

#235 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,856 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:56

A ban on food and drink tells you all you need to know about how much they're going to cost and what size they're going to be in the circuit.

#236 Collective

Collective

• 1,056 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:00

No drinks? Are they out of their freaking minds?

#237 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:04

A ban on food and drink tells you all you need to know about how much they're going to cost and what size they're going to be in the circuit.

It's the same MO that they had at the Olympics. At least there the Spectators were usually only in the stadium for half a day and it wasn't roasting hot.

#238 metz

metz

• 9,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:10

No (alcoholic) drinks in the RVs?
Insane!.... :mad:

#239 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:14

I've been hoping for this since wayyy back.

Autoweek: WEC / ALMS doubleheader coming to Austin on 22September2013 (TBC):

http://www.autoweek....PORTS/120929803

Statesman: 6-hr WEC endurance race penciled in for Austin...Sep22, 2013 (TBC).

http://www.statesman...iled_in_f.html/

Advertisement

#240 LateApex

LateApex

• 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:45

I can't bring a horn? How am I supposed to support the Vuvuzuelan?

#241 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:27

And no radios, so no listening in on the team broadcasts. Maybe the list of what you can take would have been shorter.

#242 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 815 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:47

Statesman: 6-hr WEC endurance race penciled in for Austin...Sep22, 2013 (TBC).

http://www.statesman...iled_in_f.html/

The cars must be able to handle the rigors of racing at average lap speeds of 175 mph in races that are at least six hours long. Teams are required to change drivers every few hours.

I think they might be off on the average speed a bit.

#243 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:59

Looks like there's already an online petition re: the camera lenses:

http://www.thepetiti...for-the-usa-gp/

#244 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:04

Also, via Dave Doolittle at the Statesman, GrandAm has announced a provisional spot for a Mar 2, 2013 Austin race:

http://www.grand-am....d...=6383&sid=1

#245 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:21

Surely this list of prohibited items is just to cover the circuit in case they want to take action against an individual causing " a problem ".

F1 has probably more fans with DSLRs and long lenses than any other event.

To even refuse cameras with interchangeable lenses, regardless of size, to even include little M4/3 cameras is really odd.

A Canon 1Dx with 70-200mm f2.8 is less than ten inches, but the fact the lens is able to separate from the body means it would be what, confiscated on entry, with the hope it would still be there on exit ? No chance.

Silverstone lets you use any cameras so long as for personal use, maybe COTA will amend this notice to the same.

Otherwise there are going to be a lot of pissed off race fans.

Anyway, for 2013 they will have a problem banning musical instruments, all the Mexican McLaren Perez fans are sure to bring their tunes, just like Montoya fans at Indy.

Edited by Joe Tanto, 28 September 2012 - 19:22.

#246 LateApex

LateApex

• 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:51

And no radios, so no listening in on the team broadcasts. Maybe the list of what you can take would have been shorter.

They want you to rent one of those handheld radio/video doohickies at the track. I see "big ass flag on a stick" isn't listed - I'm bringing one of those.

#247 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:54

They want you to rent one of those handheld radio/video doohickies at the track. I see "big ass flag on a stick" isn't listed - I'm bringing one of those.

Think they have that covered in this catch all clause.

 Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees,
balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)

#248 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,009 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:01

Otherwise there are going to be a lot of pissed off race fans.

Going to be?

#249 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:11

I see Illegal Substances are forbidden. What a shame, as I intended to bring a big bunch of them. More to the point is the ban on weapons - isn't this Texas???

Actually the list is similar to India last year. Also, if you read the (extremely) small print on the tickets for Le Mans thos year, you will find a pretty similar list of bans.

#250 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 421 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:38

@AustinGrandPrix: #COTA revises policy due to fan feedback, "lenses smaller than 10 inches in length WILL BE permitted on site." #DSLR